Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Body Recovery But LE Quickly Treats as Suspicious Injury/Death. Why?
Shortly after MisPers report is receved and investigation begins , if LE quickly (say, 4-24-72 hrs) swerves from all possibilities on list* to focus on poss death by husband, what would cause change of focus so quickly?

Evidence of Severe Injury or Death, but short of body recovery? These at home?
---amt/volume of blood lost at scene is inconsistent w life, matches victim's DNA.
--- small amts of brain tissue, indicating non-survivable injury.
--- small amounts of other tissue, e.g., a few fingernails or teeth, not necessarily a non-survivable injury, but in conjunction w a few other clues, e.g., evd of fight/violence, (DomVio diary, email, texts, other e-trail?) well, possible? my 2 cts.

??? What other evd/clues would support injury/death (at home?), caused by husband (or other?)--- that LE could have discovered so quickly?
...................................................................................................................................
* At very beginning, LE is open to all possibilities:
--- lost/injured/attacked in wildernes, still there, & needs rescue?
--- deliberate self harm, ending in death?
--- secretly left to live by self or w other-person-in-life, spontaneous or looooong planned?
--- abducted by stalker/stranger/local-ish resident/old-home-area person/transient; who also
(spontaneous or planned), intended to hold as captive for nefarious purposes & eventual death?
--- suffering injury/death, spontaneous or planned, at husband's hand?
^^^^I think list covers ~all except little green man in UFO landing on US Hwy 50?^^^^^

Every single thing they have done, has him at the center.

When a woman riding a bike goes missing, it’s entirely possible that a random crime of opportunity occurred. In that case, law enforcement would quickly release an official poster, with a photo and detailed physical description.

They would follow this up with frequent press conferences.

Here, they immediately began handling this as if it was a homicide investigation. That tells me that they had not only compelling information to that effect, but nearly irrefutable evidence to that effect.

They didn’t pull out the abduction playbook, but the homicide one.

Since then, we’ve seen multiple searches of the residence, and an extensive search of a property her husband worked on.

You don’t go dig up someone’s property without a damn good reason, especially if it involves days of digging and sifting.

It also would involve a warrant, which would require probable cause.

They have evidence this man killed his wife. This is not a guess, or based on statistics. This evidence has allowed them to obtain warrants, and hopefully gather more evidence.

So they’re without a doubt looking at Barry
MOO, LE has given off mixed messages. IMO, they absolutely DID initially pull out the abduction (or endangered person) handbook. True, they didn’t put out the usual BOLO for an abduction or a missing person, but what DID they do? They devoted, I believe the Sheriff said, 2,000 man hours searching the area where SM would have ridden. This was the main focus for the most important first week. There was a sense of immediacy, and they brought in drones and dogs in these first days. Time was of the essence if she were still alive. They called in reinforcements from the CBI to help search. On May 15th, 90 investigators (wow) searched a 2.5 mile area where a personal item was found. They closed Monarch Pass for an inconvenient amount of time to comb the area. They searched in and along water sites near the bike trail(s). This all screams “suspected abduction or endangered person” to me! And as the days progressed, it probably morphed into a body recovery effort. I think that perhaps the bike’s condition or something they found at the home created a sense of urgency and the need to mount a search of this duration and scale. I don’t think that a clumsily “staged” bike would trigger this massive effort.
Too, LE would naturally rip apart the home of a missing person, regardless of whether they suspected kidnapping, murder, accident or suicide. They would come back often if they needed to.
The slab excavation is another thing altogether. But I maintain that BM was one of dozens of people with access to that site. I am very curious to know what tip led LE there. And what they found, if anything.
No outcome will surprise me, because right now there’s not much to go on. Sigh...

Seriously...............everything that has been publicly done by LE is just good investigative police work. An arrest of BM does NOT seem imminent to me. His alibi is very simple and easily checked. We don't know the details but LE does. Just because LE hasn't publicly cleared anyone doesn't mean any particular person is still under suspicion. Again, not clearing anyone is admirable LE practice. 66 days with no arrest in sight is not unusual for a complex investigation. If BM murdered his wife in an fit of temper, or did it for money.......it would be a simple case. LE could get warrants, gather evidence, test evidence, get security camera video, and maybe get some good talkative witnesses and wrap it up. LE would NOT be releasing houses automobiles and even little diggy-thingies back to their owner. No body? Doesn't seem to be a problem in Colorado any more.
It's not happening. That indicates to me that this is a much more complex case and a much more complex investigation, perhaps even multi-state and multi location. It very well could be testing the vast resources of the federal government and of other states besides Colorado. We just don't know. We don't have a clue, yet. IMO

Would LE use the fact, that a lot of people naturally look at the spouse as being the perpetrator, LE would use that to their advantage wouldn't they? Maybe they do have someone in mind and are 'using' BM, and waiting for a mistake to be made by another suspect that we have no knowledge of? ( Just throwing it out there, got to consider all possibilities - even slightly far fetched ones ;))

MOO. When I look at this picture I see a man with flat eyes, seemingly a bit annoyed. He is “guarding” the doorway in a controlling manner. His wife is hanging back, very tentative, with a smile that doesn’t look quite genuine, but she must show it to say “everything is all right here”.
What do you see?
Mr. "Beaming man" is definitely NOT amused and not beaming any longer. Their faces, BM's and SM's, don't fit together in one photo - quite strange. My first thought was, when I saw the photo: who did take it surprisingly in front of their door? I think, it must have been one of the daughters. No pleasure for the daughter, to see her dad looking so bad-tempered at her, shielding her mother like an aggressive bouncer. MOO

@branmuffin -- Did you state in an earlier thread that your daughter is married to a JW? If I'm mistaken, I sincerely apologize. But if you did, you have the great fortune of having an abundance of information available to you that addresses each excellent point that you made in your post. The status of our world today is frightening, and the fact that SM's family and friends must awaken each day without her is a tragedy. However, we know that LE is working diligently to locate SM and bring the perpetrator(s) to justice. For those who believe in the power of prayer, we can, at the very least, pray that these hardworking LE professionals be blessed with the necessary wisdom and endurance to solve her disappearance and bring some measure of comfort to her loved ones.

