Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Barry have been setting this coworker up?
Well, if Barry killed Suzanne, it was before he called the employee to come to the hotel. So most people can put 2 and 2 together....what if my friend called me to get me to a possible crime scene...who DID leave the chlorine smell, ask the police?

If Barry wasn't responible, then why were there no tools ready to go, if Barry wasn't responsible why wouldn't he have kept communicating with the guy....

Well yeah, I'd have high tailed it to the cops if my buddy/employer left me hanging like that!

What did he do all day Sunday?

What did his phone do all day?

We know it was active in the morning (ordering JP to Bloomfield) and active in the afternoon, communicating with the neighbor. Or at least that's what he's said.

Sparkly clean tools tell a story, too.

JMO

No real alibi, knew too much about a bike ride that would've happened in his absence, easy to see why LE was all over him, Day 1.

JMO
Not to mention the fingers pointing every which way (it was a mountain lion, it was a stranger-abductor, it was a hit and run driver, it was someone she knew, it might have been a disgruntled former employee...).

It's like trying to get directions from the scarecrow on the way to Oz.

I guess I might be the only real cheapskate on here, but that doesn't look like a cheap hotel. At first I assumed Motel 6!

So is that hotel in real close to Denver?

Agree. It's a 'budget' chain that is at the high end of my budget, but I certainly wouldn't refer to it as 'cheap', particularly the way the media is using the phrase 'cheap hotel' to hint at a sleazy joint.

I will say this...I have been outside hiking all day and checked into a room like this and the smell of cleaning materials was overpowering. It's actually one of the main reasons I prefer camping or KOA cabins. Especially after being outside, the cleaners they lavish on those rooms can be really outrageous.

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS & SUITES DENVER NORTHWEST BROOMFIELD
11401 Via Varra, Broomfield, CO, 80020, US
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Broomfield provides easy access to Denver, the Mile-High City, and beautiful Boulder, home of the University of Colorado. Our conveniently located Broomfield hotel is minutes from major corporations, a variety of restaurants, and some of the best shopping at the Flatiron Crossing Mall. Our modern, sophisticated design offers 100% non-smoking accommodations and amenities such as spacious guestrooms and suites with luxurious bedding, deluxe hot breakfast, 24 hour fitness area, indoor swimming pool and spa, and a business center complete with printer. Enjoy our signature coffee all day long, or stop by our Suite Shop to curb the late night snack cravings. Whether visiting for business or pleasure, your stay at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Denver Northwest Broomfield will be one to remember.

So... BM's worker JP claims he was "ordered" to Denver that morning (Sunday morning) but didn't see BM because by the time he (JP) got there Sunday evenning he'd (BM) already left due to a "family emergency". The co-worker assumes BM took a shower because: towels all over the floor.

I'd love to know the time stamps of:

1. the first text/call from one of the M daughters about not being able to get ahold of mom
2. the first text/call from BM's phone where he alleges he reached out to say happy Mother's Day and got no response
3. the first text/call BM made to his worker (that morning, according to the worker) ordering him to Denver (to an urgent job, at a chlorine stinky motel room, with BM's personal mail scattered, towels on the floor and NO tools to do this alleged urgent job)
4. the exact time stamp of the message where BM told JP there was a "family emergency"
5. the exact time BM and the neighbor lady were in contact, the first time.

It's rather curious he's ordering a worker to Denver that morning to do this urgent job (without tools), that allegedly wasn't even supposed to start until the next day.

Yep, I think BM was trying to use this worker as an alibi, and I also think he's already forgetting the little details of the lies he's already told.

jmo

Maybe? Is JP the employee BM told LE & Andy about? You know the employee that lives in Salida and BM told to stay away from his family?

It would make sense to point a finger and disparage someone that had the kind of information that JP had. Particularly if BM didn't know at that point, JP had spoke to LE and handed over the mail.

This is heating up ... bottom of the ninth for reelz.
I wondered the SAME thing!! Plus the employee who he badmouthed was supposedly responsible for the bad wall job in the first place, that BM was supposedly there to fix. Lol..what a way to get back at the guy. If he doesn't die of industrial strength chlorine then leave him there twiddling his toes while a women is possibly murdered.

I guess I might be the only real cheapskate on here, but that doesn't look like a cheap hotel. At first I assumed Motel 6!

That’s cheap by Broomfield standards. Broomfield is about half way between Denver and Boulder. It’s a town where everything seems less than 10 years old, there are a ton of companies that have offices there (think lots of office parks) and it’s a business traveler type of place. Given that everything there was built fairly recently and it’s mostly big national chains, I bet there is a ton of security footage. It will be interesting if BM is recorded using a business dumpster.

On a completely unrelated note, if the hotel smelled that strongly of cleaning supplies, imagine how strong the scent was in the house when LE entered on 5/10.

Questions:

• Did Barry take the older Range Rover (without GPS)?
  • Did he have his phone off on the evening of May 9 (and this was known very early to LE)?
  • Why did he go all the way to Denver? (It sounds like maybe there was a job in Broomfield)
  • Was he mostly cleaning up himself and any tools used in the murder?
  • Why did he call the co-worker to the hotel????
  • Why didn't he ventilate the hotel room?
Assumptions:

BM put the body somewhere between the Morphew home and Denver. Something induced him to clean up with bleach - he must have been worried about evidence/odors on his own person.

All along, I've thought BM was the type of empty person who can barely function on his own, and surrounds himself with "mates," (volunteer firemen, gym rats/buddies, subcontractors/coworkers) and is known by them as a really good guy. While he's with them, he behaves according to their social norms.

The taking of the mail to Denver is odd. Why grab the mail at all? What did BM think was in it? Or was he mostly panicking (or manic) and not thinking straight at all? To me, it sounds like a man who is panicked (and needed to hear the sound of a buddy's voice and maybe planned to spend time with the buddy on Sunday).

When the girls alert BM that Suzanne isn't answering her phone, he knows the jig is up.

My heart goes out to the girls today. I hope that Suzanne's relatives do something legally in Indiana to bar BM from stealing the girls' inheritance and using it for his defense fund - but I'm not optimistic at all. Too bad Indiana has such a casual attitude towards a missing woman's property (or that no one alerted the court of that).

RBBM

I have visions of the no-tell motel type of place I used to stay in when I was in my 20s going down the Jersey Shore that was like $9.99 a night. Then I saw the picture and thought, Oh, Holiday Inn Express. Not terrible and skanky, clean and functional.

Last edited:
Another intriguing question: How plentiful was bleach in CO then? Because here in the UK, you'd be hard pressed to find a bottle of bleach in that time frame. Everyone was loading up on disinfectant cleaners. Any kind of disinfectant.

Would his hardscaping use bleach for any reason? Like rinsing the rocks or something? I know nothing about that stuff, obviously. It also sounds heinously bad for the environment.
Personally I was stockpiled for cleaning as I watched China in January and I clean. Bleach was hard to come by but they may have had extra in the house?Thats exactly why I thought spa chlorine. But chlorine can burn you as quick as you blink your eyes. Thinking back to that TD report, did he say BM was red?

I'm having a hard time with the latest articles. DM began its articles saying that Barry "spent the night" at the hotel but doesn't corroborate this in any way. Everything that BM's employee reported on could have happened on Sunday after BM left Salida and drove to Broomfield. Right? I suppose they could have checked with the hotel desk, but then why not say that? If you're going to have that in your title, you need to back it up by evidence. Yeah, I know it's DM and not journalism, but a lot of assumptions are being made based on this article's headline. Am I missing something?

And this DM info was just repeated by Crime Online who gave the date of SM's disappearence as May 11 and stated that was Mother's Day. Get a proof reader, please!

I wonder if the noise at 11:30pm at the Salida job site was actually equipment/bobcat being returned to the site after being driven far away that Saturday to be used in disposing of a body. Then the equipment is basically sitting at that site all day Sunday when SM disappears, so it couldn’t have been used on Sunday in getting ride of her.

Maybe? Is JP the employee BM told LE & Andy about? You know the employee that lives in Salida and BM told to stay away from his family?

It would make sense to point a finger and disparage someone that had the kind of information that JP had. Particularly if BM didn't know at that point, JP had spoke to LE and handed over the mail.

This is heating up ... bottom of the ninth for reelz.

So perhaps BM invites JP to Denver in order to make sure someone else's DNA/prints are all over the hotel room, in case any evidence is found there. The only evidence that could link the room to Suzanne would be Suzanne's DNA, so I assume that BM thought he had blood or other fluids on himself/clothing when he went to Denver. Presumably, he took a change of clothes and destroyed the clothes he wore during the crime.

But he knew his own body could still have DNA on it (and his clothing), so he thought he was erasing that evidence. And then, he wanted to implicate JP? Because it's really weird to have JP go up to that hotel room and just sit there for 2 days.

The mail thing is weird. I could see if he grabbed it out of the mailbox or his PO box, and stashed it in his truck, but why take it into the hotel room and then leave it? If he wanted to toss it (that does make bills go away, doesn't it?) why not just find a dumpster on his way? Why leave it laying around?
Per the DM, there were more than one letters/docs from Insurance co.s or one Ins co.
I don't think they were from the home mailbox.

I'm having a hard time with the latest articles. DM began its articles saying that Barry "spent the night" at the hotel but doesn't corroborate this in any way. Everything that BM's employee reported on could have happened on Sunday after BM left Salida and drove to Broomfield. Right? I suppose they could have checked with the hotel desk, but then why not say that? If you're going to have that in your title, you need to back it up by evidence. Yeah, I know it's DM and not journalism, but a lot of assumptions are being made based on this article's headline. Am I missing something?

And this DM info was just repeated by Crime Online who gave the date of SM's disappearence as May 11 and stated that was Mother's Day. Get a proof reader, please!

It sure sounds like they talked to the hotel - they confirmed that the hotel doesn't use bleach, as I read it.

When im thinking about it. Isn't it a super weird move? To first check in a hotel and in between go by their house and kill Suzanne and then going back? This is so easy to track. Jmo
That's exactly what Jason Young did to kill his wife, Michelle. He thought investigators would think he couldn't possibly have made it back home and then back to the hotel before being LATE (after leaving the night before so he wouldn't be) to an appt. The investigators knew it but it did buy him at least 3 "free" years before his arrest as well as a hung jury on the first trial. Second trial, GUILTY of 1st degree murder of his wife and unborn son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member