Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
new lauren scharf interview with profiling evil:

*suzanne and barry's anniversary is august 5th.

*neighbor who heard late-night noise didn't go to LE, LE was asking around and came to her. she knew property was a work-in-progress, so she recognized the same noises.

*there were no obvious signs of disturbance off the road if she had an accident.

*scott, the bike guy, saw suzanne and worked on her bike thurs, may 7.

*rental properties close to the morphew's: bc of covid, there was nobody staying at any of the properties at the time of her disappearance, and the morphews' stayed in one of these rentals when their home was under investigation.

*a woman was putting up a ribbon along the road to the morphew property, and a man walked up behind her and said, "oh wow, beautiful" and she was super freaked out and left. (this woman saw suzanne riding her bike in the past, and says she wears earbuds).

*it's remote and the river is really loud. you cannot hear cars going by if you are near the river.

*if she had been on a bike ride, she most likely would have been picked up by one of the security cams TD showed us in his last video, so it appears to be unlikely that she went on a bike ride that day. however, LE has not confirmed that, but they have definitely searched the footage.

*no evidence that suzanne's disappearance left that street.

*they had to have something "powerful" to get a second search warrant. (per mike king). it's not easy to get a FIRST search warrant, much less a second. they had something big and probable cause. the judge has to agree with investigators to sign off, and the fact that it was sealed, they do not want any info released.

*trees are super close together, and the cliff where the bike "fell" (next to a tree up against a hill) was impossible to see from the morphew home. you cannot see neighbors homes from the morphew home.

*it's probably very stressful on the kids bc of the anniversary coming up. it is now likely to be a high-pressure, high-emotion situation.

*food orders: cambodian restaurant, a different suzanne picked up food, not suzanne morphew. lauren is still trying to confirm if SM picked up food. she's not disclosing the restaurant right now.

*lauren: is a high reward helpful in these types of missing persons cases?

chris: he's never worked a case with that high a reward, it should motivate people, but unfortunately you get many incredible tips bc of such a high reward.

*most critical evidence we have right now is with BM's plea: he speaks with plurals (we, us, them). so before you can leave the house, you have to eliminate the house.

*BM, you are welcome to the show to discuss! :)
Thanks for putting this up swedeheart, a lot of interesting tidbits there. About the second search at the house, would it be possible for them to check all the internet Google searches and phone data/texts that have occurred since their last search of the property? And perhaps see if the surveillance cameras were miraculously working again .... that's if they weren't previously. End of spontaneous thought.

That would be major indeed. I still wonder if the wheel lock was necessary to detectives to look in a particular direction. Lots of stuff does not really add up. Jmo
Yes, or maybe SM went and saw Scott on the Thursday and he said he couldn't fix it till after Mother's Day, was too busy or had to get some parts in ..... so many possibilities. We need to hear from Scott.

Good points, fair enough- Right...so where do you think the other 7-8 SW’s were executed?
Those were searches, and didn’t necessarily involve warrants. The context of that statement appeared to involve ground searches.

Additionally, 10 large-scale searches have been conducted throughout the county.

So that would include the immediate area around the home, and may have included locations developed during the course of the investigation (where BM traveled, GPS data, etc).

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Nearly 2 Dozen Investigators Canvas Chaffee County Community

Those were searches, and didn’t necessarily involve warrants. The context of that statement appeared to involve ground searches.

Additionally, 10 large-scale searches have been conducted throughout the county.

So that would include the immediate area around the home, and may have included locations developed during the course of the investigation (where BM traveled, GPS data, etc).

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Nearly 2 Dozen Investigators Canvas Chaffee County Community

You are correct- my facts are incorrect- I had it that there were 10 SW’s- ty-

I had read some stuff that was from early May, regarding river rafting in the area. Locals were still permitted to raft (“open to locals only until June 1-give us a call if you want to go”). I imagine that some people who rented before were able to contact owners directly and skirt the rules regarding short term rentals. This could also be contributing to some of the information gathering-although owners may want to assist, they may not want to expose themselves as law breakers. I know LE does not care about prosecuting illegal rentals during a murder investigation, but it does give people pause. Sometimes husbands make up alibis if they happened to be with their mistress when their wife goes missing. LE will check to make sure the mistress confirms where he was-but then one might start considering motive.

Owners or friends/families of owners could have stayed too. Denver was pretty bad for a while so investors might have taken their families out of there.

I have a second home not terribly far from Salida that is rented out during ski season but the rest of the year we let friends and family use when we aren’t there.

Yep......relaxing in San Carlos. That's pretty much what everyone there does, except the employees, of course. IMO
San Carlos Correctional Facility Visiting hours, inmate phones, mail

Since you remember Aurora theater shooter James Holmes was at San Carlos, you surely remember that he was there for evaluation BEFORE he was convicted. AFTER Holmes was certified to be fit to stand trial, and convicted, he was sent to the maximum security prison at Canon City; but after he was assaulted by another prisoner Holmes was transferred to Allenwood Federal Correctional Complex in Pennsylvania.
^^sbbm

Not true at all.

I have NEVER seen a court order requesting an evaluation of an in-custody defendant at San Carlos Correctional Facility located in Pueblo.

I also never said Aurora shooter Holmes received a psychiatric evaluation at San Carlos Prison prior to his conviction because that's nonsense.

By court order, Holmes was sent to the Colorado Mental Health Institute (Pueblo) for mental evaluation because his defense entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

LS has also been sent to the Colorado Mental Health Insitute in Pueblo (CMHIP) by order of the Court because the Court has insufficient information to make a preliminary finding concerning competency or incompetency.

It seems to me that you are not aware of the difference between the Colorado Mental Health Insititute of Pueblo and the San Carlos Prison, which specializes in housing inmates with mental health disorders.

To be clear, I find nothing relaxing, humorous or any justification to be flippant about mental illness or psychiatric evaluations. I doubt it compares to a beach holiday or spa treatment.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/El_Paso/Stauch/Order for Evaluation of In-Custody Defendant Redacted by Records.pdf

Gannon Stauch case: Letecia Stauch to undergo mental competency evaluation

The evaluation will be conducted at the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo. The judge said it would take about 90 days to complete, but Allen acknowledged the timeline could be wrinkled by the COVID-19 pandemic.

James Holmes Arrives At Colorado Mental Health Institute For Psychiatric Evaluations | HuffPost

James Holmes, the 25-year-old Aurora movie theater shooting suspect, arrived at Colorado Mental Health Institute in Pueblo on Monday in order to undergo psychiatric evaluations.

Aurora theater shooter moved to San Carlos Correctional Facility in Pueblo – The Denver Post

A spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Corrections confirmed Monday that James Holmes has been transferred to the San Carlos Correctional Facility in Pueblo. [..] Holmes had previously been housed in a unit at the Colorado State Penitentiary in Cañon City where he had little to no interaction with other inmates. [..] Earlier this year, a jury found Holmes guilty of murdering 12 people and trying to murder 70 others in the attack on the Century Aurora 16 movie theater.

MOO

Last edited:
Most fairly fit men can easily pick up a mountain bike (and many women can too, btw). 25 to 28 lbs is not that big of a deal. It's not like that bike would be carried for more than 100 ft in this situation. I wonder if that bike had a pack on it, a tool bag or any of those things.
I'm 5ft 10 and fit. I could not throw a bike that far. Mainly because it's so awkward and unwieldy. I think it would take the strength of a man to do it. IMO

I'm 5ft 10 and fit. I could not throw a bike that far. Mainly because it's so awkward and unwieldy. I think it would take the strength of a man to do it. IMO
Don't sell yourself short. It's amazing what we're capable of. I'm only 5'5" and pretty damn strong.
I haven't forgotten that the neighbor of the dig site said she saw both a man and a woman.
Eta: also, gravity takes care of most of it.

There is a discrepancy between Lauren's clip and Tyson's video of where the bike was found. In Lauren's clip the ribbon is on the tree to the right and in Tyson's the pink ribbon is on the tree to the left. Lauren mentions the sap running down the tree and in Tyson's clip there is no sap.

On the two different trees being marked with ribbon:
@K9Enzo might want to provide some expertise here, but one idea that pops into my mind is that the first tree TD located was tied with ribbon to mark a central point for a single dog to search in outward radiating switchback paths, trying to pick up any indication of whether SM had separated from the bike near the spot where it lay, and possibly which direction her trail headed. The second tree marked could represent the second search, done almost two months later.
Just a random idea, thrown into the discussion. IMO

I thought it was clarified early on (no idea how to quickly find it) that the ribbon on the tree did NOT mark the tree where the bike was found but instead there were several ribbons marking a boundary of what had been searched. My memory of this kind of thing is iffy -- does anyone else recall this?

Basically that the flagging was not to ID the bike location but for some other purpose. Anyone?

I thought it was clarified early on (no idea how to quickly find it) that the ribbon on the tree did NOT mark the tree where the bike was found but instead there were several ribbons marking a boundary of what had been searched. My memory of this kind of thing is iffy -- does anyone else recall this?

Basically that the flagging was not to ID the bike location but for some other purpose. Anyone?

I do remember that but I can't be of any help.

Also, what exactly do we know about the RV park that is very close to the M home? There absolutely had to be people staying/living there daily, weekly monthly- who knows- those places are well, transient- and that is their intent and purpose.

It’s not like when Covid occurred they could come in and extract people from there- so what about the “residents” and visitors there? Are we aware of any searches that took place there? Canvassing?

Seems like that would have been a ripe place to examine- did I miss this piece? Is it one of the places that was searched in the 10 searches we’ve heard about possibly?

Too.Many.Questions. Hello Answers....????

Edited by me- to remove (my!) inaccurate information that I do not want circulating- o_O
BBM: I'd like to know this too. Was it checked out right away or was the initial focus on Barry only?

I was just going to say how we don't know where 'THE BIKE' was found. We only have BM's word for it to TD, who then relayed that to SM.
I recall TD's travels showed more than a few ribbons/flags/markers along the way.
We don't even know why they were there or if they were related to SM.
I'll add that the bike found leaning against a tree is one damn good trick or just a VERY lucky throw.

"We only have BM's word for it to TD, who then relayed that to SM."

I'm sorry, I meant to say... "who then relayed that to LS". o_O

I do have a condo that we rent about 2 miles from my home. I have offered it to essential personnel for housing needs. Things are still being rented, it’s simply more cumbersome and we have standards to follow. IMO, it’s still possible someone was staying there.
Speaks to your character and kindness. Thank you.

The original place that TD identified did have the same color ribbon as what appeared to be grid markers in the rest of the search. That was one of the reasons that TD's location seemed doubtful.
The situation is that BM showed TD where the bike was found, but said it was on the ground. TD found the spot again for LS, by the tree ribbon, but it does not appear to be the exact same tree. It is, however, the exact same observation location every time. So, the bike was found straight down the sloped from that edge of the roadway of CR 255 where they have all stood.
One note about tossing the bike. Whenever anything is tossed outward over a steeply descending slope, it's forward momentum continues below the imaginary level of the tosser's feet. So, a bike thrown like a discus is going to sail much farther on a slope than it would on level ground. After viewing all of the videos, and the Google Earth data, I believe the bike was tossed from the roadway to where it was found.
It's my opinion right now that we are looking at a place where the bike was disposed of, but not the place where SM disappeared. IMO

FYI, I didn't suggest someone *threw* a bike that far (100ft), only that someone fit could pick up a bike, which would not mean carrying it overhead, but picking the bike up enough that the bike tires cleared the ground. I have a 25lb hybrid style bike and I've picked my bike up and taken it up some stairs, put it on a bike rack. And I'm short and not strong or fit.

If you look at pictures of where SM's bike was allegedly found, marked by a pink ribbon on a tree, if that is where or near where the bike was found, I believe the bike could have been rolled there, carried several feet to that tree, or tossed down there.

IMO

FYI, I didn't suggest someone *threw* a bike that far (100ft), only that someone fit could pick up a bike, which would not mean carrying it overhead, but picking the bike up enough that the bike tires cleared the ground.

If you look at pictures of where SM's bike was allegedly found, marked by a pink ribbon on a tree, the bike could have been rolled there, carried several feet to that tree, or tossed.

IMO
My mistake then. Agree it could be carried down.

BBM: I'd like to know this too. Was it checked out right away or was the initial focus on Barry only?
LE hasn't released any details of any person they've investigated nor details of any specific leads or when they've checked various leads out.

The public knows Barry is being investigated only because there have been sightings of LE vehicles at his house (2x) and they dug up an area at a house he worked at in the day or so around the time of SM's disappearance. And also because there are sealed search warrants specific to BM's home.

The original place that TD identified did have the same color ribbon as what appeared to be grid markers in the rest of the search. That was one of the reasons that TD's location seemed doubtful.
The situation is that BM showed TD where the bike was found, but said it was on the ground. TD found the spot again for LS, by the tree ribbon, but it does not appear to be the exact same tree. It is, however, the exact same observation location every time. So, the bike was found straight down the sloped from that edge of the roadway of CR 255 where they have all stood.
One note about tossing the bike. Whenever anything is tossed outward over a steeply descending slope, it's forward momentum continues below the imaginary level of the tosser's feet. So, a bike thrown like a discus is going to sail much farther on a slope than it would on level ground. After viewing all of the videos, and the Google Earth data, I believe the bike was tossed from the roadway to where it was found.
It's my opinion right now that we are looking at a place where the bike was disposed of, but not the place where SM disappeared. IMO

Very interesting. Not a discus, of course, as the discus mass is 4 lbs, a road bike - 26 lbs, and a mountain bike - 33 mm. I think the heavier the object, the less noticeable the “tossing” aspect is. But with a mountain bike and a strong person, you can notice the difference, I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member