I got a mouth of a truck driver. That's just the way my brain thinks. It's not the way I act or treat others. ;)

I respect people who use profanities elegantly. Like, coining profanities into a phrase, or making an adjective out of a profanity. It takes imagination to use dirty words in an innovative way.

If it were a member of my family/close friend - I am not to sure how I would be able to keep quiet - it appears to be quite unusual

I don’t want to suppose having no facts, so let me use “I”. Imagine I can say an earful about the guy I dislike, what a lying, angry, bigoted hypocrite he is. But by doing so, I’ll invariably implicate another person, who was probably manipulated into the situation, has later moved on, and is undeserving of gossiping.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

To me, this picture tells the real story.

So we have a picture. Probably a hotel room, from the looks of it, a doorway connecting two rooms directly. Check out the locks on his right side facing camera. But while you all are looking at his face, I note he is left handed. That fact might come in handy later. And there’s a pile of what? Pillows, blankets to his left, right side of the picture. At first I thought they looked like bags of rice. More hotel stuff.
ETA: Yes, he looks a bit annoyed. Trying to get comfortable in a hotel room and kids or others wanting to come join them when he had other ideas. :mad:

Last edited:
That guy Tyson Draper who talked to BM and made that video of their conversation. CBI talked to him on 2 different occasions. He told that to the profiling evil guy's.

Interesting. I wonder what Tyson's response to CBI may have been. On the one hand, I can see him wanting to be helpful. We all want Suzanne found. OTOH, I can see him not wanting to cooperate with CBI: Why would anyone agree to an interview with Tyson in the future if they believe that he'll be assisting investigators? Of course, I don't know if Tyson's goal is to "make it" as a YouTuber or if his channel is just a hobby.

She has reached out and no one will talk to her. All her family will say is that Suzanne is in their prayers every day, and I don’t think her friends have replied to LS at all.

To me, this says a lot. I interpret it to mean that they have a pretty good idea of what happened to her and know that speaking out won’t help anything, so they’re letting LE do their job.
And maybe LE is hoping their guy will slip up during some random conversation with a family member. If he doesn’t trust them, he’s not about to let anything slip.

So we have a picture. Probably a hotel room, from the looks of it, a doorway connecting two rooms directly. Check out the locks on his right side facing camera. But while you all are looking at his face, I note he is left handed. That fact might come in handy later. And there’s a pile of what? Pillows, blankets to his left, right side of the picture. At first I thought they looked like bags of rice. More hotel stuff.
ETA: Yes, he looks a bit annoyed. Trying to get comfortable in a hotel room and kids or others wanting to come join them when he had other ideas. :mad:
My first take was he is being pranked by Suzanne in some way. Maybe they had planned to be alone and she arranged for a couple strippers with a birthday cake to show up. To me he is real confused on how he should react. Suzanne, not so much.

While we are waiting what other cases are you all following?
Abigail Williams/Liberty German murders
Audrey Moran/Jonathan Reynoso
Plus some long running cases - Colonial Parkway Murders, Heidi Childs/David Metzler murders, Prisma Peralta Reyes, Jodi Husintruit and Jennifer Kesse.
I was following the Isabel Celis case till that one turned all of us upside down. A LOT of us - and I was one of them - who thought the father was guilty looked like fools when it was solved. Even one podcaster, Micheal Whelan of the "Unresolved" podcast did a special podcast where he apologized for his theory blaming the dad. After that I said I would do my upmost to keep an open mind because no matter what the LE and media put out there that indicates a slam dunk it may not be so.

Since Lauren Scharf (Fox21 News) stated on the Profiling Evil video that she was going to be in Salida yesterday, I'm wondering if we aren't going to hear something from this weekend, if not today. (I don't follow her tweets so I don't know if she has already posted something there.) I know she said she was going by BM's place with a list of questions, but I would be very surprised if he agreed to talk to her. I think she knows that, too, so she probably has some back-up plan to see others in the area in addition to LE.

I was following the Isabel Celis case till that one turned all of us upside down. A LOT of us - and I was one of them - who thought the father was guilty looked like fools when it was solved.

Amen to that! Tim Steller of the Arizona Daily Star wrote a column about this, noting that "[W]e owe the parents of Isabel Celis an apology."

Since Lauren Scharf (Fox21 News) stated on the Profiling Evil video that she was going to be in Salida yesterday, I'm wondering if we aren't going to hear something from this weekend, if not today. (I don't follow her tweets so I don't know if she has already posted something there.) I know she said she was going by BM's place with a list of questions, but I would be very surprised if he agreed to talk to her. I think she knows that, too, so she probably has some back-up plan to see others in the area in addition to LE.

I doubt that Barry Morphew will talk to Lauren. Major kudos to Lauren, though, if she can actually get Morphew friends or acquaintances in Salida to say something. The wall of silence has been unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm