Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please know that my agreement to the possibility of an affair / jealous other woman, is without intent to pass judgement on BM. He is an attractive, apparently wealthy and appealing man. Its not unheard of for a man to give into temptation when his wife becomes ill. With the wrong woman, ending such a relationship could trigger a fatal reaction. Lets hope this is not the case.

My sense is that the perp a situation is known.

Its a theory and I am just speculating.
It's a worthy theory. Having a theory doesn't mean we want it to be true. If Suzanne is no longer living (which we honestly don't know), I'm sure we all would prefer an accident happened and it all went quick.

But, given that other possibilities exist, I think OW should be included at this point.

To me, there are still few strong possibilities. So far, with what we know now, I'm not really able to winnow down any of my theories except LE is not considering self-harm so I crossed that off my list.

jmo

It appears there is one neighbor nearby but the homes in that area have large parcels of land that are mostly wooded.

The Morphew home is circled in red and a neighboring home is circled in blue.

JMO
Oh wow, to a city mouse such as myself that just seems so far apart haha. But in reality they aren’t THAT far from each other. Though simply based on location it does seem more likely that the two families probably don’t run into each other as much as those of us in the city run into our neighbors.

It appears there is one neighbor nearby but the homes in that area have large parcels of land that are mostly wooded.

JMO

On this topic and that photo..... See how there's vegetation on those approach roads? Suggests to me not much coming and going.

Also, the "neighbor's" house circled in blue is not accessed from the T junction near SM's house. It's accessed from the wider dirt road further towards the main road. In other words, although it's the closest neighbor as the crow flies, it might very well not be the closest neighbor by road.

On this topic and that photo..... See how there's vegetation on those approach roads? Suggests to me not much coming and going.

Also, the "neighbor's" house circled in blue is not accessed from the T junction near SM's house. It's accessed from the wider dirt road further towards the main road. In other words, although it's the closest neighbor as the crow flies, it might very well not be the closest neighbor by road.
Is it important at this point to know which neighbor called?

jmo

The reason why I "pondered" about lockdown and whether it was odd not to spend mother's day together etc was because things are quite different here in the UK, compared to some US states at least, re lockdown regs. It would be v strange here right now to be away overnight for leisure (in fact, not allowed). It's good to get a full picture.

I often dont spend mother's day (March in the UK) with my mum because restaurants are jammed and service can be lacking as a result. We usually have something at my house, or go out another day near to it. This year the virus had just hit and I darent even send her a card in case it was contaminated. I digress :( ....

My point is @CheesyCat that no offence is intended. Just casting the thoughts net out.

It sounds like a VI could be really helpful in this case.

JMO

As far as the nephew being so concerned and not calling the husband his uncle, instead "the husband" which sounds kind of snide, I'm wondering if he is part of this landscaping company and they don't get along on issues.
Well if that is the case, perhaps LE needs to reign him in. I am sure LE did not appreciate him leaking information about the investigation. And setting up a go fund me account without his uncle's blessing is disrespectful. LE is conducting the investigation and searches. Did he state what he was using the money for?

I learned my lesson this morning....I had hoped to avoid reporting posts and that fellow WSers would get my hint not to continue a certain topic, by my plan backfired. :(

Best to follow the rules and simply report posts that aren't MSM. Duly noted!

jmo
Oh my, thank you for the alert. I’m more distracted these days and missed the hint.
:oops:

I can't figure out where the "neighbors" are, because there's, like, no neighborhood. This house is remote and on a big piece of land. That area seems to be a bunch of canyons with interspersed swathes of trees.

Also, "drive by curiosity" on my part....Is that area a bedroom community for somewhere? Vacation homes? Why is it getting developed? Is there work of some sort nearby? Are owners technology tele-commuters? Are there special services nearby? Why are there houses out there? In other words, "What is this place?"
Maybe you could say the country is running out of places to put houses so they're in more and more unlikely places, but...
When you mentioned the area is being developed...it makes me wonder if there are any houses being built currently. To me it seems as if a worker could have been able to stalk her from his work site. For example, noting what time she went out on a bike ride most days, or something of the sort. While I do believe the answer is much closer to home, I think this is a viable scenario. JMO

JMO but my theory is that the family was probably out of town that day and since it was Mother’s Day they became concerned when they couldn’t reach SM. One (or more) of them called the neighbor and asked them to go over to the house to check on her.

Since SM was not found at the house maybe the family asked the neighbor, or the neighbor offered, to drive around the area to see if they could find her. Perhaps SM had mentioned a bike ride earlier to one of her family members?

IF SM’s bike was found near the HWY 50 & Co Rd 225 trailhead where the first searches took place on Sunday evening, maybe the neighbor spotted her bike there and called LE?

ETA: I wonder if SM called her mother on Mothers Day?

JMO
Very good call @osu

JMO

I believe the "neighbor's house" is the less apparent smaller brown house in the upper left corner of the photo you show. It is farther east on Pumas Pass Road, closer to where the road meets Highway 50.

The house circled in red isn't on the same street as the Morphew home. It's across the South Arkansas river and accessed from a different street from Highway 50. It's accessed from country road 225, with the bridge that crosses South Arkanses River. This is also the road that leads to the Fooses Creek trail, along which somewhere her bike was reportedly ( mentioned here on WS) found.

From the Google streetview from Highway 50 there is an interesting sign just on the south side of PP Road. It's diamond shaped and yellow and has 4 lines of text I can't read. It might be the sign directing to the Monarch Spur Campground and RV park which is farther east along that same road.

Also, the Zillow piece on the Morphew's house mentioned a$27 a month HOA, and I found that strange. I'm not sure what that $324 a year would be for other than maybe a Post Office Box or taxes on the HOA. It looks like there might be other buildable lots on that street. That money certainly isnt paying for snow removal or a gate or much else.

It's kinda a nice area to recreate in. I'd be happy renting a place there for a couple of weeks in the summer, or maybe in the winter for some backcountry skiing. But I wouldn't want a giant home there. I'd want a more cabin-y experience. It's just too remote and their road is too easily accessed from Highway 50 without anyone noticing.

Last edited:
If the scene was staged, bike being found, then other items being found away from it, ...what would that convey? Would that make you think it was a more personal crime or a professional, random attack? jmo

When you mentioned the area is being developed...it makes me wonder if there are any houses being built currently. To me it seems as if a worker could have been able to stalk her from his work site. For example, noting what time she went out on a bike ride most days, or something of the sort. While I do believe the answer is much closer to home, I think this is a viable scenario. JMO
Hmm...that makes me think of an idea that might be "out there," but are there people who live off the land in that area, like a wanderer without a permanent home?

At this point, I'm considering anything, but I don't know if that is a possibility there, of people living in the woods, long-term style.

jmo

- Someone asked if TN was speaking on behalf of the family or just doing his own thing. I'm not sure it's been clearly stated either way, but he did set up both the FB Find page, and the *** accounts, so, there's that. Hard to really know for sure why he called his uncle "the husband". That did seem odd.
^^sbm for specificity

If you listen to this audio of TN from Friday morning and his response to the reporter's question about searching this weekend, I'm more of the opinion that TN has hired and/or organized a search effort not related to the official search by law enforcement. This is also the impression I had after reading his write-up for the Fund campaign.

Not taking away or discounting his emotions, I think it's impossible not to notice the immediate recovery to speak clearly of that Fund again and also the Official FB Missing Person page he set up for Suzanne.

I think I'd be more comfortable with these efforts if I knew they were endorsed by the Sheriff, CBI, FBI, etc.

MOO

Hmm...that makes me think of an idea that might be "out there," but are there people who live off the land in that area, like a wanderer without a permanent home?

At this point, I'm considering anything, but I don't know if that is a possibility there, of people living in the woods, long-term style.

jmo

I would assume there are definitely some with this lifestyle in CO. Especially in this area...seems very rural, no cell phone service, town of 135, etc. Would not surprise me if there are wanderers in this area. This brings the stalker theory back into play, with all the windows on the house, it brings SM into plain view for anyone in the wilderness to see several times a day, I would assume. However, I would think they would have found more personal items, or dogs would have tracked her scent, unless this so called wanderer has a vehicle. JMO

I wonder what the deal is with Monarch Spur Campground and RV Resort.

Is is open now? Are there caretakers year round? I hope LE has checked them out and searched every building or RV there. It would be extremely easy to get to the Morphew's house undetected, night or day from there and if someone was checking them out, someone taking a walk along the Pumas Pass road could just be someone from the campground stretching their legs or taking the dog on a walk.

If the scene was staged, bike being found, then other items being found away from it, ...what would that convey? Would that make you think it was a more personal crime or a professional, random attack? jmo
Personal. IMO.

I say personal because generally speaking, the only reason that someone would stage a crime scene or disappearance would be if it would easily be linked back to them. If this is a random attack, no need for staging.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member