Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand not wanting to alienate their daughters, but they are also old enough to understand and question their father's financial maneuverings.

MOO

There has been a case here, in Australia, even AFTER the father eventually took a plea, for Manslaughter in the killing of his wife, the daughter, a young adult, still supports and defends him.
Blood is thick.

That father for a couple of years, lied about his guilt to all family and friends.
Eventually he was nailed, due to CCTV using his car, for disposing his wife's body.

Let us hope, we end up, with similar events here.
MOO.

I've had that thought as well. From the looks of it so far, BM was in charge of everything. So what if things got rough financially and he decided it was time to use assets that had been designated for the girls future, for other things new truck, new land.
What if, for the first time in their married life, Suzanne had to stand up to him and say NO? I don't think he ever liked to hear the word NO. Moo of course.

This perhaps, may have been the motive in SM being missing.
It may have happened, during SM's girlfriend exchanging messages with SM.
SM wanted to attend the wedding, buy an expensive gift/outfit etc and controlling BM 'hit the roof'.
Money wasted in BM's eyes.
MOO.

Without a doubt, they’ve already uncovered plenty, the only question is, is it enough yet? Enough to charge and secure a guilty verdict. Suzanne deserves that. Her family deserves that. Her killer deserves to go to prison.....for a very long time. MOO

Of course, it would have to be a very strong case.
I'm thinking (hoping?) that the reason for the delay in charges may be three-fold.
First, to find SM's body, second to secure any accomplice (before or after TF) who could roll on the perp, and third, to substantiate evidence that her murder was premeditated.
I am optimistic that LE's canvassing/interviewing in IN was to obtain the latter.
It would mean the difference between 8-24 years or life in prison.

IMO

ITA
My girls are about the same ages, and I cannot imagine them having ANY idea of what to do in this situation. I would not expect them to stand up to their dad if they even did understand at all what was going on. One of them might technically be an adult, but in my mind she’s still a kid. College age just doesn’t have the life experience to put something this complicated and emotionally confusing together AND act on it. Older family members must stand up for them and their interests. I hope they do even it’s a hard thing to do.

Even adults often have little knowledge of what may result here.
You wouldn't think, your own father, may use proceedings against your future interests.:(:(:(
The girls need Attorney and SM's family to support them, before matters proceed.
MOO.

Jumping off eggsalad's post.
Is Suzanne near or far? With the Denver trip, I agree, it leaves it open for either.
I think that it was done before the sun rose on Mother's Day morning.
Such a dark, dark deed.
To further complicate the puzzle, was it premeditated? If it was well thought out, he could have had his eye on the site for some time. I'm leaning towards unpremeditated tho. A domestic violence situation that he could see no way out of. Not dissimilar to old Tee.
Trying to put myself in his shoes, I feel that he immediately went into cleanup mode, easy for a hunter. Then took her somewhere he was familiar with, even if it was just a high elevation road. Was Denver more than just a place to hide while his wife was discovered missing? Was it also a cover for being along a particular route
through the mountains?
For now, I think he had a specific place in mind when he left the house, in the dark, with Suzanne wrapped up tight.
Just wish she could be found. She deserves a respectful Christian burial, in line with her faith. Moo

You would think, BM knew of numerous 'hiding places', that would possibly not be uncovered.
You would go there, dispose the body, as the area was familiar to you.

If a truck/car had been used in the transport of the body, extensive technical studies, may uncover stops/breaks in the journey.
Also phone pings during the trip, would be an advantage.
We wait.....
MOO.

I’m surprised at how intentionally and aggressively Barry has gone after the real estate deals, including the guardianship. It makes for such a transparently obvious motive. Seems like someone in his position would have more chill about it, or at least wait awhile and not make any big moves for the time being. Does he not realize he is possibly the #1 POI or does he just not care? It’s perplexing.

IMO
Totally agree.

So, he’s either totally innocent and just doing what he needs to do OR he’s guilty and doesn’t give a flying fig newton about his actions

OR he’s guilty and thinking that people would “think” that a guilty man would NEVER do these things if he were truly guilty. :rolleyes:
JMO

You would think, BM knew of numerous 'hiding places', that would possibly not be uncovered.

If a truck/car had been used in the transport of the body, extensive technical studies, may uncover stops/breaks in the journey.
We wait.....
MOO.
Yes we wait. Sometimes not patiently, but at least we have good company while we do. Moo

The statutory language actually states that "Any person may apply for permission to participate in the proceeding," subject to the court's permission. IC § 29-3-5-1 (emphasis supplied). If the General Assembly wanted certain persons excluded, it certainly could have done so. IMHO, it's not a standing question, though the judge can certainly deny a request to take part.

I agree that they would be revealing quite a bit about their case if police took part and, accordingly, are unlikely to do so. It would certainly be unorthodox for police to attempt to take part, but the ability to get a possible suspect to answer questions under oath doesn't occur very often.

I do not know what Suzanne's family knows or doesn't know. They've been remarkably reserved during all this.
Perhaps a certain Indiana lawyer could maybe contact the family or represent SM’s interest?

If only we knew one we could contact that knows about this case? Hmmm. :p

Kidding aside, thanks for all your input throughout this case - even IF I may not always agree with you! :)

Putting the body somewhere well hidden would be high on the list of probability. The least messy and most time efficient. It does leave open the possibility that someone who knows him well might have an inkling of where that place could be. MOO.

Seriously IMO someone needs to step in and represent SM in this guardianship - it’s unfair for this to proceed when even in my state the judge appoints a lawyer to represent the Ward - did this missing person statue even address this ? I’m disgusted ... still
Jmo

Seriously IMO someone needs to step in and represent SM in this guardianship - it’s unfair for this to proceed when even in my state the judge appoints a lawyer to represent the Ward - did this missing person statue even address this ? I’m disgusted ... still
Jmo
Wish I could like this a million times! How can they not appoint a lawyer to look after a MISSING person’s interest in this day and age?
MOO

Hello- IMO they can smell through metal, concrete, dirt, water....

The smell of your cooking is probably making her excited about eating. When I have a dog not feeling well and wants to turn a nose up to food, I cook. It usually gets them interested in eating from the smell alone. The nose, knows :)

So they CAN smell through metal...when you said Nah nice try I wasn’t sure what you meant but I get it now. And concrete & water. That’s amazing! I keep waiting for cancer sniffing dogs to be used more. Can you imagine if humans could smell that well? I guess that could be good & bad. Yeah Daisy usually gets a few little nibbles of people food but I’m not supposed to give her pork. She was acting so whacko today growling and snorting - usually when I’m cooking she just hangs out in the kitchen and try’s to look cute and suck up to me. :p Guess I went a little OT sorry but the original discussion started because we were talking about finding Suzanne and different hiding places and if dogs could scent through different mediums. I knew you would be able to tell us the answers so thanks!!

Totally agree.

So, he’s either totally innocent and just doing what he needs to do OR he’s guilty and doesn’t give a flying fig newton about his actions

OR he’s guilty and thinking that people would “think” that a guilty man would NEVER do these things if he were truly guilty. :rolleyes:
JMO
I’m going with he “doesn’t give a flying fig newton” about optics. I don’t think he has the ability to get out of himself and take a good look at how his actions appear to those looking on.

And, off to the gym he goes to pump up and show off. I wonder how many push ups he can do in a minute? ;) He really is a piece of work! :mad:

I’m going with he “doesn’t give a flying fig newton” about optics. I don’t think he has the ability to get out of himself and take a good look at how his actions appear to those looking on.

And, off to the gym he goes to pump up and show off. I wonder how many push ups he can do in a minute? ;) He really is a piece of work! :mad:
Hardly the 'grieving spouse' . :rolleyes:

I’m surprised at how intentionally and aggressively Barry has gone after the real estate deals, including the guardianship. It makes for such a transparently obvious motive. Seems like someone in his position would have more chill about it, or at least wait awhile and not make any big moves for the time being. Does he not realize he is possibly the #1 POI or does he just not care? It’s perplexing.

IMO

Perhaps BM is not bright and doesn't connect his 'essential tasks' being controversial.
He doesn't care what others think.
He is in control of his actions, always!!!
MOO.

This perhaps, may have been the motive in SM being missing.
It may have happened, during SM's girlfriend exchanging messages with SM.
SM wanted to attend the wedding, buy an expensive gift/outfit etc and controlling BM 'hit the roof'.
Money wasted in BM's eyes.
MOO.
I wondered about that too. I’m not working now and it gives me guilt feelings to spend money without running it by DH whereas I used to just use my own money on whatever I needed or wanted. His money is our money & my money was mine and my daughter’s spending money. That’s fair right? It’s a weird change and he certainly doesn’t try to “control” me but maybe BM did try and control Suzanne. Some couples do the bills together but usually one spouse is the person in charge of finances and bill paying in the household. And certainly that person has the opportunity to hide things. I wonder if BM may have been spending more money than Suzanne realized or depleted money in savings or took out loans she wasn’t aware of? Financial infidelity so to speak...and Suzanne found out. What if her children’s foundation was supposed to have a lot more money in it and he was syphoning money from it? I don’t know what an alpha mountain man landscaper type would be spending a lot of money on though. BM doesn’t seem flashy like he spends tons of money on things like clothes or jewelry. Maybe too many hunting trips and fancy vacations or maybe he had a gambling habit or girlfriend? Or maybe he spent excessively on his business and then his business wasn’t doing well and he didn’t want her to know. Well he does seem to like big ticket items like trucks and land. Maybe she found out he was going behind her back doing something shady that she couldn’t get past and was planning to leave him. Maybe she realized he wasn’t the man she thought he was? Maybe he took full advantage of that Wild at Heart philosophy. All speculation and moo.

Last edited:
Of course, it would have to be a very strong case.
I'm thinking (hoping?) that the reason for the delay in charges may be three-fold.
First, to find SM's body, second to secure any accomplice (before or after TF) who could roll on the perp, and third, to substantiate evidence that her murder was premeditated.
I am optimistic that LE's canvassing/interviewing in IN was to obtain the latter.
It would mean the difference between 8-24 years or life in prison.

IMO
Smart thinking...very good reasons! We want LIFE! Wish there was more than that! :mad:

Thank you for your post making GPS more clear for me.

Question: A mobile phone would require additional GPS specifications to also function with satellite, correct?

The phone has to have two capacities: connect to cellular (proprietary) satellite and GPS (international system, not proprietary).

The specifications are built into the chip in the phone. Some people believe this is an international conspiracy (to track all of us via satellite), others think it is a convenience.

You can have GPS without a phone at all (some of us have those for camping - both the satellites and passing aircraft can read the signal from GPS, is my understanding (there's an emergency channel?)

It's pretty rare to find a smartphone that doesn't have GPS as well as, obviously, cellular.

We wait.....
MOO.

ALL double MOO: from looking at maps and vehicles available.
Possible he took his phone to Salida and left the phone at the construction site in Salida before proceeding 10 miles further south on highway 50 by the river.
Then upon return to the Salida construction site he cranked machinery until he got someone to open a door. To provide an evening alibi, "getting ready" for Denver.

Issue is what car was he really driving. One poster here found Suzanne had a 2003 Accord registered to her.
MOO So, it would be possible to have a 30 - 60 minute excursion south of Salida that would be undetected in a 2003 car as the phone pinged continuously at the construction site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member