Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which elderly neighbor? Do we know the age of the neighbor just outside of Salida, next to the construction site?

The neighbor next to the Morphew house (15-16 miles away) is elderly. Is the other person elderly as well? And does it matter whether the neighbor was elderly?

There have been reports of a GPR machine on site (ground penetrating radar) so no, it wasn't just the neighbor's perceptions, although it sounds like the neighbor is the one who called in the tip. The owner of the property then consented to the dig.

GPR was used, IMO, to persuade the judge about the search warrant, along with the neighbor hearing construction sounds at an unusual time.
Here’s the interview with MB, the neighbor to the job site that was searched.

side note : I dislike the use of “elderly “ because I myself resemble that remark.

@OldCop - what is your take on why such a limited space was dug up at Barry’s job site? Why would LE dig up what appears to be less than 10% of BM’s actual work? What type of evidence would make LE comfortable that they are accurately searching given the scope of the job site.
My personal belief is that they were looking for something very specific. Reports from the neighbor indicated that LE used GPR to go over the concrete pad. Whatever the radar revealed, it allowed them to zero in on a few spots. Once the concrete was removed, they began sifting. Obviously they were not looking for a whole body. I have thought it may have been something like a SIM card, a broken up cell phone, a broken up bike helmet? Maybe they found what they were looking for and didn’ Need to dig any further.
When BM was asked to describe his missing wife by the clerks in the convenience store he wrote out on a piece of paper: baby blue bike helmet and biking clothes. I believe this was late in the day after the concrete was poured. Did he give out the helmet description thinking it would never be found under the concrete and to add to his abduction narrative?
I have heard some folks repeatedly stress that LE found nothing during that search. We do not know that at all. LE said at the conclusion of the search that they had found nothing relating to the case AT THAT TIME. Anything found in that search would immediately be turned over to a lab for analysis. We have not heard LE announce the results of any search warrants or forensics reports in any part of this case. Why would this site be different?
MOO

MOO the river or trash dumpster on the way to Denver or Colorado Springs.

MOO think it likely BM spoke directly to the Sheriff after the 911 call. During the call he would say she uaually rides her bike on Sundays.
His phone pings on the way to Denver have likely yielded nothing. But I worry about the dumpsters near the job site he was prepping. Any evidence disposed would be long gone :(

I’ve been thinking about the “abrupt” ending to Suzanne’s conversation with her friend. I originally considered “abrupt ending” as Suzanne just not responding after hours of back and forth chit chat but the more I think about it tonight, the more I feel that what she actually meant was that Suzanne sent her something abrupt, after hours of back and forth chit chat. Maybe something brief such as “sorry got to go” or “talk later” indicating that there was maybe an issue she needed to deal with. That wouldn’t cause immediate concern though, unless you knew there were problems at home. Why would her friend have been repeatedly trying to get a hold of her if Suzanne just simply hadn’t responded or seemed like she was busy? I get the impression maybe Suzanne sent something very brief and out of character.

If it had been “Barry’s home, about to eat dinner, speak soon” then that obviously wouldn’t have concerned me. If it were “Just got to run an errand, back soon” and she was not “back soon” I would not have been concerned either as life gets in the way. Something her friend received gave her cause for concern.

Perhaps her friend knew of Barry’s temper based on word of mouth from his job sites? And/or maybe Suzanne had confided in her about issues at home? Maybe Barry arrived home that night and was in a bad mood, and maybe Suzanne told her friend that he was in a bad mood before the conversation ended abruptly?

Or maybe, Suzanne never sent that last abrupt text and someone else did? And the friend knew it wasn’t Suzanne based on spelling/grammar/lack of warmth...
It sounds to me they were in the middle of a conversation and quickly literally nothing. She tried her over and over---nothing. Her friend tried the next day again and again---nothing.

My personal belief is that they were looking for something very specific. Reports from the neighbor indicated that LE used GPR to go over the concrete pad. Whatever the radar revealed, it allowed them to zero in on a few spots. Once the concrete was removed, they began sifting. Obviously they were not looking for a whole body. I have thought it may have been something like a SIM card, a broken up cell phone, a broken up bike helmet? Maybe they found what they were looking for and didn’ Need to dig any further.
When BM was asked to describe his missing wife by the clerks in the convenience store he wrote out on a piece of paper: baby blue bike helmet and biking clothes. I believe this was late in the day after the concrete was poured. Did he give out the helmet description thinking it would never be found under the concrete and to add to his abduction narrative?
I have heard some folks repeatedly stress that LE found nothing during that search. We do not know that at all. LE said at the conclusion of the search that they had found nothing relating to the case AT THAT TIME. Anything found in that search would immediately be turned over to a lab for analysis. We have not heard LE announce the results of any search warrants or forensics reports in any part of this case. Why would this site be different?
MOO
" Anything found in that search would immediately be turned over to a lab for analysis." But the lab is closed.

Regarding the note that is being referenced in the links....was a "note' left at the Poncha Market in Salida late in the dayMay 12th by barry. .

That was Barry's 'helpful' description of her, written by Barry.
Baby Blue helmet...biking clothes...nothing else, no other detail added, whatsoever.
The clerk who received it, did post she thought it as vague...and weird. Vague?? Of course he did let her know about the 100K but it's not a part of his helpful description.

IMO the purpose of the note...was to continue/reinforce the narrative, nothing to do with helping find Suzanne...there was no description. ...

This is clearly a gray area post...the note was clearly discussed in detail (actually noted for it's lack of detail) Discussed by PE host, Chris and Mike who are approved, Unfortunately the actual note is posted by an unapproved source.

The note actually says "Baby blue Bike...helmet...biking clothes."

We can see one picture where her helmet is turquoise. Is it odd that I think her bike would not be baby blue if she wore a turquoise helmet? Did he even know the color of her helmet? Because the note only has a color term next to "bike."

If the bike was actually turquoise...and he wrote "baby blue," then tsk tsk Barry, we'll had "no strong knowledge of color terms" to his list of character traits. :confused:

It sounds to me they were in the middle of a conversation and quickly literally nothing. She tried her over and over---nothing. Her friend tried the next day again and again---nothing.
MOO sounds like she was killed Saturday night. Next is where was BM in those hours. Left his phone at home no doubt.
Was it him at the job site and was that machinery going Saturday night ?

It's definitely a possibility. I'd like to know if there was any communication via Suzanne's phone after the moment when the conversation came to an abrupt end. If not, then that would be a very interesting fact.

Remember the early July update from LS indicated that CBI told her that the last known contact with the missing person was later than they originally thought. Surely LE was aware of these texts and the spouse of the missing person's claim that he last saw her on 10MAY20 at 0500 early on in the investigation.

Thus, the last known contact is either after the texts on 09MAY20 or the 0500 10MAY20 claim by the spouse... IMO.

There is probably about a 12 hour time frame between the texts and the 0500 time, so not a big time frame, but there appears to be some sort of known contact after this time..IMO!

We're not talking about the typical class of steroids used for immune disorders. Nor are we talking about properly prescribed "steroids." At least, I'm not.

We're talking about so-called "performance enhancing drugs" used by athletes and gym rats to bulk up their muscles. People often refer to them as "steroids" but they can include compounds that cause mania.

Most people on steroids, like yourself, take them in the dosages prescribed by their doctors and are monitored for side effects. Not everyone gets side effects, thankfully.

Some people get these drugs at the gym, without Rx, and some people use them at higher doses than any doctor would prescribe.

Understanding the risks of performance-enhancing drugs.

I seriously doubt that you are on anabolic-androgen producing steroids which is what athletes (both male and female) may take to build muscle. They have many side effects, including rage and mania.

They cause women to grow hair on their faces and chests, too. They cause a woman's voice to lower. They increase risk of heart attack and stroke. The link above lists all the other physical side effects.
I'm on Prednisone. I have gained weight on these like everyone does because it increases your appetite and you eat all the time.

MOO

Great post @OldCop.

I never expected the search of the Salida build site to result in a body.

Knowing that BM had complete access to the site, I long believed that authorities may have found BM used the trash dumpster on site to dispose of unrelated items (personal papers, records, etc). I also think authorities had probable cause to believe evidence such as missing sim card, phone, hardware, etc. could be buried under the slab.

I think what we know for certain is the search did not result in the recovery of sufficient evidence for an arrest, and not that no evidence was found during the search. MOO

Last edited:
Mike and Chris from PE are 2 former LE. If they feel the need to 5+ times to say they red flag the cars---then there must be a reason.

The "ended abruptly" worried, disturbed and distress her friend. That tells me a great deal.

SM's family wants this information out. And trusts PE to do it. The "ended abruptly" is information that they feel is critical. That tells me a great deal.
BMM: They did not say why.. Did one of these cars belong to someone else? Did one of them have an out of state plate? Two cars is normal in a driveway. We have two cars but used to have 3 sometimes 4! Stopping a conversation because your spouse walks in and you have to leave is usual for me.

MOO
bbm
Thanks for clarifying this, OldCop !

The fact that LE have not brought up a random, bushy-haired kidnapper, an accident, a mountain lion, or that she left voluntarily ---but still seem to be focused on good old BM is telling.
The evidence has not led to any other scenario as yet.
I'm not discounting the possibility that BM may have had 'help'.
Imo.

I got the same impression from the PE video. They said she was persistent and kept trying to contact her friend.

At the very least, it sounds like her friend considered the ending to be out of character for SM. Yes, needing to end a conversation can happen, but likely that’s happened in the past between the 2 friends and SM would indicate some quick “gtg” or “ttyl”, if not spelling out that she needed to go.

MOO

As a hypothetical ... lets say BM wanted to deflect attention from himself and put the blame on someone else (just guessing here) let's say he wanted to blame a family member from her side. Isn't it curious to you that he didn't mention that possibility at the top of his list when talking to TD?

Spaghetti...ceiling...

He knew that nobody was buying his abduction/mountain lion scenario...so he had to invent a new narrative. All speculation And MOO of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow