Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like one of the MSM articles early mentioned that LE had used "two kinds of dogs" to search the area in the weeks following Suzanne's disappearance. What kinds of dogs exist for searches apart from:

1. Arson dogs
2. Cadaver dogs
3. Drug dogs

And how do they overlap (if at all?)
I think bloodhounds - the dogs that search for live people as opposed to cadavers. I think they had this kind (tracking dogs) and cadaver dogs. I will see if I can find a link in the media thread.

Chaffee County Sheriff Updates Search For Suzanne Morphew, Encourages Tips From Public Search dogs

I feel like one of the MSM articles early mentioned that LE had used "two kinds of dogs" to search the area in the weeks following Suzanne's disappearance. What kinds of dogs exist for searches apart from:

1. Arson dogs
2. Cadaver dogs
3. Drug dogs

Missing person dogs (think bloodhounds looking for live people -- lost kids, escaped prisoners). They follow scents in the air.

I've been reading a fascinating book, "Cold Vanish," about people who have disappeared in national parks. They mention a few different types of dogs and what they do.

Last edited:
If I understand the statues right it seems like he has to update the courts with the financial situation on a scheduled basis so I wouldnt think BM would be able to do anything too outlandish. Do you have any experience with indiana courts in this area?

Not specifically with guardianships but with similar matters, yes. The court will act in an overwatch capacity to ensure that nothing goes awry.

Regardless of AM's statement along the line that BM was a great hunter, I don't believe it. Certainty BM likes to have people believe that he is and perhaps he thinks that he is. A legend in his own mind. Im sticking to my opinion that he's not. He doesn't seem to have the patience that would require. I think he's paid good money to operations that tweek his ego and make sure that he gets a kill. I find that sort of hunter disgusting.
The whole roadkill antler story is weird. I could see him salvaging antlers to add to his collection. He could have been baiting preditors or he could just be really dumb. I wonder what LE made of meaty antlers laying around. Moo

Couldn't agree more. Did AM ever go hunting with BM, so as to observe his great hunter techniques? What were they hunting in Indiana? Presumably deer, during the brief gun hunting season. Are there big tracks of mountains and forests in Indiana, wherein the deer must be tracked? I'm seeing Indiana hunters talk about going through "fields" not "forests."

As someone else said, obtaining a rack of antlers from road kill is definitely a form of trophy hunting that many would not partake in. Hacking off part of the skull to get the antlers is, IME, not typical.

I wonder where this road kill took place and whether LE have been able to figure that part out.

I bet they asked him.

1. Arson dogs
2. Cadaver dogs
3. Drug dogs

Sniffer dogs. And there are a couple of kinds of those, I believe. Sniffer dogs can track by scent in the air or on the ground. Presumably, they are tracking the scent of a living person - not sure how valuable that would have been at any point in this case. I suppose they could use BM's scent to see where, in and around his property, he goes often. If I were one of SM's family members, I'd want to do that, and even if nothing was found, I'd have a different view of the case.

Suzanne either is or isn't near her home.

Not specifically with guardianships but with similar matters, yes. The court will act in an overwatch capacity to ensure that nothing goes awry.
thank you for confirming, i fell better knowing hes been watched. its not the ideal outcome but its not the wild west either. Plus if any evidence comes to light about BM's involvement with SMs disappearance, her parents can always petition the court to have him removed... so I mean at least its not permanent

I understand that he probably won't be able to turn all the assets into cash and run off to Brazil, but really, what beyond that would be actionable? I'm sure he could turn most of the assets into cash, because he needs to support the girls and himself cuz he's not getting many jobs. He could buy another smaller house somewhere else in pursuit of making a living (Denver, for example). Nobody's gonna say boo to him for going out to dinner every night, or buying a truck or equipment for work, or entertaining a young woman at a bar, or . . . heck, he can pretty much do what he wants. I doubt the court will be asking for grocery receipts.

Something's been jawing on my brain.

BM told TD that a 200-mile radius and all the mountains had been searched but then he added something

Paraphrasing....

...of course things can get missed....

What things? Why would he say that? New things recently added? Why would he diminish his own efforts? Unless he believes there's more to be found...

He tells TD to search. Not for his wife. Not for a mountain lion. Not for random people popping up suspiciously close to the bike scene. But to look for evidence. Take pictures, don't touch.

Hmmmmm

What did he expect TD to find?

JMO

I have always believed BM provided more "items" to be found. In the TD video he says "They covered up the....They let cars drive here destroying evidence". Covered up what???

Brother of missing woman Suzanne Morphew calls for an extensive search in Colorado next month

Andy hopes to gather volunteers from Indiana, Colorado and everywhere in between and said he’s appealing to anyone who can help by boat, 4-wheel-drive or on foot.

Suzanne was reported missing by a neighbor on May 10 after her daughters, who were away on a camping trip, couldn’t reach her. According to Andy, Suzanne’s husband Barry said he left their house around 5 a.m. and went to a landscaping job. Andy says Barry told him that Suzanne left for a bike ride that morning. Andy told Dateline his sister’s bike was recovered from a bridge near her home later that same day.

BBM
Wait, we're back to the bike-on-the-bridge? Is AM actively disputing BM again or does he just have bad info.? Combined with the Colorado Springs story AM told different narratives are starting to emerge. IMO

Last edited:
Just need to affirm that leaving antlers up against a house is not unusual for hunters in Alabama. In fact, it's pretty common during deer season.

Not saying that it was usual for BM to leave antlers against a house or in the yard but just saying that many hunters do it, especially those whose identity is very rooted in being outdoorsman.

The question for me is whether BM had ever done this before--whether it was normal behavior for him?

i beg to differ. i grew up in the middle of the woods in the deep south, surrounded by a hunting family, my whole life, and one rule of thumb is this: you do NOT leave animal remains of any kind anywhere near your house. even if you take out the fact that wild animals will come too close, the smell and decomp process is pretty gross. so, nope. that's just not true. we don't even throw food- garbage (like shrimp or crawfish shells) in our garbage cans with lids if they aren't going to be taken away very soon thereafter.

Not all the time IMO - we had a guardianship where the Ward was judged incapacitated, his court appointed lawyer made a new will for him DURING the guardianship proceedings which cut out the beneficiaries in his existing will which was done when he was perfectly fine - and named a new beneficiary that was the Ward's lawyer's client. then the Ward died. new beneficiary benefited from new will, ward's lawyer handled the probate. We intervened, and got the new will thrown out (how can an incapacitated person sign a new will?) - so the court may not always provide the oversight one should expect IMO. This case? IMO a missing person should not be so quickly declared incapacitated but the law allows it. a lesson to spouses who may or may not be having issues in their marriage - get your financial affairs in order. then confront the spouse.... I'm not saying that is what happened here of course.
JMO

i beg to differ. i grew up in the middle of the woods in the deep south, surrounded by a hunting family, my whole life, and one rule of thumb is this: you do NOT leave animal remains of any kind anywhere near your house. even if you take out the fact that wild animals will come too close, the smell and decomp process is pretty gross. so, nope. that's just not true. we don't even throw food- garbage (like shrimp or crawfish shells) in our garbage cans with lids if they aren't going to be taken away very soon thereafter.

Not going to argue about this--we see these antlers at friends;' houses often, especially those who live in the woods. My kids have asked about it and then had to sit and listen to long monologues about the hunting life by friends. Most people don't leave them there for a year--they put them there during the season. I think people are different and every day I live on this planet reaffirms that belief. People do different things--and what is normal for one family is not normal for another.

So the question is: what was normal for BM? And what was different--what stood out as something he would never usually do but for some reason did? (Whether it was picking up roadkill trophy or leaving it against the house?)

Not all the time IMO - we had a guardianship where the Ward was judged incapacitated, his court appointed lawyer made a new will for him DURING the guardianship proceedings which cut out the beneficiaries in his existing will which was done when he was perfectly fine - and named a new beneficiary that was the Ward's lawyer's client. then the Ward died. new beneficiary benefited from new will, ward's lawyer handled the probate. We intervened, and got the new will thrown out (how can an incapacitated person sign a new will?) - so the court may not always provide the oversight one should expect IMO. This case? IMO a missing person should not be so quickly declared incapacitated but the law allows it. a lesson to spouses who may or may not be having issues in their marriage - get your financial affairs in order. then confront the spouse.... I'm not saying that is what happened here of course.
JMO

Well, a guardianship isn't a traditional "adversarial" legal proceeding, so a judicial officer is supposed to provide some sort of oversight. As you noted, it doesn't always happen. Having appeared before Judge Casati, though, I don't have any concerns with regard to oversight.

Not going to argue about this--we see these antlers at friends;' houses often, especially those who live in the woods. My kids have asked about it and then had to sit and listen to long monologues about the hunting life by friends. Most people don't leave them there for a year--they put them there during the season. I think people are different and every day I live on this planet reaffirms that belief. People do different things--and what is normal for one family is not normal for another.

So the question is: what was normal for BM? And what was different--what stood out as something he would never usually do but for some reason did? (Whether it was picking up roadkill trophy or leaving it against the house?)
God I love a good no nonsense judge, Man I miss court everyone keep your fingers crossed everything opens back up here soon

Well, a guardianship isn't a traditional "adversarial" legal proceeding, so a judicial officer is supposed to provide some sort of oversight. As you noted, it doesn't always happen. Having appeared before Judge Casati, though, I don't have any concerns with regard to oversight.
good to know about this Judge - wish we could see the petition for guardianship and the inventory and what he claimed about not being able to locate her.
jMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members