Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I expected to hear profanity from BM in that video with TD. In my opinion it was the ideal setting for him to ‘story tell’ and he didn’t even use a ‘damn’. A lot of professionals I know would have inserted a ‘hell’ or damn somewhere during that chat.
I have often wondered if BM suspected TD was an undercover detective? Taking time to stop and get out of his truck like that for a total stranger and then walking TD to the bike location to “show him what happened” and proceed to introduce all these theories in rapid succession making sure to criticize LE for contaminating the crime scene. BM didn’t cuss (maybe he truly never does) but he seemed nervous and anxious during the TD “interview”. Maybe BM saw TD looking around where BM’s truck was parked near the creek (TD said he felt like BM might have been hiding and watching him). Then a short time later TD saw BM drive right by him when he was walking down the road towards M’s house while he was making a video and talking into his phone or GoPro (whatever he used to “secretly” record BM). If TD could see BM clearly enough in his truck to describe his appearance in detail (shirtless, wet, red chest etc.) then surely BM saw TD as he passed him on the road and saw him recording. Maybe BM thought TD was an undercover detective who was snooping around. He might have been paranoid about LE surveillance and thought well if he is watching me I’m going to go back and talk to him and show him I am a worried loving husband out searching tirelessly for my wife and he took the opportunity to present to someone he thought might be LE his other theories or options for Suzanne’s disappearance. Maybe he thought he would convince TD who would go back and report to LE that he saw BM out searching and I think she was really abducted...or eaten by a “cat”...or was thrown in the river. I’m not sure I believe that BM thought TD was just a nice guy that came to help search for SM. Therefore, I’m not sure if he was speaking as freely as he normally would to TD. He still might not normally drop f-bombs but I’m just speculating that we haven’t heard how he normally talks. I also wonder if he normally speaks with such grandiosity and lack of emotion? IMO

Last edited:
<modsnip>

Perhaps I should have worded it differently.

••. Not all controlling people / abusers kill their spouse or victim.

••. Not all victims of abuse kill their abuser.

There. Some more FACTS no more no less.

peace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One TD video question-the truck that BM was in-was that BM’s truck? Or his Mom’s? Didn’t it have Indiana plates? I am just trying to figure out if by then BM had his truck back, or if his Mom had a truck.

Interesting thought! I did find one near where Suzanne lived a few days before the LE date of her going missing. If you look at the map and the home address it's in the area.

Firefighters save ghost town cabin from burning in wildfire on Colorado mountain pass | OutThere Colorado

I did read about that one but it was small enough but it appears FF got close enough to the building to ensure there were no victims.

I'm more interested in fires that occurred not quite as close to Maysville but north. I thought perhaps an individual who is trained in how to fight a fire and survive could also figure out how to start a fire and survive. There were a couple of forest fires in May in a couple of state parks. Can't find a link at the moment.

I did read about that one but it was small enough but it appears FF got close enough to the building to ensure there were no victims.

I'm more interested in fires that occurred not quite as close to Maysville but north. I thought perhaps an individual who is trained in how to fight a fire and survive could also figure out how to start a fire and survive. There were a couple of forest fires in May in a couple of state parks. Can't find a link at the moment.

This specific fire was on May 5, so much earlier than our time frame. Cinco de Mayo - a memorable fire! Not to be picky and beat a dead horse (what else can we do at this point?) but if those were volunteer FFs it shows how much they're needed to fight fires.

In the US, 4 women a day are murdered by their intimate partner.

Murders by Intimate Partners Are on the Rise, Study Finds

This is absolutely true! I am completing SANE training at the moment and just FYI.... non-fatal intimate partner strangulation is a searing red flag for eventually being killed by the partner. These women and men are literally at the edge of homicide.... :( If you ever encounter anyone that has been non-fatally strangled by a partner, do what you can to get them away from this situation. It could save a life...

<modsnip>

Perhaps I should have worded it differently.

••. Not all controlling people / abusers kill their spouse or victim.

••. Not all victims of abuse kill their abuser.

There. Some more FACTS no more no less.

View attachment 255805

Actually, those are deductions. We have no way of studying ALL the people in any group.

Almost any time we put the word "all" into a statement and add the word "not" to it, it will be logically sound. The exceptions would be the laws of physics or similar.

All H20 is made of hydrogen and oxygen. That's a fact.

In the world of humans, almost nothing can be stated about "all" of us - I can't think of anything, really.

Statistical analysis is useful, though. Most women who are murdered are murdered by an intimate partner. True or false? I say true. Has anyone studied ALL women everywhere on the planet? Nope. We rely on the FBI and other data collectors for this information.

During CoVid, domestic violence and homicide have gone up. That's what the preliminary data from the FBI/Department of Justice seems to say. Have they analyzed ALL cases? No. In fact there are probably many murdered women who are among the missing persons that this board is devoted to.

Actually I think the word “gossip” misses the mark and perhaps diminishes others opinions when remarking on BM’s demeanor.

When it comes to painting BM’s behavior as “controlling” let’s look at his “on tape behavior” in relation to his wife’s disappearance.

In both instances we have available he strives to control the narrative.

His facebook plea is all BM. A controlled message, no collaboration with LE, no press with any questions. Just Barry, basically making a selfie video, trying to control his facial expressions to go with the words. I wonder how many times he ran through it until he got it to where it liked the finished product. He lost me at “Oh Suzanne” –looking so earnest and chagrined – such out of place phrasing.

Then we have the video taken by TD. I don’t for a nano second think BM did not know he was being videotaped. Another opportunity to control the narrative in a risk free environment and once again it’s all about BM posturing. And there is Mom in the truck who never says a word – just a member of his supporting cast. BM manipulated the whole conversation. He even strives to intimidate TD by telling him something like he will come after him if he is taping the conversation.

So if I examine what I see? I see a man who seeks to control. To me it’s not gossip, it’s reasoning. Observing behavior and seeing patterns.

We all keep trying to figure out what LE learned that first night that seemed to direct their focus in one direction. What if it was the neighbor who called in the missing person report at Barry’s request? What if Barry said something to her that she knew was untrue?
As she is reporting to the responding officer, she may have said something like:
BM said he went to Denver early Sunday, but I saw the truck at the house mid day.
BM said SM went for a bike ride but I know her bike is broken
BM said he talked to her Sunday morning, but I saw them go out together on Saturday and she didn’t come back with him.
I checked my video cam after I talked to BM and I saw........

Tried to respond to this last night but was having problems with the site. I was so happy to see some did. Thought it was and is brilliant. The neighbor hadn't occurred to me but all of this is certainly possible. Whatever it was, that tipped them off in his direction, happened early on.

I just watched the Profiling Evil video.

The first 6 minutes covers background on Lauren and general info on using social media as a source. The rest of it sounds like a rehash of the same points that Lauren had in her FB post last week. Not much new of substance. However, it keeps the case in front of the public and with the family and LE not talking there really isn't much for Lauren to work with. She said she will be in Salida today, so I hope she learns more today. I believe at this point Lauren is going to have to interview Salida residents in order to learn anything new.

Tried to respond to this last night but was having problems with the site. I was so happy to see some did. Thought it was and is brilliant. The neighbor hadn't occurred to me but all of this is certainly possible. Whatever it was, that tipped them off in his direction, happened early on.
Yeah, that was an excellent post, and it really got me thinking.

Up until then, I’d been thinking about BM making a huge error in more of a general sense. I hadn’t given a thought to very many specific scenarios that could have accounted for the way law enforcement approached this.

Being busted right off the bat, also helps to make sense of why he wouldn’t appear in front of the news cameras. It’s not so much that he just doesn’t care to, it’s that he really can’t do that.

If law enforcement knows he is lying, then he can’t go out there and feign concern. The most important thing is influencing LE’s opinion, and not ours.

He also couldn’t risk furthering the damage, which is probably why he made that video. He had to do something, so he could influence the opinion of family and friends.

Thanks again @OldCop

A lot of people were suspicious of BM from his 26 second video, so imagine that trained LE, talking to BM in person, may have heard or seen something that seemed incongruous to them...something that made them think there might be more to the story.

Naturally they'd be checking out everything he told them -- that's Investigation 101. They would not just believe everything without verifying what's true, what's not true. That means checking alibis, all of it. It's standard to do so. It means looking for evidence of a crime at the victim's domicile in addition. Yes, right away, before too much time elapses. There are certain procedures that are done in every case. Just like anyone might have a set of procedures and tasks as part of their job. So, while there would be teams out searching for SM, there would also be one or more teams looking for evidence of something occurring closer to home--at home.

IMO

Last edited:
I just watched the Profiling Evil video.

The first 6 minutes covers background on Lauren and general info on using social media as a source. The rest of it sounds like a rehash of the same points that Lauren had in her FB post last week. Not much new of substance. However, it keeps the case in front of the public and with the family and LE not talking there really isn't much for Lauren to work with. She said she will be in Salida today, so I hope she learns more today. I believe at this point Lauren is going to have to interview Salida residents in order to learn anything new.

BBM:

I'd also actually love to see LS reach out to SM's close friends back in Indiana.
There is definitely a woman identified as a best friend of SM's on social media, who has obviously been friends with her since back in high school.

SM's long-term friends can undoubtedly provide some insights into what SM's personality was like, her primary character traits, etc.

I think back home in Indiana is where a potential treasure trove of information lies.

JMO.

Last edited:
BM doesn’t appear to use profanity. This is rare. (Source: conversation with TD)

BM prays before his meals. This is also rare. (Source: Skinner in LS interview.

Guys who don’t swear and pray before their meals, don’t generally kill their wives. So if BM murdered his wife, what in the world happened??

Plenty of religious people abuse or even kill their partners. Or sexually act out with children. Or sexually harass people.

A lot of times, abusers hide behind masks of Good Behavior, which is why the profile for some criminals (predators in particular) include "blends into society, is perceived as upright."

It can be a disguise. I think the jury is out on this one.

A pastor at a church about 20 miles from me is currently in jail on domestic violence and related charges. He came close to killing his spouse, and this isn't the first time (she took him back after the first couple of times). It's a much larger story of his violence and acting out - but both his wife and his congregation forgave him. This time, he has harmed one of his daughters and church is suspended by CoVid (which may be a factor in his behavior...) I don't think he's getting out soon on this one (wife refused to testify in the first case).

I can speculate either way. But I don't think praying and not cussing is any disqualification to domestic violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab