Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, most major police departments, (and some smaller ones), state and federal agencies all have officers or agents who are computer experts.
You asked how LE knows what they are searching for. This is where probable cause comes into play. If John Doe was shot with a 38 caliber handgun and you have evidence that your POI has that kind of gun, you obtain a search warrant to look in your POI’s home, vehicle, storage shed etc. you base your affidavit on the sales receipt for the gun, an eyewitness he showed it to, gun casing found where he was target shooting. The thing is, you have to know what you are looking for. As I stated above, it can’t be a fishing expedition.
The same goes for paperwork. Why would you need it? Do you have evidence that there was an insurance scam involved or financial difficulties? If you believe that might be the motive, you have to be able to show why these papers are vital to the case, why they should be seized.
Thank you so much. That’s so interesting to me.

I’m not completely sold on the the construction sounds late at night. Yes, the neighbor heard something. Did she see a construction vehicle working when she heard the sound? Nope? Did she go out to check? Yes, but when she opened her door to see, there was no noise. I’m not sure that her call would be enough to get a SW, even with BM working on that site. I’m just picturing an attorney tearing this apart in court. There has to be a lot more, right?

I’m not completely sold on the the construction sounds late at night. Yes, the neighbor heard something. Did she see a construction vehicle working when she heard the sound? Nope? Did she go out to check? Yes, but when she opened her door to see, there was no noise. I’m not sure that her call would be enough to get a SW, even with BM working on that site. I’m just picturing an attorney tearing this apart in court. There has to be a lot more, right?
I think there’s likely another witness to the same event. There’s nothing to tear apart in court if they didn’t find anything anyways, which seems to be the case.

Even if there isn’t another witness, the results of the ground penetrating radar may have been the lynchpin.

A judge approved this after all, so I don’t see an issue regardless.

I don't understand. Why would you expect warrants unsealed during an ongoing investigation? In the new age, anything digital (phone, video, gps, etc) will be sealed too. Colorado won't even tell you how many warrants have been issued!

Sealed search warrants on the rise; prosecutor says it's nature of today's digital investigations

This is scary too. Does anyone know if there an appropriate forum on WS to discuss topics like this (the increased use of sealed SWs)?

Is this the construction site where a man and woman was heard? Who heard them - is it the same person that heard the machinery or someone else? And also who was the woman if not SM, whoever she is (if not SM) - she has some strength of something or other by keeping silent, and what would keep her silent - fear? love?

some more random thoughts/questions that are bugging me a little :)

There is a huge culture of people of all walks of life who are currently chasing the dream of side/full time hustle of internet income- YouTube Channels, Instagram, Blogs, Podcasts etc- all these variables have the ability to generate very good income to the owner- in this instance, Tyson Draper- this is quite possibly his current source of income. These channels and such are today’s virtual entrepreneurs- research it, there is big money possible if you gain followers, subscribers, advertisers, sponsors- sure beats the 9-5 and a boss!

Find your interest/passion and simply make a go at it on the internet, all the kids are doing it! And some not kids! The guys at PE are doing the same thing. Many people are looking to turn their internet shows, clips and videos into a source of income...why not. It’s just a new way to work for yourself .

Please remember, in this case, there is income involved, his involvement is not charity or volunteerism. His thank you’s to others generating more clicks/hits. He needs to keep his name out there as much as anything- he’s promoting his brand-

MOO...

He’s still keeping the case and SM’s name out there more than anyone. For that I’m grateful. He’s also working with a highly respected reporter LS. IMO she wouldn’t spend time or place much credence in a YT hack; her reputation is on the line as well.

JMO

I’m not sure that major breakthrough had to happen in order for a second warrant. Her home was likely the last building she was in. It only makes sense to search her house thoroughly and then search it again. After all, it was, and is her home.
IMO

LE needed probable cause to search the house. Probable cause presented to a judge. Even if it was the last building she was in, and we don't have proof that it was, LE would need probable cause. And they did.

I was thinking the arrest warrant on Leticia Stauch was released the day after her arrest.
Am I dreaming?
Maybe it was the search warrant of their home?
These cases are running together for me.

The murder of Gannon was the most horrific I have read about in a long time.
Sorry. My brain is only thinking search warrants because that's all we have for SM as there have been no arrests. The search warrants for SM's case have also been sealed by the court and I don't expect them unsealed during the ongoing investigation.

As for GS case, there have been both search warrants and an arrest warrant.
LS arrest warrant had some bumps because she had to be extradited to Colorado. I recall when her affidavit for probable cause for arrest was filed end of February and the court sealed it the same day. LS was extradited, made her first appearance around mid-March, and her AW/affidavit was still under seal. I'd have to look it up but I don't think the motion to unseal the AW/affidavit was filed until April 3 or 4th so that took from Feb 28 to April 3 before we saw LS's AW/Affidavit.

Personally, I use the preliminary hearing as my benchmark. I don't get antsy about seeing the documents until the preliminary hearing date but that's just me. MOO

Last edited:
Sorry. My brain is only thinking search warrants because that's all we have for SM as there have been no arrests. The search warrants for SM's case have also been sealed by the court and I don't expect them unsealed during the ongoing investigation.

As for GS case, there have been both search warrants and an arrest warrant.
LS arrest warrant had some bumps because she had to be extradited to Colorado. I recall when her affidavit for probable cause for arrest was filed end of February and the court sealed it the same day. LS was extradited, made her first appearance around mid-March, and her AW/affidavit was still under seal. I'd have to look it up but I don't think the motion to unseal the AW/affidavit was filed until was until April 3 or 4th so that took from Feb 28 to April 3 before we saw LS's AW/Affidavit.

Personally, I use the preliminary hearing as my benchmark. I don't get antsy about seeing the documents until the preliminary hearing date but that's just me. MOO
Thank you.:)

This is scary too. Does anyone know if there an appropriate forum on WS to discuss topics like this (the increased use of sealed SWs)?
We should probably group the digital age issues and start a thread. We had the Supreme Court ruling from 2018 that changed the way LE must obtain phone data and search warrant is needed to track cell phones. I'll make a mental note to myself and tag you when I start the thread. Thanks for a great idea. :)

Supreme Court says police can't use your cellphone to track you without a court order

RBBM
And BM appears just that arrogant to do whatever HE pleases without any regard to the comfort and well being of the neighbours. When this case breaks, the flood gates of who BM truly is will open and we’ll get a good look at what BM REALLY is. I suspect an all out narcissist. JMHO

I suspect, he has many inner weaknesses and the persona he presents to the world is not who he is at all. I think he is angry because he had to pretend, in many ways, for so many years. I also think that his inner core is so much at variance with the expectations of what a "good family man and a good Christian is", be it Indiana or Salida, that he is scared of anyone seeing it. I think the ultimate reason for the murder, if he indeed is the murderer (so far, formally, the chance is still 53%), is the need to protect himself from being seen by the world without the mask.

We have many cases coming from Colorado. The reasons are different. CW killed for a new love and the perceived prospect of having a new family and new children with her; PF, for the whim of (his own, or someone else's) of raising the child on his own (mixed with heavy paranoia). Both guys behaved like guys, one treated family like old shoes he threw out, the other one, killed and called a woman to clean the mess.

Whoever killed SM (and I believe she is dead) is very different in his thinking. This is why she can not be found - yet. I hope she will be. And I don't think it was just a crime of passion; or if it was, the passion had been condensing for years, and it was not only against her. It was against the world she, in his view, represented.

The search warrant presented to the owner of the property being searched will state exactly what investigators are allowed to search for. It will not include the affidavit for the search warrant which outlines to the court why they think a particular piece of evidence will be found in a particular place.
Affidavits and search warrants are very specific. If you are looking for something big like a long gun, you couldn’t look in a small drawer. However, if you were looking for a bullet, you could look in the small drawer.
If you were looking for something big and found some other evidence in a small place, that evidence wouldn’t be admissible because you shouldn’t have been looking there.
If you get a warrant for a home, you can not search a vehicle or a shed you found on the property.
Law enforcement likes to be as broad as possible when applying for the warrant, but they have to show probable cause. These are not fishing expeditions.
Interesting :cool: So, in your experience, what could have given LE probable cause for the first SW for the house?

I suspect, he has many inner weaknesses and the persona he presents to the world is not who he is at all. I think he is angry because he had to pretend, in many ways, for so many years. I also think that his inner core is so much at variance with the expectations of what a "good family man and a good Christian is", be it Indiana or Salida, that he is scared of anyone seeing it. I think the ultimate reason for the murder, if he indeed is the murderer (so far, formally, the chance is still 53%), is the need to protect himself from being seen by the world without the mask.

We have many cases coming from Colorado. The reasons are different. CW killed for a new love and the perceived prospect of having a new family and new children with her; PF, for the whim of (his own, or someone else's) of raising the child on his own (mixed with heavy paranoia). Both guys behaved like guys, one treated family like old shoes he threw out, the other one, killed and called a woman to clean the mess.

Whoever killed SM (and I believe she is dead) is very different in his thinking. This is why she can not be found - yet. I hope she will be. And I don't think it was just a crime of passion; or if it was, the passion had been condensing for years, and it was not only against her. It was against the world she, in his view, represented.

Very intuitive post . I like it very much. Thx moo

I wonder if knowing that a place was going to become inaccessible in the near term added any weight to getting the SW. If it were my property, I would want that tip thoroughly investigated *before* my house was built! If it hadn't been checked out, there would have been Hoffa-like rumors surrounding this story forever in the town of Salida.

I don't have an opinion one way or another as to whether BM was responsible for Suzanne's disappearance - and her likely death. But if he is responsible, I believe it will be a no body case. Between the vast areas of forests and his knowledge of hunting and the forests I don't believe she will be found.

Which brings me to another point. If LE strongly believes BM did it, we haven't heard if LE has checked the areas he frequented in the hunting season. They might have, but if it is private property such as a hunting club I believe we would have heard by now.

The Deafening Silence!!

The silence tells me they know she is dead.
And for them to know she is dead, the LE would have to have told them, she is dead.

I believe they found Suzanne’s DNA at the dig site. If you remember, there was talk soon after they finished up about LE requesting DNA from Suzanne’s daughter.
Around that time the family locked down and became silent.

<modsnip: TD's wife is not a source in this discussion>

Another reason I feel they know she is dead, LE has put out exactly ZERO BOLS (Be on the look out) for any type of vehicle or person.
Certainly, if LE thought Suzanne was “abducted” and with all the cameras in the world now, they would have released SOMETHING in the past 2+ months.

Which leads me to the fact they never even released a physical description of Suzanne. Again, leading me to believe LE has way more information and a prime suspect very early on in this case.
Now LE is building their air tight case in which to arrest the responsible party & go to trial.

Jmo

Yes. It didn’t escape my notice that her friend who talked about her to Lauren Scharf, referred to her solidly in the past tense.

I think people close to her mostly know she’s gone.

Yes. It didn’t escape my notice that her friend who talked about her to Lauren Schaefer, referred to her solidly in the past tense.

I think people close to her mostly know she’s gone.

BM's Uncle also used past tense when describing her as 'one of those people who everyone loved' (I cant remember exact phrase, so apologies) - was wondering also, when did BM's uncle have an interview - was it early on in the investigation?

Did not realize that there was another dirt dig up area at the site. Interesting.
After all.this, if BM involved MOO would say SMs body is somewhere between Puma Path and the Denver meeting place with work crew.

MOO

No, it is somewhere where no one thinks to look. The way between Puma Path and Denver is logical and this is exactly where everyone would think to look.

I think if there was a night when his car per GPS tracking was at home, and some other car moved from the direction close to SM's house, the route that car took would be interesting.

Another possibility: SM was killed on Mother's day weekend and whoever did it took her bike to get rid of the remnants. I assume a bike can handle a bigger person, even a man. They are sturdy. In this case she, indeed, is somewhere on the loop that the bike would have traveled. But not where it was found.

Strictly MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member