Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My supposition is that LE had established a date/time that they thought was the last Suzanne sighting-maybe the 8th?- and then they confirmed that she had been seen after that. Lauren is taking apart the statements made piece by piece the same way we are here. It’s hard to tell what they truly mean.
In describing the request for citizens to save security video, Lauren said "......for two days before May 10th, and for two days after.......". Those are pretty standard LE parameters and don't construct a timeline.
Also, the timeline constructed for her article begins with May 10th and is titled "Search Timeline". There is no evidence that the timeline LE is using varies from that, only speculation IMO
Two months into search for missing Chaffee County mother, investigators “aggressively working this case” | FOX21 News Colorado

Last edited:
No, not referring to TS. This was a “local friend” who was taking part of the live FB with Lauren Sharf - by posting comment(s) - OP, has interacted with this local friend - presumably online? I don’t think this person has been mentioned here before- and can’t - that why they are requesting initials...??
Thank you! I must have mis-read that conversation. I have deleted my post. Thank you for the correction.

Still a prime suspect; however, If it turns out SM was last seen on Mother’s Day, there are some sleuthers who are going to have to do some rearranging in their puzzles.
IMO

When SM was last seen or spoken to is the one thing that LE has been willing to comment on publicly in these Lauren Scharf interviews. No, they don’t answer the question. But they also don’t give a pat “part of the investigation” answer.

First, they told her they were seeking tips to see if she was seen/spoken to later than believed.

Now, they say that she was seen/spoken to later than first believed.

I believe there is reason they choose to comment on this to a journalist, not once but twice.

I’m not sure it means she was last seen on Mother’s Day. Maybe. But I’m pretty sure it means they are getting closer to finding her and they want someone to know that.

MOO

Exactly!!
Now, what the heck could that mean? For starters, I am assuming we are not talking about 'later than Mother's Day' -- because the case is not being run as if SM just ran off and then contacted the police on June 2 to tell them she was sick of her life and wanted to start over somewhere else. Or that a ransom demand came in and they talked to her on the phone. Right? (This is all speculation on my part.)

They DO still feel that she is dead or captive, don't you think? It has to mean that someone saw her or talked to her after May 7 but not after May 9. Which is no help, really, unless that sighting itself had meaning -- it wasn't just a store cam of her grocery shopping on May 8. Arrrrrgh.

I have that same question.
I need to actually watch that FB live she did myself if it's still posted.

I'm not entirely confident that LS didn't misspeak or misquote LE in that live.
Having read some of her tweets and articles, I think it's entirely possible that she may have unintentionally misspoken. That's not a criticism of her.
Nobody's perfect.
Misreporting happens in MSM.

I'd prefer to hear it directly from LE that SM was last seen later than they originally thought she was seen.

I'd also like verification from LE that this was a verified independent sighting, as opposed to BM saying it was the last time he saw her.

Of course, the difficulty with that statement, even if accurate, is that LE hasn't come out and told the public what time they "originally thought" SM was last seen, so we're without any frame of reference.

If a true statement, it's an interesting one.

I have my doubts as to the accuracy of it.

JMO.
Exactly. We have no idea what time LE originally thought SM was last seen -- we can only infer a time, based upon LE's request for home/business video from May 8 - 10. Their statement only narrows the window in which she disappeared.

Is that a bit weird? He comes all the way for the hunt, but stays home with his mate's missus for a day? And why didnt BM take time off work if his buddy was visiting?

Maybe he visited a lot and it wasnt something they made an effort for. Just seems a bit odd to me, I share your curiosity @Knox .
bbm
Good observations !

According to TS in the article, he'd visited twice in 2019.
Sorry if misjudging but it seems odd for the husband's friend to stay and visit with only the wife.
If. as the friend put it, there were no cracks in the marriage -- I can't see Suzanne being entirely happy with her DH's friend hanging out for the day while her husband was at work.
Just saying.

IIRC the personal item wasn’t found until Thursday, 4 days into the widespread search for SM. Makes me think this item was very small and therefore not easily visible. I’m going with Airpod, key or jewelry/ring.

Perhaps the item was discovered four days later because it was planted. It seems BM was all over the area so who knows. MOO

Lauren is also trying to get friends and acquaintances of Suzanne to come forward, too. Evidently that isn't working either. Was Suzanne a very private person and shared little of her private life? She only got there 2 years ago and didn't have that many friends? She taught school in IN. Did she not get involved in schools in CO? A lot of our contacts are through work and if she didn't teach in CO maybe there are not many contacts for her. That said I'd love to hear what the folks in the bike shop, coffee shop and other places have to say about her. But we're not getting it. So far.

Yes, not much said about SUZANNE at all.

What is SUZANNE like? Does she love to bake? Is she a bookaholic? What does SUZANNE do to rest and recharge? What special activities does she do with her daughters? Her siblings? (Who I guess are satisfied with just keeping SUZANNE in their thoughts everyday.)

But Barry. Him we are hearing about. I know more about him than SUZANNE, the missing person! And he’s not out in the news keeping SUZANNE at the forefront of things because he’s a “private person” and “grieving?”

Wow. Just, wow.

What the silence of SUZANNE’s side of the family says to me is they don’t think she is missing. They know she is dead, and they know who is responsible.

Otherwise, wouldn’t SUZANNE’s side of the family be as vocal as heck??

(To those who say that LE asked SUZANNE’s family not to talk publicly about the case, I haven’t seen where LE confirmed that. I think BM farmed out that idea to the family, back in the beginning before the family caught on to what was going on—misdirection.)

I thought Skinner said he was tired of hunting, so stayed back?

But yeah,why was Barry working if his buddy was visiting to go hunting? That seems odd. Sort of like,his buddy isn't important enough to take a day off?

moo

JMO but it doesn’t seem that odd to me. The buddy hunts, they have a house outside Salida, might have a “come stay any time” sort of attitude toward friends. My friends in beach and mountain areas open those invitations, but don’t rearrange their work schedule for visitors. Dinner together is typically expected. Pre-pandemic, of course.

It’s weirder to me that the guy decided not to go hunting and hang out with SM.

MOO

bbm
Good observations !

According to TS in the article, he'd visited twice in 2019.
Sorry if misjudging but it seems odd for the husband's friend to stay and visit with only the wife.
If. as the friend put it, there were no cracks in the marriage -- I can't see Suzanne being entirely happy with her DH's friend hanging out for the day while her husband was at work.
Just saying.

yes, that would be weird to me & I would be totally uncomfortable. JMO

It's sad to me SM's family doesn't have anything more to say than they're keeping her in their thoughts.
I mean, we're all complete strangers to her and that's what we're doing, at a minimum.
I hope if I ever go missing my family has more to say about me than that.

jmo

JMO but it doesn’t seem that odd to me. The buddy hunts, they have a house outside Salida, might have a “come stay any time” sort of attitude toward friends. My friends in beach and mountain areas open those invitations, but don’t rearrange their work schedule for visitors. Dinner together is typically expected. Pre-pandemic, of course.

Yep I agree. It wouldn't be weird to me if friends came up, some skied/hiked/biked and some didn't, and I might have to work (even working from home, I still have to bring home the bacon and might leave my guests to themselves for a few hours).
BTW the altitude can make a second consecutive day of any of these things pretty taxing for someone from a lower altitude.

My boss is a big hunter. His house looks like the Morphew's. His friends come and go all year long. Some more than others. It is not uncommon for people to be staying in the house when he is not around. The Morphew home looks to be very large. She was probably used to the comings and goings of Barry's friends. I don't find it odd at all.

It isn't my cup of tea, but I know it happens a lot.

It's sad to me SM's family doesn't have anything more to say than they're keeping her in their thoughts.
I mean, we're all complete strangers to her and that's what we're doing, at a minimum.

jmo
I’ve been thinking about this and IMO they have nothing more to say because they know she’s not coming back - it’s not “going to end well” and to say anything more would not help - they can’t plea for her safe return because she’s gone - they can’t publicly accuse anyone either - a difficult position for sure
JMO

jmo

I feel like there’s an explanation for this silence. If LE has been clear to them about their direction, they may have very good reasons for staying quiet publicly.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member