Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I beg to differ. Chemo almost always occurs during daylight hours on weekdays and cancer treatment can be quite expensive. If there is only one earner in the family, the burden is on that person to keep a roof over their heads, food on the table, lights on, health insurance active and copays and deductibles paid.

People in healthy, mature relationships understand that the end often justified the means.

Being the sole earner in a family does have challenges, I’m well aware. But if one can afford a $1.5 million home bc of their successful business, sounds like he managed pretty well in that role. As well as can offer $100k as reward “no questions asked.”

OTOH, a huge perk of being a self-employed business owner such as BM, is the option and luxury of taking time to be there for family when emergencies arise bc you’re not punching a clock under a demanding boss! A spouse would find a way in a “healthy mature relationship”. MOO IMO

BM gets no pass from me! PERIOD!
Edited for clarity.

IMO the spouse of the missing person will not be charged with anything related to the disappearance or murder of the missing person unless the DA is confident they have enough evidence to convict.

This is what occurred in the Jason Young case, though his wife was not missing, she was brutally murdered at home, in bed. The DA at the time was known to be *very* cautious, and he would not allow the case to go to the grand jury for review until he was convinced there was enough to prove the charges to a jury. It took 3 years and 1 month from the time of the murder for JY to be arrested. Some thought it would never happen; I remember that day so well. Elation.

IMO the spouse of the missing person will not be charged with anything related to the disappearance or murder of the missing person unless the DA is confident they have enough evidence to convict. The potential defendant in that scenario has resources to fight.

If a suspect does not have resources to fight LE might be a little looser in the amount of evidence needed to make an arrest and charge, but probably not in a high profile murder case. They would still likely wait to move only when they had enough oranges to get a full glass of juice.
Of course, but this appears to be the type of case that lends itself to meeting that evidentiary burden.

We saw Dan May’s office pull the trigger very quickly in the Berreth and Stauch cases, but that’s because they had a material witness and a defendant who was an evidence factory, respectively.

We have a different DA here, and very different circumstances. That being said, it’s hard to keep a dead person alive in the digital age, especially when it comes to cellular communications (Just ask Patrick Frazee).

If she was murdered earlier than Mother’s Day, that complicates things further for her killer.

I think technology like that is going to play a major role here.

Whatever guided the hand of law enforcement early on, appears to be strong. I don’t think the DA will make a determination based on the resources of the defendant, but on a particular evidentiary threshold.

It’s just a matter of when that’s met. I think they’re well on their way.

We’ll see.

I don’t care at all that BM was not at Suzanne’s chemo appointments in Colorado. The girls may have wanted to help Suzanne. Honestly, if I had to pick between my spouse and my girls, it would be my girls every time. Maybe Barry was the guy who picked up dinner on those days, or maybe he was so uncomfortable there that it made Suzanne uncomfortable. Once again, it doesn’t make him a murderer or even a bad person. It’s the other stuff that I question-why is no one speaking on Suzanne’s behalf, when did she go missing, where was Barry, why was it the neighbor who called, why did the family spokesperson fall silent, what’s with the bike.

I beg to differ. Chemo almost always occurs during daylight hours on weekdays and cancer treatment can be quite expensive. If there is only one earner in the family, the burden is on that person to keep a roof over their heads, food on the table, lights on, health insurance active and copays and deductibles paid.

People in healthy, mature relationships understand that the end often justified the means.
I recently lost my 2 brothers (38 & 42) and my Dad to cancer. I was at Memorial Sloan Kettering for every treatment. The majority of patients had someone with them, for support, for comfort, and because they felt so awful traveling afterwards. I don't know so much about mature healthy relationships..but I do know about empathy and love.

Women statistically get dumped by husbands at a much higher rate than vice versa with a serious diagnosis. It probably mostly has to do with women being raised as the "caregiver" and when that role is reversed, men don't take it well or as well as women. Probably partly because they already had the role and also because women are raised to give till it hurts to their spouse and kids. When they can't the husband feels neglected or put out by not having his meals cooked or whatever the dynamic change is and it's a recipe for divorce. Leaving an abusive relationship or just having an abuser feel that the victim is getting wise to the tactics, getting "lippy", whatever can make them feel like they are very quickly losing control. I think a lot of people who go through cancer and make it out the other side can also have crisis of faith in their marriage even if they don't get divorced. Maybe they realize that "hey I deserved a bit more empathy here" or "screw that I didn't get better to be a maid and sex doll". I can see that having a turning point in a lopsided power dynamic and people who feel especially entitled to certain things aren't going to take it well. Even without divorce filings abusive people can sense the withdrawal. I suspect and speculate that this is the sort of dynamic that may have been in play here.

Abusive relationships are most dangerous at the very end when the victim is reevaluating and considering those redirects. I don't think it necessarily has to be already filing divorce, but even just questioning status quo can be dangerous.

Great post!

Friends Say Missing Colo. Mom Suzanne Morphew and Husband Barry Seemed Like ‘Good, Model Family’

July 23, 2020 11:00 AM

Before Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew disappeared during a bike ride on Mother's Day, everything in her life seemed to be going well.

"That [family structure] where the husband loves being the provider and the wife loves being the homemaker— they fit that to a T," longtime friend Jeff Isles tells PEOPLE in this week's issue.

But now Morphew, a mom-of-two, is missing, having vanished on a bike ride on May 10. While her bike and a "personal item" were recovered during a search of an area near her Maysville home, little else is known about Morphew's disappearance.

"They're close— a good model family," Isles says of Morphew and her husband and their two daughters, Mallory and Macy.
Is Jeff BM’s grade school friend? The one who stayed behind from hunting and listened to SM tell him all about her bike rides?

I recently lost my 2 brothers (38 & 42) and my Dad to cancer. I was at Memorial Sloan Kettering for every treatment. The majority of patients had someone with them, for support, for comfort, and because they felt so awful traveling afterwards. I don't know so much about mature healthy relationships..but I do know about empathy and love.
So sorry for your loss, that’s so much to grapple with. Thanks for your empathy and compassion.

Yes. In the cases I listed there was no evidence of any of that.

One of my points, though, is that we may not know. There are so many people out there who do not ever call law enforcement or hire a lawyer. Their situations are not known. There are so many women who hide abuse, sometimes lifelong. They have friends, the friends try to help - but keep silent, because the situation is almost always "in repair" and the abuser is almost always "not going to do it again." The abuser is often successful for a year or even two.

But with many abusers, there are major relapses and the stunned and newly trusting partner has little to fall back on. It's the long haul that's so hard, IOW.

I bet if we knew the truth about Scott Peterson's relationship to his wife, there'd be a couple of notebooks worth of emotionally difficult details. Many women do hide it so well.

Most evidence of abuse (and a lot of evidence of rape) never becomes evidence, in the sense that no one shows up in court or the charges are negotiated downward. But we do have diaries, journals, SM, academic studies that show women are in fact abused while still acting as if everything is fine. Perhaps Coles and Coles "Women of Crisis" books were the first to show this, but there are certainly many works - often autobiographical or thinly disguised autobiographical fiction that show us all how hard it is to know, from the outside, who is abused. I no longer make assumptions. I will say that my current friends and family try to be frank and open with one another, but still - surprising things can happen.

You know I haven’t seen any hate that I can recall. I think in general, people have suspicions as to what happened or are fairly convinced based on stats and LE’s behavior.

But I don’t think one person here could vote guilty if they were on a jury with just what we know.

I sure couldn’t. I have my suspicions. It’s seems like it’s clear LE believe husband is involved. But not enough for me to make a specific determination.

Nice to hear, refreshing, <modsnip>

I have the same confidence in this group of participants and how they would vote on a jury, regardless of their leanings, based on discussion/speculation in this forum. Discussion/speculation, the point of the page, which apparently can't be elaborated on enough.

When push came to shove they would judge on verifiable evidence 100% and it better be enough evidence...not feelings .

Last edited by a moderator:
They were blessed to have your support, and I'm very sorry for your loss.

Just because it’s shiny, doesn’t mean it’s gold.
LOL okay
Being the sole earner in a family does have challenges, I’m well aware. But if one can afford a $1.5 million home bc of their successful business, sounds like he managed pretty well in that role. As well as can offer $100k as reward “no questions asked.”

OTOH, a huge perk of being a self-employed business owner such as BM, is the option and luxury of taking time to be there for family when emergencies arise bc you’re not punching a clock under a demanding boss! A spouse would find a way in a “healthy mature relationship”. MOO IMO

BM gets no pass from me! PERIOD!
Edited for clarity.
Boy, You're hubby better listen to You! Yikes!

True. But speaking from experience with my own family, I have rarely seen anyone stay with people in the chemo sessions. I went to a few to drop my dad off. He never wanted me to stay.

Sessions can last hours. Usually the people I saw getting chemo were watching tv, reading, on their phones or sleeping.

I had no idea someone could die during chemo due to the process.
That's been my experience as well. My mother wanted me to be there the first time she had chemo but she made me hide the paperwork describing all the side effects from my father. It is actually pretty scary to read them, because it does say there is a rare possibility of death. But it would only happen within the first twenty minutes or so and that's why they moniter you closely the first time.

After that she actually preferred going alone because she got to know other patients and developed friendships with them. I did go with her a few times but I was the only non patient there.

So I guess everyone has a different view but I wouldn't say the fact that BM didn't go with her meant he didn't care about her. She probably looked forward to the quality time with her daughter.

I’ve only read the written transcript on Fox21 so far and a few more things to add that were not already mentioned:

Suzanne’s cousin said she was a wonderful mother and was not sure she could have children but Jesus made a way for that miracle twice (paraphrasing). With her reported missing on Mother’s Day that is especially gut wrenching. She said Suzanne had been spending a lot of time with her girls and they had been cooking meals together and enjoying the extra time they got to spend together during the quarantine.

A fellow cancer survivor said Suzanne’s daughters (one or both) were always with her during her chemotherapy. She said she saw Barry at chemo with Suzanne only once and he was not very friendly and he seemed uncomfortable. But she added a lot of loved ones can be uncomfortable in that situation.

Lauren was right...learned a lot more about Suzanne and what kind of person and mother she is. It made me very sad.

That fact alone doesn't bother me. I would not want my SO or our kids to hang out with me during my infusions (lupus), and during a flareup or hospitalizations I feel that desire to be on my own even more strongly. It's boring, can be messy, I'm exhausted, in some or a lot of discomfort, with a foggy brain and possible multitude of other symptoms ranging from moderate to severe, and fellow patients are in the very same boat. No one much wants to chit-chat, and it's a generally disconcerting environment, with not a lot of upside or the potential for GudTimes. And I know from several of my "infusion buddies" that this private time where your illness is not on display or a problem for others is very precious -- both my parents, both with cancer, have felt similarly. People vary widely in their thresholds for illness and/or pain in those they love. I would never hold a friend or family member's bedside presence or manner against them -- and when my father was passing, I found it incredibly hard, despite years of experience on the other side of the curtain, as it were. So it goes.

I'm not surprised to hear that BM wasn't a mainstay of SM's treatments, though I expect she would have been were their positions reversed, but I'm more concerned about other elements of this case. IMO.

Now a ride there and back and a bit of TLC after -- that's where a lovin' family comes in, IME.

This answer to #528 which i will repost: Would L.E. be obligated or required by law to share factual damaging evidence with the minor or adult children of a suspect while still putting together a case in order to "protect " the safety of the children who are/were living with suspect parent and may not "know"?

Would child protective services be required to disclose any report from L.E. maybe under a freedom of information request from we the taxpayers public? Taking a shot here-even if somebody (reporter) asked them ( child protective services) was there a report -? If so we would know for sure the bad guy? Somebody in city hall overseeing child protective services surly could find out if a "report" has been submitted not the actual wording but just a report for the good or safety of family /friends no? Maybe a start to this would be asking our Gal Lauren to ask the sheriff if he would be required to contact child protective services - he may answer or he may not know- we didn't until this was asked and answered .

Probably not. Colo. Rev. Stat. § 19-1-307 specifically states that "reports of child abuse or neglect and the name and address of any child, family, or informant or any other identifying information contained in such reports shall be confidential and shall not be public information."

This isn't unique to Colorado, by the way. States often keep proceedings, reports, & actions involving children confidential. For example, here in Indiana, even attorneys must leave the courtroom when an adoption-related hearing occurs, unless they represent one of the involved parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow