Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been searching trying to find the quote that LS had about the CBI saying something about seeing SM later than previously thought. I can’t seem to find it, but I read that comment as something totally different o_O

I’d love to see the wording of that quote. (I recall it to but not the wording).

My take on it is that they originally had some public account or video of SM on 5/8 which lead to the request to keep video footage between 5/8-5/12. So essentially 5/8 was in play as a date of foul play. But then we learned SM’s best friend was in contact for much of the day and into the evening of 5/9 and something sent her into a panic later 5/9. So that timeline movement from 5/8 to late 5/9 was what CBI referred to.

I can’t reconcile her best friends panic on 5/9 and SM still being OK that evening and something happening on 5/10.

Are you sure that they don't transfer to another state?
I had guardianship of my niece in Florida and it was just as legal in NY. Don't know about IN and CO, but I would think that full guardianship might transfer to other states, that's why I asked if you're sure.
If I'm not mistaken, the full guardianship hearing is impending and that's why the interim individual real estate cases have been filed. Please do correct me if I'm mistaken.

Well, I don't do guardianship cases, but -- in general -- courts of one state will honor orders of a foreign state as long as the foreign order doesn't violate the state's statutes or its public policies. I'm not 100% sure what a CO court will do if Barry is granted guardianship here in Indiana and then seeks to use the order in Colorado. @oviedo may have encountered an out-of-state guardianship order in her work and may be best positioned to opine on what a Colorado court may do.

I totally understand why the temporary guardianship petition was filed in Hamilton Superior Court shortly before the sale of the Morphew home in Hamilton County: the home was on contract and had to close or else the Morphews would be in breach of their sale contract. It's a lot easier to get the sale done and deed recorded if it's done pursuant to the authority of a local court rather than having to obtain a Coloardo guardianship order and then use it in Indiana. Furthermore, I'm not clear as to whether the courts in Colorado were open for civil cases at the time (due to Covid-19).

As to the guardianship hearing in Hamilton Superior Court, you're correct. It's set for September 1. Indiana law allows anybody to take part in a guardianship proceeding -- subject to the judge's discretion -- but nobody else has filed to take part in the proceeding.

Colorado woman woken from sleep by loud noises, sounds of ‘running’ at construction site that was focus of Suzanne Morphew search — the night before she went missing: Report

I'm wondering if anyone ever found out what these loud noises could have been that were coming from the property the night before Suzanne was reported missing. Could that have been BM loading up some equipment to move the next day so he could leave out early in the morning without waking anyone up in the neighborhood or could it have been something else? That is one of those times a nosey neighbor would have been a good thing in my opinion.

I’d love to see the wording of that quote. (I recall it to but not the wording).

My take on it is that they originally had some public account or video of SM on 5/8 which lead to the request to keep video footage between 5/8-5/12. So essentially 5/8 was in play as a date of foul play. But then we learned SM’s best friend was in contact for much of the day and into the evening of 5/9 and something sent her into a panic later 5/9. So that timeline movement from 5/8 to late 5/9 was what CBI referred to.

I can’t reconcile her best friends panic on 5/9 and SM still being OK that evening and something happening on 5/10.
i agree. i wonder what it was that made her panic. does sm always text back fast or did she have a bad vibe or something else. i havent found anything that explains it

I’ve been searching trying to find the quote that LS had about the CBI saying something about seeing SM later than previously thought. I can’t seem to find it, but I read that comment as something totally different o_O
Actually, I don't ever recall seeing this in print media but I did hear LS comment about this during her FB live update. I think it was July 10 but I'm not positive about the date. MOO

I would imagine that LE is paying very close attention to many of those involved. I’m okay with anyone rattling a cage or two. If a friend or family member spoke out of their own accord, I’d be okay with that too. Tell Suzanne’s story.

I recall it. I’ll look too.

I have that same question.
I need to actually watch that FB live she did myself if it's still posted.

I'm not entirely confident that LS didn't misspeak or misquote LE in that live.
Having read some of her tweets and articles, I think it's entirely possible that she may have unintentionally misspoken. That's not a criticism of her.
Nobody's perfect.
Misreporting happens in MSM.

I'd prefer to hear it directly from LE that SM was last seen later than they originally thought she was seen.

I'd also like verification from LE that this was a verified independent sighting, as opposed to BM saying it was the last time he saw her.

Of course, the difficulty with that statement, even if accurate, is that LE hasn't come out and told the public what time they "originally thought" SM was last seen, so we're without any frame of reference.

If a true statement, it's an interesting one.

I have my doubts as to the accuracy of it.

JMO.
It comes at about 10:30 in the live.

A rough transcription is:

Question: Do we even know who was the last one to see her?

LS: "So I did ask CBI about that and CBI told me it's part of the investigation, they are actively seeking tips from citizens, but they believe someone has seen her more recently than previously thought. And then when I asked about the question 'when is the last time someone spoke with Suzanne?'... perhaps someone has spoken with her more recently than previously thought. So it's still part of the investigation."

FWIW, she appears to look down at her notes and read from them as soon as she gets to the 'CBI told me' part. But she could be confusing a hypothetical for a definitive statement or something. Hard to know from our end. If CBI really told her that though, it seems like it might be worth more than just a mention in a facebook live. But I guess it's a hard story to write without knowing what they originally believed.
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19
Post #767

Having read some of her tweets and articles, I think it's entirely possible that she may have unintentionally misspoken. That's not a criticism of her.
Nobody's perfect.

I'd prefer to hear it directly from LE that SM was last seen later than they originally thought she was seen.

I'd also like verification from LE that this was a verified independent sighting, as opposed to BM saying it was the last time he saw her.

Of course, the difficulty with that statement, even if accurate, is that LE hasn't come out and told the public what time they "originally thought" SM was last seen, so we're without any frame of reference.

JMO.

LS: "So I did ask CBI about that and CBI told me it's part of the investigation, they are actively seeking tips from citizens, but they believe someone has seen her more recently than previously thought. And then when I asked about the question 'when is the last time someone spoke with Suzanne?'... perhaps someone has spoken with her more recently than previously thought. So it's still part of the investigation."

FWIW, she appears to look down at her notes and read from them as soon as she gets to the 'CBI told me' part. But she could be confusing a hypothetical for a definitive statement or something. Hard to know from our end. If CBI really told her that though, it seems like it might be worth more than just a mention in a facebook live. But I guess it's a hard story to write without knowing what they originally believed.
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19
Post #767

Maybe Barry didn’t come home alone on 5/9 and someone was with Barry in the house that saw SM “later than previously thought”.

Just a totally wild guess.

It was an LS video/interview. I believe Jul 10th. I don’t have any SM accounts, so I can’t get beyond that.

Nobody's perfect.

JMO.

Post #767

I just stated that I've never seen this allegation of later sighting in other print media but only by LS FB live (maybe her twitter?).

I agree that reading above as transcribed, I don't think it's necessarily definitive this occurred, but maybe that a later sighting is a possibility (after authorities canvass the area again).

MOO

Colorado woman woken from sleep by loud noises, sounds of ‘running’ at construction site that was focus of Suzanne Morphew search — the night before she went missing: Report

I'm wondering if anyone ever found out what these loud noises could have been that were coming from the property the night before Suzanne was reported missing. Could that have been BM loading up some equipment to move the next day so he could leave out early in the morning without waking anyone up in the neighborhood or could it have been something else? That is one of those times a nosey neighbor would have been a good thing in my opinion.

I should go back and find this but I remember an article and/or quote from a neighbor saying that the sounds were so unusual that they took videos/photos of what was happening. I’ve been to lazy to go back and source that but it happened right when this new info broke and hasn’t come back up in subsequent articles on that event.

Nobody's perfect.

JMO.

Post #767
Ah, I should have scrolled further.

Maybe Barry didn’t come home alone on 5/9 and someone was with Barry in the house that saw SM “later than previously thought”.

Just a totally wild guess.

It’s crossed my mind that someone else may have been in the house that evening. May have been a participant in a crime, or gotten roped into a cover up.

MOO

I believe it was during the special Profiling Evil session announcing the hosts received info from SM's family members that host Chris stated that LE would likely facilitate BM and family find temporary housing (i.e., short-term rentals) when the Morphew residence was held by authorities. Chris provided this is a normal procedure most likely through the victim's advocate services.

I'll check the transcript for the show and edit my post if I can locate this passage. MOO

Well, I don't do guardianship cases, but -- in general -- courts of one state will honor orders of a foreign state as long as the foreign order doesn't violate the state's statutes or its public policies. I'm not 100% sure what a CO court will do if Barry is granted guardianship here in Indiana and then seeks to use the order in Colorado. @oviedo may have encountered an out-of-state guardianship order in her work and may be best positioned to opine on what a Colorado court may do.

I totally understand why the temporary guardianship petition was filed in Hamilton Superior Court shortly before the sale of the Morphew home in Hamilton County: the home was on contract and had to close or else the Morphews would be in breach of their sale contract. It's a lot easier to get the sale done and deed recorded if it's done pursuant to the authority of a local court rather than having to obtain a Coloardo guardianship order and then use it in Indiana. Furthermore, I'm not clear as to whether the courts in Colorado were open for civil cases at the time (due to Covid-19).

As to the guardianship hearing in Hamilton Superior Court, you're correct. It's set for September 1. Indiana law allows anybody to take part in a guardianship proceeding -- subject to the judge's discretion -- but nobody else has filed to take part in the proceeding.

So you're not sure, nor am I, if the IN guardianship does transfer to CO. I'll look into it.
Do you know when the home in Hamilton county was in contract? I'd love to see the date and who it was sold to.
It's not as simple as you imply, regarding guardianship proceedings.
It would take someone, which could only be one of her two children , in this case (unless there was a legal document declaring another family member as a designated power of attorney), to object to his filing.
There are many variables at work here.
Do the children have money for representation? Do they want to go against their father, especially in a public forum?
Are they still holding out hope that their father had nothing to do with their Mother's disappearance?
Are they afraid of emotional or financial or even physical repercussions if they would?

ETA: Or, perhaps, they are so devastated that they just want it all to go away.
I can see that, very sadly.

Last edited:
I believe it was during the special Profiling Evil session announcing the hosts received info from SM's family members that host Chris stated that LE would likely facilitate BM and family find temporary housing (i.e., short-term rentals) when the Morphew residence was held by authorities. Chris provided this is a normal procedure most likely through the victim's advocate services.

I'll check the transcript for the show and edit my post if I can locate this passage. MOO
You're correct, he did say that LE does help them find temporary housing.
I do believe, however, BM was staying at a friend's house where he was pacing and looking out windows, according to MSM.
Don't know if the young ladies were there also.

Last edited:

The hearing on September 1st is taking place via MS Teams Video Conference.

In the Vallow case, media was allowed to broadcast the video conference. I wonder if the media could petition to do the same for this hearing? Your thoughts?

There was a sighting on Wednesday 5/6, by the person dumping trash at the communal dumpster Of her and BM.

IIRC LS also confirmed with Scott (bicycle repairman) that he had seen SM on Thursday, May 5/7. It was never clear if Scott went to her home to repair her bike or if she went to his repair shop. I assume LS communicated with Scott by email, rather than in person, as that’s the impression I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679