Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
was BM a firefighter in indiana, too? or was that a new colorado job?

As I recall, he became a volunteer fireman after they moved to Colorado. It doesn't pay anything, but he gets a free gym membership. Moo

The firefighter volunteer position seemed to be a Colorado thing (somebody correct me if I’m wrong). It’s probably a great way to become part of the community, network for business opportunities. Free gym membership, too.

Husband of Suzanne Morphew is having a 'difficult time' as diggers continue construction site search | Daily Mail Online

May 24/25, 2020

Bertam says that there was no training the weekend Suzanne went missing and believes Barry had been in Denver for a landscaping job.

Bertam says he recruited Barry to be a volunteer firefighter in 2018 and describes Suzanne as a well-liked woman in the area.

'She was one of the most friendly people I’ve ever met. Very genuine, she would come up and talk to you. It definitely hit hard when I heard that she was missing,' Bertam said.

Volunteer | Chaffee County Fire

Volunteer

Do you have what it takes to be a firefighter?

We are looking for individuals that are passionate about helping their community and frankly want to be part of the greatest profession on earth.

If answering the call for help is in your blood, then download the Information Packet to learn more about our Candidate Training Program, then fill out our Application.

We recruit year-round for two application deadlines, so an opportunity to join is on the horizon.

We are looking for you!

You can also learn more by calling us at (719) 395-6545, email (click here), or drop by our main office at 499 Antero Circle in Buena Vista to talk with us in person.

https://www.chaffeecountyfire.org/s..._volunteer_information_packet_winter_2018.pdf

Please see pages 10-12. BM saw the timed physical agility test (PAT) and he was sold -- there was no denying him an application (i.e., current push up champ is child play).

In his interview with Chris McDonough and Mike King at Profiling Evil, Tyson Draper told them that they day he took video of BM was the SECOND day Tyson had been in the area. Tyson reported that the first day, he had seen BM drive past in his pickup and that BM looked very distraught; his hair was all disheveled, he was red all over (he wasn't wearing a shirt), and he appeared like he was hitting his chest up against the steering wheel, like someone might do if they were upset. When asked, Tyson said BM didn't appear to notice him; he just drove past.

I wonder where BM had been before he'd driven past Tyson that day and what it was that so affected him.
I don't doubt that BM had been watching every day at any and everyone going by. He saw TD with his video camera thing (I can never remember the name of it).
If I'm not mistaken, TD saw him one other time, all wet, like he'd been in the water, unless that was the same time as you say.
I think he deliberately availed himself to TD when he was ready to make his debut.

Lots of thoughts about SUZANNE and where she could be, especially with her brother trying to organize a search for her in September.

Could she be hidden south of the Morphew house, up in the hills behind the home? That area isn’t inhabited for many miles, and is maybe national forest?

My thought process is this: BM has just mortally wounded SUZANNE, what’s next. Hiding her body the fastest, easiest way (if the murder was not planned). If the Morphews own a four wheeler or side-by-side, using it to go out into the woods behind the house might be a good stealthy option versus driving a vehicle along the local highways with SUZANNE’s body.

BM could leave his phone at home, be gone an hour or so, return home, and finalize his cover up plan.

Speculation and IMO.
Absolutely. Something thought of quickly and well executed is what I think. If not a stranger/psycho during the day, BM had time at night. I am very open to a stranger/stalker but nothing is coming forth yet about an unaccounted for car going through the area. etc.
BUT about the mountains, they are quiet at night and 4 wheeler noise could easily have been be heard down at the campground.
This is why I think if BM involved he covered his movements with "normal" activity. Like possibly going to the jobsite in Salida to pick up equipment.

Notably the bike was down a hill on 225 and the personal item up the hill on the other side of 50. Both items at tossing distance from the road.

Last edited:
Does anyone have insight regarding why the searched that AM is planning is three weeks away? Why are they waiting?

ETA: beyond logistics, or it simply that? Logistics and they know she is not alive.

Last edited:
Divorcing Incapacitated Person? IN? Presumed Dead in CO?
....QUESTION: If BM wants to marry Jane Doe, would BM have to wait 7 years before he could legally marry Jane Doe? Must SM be declared dead before he can remarry? Can he divorce his missing wife before 7 years pass?....MOO
@Brubon bbm sbm
After five (5) yrs of SM's absence, BM could petition CO ct to have SM declared dead.*

Per IN. statute** appears ct could auth. BM to file for dissolution on SM's behalf. Iiuc ---
First Gdn petitions ct to request auth'y to petition for dissolution of marriage on behalf of Incap Person
Requires notice, hearing.
If ct finds it's in ICP's best interests, ct can grant petition to authorize Gdn to petition for dissolution.
Ct is to consider "best interests of ICP" and "totality of circumstances" and ICP's intents, preferences, and prior decisions (details below).
IF BM was to file for this now, I wonder what evd a man w wife declared ICP, on basis of ~ 5 mo absence could offer to convince judge that a divorce is in her best interests.

Iiuc, then Gdn would have to file petition for dissolution on behalf of ICP, which would be in a different ct.
Iiuc, Gdn could file for dissolution in IN ct, only if he was resident of IN. BM has not been an IN resident for 2+ yrs.
Normally jurisdiction for dissolution is in husband's and wife's state of residence, here it is CO, where BM and SM have been CO residents for two+ yrs.

I wonder if BM will petition to transfer Gdn'ship case to CO. Or whether he would file in CO de novo. jm2cts.

I'll paste sections of the IN** law in a separate post.
As always I welcome comment, clarification, correction, esp'ly from our legal professionals.
"(e) An individual whose death is not established under paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection (1) or under section 15-10-106.5 who is absent for a continuous period of five years, during which he or she has not been heard from, and whose absence is not satisfactorily explained after diligent search or inquiry, is presumed to be dead." https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-15-probate-trusts-and-fiduciaries/co-rev-st-sect-15-10-107.html

Last edited:
Divorcing Incapacitated Person? IN?
Adding to my post above.
**IN. Gdn'ship
"IC 29-3-9-12.2 Petition for authority to petition for dissolution...; granting petition; considerations;....
" Sec. 12.2. (a) If a guardian of an incapacitated person determines that:
(1) a dissolution of the incapacitated person's marriage; ...
is in the best interests of the incapacitated person, the guardian shall petition the court to request the authority to petition for a dissolution of marriage, a legal separation, or an annulment of marriage on behalf of the incapacitated person."

Petition Content; Notice; Hearing;
"(e) If the court determines by clear and convincing evidence that petitioning for:
is in the best interests of the incapacitated person, considering the totality of the circumstances, including the desire and interests of the spouse in remaining married, the court shall grant the petition and authorize the guardian to petition for dissolution of marriage... on behalf of the incapacitated person.
" (f) In making a determination under subsection (e), the court shall consider the risk of harm to the incapacitated person's physical or mental health, safety, or property if the court does not grant the petition....
"(g) In making a determination under subsection (e), the court shall also give appropriate weight to evidence of:

"(1) the incapacitated person's intent or preferences; or
(2) a prior decision of the incapacitated person;
for or against a dissolution of marriage, ... court may reduce the weight given to evidence of the intent, preferences, or prior decisions of the incapacitated person if the court concludes, from all of the relevant facts and circumstances, that the passage of time, the relevant circumstances at the time of a prior statement or action by the incapacitated person, or changed circumstances after a prior statement or action make the prior statement or action less reliable evidence of the incapacitated person's best interests and current preferences. The court may give no weight to evidence considered under this subsection that the court concludes is unreliable evidence of the incapacitated person's best interests and current preferences.
IC 29-3-9-13 Filing petition for dissolution.... in guardian's county of residence
Sec. 13. (a) This section applies if a court has authorized a guardian to petition for dissolution of marriage, legal separation, or annulment of marriage on behalf of an incapacitated person under section 12.2 of this chapter.
(b) A guardian may file a petition for dissolution on behalf of an incapacitated person under IC 31-15-2 in the county where the guardian resides in accordance with IC 31-15-2-6.

IN Dissolution
IC 31-15-2-6 Residence; filing in county of guardian's residence
My interp: ^ applies only if Gdn is resident of IN.

That puts an interesting context about TN saying early on to ask the sherif about the condition of the bike. I think TN might have been in the foul play camp really early on too.

Yes--and reminds me of what a great job Tyson Draper did with getting that video. It shaped my thinking significantly, and revealed BM's investment in the bike scenario in a way that seemed strange early on. I mean why would he care if the bike staged unless he was the one who staged it?

BBM I agree Boxer. I would bet his priorities have been out of whack his entire life. BM only cares about himself. I think Suzanne loved being a mother. She was happy and kept busy with the girls school, sports and social events. I think things started to crumble when the girls got older and Suzanne and Barry had to spend more time alone. MOO

I wonder, if spending more time together, revealed to SM, BM's character.
She possibly requested a divorce, as things between them were poor.
Now she is missing, and we (plus the Moorman family, plus the Salida community), all learn about BM's character.
Things are not rosy for BM.o_O
MOO.

Suzanne Morphew’s brother calls for ‘army search’ in Colorado next month | FOX21 News Colorado

Aug 30, 2020

“The bicycle was not ridden over the hill. It was thrown there by human hands,” Moorman said.

“Suzanne would never leave her home or her daughters there just no way. She’s hidden way too well. A predator doesn’t do that. A robber doesn’t do that. This is something other than that.”

Suzanne’s brother clarified he did not see the recovered bike himself, but said investigators talked to him about what they had found.

“They told me at least the wheels weren’t bent. Nothing was tore up on the bike… and there was no signs of a struggle. And from that moment on – I thought for sure that this was foul play,” he said.

Lots of thoughts about SUZANNE and where she could be, especially with her brother trying to organize a search for her in September.

Could she be hidden south of the Morphew house, up in the hills behind the home? That area isn’t inhabited for many miles, and is maybe national forest?

My thought process is this: BM has just mortally wounded SUZANNE, what’s next. Hiding her body the fastest, easiest way (if the murder was not planned). If the Morphews own a four wheeler or side-by-side, using it to go out into the woods behind the house might be a good stealthy option versus driving a vehicle along the local highways with SUZANNE’s body.

BM could leave his phone at home, be gone an hour or so, return home, and finalize his cover up plan.

Speculation and IMO.
That’s where I think she is too. Keeping her close by. I think she’s buried deep in the woods.

I'm not sure what the "lead we board" means. Bulletin Board? Probably auto corrected. It sounds to me like maybe there was a competition at the local Gym and there was some public information and a picture that someone posted? I haven't seen the post but it sounds like BM won. Imo
I think they meant to write ‘leaderboard’?

Does anyone have insight regarding why the searched that AM is planning is three weeks away? Why are they waiting?

ETA: beyond logistics, or it simply that? Logistics and they know she is not alive.

They may also be hoping it gives time for something more to come to light that helps them know where exactly to search, IMO

Divorcing Incapacitated Person? IN?
Adding to my post above.
**IN. Gdn'ship
"IC 29-3-9-12.2 Petition for authority to petition for dissolution...; granting petition; considerations;....
" Sec. 12.2. (a) If a guardian of an incapacitated person determines that:
is in the best interests of the incapacitated person, the guardian shall petition the court to request the authority to petition for a dissolution of marriage, a legal separation, or an annulment of marriage on behalf of the incapacitated person."

Petition Content; Notice; Hearing;
"(e) If the court determines by clear and convincing evidence that petitioning for:
is in the best interests of the incapacitated person, considering the totality of the circumstances, including the desire and interests of the spouse in remaining married, the court shall grant the petition and authorize the guardian to petition for dissolution of marriage... on behalf of the incapacitated person.
" (f) In making a determination under subsection (e), the court shall consider the risk of harm to the incapacitated person's physical or mental health, safety, or property if the court does not grant the petition....
"(g) In making a determination under subsection (e), the court shall also give appropriate weight to evidence of:

"(1) the incapacitated person's intent or preferences; or
(2) a prior decision of the incapacitated person;
for or against a dissolution of marriage, ... court may reduce the weight given to evidence of the intent, preferences, or prior decisions of the incapacitated person if the court concludes, from all of the relevant facts and circumstances, that the passage of time, the relevant circumstances at the time of a prior statement or action by the incapacitated person, or changed circumstances after a prior statement or action make the prior statement or action less reliable evidence of the incapacitated person's best interests and current preferences. The court may give no weight to evidence considered under this subsection that the court concludes is unreliable evidence of the incapacitated person's best interests and current preferences.
IC 29-3-9-13 Filing petition for dissolution.... in guardian's county of residence
Sec. 13. (a) This section applies if a court has authorized a guardian to petition for dissolution of marriage, legal separation, or annulment of marriage on behalf of an incapacitated person under section 12.2 of this chapter.
(b) A guardian may file a petition for dissolution on behalf of an incapacitated person under IC 31-15-2 in the county where the guardian resides in accordance with IC 31-15-2-6.

IN Dissolution
IC 31-15-2-6 Residence; filing in county of guardian's residence
My interp: ^ applies only if Gdn is resident of IN.
Nice work, yet again, @al66pine !!!

Doesn't Andy live in IN? Perhaps, he needed to request time off from work and wanted to get a reasonably price ticket.

Plus, he might be organizing the search with police. I sure hope that he is and that lots of volunteers show up.

I can imagine that it takes a fair amount of organizing, especially, if you are trying to handle everything from another state.

This is what Barry should be doing instead of competing in push-up contests.

Yes, don't complain Barry, your total self absorption is causing the focus on you.
Do Salidan's really hang out with him now?
Commiserating about the terrible thing he went through?

not only do they (most likely) hang out with him, this guy has an army of supporters on all social media platforms, staunchly defending him, and victim-blaming his missing wife and her family. it's truly unlike anything i've ever witnessed before in a missing persons case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc