Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Sunday? The 10th? Every media article I read states that LE did their search starting 24 May and turned the house back over to the family on 26 May. Where is it said LE took control of the house on 10 May?
Police and FBI wrap up search at property where missing mom Suzanne Morphew's husband worked | Daily Mail Online

In this article allowed per TOS rules: BM had not entered his home since arriving back from Denver
Correction: The 24-26 dates were actually a different residence. The Morphew home was not actually cordoned off till 19 May, but LE would not acknowledge any search till 20 May. Or at least that is the earliest I can find in the Media and Timeline thread. One of the articles I found there.
Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman | FOX31 Denver

If BM called 911 from Denver or the Denver suburbs he would not have reached Chaffee County 911, he would have reached 911 in the area where he was.

That is probably why the neighbor made the call.

Sorry this point has been discussed ad nauseum, and is getting old, very old. The 911 procedure changed in 2014 as posted by Seattle 1 CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

"And if you're unaware, it was August 13, 2014 that the FCC began implementing the "Text-to-911 " service and established an initial deadline of December 31, 2014 for all covered text providers to be capable of supporting text-to-911 service.

This means there's actually a digital code for every Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP call center) (including Salida, Co), where emergency calls (like police, fire brigade, ambulance) initiated by any mobile or landline subscriber are terminated.

PSAP coding enables you to dial 911 from anywhere and give the dispatcher the code for the emergency locale you want to reach or they can look it up and connect you. It's that simple. Of course, you can still call the non-emergency number for Salida from anywhere for the same result."

Seriously, I can't imagine a volunteer firefighter would not at least know how to google the non-emergency number for Salida. And
seriously???

Add to that it's your loved one? I see No, Nada, Zero excuses for foisting that call on someone else to make. . and then wouldn't you be wondering if they made it? And anxiously waiting to hear what was said ?

Last edited:
Correction: The 24-26 dates were actually a different residence. The Morphew home was not actually cordoned off till 19 May, but LE would not acknowledge any search till 20 May. Or at least that is the earliest I can find in the Media and Timeline thread. One of the articles I found there.

I read the article: & for life of me don't see any dates about the family entering or exiting their home....

Please bold what you mean about a 'different residence'....

Again: the DailyMail stated BM has not been allowed to enter since returning from Denver...

Thanks for that link...

I
If your friends are LE, then yes.

Was it really a 911 situation at that point? I just rewatched the TD video, and BM says that the neighbor was a “little worried” and BM said “I am, too. Why don’t we call the police to be safe.”

Yes, I think at that point, with that level of worry, it would be completely appropriate for him to call a friend in LE to go by the house and check on Suzanne.

MOO
IMO, he respected his neighbor’s instincts, didn’t need to call in a favor, this was an appropriate response. He knew that LE would handle it, and why waste the extra time having LE friend check it out, and then call in additional officers, time was critical.

A 3 day search while saying the homeowner doesn't appear to be involved? That is a lot of time to waste digging around for curiosity

I read the article: & for life of me don't see any dates about the family entering or exiting their home....

Please bold what you mean about a 'different residence'....

Again: the DailyMail stated BM has not been allowed to enter since returning from Denver...

Thanks for that link...
I had the 24-26 search dates of a different nearby residence confused with the Morphew residence - my mistake. As for when the house was cordoned off, 10 May or 19 May, I'm going to chalk up as conflicting media stories. Not unusual here. For example, we have Crime Online stating on 20 May that no one saw Suzanne on her bike that day.
‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance
On 10 July, the Colorado Springs Gazette reports that she was last seen on her bike.
4 things to know about the Suzanne Morphew case in Colorado

I don’t think it’s the absence of evidence of an animal attack that is causing law enforcement to focus on BM, rather, I think there is specific evidence that he did something to her.

I just want to know what was found in the house during those two searches.
bbm
I'm especially interested in the second search.
What brought LE back to the house ?
Everything keeps coming back to something occurring within the house. IMO.

A 3 day search while saying the homeowner doesn't appear to be involved? That is a lot of time to waste digging around for curiosity
Yes, although reading the press release, the implication appears to be the property owner is not involved. That doesn't rule out BM, though, if he did work on the property while owner was at work. Would LE said AND what LE did not say. And, yes, 3 days is rather lengthy unless LE had good reason to believe it needed to be checked.
May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

The couple who purchased the house had been living in it for at least a year. So, it seems like to me, there was no pressing need or hurry to close this deal. I’m not disagreeing with your information ... I’m just doubting any earnest money was on the line ...
Personally, I think Barry is first and foremost an ambitious businessman who does not allow anything to get in the way of his business deals. I think buying the “other” property in Colorado shows this...
I haven’t been keeping up lately, so maybe I missed some new information? I’m not a professional - I’m just responding based on my research, which could be sorely lacking.

Well, recall that Barry Morphew (& his attorney) stated under penalty of perjury in the guardianship petition that the "real estate is sold on land contract with a closing date of June 6, 2020." If Judge Casati had denied the petition, a breach of contract would have been inevitable. Absent proof* of some attempt on Barry's part to frustrate justice somehow, a court is not going to upset the settled expectations of the buyers & sellers.

*Interesting sidebar: IF Suzanne's family members somehow believed that Barry was responsible -- and that Colorado investigators actually had evidence thereof -- they could have sought to intervene in the guardianship if they learned of the petition's existence. No such intervention has been sought as of today, though the hearing on the petition is schedule for Sept-1.

So are you saying instead of asking the neighbor that he was already talking with to make the call, he should have hung up with her and started calling friends, hoping one of them would pick up the phone and make the call? At a time when every second counts?

I can imagine the reaction to those interviews-

Neighbor: I offered to call 911 but BM said no. He would call a friend.

Good grief.
ITA
In emergencies, you streamline, the less calls the less time. Generally the person closest to the emergency needs to take charge, the neighbor needed to be the one who called. There’s always going to be a question only the person present at the scene can answer. There will always be someone manning the 911 line.

bbm
BBM:

The second search is intriguing.

LE turned the house back over to "the family," i.e., to BM, on Tuesday, May 26th.
Source: Home of missing Chaffee County woman released back to family

It very well could be that analysis of some type of evidence gathered during the first search led LE back to the house/property.

Alternatively, LE may have received a specific tip that took them back to the property.

There's another possibility, too:

LE has more than likely had electronic and/or physical surveillance on BM for weeks, if not months.

I'm wondering if LE's surveillance gave them reason to believe that evidence was brought back onto the property after the home was released back to "the family."

JMO.

Last edited:
bbm
It’s does. We saw this in the Letecia Stauch and Kelsey Berreth cases.

In both, there were multiple searches of the respective residences, and in both, law enforcement found a plethora of physical evidence.

In the latter, an arrest occurred within hours. Like the Stauch case here though, there was no body to be found at the time.

But I do think they are getting close, body or otherwise.

If he was in Denver he could not call 911 and talk to the 911 for his home. He would have gotten Denver's 911 center.

I agree with you. Even if there is a new work-around, I wouldn’t think of that in the moment. Not would I waste time googling it.

But I’d call my personal LE contacts to go check on my wife. I would do that.

MOO

bbm
That second search really stands out and LE did it much faster the 2nd time around. The timing leads me to believe some testing came back from the first search. For example, if luminol tests indicated something and when the item was brought to the lab the tests were not conclusive maybe LE goes back to the same area to look for more evidence to take back.

I agree with you. Even if there is a new work-around, I wouldn’t think of that in the moment. Not would I waste time googling it.

But I’d call my personal LE contacts to go check on my wife. I would do that.

MOO
My apologies, not personal to you but then he (Barry) shouldn't be a first responder IMO. I don't need expensive and "supposedly" HIGHLY TRAINED first responders ignoring or not bothering to learn technology that will save my life...when a life is on the line, seconds count. A 7 year old "work around" isn't new.

Last edited:
That second search really stands out and LE did it much faster the 2nd time around. The timing leads me to believe some testing came back from the first search. For example, if luminol tests indicated something and when the item was brought to the lab the tests were not conclusive maybe LE goes back to the same area to look for more evidence to take back.
Another possibility is that someone is cooperating. It would take time to build a case against any accomplices, and encourage them to turn state’s evidence.

That’s more my hope than anything, as I think it’s unlikely.

It seems like a sneaky work around whether it's legal or not. I hope that he's not given guardianship permanently. It's kind of an insult to the concept of a will if she is deceased. If she's not, well maybe she's okay with this, but maybe not all other decisions he can make. It seems too easy to get authorization to act on someone's behalf without declaring one way or the other what happened to the legal adult who should be making those questions. And he could be getting clearance while not being declared a POI, but by October he is and then what? It seems to erase the checks and balances of dead/alive or incompetent/competent

Well, if Suzanne had been determined to be deceased, then the property would've passed to Barry 100% outside of any will anyway. Recall that the Petition indicated that Suzanne is a "joint owner" of the property, not a "tenant in common." These are legal terms.

A "joint tenancy" is one where the other owners have right of survivorship. For example, if a husband & wife own property as joint owners and the husband dies, then the husband's ownership "share" passes to the wife by operation of law. Indeed, even if his will states that his "share" of the property should go to another person, that will provision will fail because the law views his "share" as having been extinguished at his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991