Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please welcome our new verified lawyer lamlawindy.

Lamlawindy is a practicing lawyer in Indiana and can help us understand what is going on as far as Barry and Suzann's connection to the state. Also, lalamwindy used to be a prosecutor and is now a defense attorney so he can answer about 1.2 million questions we will have for him LOL

Please be polite, do not argue with a verified lawyer. You will not win. LOL

Thank you lalamwindy for being a part of Websleuths.

Tricia

LOL! I don't know about the "you will not win" part. WS has some very keen members. Thank you for the kind words! :D

I think the timing of LE's statement is significant. The footage of the "impromptu2 interview by the guy who turned up near the Morphew home and spoke to BM has BM saying that he's been cleared. This was soon afterward followed by statements about BM - again saying that he was in clear. It was suspected that these were being posted by close friends/relatives of BM.
What LE has done in making this public statement is put paid to the rumors that BM has been found innocent and eliminated from LE investigations. Why would he say that when it's clearly not the case?

Another reg flag (just my opinion) is the fact that LE - early in the investigation - responded to a question about whether BM was cooperating with police, with words to the effect that yes, he had been and they hoped he would continue to do so.
That is a qualifying comment. He didn't make an initial statement when asked to and then proceeded to produce a video appeal, filmed by a relative, without the input or advice of LE.

IMO BM murdered SM before Mother's Day and it was probably premeditated. He has tried to control the narrative of the investigation as much as he can and has already been caught out by lying.

I do understand why a lot of people have latched onto the "continue to cooperate" comment. However, if (a) Barry Morphew was my client and (b) I saw that investigators were focusing on my client from the get-go (rightly or wrongly), I would've advised my client to say nothing and not be of any assistance to police.

Maybe I'm missing something, but does the noise ordinance really matter? What matters, to me, is that whatever was turned on was loud, and it was during the night. It woke at least one neighbor up. Running heavy equipment at night is unusual, and potentially significant.

I do understand why a lot of people have latched onto the "continue to cooperate" comment. However, if (a) Barry Morphew was my client and (b) I saw that investigators were focusing on my client from the get-go (rightly or wrongly), I would've advised my client to say nothing and not be of any assistance to police.
Well I would certainly hope you would do those things, after all, that’s what you’re paid to do!
LOL :p
If I’m ever in the need for a defense lawyer, I will be PMing you!​

That's something that gets handwaved away as not a valid reason for someone to stay quiet and not talk to the media, as has happened in this case. It's my understanding that any barred defense attorney in good standing (and even some in not-so-good-standing) would advise their client to stay quiet and instruct them to funnel any requests from police or media through the attorney.

As an attorney once explained to me: "It's not an emotional argument, it's pragmatic, but some people only see through an emotional lens."

Last edited:
Well, Barry Morphew has been criticized for making too few public appearances. However, I'd be willing to bet that had he made "too many"
public appearances, he would be criticized for doing so. He's been taken to task -- both on WS and elsewhere -- for offering a $200,000 reward for Suzanne's safe return, supposedly because the "safe return" requirement is some sort of strategic loophole on Barry's part.

I get it: the guy is unlikable. So what? Until there's actual evidence linking him to Suzanne's disappearance, in my mind he's not guilty of anything except for not living up to our expectations of how a loving husband should behave when his wife disappears.

Maybe real evidence will be produced showing that Barry Morphew is involved. Until then, I'll keep an open mind & listen to alternative theories.

I know that we’ve been warned not to argue with an attorney, however, imo, it appears that something about this case and the sleuthers is really getting under your skin. What do see is our path forward that we don’t see? Who do you think is responsible for this awful situation?

Hmmm. If I was in BM's position-- I did not attend the first presser for my missing wife, and learned the CCSO made the statement they hoped I'd continue to be cooperative in the future, I'd probably sleep on it and realize my need to do what's right to locate my wife and leave my ego under my bed.

Last edited:
Hmmm. If I was in BM's position-- I did not attend the first presser for my missing wife, and learned the CCSO made the statement they hoped I'd continue to be cooperative in the future, I'd probably sleep on it and realize my need to do what's right to locate my wife and leave my ego under my bed. MOO
I just can’t comprehend thinking more about yourself, than your missing wife.

I also cannot put into words how awful I find that to be.

So, I wonder. The next day after the disturbed night's sleep was Mother's Day. WHY are there workers at the building site on Sunday??
The site owner - for whom the property is being built - apparently stated (as reported in newspapers e.g. Daily Mail) that BM had raised working on Sunday as he needed to finish preparatory groundwork prior to concrete foundations being poured on Monday. I interpreted the information to mean that BM was working at the site on Sunday with the owner's consent.

The site owner - for whom the property is being built - apparently stated (as reported in newspapers e.g. Daily Mail) that BM had raised working on Sunday as he needed to finish preparatory groundwork prior to concrete foundations being poured on Monday. I interpreted the information to mean that BM was working at the site on Sunday with the owner's consent.
So, if that’s true, BM worked at the site there, and then drove to Denver for another job?

Basically, he was gone ALL day that Sunday?
Where was SM during all that time, I wonder?

^^bbm
I try my best to help keep up the MEDIA thread for this case and I don't recall any MSM publishing the construction tasks or when they were scheduled, etc.. This is big stuff. Please provide the link so it gets added for all others that missed it. TIA.

IF I was involved in a felony crime (which I certainly don't plan to ever be), I would for sure hire an attorney and take that attorney's advice and I would suggest anyone facing any similar situation should hire a criminal defense attorney if they can financially manage to do so.

It's many thousands of $$$ for their expertise and navigation of a complex legal system, so it would be pointless to hire them, pay all that money, and then ignore the attorney's instructions.

IMO

But the site where the concrete was poured (do we really know exactly when?) is not in Denver. It's near Salida. That's where the search was conducted and the concrete drilled through, not in Denver.

My take on TN imploring the public to ask about the bike is that it all originated from Barry. Essentially, TN was Barry’s spokesperson. Barry thought if the public knew the bike was damaged then it would lend credence to the other scenarios that he had brought forth. Someone hit Suzanne on her bike and then abducted her. SEE the bike is damaged and so this proves it. Suzanne was a victim of a hit and run, SEE the bike is damaged and this proves it. Suzanne had a bike accident that resulted in her becoming disoriented which caused her to get in the water and ultimately disappear; LOOK at the bike damage, this PROVES it!

IMO

IMO the ‘personal item’ found, (not the bike) had to tie the suspect immediately to the scene. Did the suspect drop this item during staging ?
It would be great if OldCop could reads this post and give his informed opinion.
Why did LE stop cooperating with BM the first night? Is this typical?
I would think that LE would be comforting the family and sharing updates?
IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads