Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Husband of missing Suzanne Morphew refused polygraph test; truck data doesn’t line up with alibi, family member says

August 11, 2020

The Fox 21 News report does not elaborate on how the data from Barry’s truck purportedly conflicts with what he told police. CrimeOnline has requested further specifics about a “critical analysis” test that Barry declined, according to the relative’s account.

[..]

According to Fox 21 News, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s department declined to comment on the family member’s new claims about Barry Morphew’s cooperation.

CrimeOnline will provide further updates when more information is available.

ETA:

1) Confirming CCSO declined to comment on SM's family member's comments. (There's no email from Sheriff circulating).

2) Confirming the family member did not elaborate on how the data from BM's truck conflicts with what he told police.

They should have been doing this from day 1 instead they put all their eggs into Barry.
That's not the way I see it. IMO, LE is looking for ADDITIONAL corroboration for what they already know.
Maybe BM should've gotten out there on day 1.
That is, if he truly believed his wife was abducted/kidnapped/missing/hit her head/ended up in the water/dragged up the mountain and eaten by a mountain lion/etc.

My take on the construction site: Jmo

I've been a project mgmt consultant now for 40 years. My clients are developers, owners, and GC's on large commercial construction projects located all over the country.

In commercial work, there are Site Work / Utility contractors, and then there are Landscape contractors. A Site Work /Utility contractor is the first sub on site. They handle mass excavation and grading, stripping topsoil, cut and fill, haul off /haul in, detention pond construction, entrance Rd construction, and undg untilities (storm, sanitary, & water, - less often gas or power). Sometime they are even responsible for the initial tree clearing and grinding (or they'll maybe sub that work to another sub)

Landscape contractors on the other hand do fine grading. They create berms. They smooth things out. They are just about the last subcontractor on the site. For the most part, they plant trees, shrubs, and sod, and work together with separate landscape lighting (LV) and irrigation crews. This work generally happens after the curb/gutter and sidewalks have been put place.

From what I can tell online, BM's company was definitely a landscape company, and not a site work /utility company. That said, unless he was real small time, he certainly would've had equipment capable of doing small to medium size (residential size) excavation and fill projects (i.e. excavation for a basement walls, foundation walls, deep piers, and pad grading), but not large site clearing, mass excavation/grading and utilities. For that you'd need mass excavators, big scrapers, dozers, loaders, and tons of trucks

The size of project a given contractor could handle would pretty much depend on how much and what size equipment the company owned or leased (that and how much they could bond)

I do think it's conceivable that BM could have done some "site work / utility" type of work on that residential project (where he was maybe contracted to later do landscaping). Excavation and fill at this early stage (especially for deep fdtns, basement walls, fdtn walls, below- grade piers, etc.,) of a residential project can still be pretty deep, maybe as deep as 10-12 feet.

If he buried something very deep, he likely covered the object with something before backfilling on top of it. This could potentially make the buried object very difficult to find (say, under a board or heavy plastic, covered by 12' of compacted dirt). This foundation or foundation wall backfill work would've happened WAY before any under-slab plumbing, under-slab or in-slab elect rough-in, mesh, and moisture barrier type inspections which typically happen just prior to a slab-on-grade placement/pour (all those things are in the sub grade).

I don't remember a lot from the several videos and stills of the investigation at the construction site that I saw, but it seemed to me that even in the areas where LE saw-cut the slab-on-grade, investigators weren't ever looking deep (at least not very deep). In fact, they were digging shallow, and even sifting. I never understood that.

Idk what ground penetrating radar can pick up (how deep and what materials and densities it can possibly see through), or how it was used (or even if one was used) at that residential construction site. I just remember thinking, "You're not looking deep enough. She would be deep, not right below the slab, not in the sub grade"

I mention this because I think this case will be nearly impossible to prosecute w/o a body, which is why (IMO) the investigation is (and will continue to be) stuck in purgatory.

I think that the residential site is still a very logical place for LE to look for SM's remains. They just need to look deeper. If they do not look there again - because they think they've already looked there once - I think they may never find SM, and never solve this case. Jmo

That's not the way I see it. IMO, LE is looking for ADDITIONAL corroboration for what they already know.
Maybe BM should've gotten out there on day 1.
That is, if he truly believed his wife was abducted/kidnapped/missing/hit her head/ended up in the water/dragged up the mountain and eaten by a mountain lion/etc.
Again why couldn’t those flyers been handed out 3 months ago they could have all the collaboration they need.

Again why couldn’t those flyers been handed out 3 months ago they could have all the collaboration they need.
Again, why didn't Barry coordinate with LE and the community, fire up thousands of flyers with his giveme funds, and distribute them? Why no press conferences with LE, begging the public for assistance in finding his wife?
I'm positive LE has a damn good reason for REdistributing flyers at this particular time.

Again, why didn't Barry coordinate with LE and the community, fire up thousands of flyers with his giveme funds, and distribute them? Why no press conferences with LE, begging the public for assistance in finding his wife?
I'm positive LE has a damn good reason for REdistributing flyers at this particular time.
<modsnip>I'm talking about LE's search efforts your deflecting to Barry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I'm a little pissed off with LE giving out these missing persons flyers today. They either can't get Barry or they've been on a witch hunt for 3 months.
In the first 24 hours LE used over 100 personnel to search for SM and put out this press release with 3 photos of her.
Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

By the end of the week they had found an item they think belongs to her, closed down a major highway for an entire day to search again, brought in dive teams from Pueblo to search waterways, held a televised news conference, set up a tip line asking the public to call in anything they may have seen and sent out a Reverse 911 call ( which usually is only utilized in emergencies) to every resident and business in Chaffee County to save all video footage from surveillance cameras, doorbell cameras and game cameras.
This was all in the first week.
They have performed 10 major searches thus far.

On June 10th the one month anniversary of the day she was reported missing LE did a major canvas with over 2 dozen cops of Salida and handed out flyers. See below :
URL="CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*"]CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*[/URL]

Oh yeah, and they have vetted and followed up on at least 600 leads.
If you think that LE has not done enough or has only focused on one possible scenario, then you have not been paying attention. JMO MOO

In the first 24 hours LE used over 100 personnel to search for SM and put out this press release with 3 photos of her.
Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

By the end of the week they had found an item they think belongs to her, closed down a major highway for an entire day to search again, brought in dive teams from Pueblo to search waterways, held a televised news conference, set up a tip line asking the public to call in anything they may have seen and sent out a Reverse 911 call ( which usually is only utilized in emergencies) to every resident and business in Chaffee County to save all video footage from surveillance cameras, doorbell cameras and game cameras.
This was all in the first week.
They have performed 10 major searches thus far.

On June 10th the one month anniversary of the day she was reported missing LE did a major canvas with over 2 dozen cops of Salida and handed out flyers. See below :
URL="CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*"]CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*[/URL]

Oh yeah, and they have vetted and followed up on at least 600 leads.
If you think that LE has not done enough or has only focused on one possible scenario, then you have not been paying attention. JMO MOO

Thank you, and everything you cited is just what WE know of.

I wonder if a part of the jewelry was found? Either the "personal item" or something at the job site, when they were sifting. Maybe just a part of a piece of jewelry, like a pendant part of a necklace or a piece of chain? The "personal item", if it was outside, something shiny in the ground covering could catch the eye, or if a metal detector was used. The gold bar necklace she's had on in a few pictures has a very fine chain. Maybe it's just one tiny link?

MOO

I've been a project mgmt consultant now for 40 years. My clients are developers, owners, and GC's on large commercial construction projects located all over the country.

In commercial work, there are Site Work / Utility contractors, and then there are Landscape contractors. A Site Work /Utility contractor is the first sub on site. They handle mass excavation and grading, stripping topsoil, cut and fill, haul off /haul in, detention pond construction, entrance Rd construction, and undg untilities (storm, sanitary, & water, - less often gas or power). Sometime they are even responsible for the initial tree clearing and grinding (or they'll maybe sub that work to another sub)

Landscape contractors on the other hand do fine grading. They create berms. They smooth things out. They are just about the last subcontractor on the site. For the most part, they plant trees, shrubs, and sod, and work together with separate landscape lighting (LV) and irrigation crews. This work generally happens after the curb/gutter and sidewalks have been put place.

From what I can tell online, BM's company was definitely a landscape company, and not a site work /utility company. That said, unless he was real small time, he certainly would've had equipment capable of doing small to medium size (residential size) excavation and fill projects (i.e. excavation for a basement walls, foundation walls, deep piers, and pad grading), but not large site clearing, mass excavation/grading and utilities. For that you'd need mass excavators, big scrapers, dozers, loaders, and tons of trucks

The size of project a given contractor could handle would pretty much depend on how much and what size equipment the company owned or leased (that and how much they could bond)

I do think it's conceivable that BM could have done some "site work / utility" type of work on that residential project (where he was maybe contracted to later do landscaping). Excavation and fill at this early stage (especially for deep fdtns, basement walls, fdtn walls, below- grade piers, etc.,) of a residential project can still be pretty deep, maybe as deep as 10-12 feet.

If he buried something very deep, he likely covered the object with something before backfilling on top of it. This could potentially make the buried object very difficult to find (say, under a board or heavy plastic, covered by 12' of compacted dirt). This foundation or foundation wall backfill work would've happened WAY before any under-slab plumbing, under-slab or in-slab elect rough-in, mesh, and moisture barrier type inspections which typically happen just prior to a slab-on-grade placement/pour (all those things are in the sub grade).

I don't remember a lot from the several videos and stills of the investigation at the construction site that I saw, but it seemed to me that even in the areas where LE saw-cut the slab-on-grade, investigators weren't ever looking deep (at least not very deep). In fact, they were digging shallow, and even sifting. I never understood that.

Idk what ground penetrating radar can pick up (how deep and what materials and densities it can possibly see through), or how it was used (or even if one was used) at that residential construction site. I just remember thinking, "You're not looking deep enough. She would be deep, not right below the slab, not in the sub grade"

I mention this because I think this case will be nearly impossible to prosecute w/o a body, which is why (IMO) the investigation is (and will continue to be) stuck in purgatory.

I think that the residential site is still a very logical place for LE to look for SM's remains. They just need to look deeper. If they do not look there again - because they think they've already looked there once - I think they may never find SM, and never solve this case. Jmo

Good to have your contribution here @Rush4087.
WS TOS prevents us from discussing /sleuthing BM's business except what's reported by MSM so this does impede our viewing his portfolio and idea of his equipment etc. On July 10, Fox21 LS Live reported her contact with BM's best friend, T. Skinner, who provided that BM engaged in commercial construction landscaping, and he was familiar with BM's project history in the Denver Metro area. He also stated he was not surprised to learn that BM was prepping a job in Denver on May 10. (BM allegedly departed for Denver 5 am and did not return to Salida until around 9 pm).

Relative to the searched residential building site in Salida, I do not believe the timeline of SM missing on May 10 supports authorities searching for SM's body at this location. I think they had reason to believe BM destroyed and/or hid evidence at the site, but not the body. I don't think they needed to dig deeper for this reason.

According to building records discussed on Profiling Evil, footings, foundation, and foundation drainage were all signed off by the County Inspector before the end of April, and sewer and water lines on May 1. Reportedly, the insulated slab on grade foundation was poured on May 11. Other than reports that BM was contracted by the owner to do some dirt work at the site, we have no information when BM was present or what work he actually performed.

MOO

Last edited:

Thank you for your insight. It is very much appreciated.

If he was a bully, Suzanne would not have said she wanted 20 more years in their marriage. She seemed very happy in all her pictures, more than happy,

Not saying she was happy or unhappy but you can't tell how happy somebody is by their social media photos, I will always put on big smile for a family photo even if i am feeling terrible inside.

I don't want to speak for anyone else but I don't believe anyone said 'physically harm them'.
One doesn't have to be a 'criminal mastermind' for someone who might betray them to fear reprisal of any form.

Sure. I just want to clearly understand what type of reprisal is being conjectured.

My point is that an unwillingness to challenge the guardianship petition is tantamount to agreeing to the guardianship. A caveat was mentioned: unwillingness to challenge the guardianship due to fear of reprisal, potentially a valid concern. I just want to know what form that reprisal supposedly will take so that I can determine if it's realistic enough to deter the Moormans from challenging the guardianship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member