Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We know BM won't be contacting TES. What if AM asked the sheriff about it? I sure would love to see them involved.

I have been very impressed with @Profiling Evil and I'm sure I will continue to watch them, but I too was uncomfortable with the calling out of the daughter. She may be an adult in age, but she's very young and doubtful she has anything to do with the gimme fund other than her name. Certainly no influence.

MOO

Can a state licensed contractor have a felony record in the state of CO? ie I wonder if he was really a sub. It can be looked up tho under the Secretary of State page.
How did Jeff and BM know each other?
Someone said they worked on a previous job together, so I assume JP picked up piece work in the Salida area, JMO.

A Separate Thread?

Is having a separate thread just for members' from-the-field reports be feasible? Desirable?
Just a thought, to keep those posts concentrated.
I think it’ll work with this one. They’ll obviously be busy during the day, with little to no time to post. They can share photos and details as the day wraps.

Maybe a Twitter hashtag for those who use Twitter. Something like #SearchForSuzanne

Andy had previously stated that LE would assist in organizing the search in a grid-like pattern based off of some form of data.

It was also mentioned on Court TV that BM would NOT be participating in the search. I wonder who came to that decision.
IMO, it's never a good idea to have close family searching for a loved one. As a matter of fact, can you imagine what would happen if BM actually found Suzanne's remains at this point :eek:

another small but important detail:
this wasn't a new job, it was a re-do of an original job done badly.
therefore there's probably NO WORK ORDER.
The company wouldn't know when BM planned to repair the old work. He could get it done whenever (in BM's mind).
I believe BM is alluding to having left his tools in the hotel room and now that they're missing- that that felon he hired stole them.
See where this is going?

My guess is BM booked the room for JP sometime on Saturday. After he did the deed.
Then called the 3 workers to line them up for
showing up on Sunday at hotel.

IMO, BM is the perfect candidate for RTD and CDOT public works small roster. This is an on-call roster of experienced contractors that perform the type of work BM does --landscape, retaining wall, etc., jobs under $250k. There are millions of dollars of infrastructure work happening in Denver-Metro right now keeping BM busy (and a couple of employees quiet, loyal to their jobs).

Roster work would also provide BM flexibility he prefers -- work on his own schedule. I think the deficient work may have been on his agenda because he may have a chargeback right now until this work repaired (i.e., RTD withholding payment from current work until this old job corrected).

MOO

IIRC at the beginning of the NG podcast yesterday, JP was described as a subcontractor that Barry had hired for the job. Later it morphed, by Barry, into being no more than a hired hand he had given help to out of the kindness of his heart or something.
Thank you. I would need to hear that verified by Lauren, as NG gets it wrong as often as the DM, JMO.

No disrespect intended to JP, but I find it unlikely he is licensed. Likely a talented block layer and hard worker.

He's a good fit with a particular personality disorder characterized by narcissism, fragile ego, sociopathy and I think we can add psychopathy here.
In my past and recent life I was involved with sadistic rapists, murderers, serious serial offenders, and pedophiles (both those who did or didn't murder their victims). In my personal life, my narcissism-detecting antennae play a huge role in who I choose to be friends with. One of my close girlfriends is married to a raging narcissist. She is too in love with him to see it. I can hardly bear to be in the same room as him, but I love my friend and she comes first, so I tolerate him without making any issue of it.
I want to be there for my girlfriend when everything falls apart, and it will- spectacularly.

Those of us standing on the periphery often see the bigger picture and the warning signs, which I suspect is what happened with Suzanne and her family. She loved BM and was likely blind to his more worrying traits, perhaps until very recently when things started to unravel.
It's impossible to reconcile how someone seemingly so devoted to her family, beloved by many others, and with a caring and thoughtful approach towards all could meet with such a vile end.
But be assured, BM will have already justified in his own mind the need for him to silence his wife forever. He may never admit it to anyone in confidence (we'll not hear why because that justification doesn't exist in the real world) but it's already there in his mind. He's defiant, and I find that particularly alarming, for reasons I don't want to get into here.
If what we are seeing in public is typical of his behavior in private then I am concerned about what he might be capable of. It's not uncommon for narcissists who have committed heinous crimes to take their own lives rather than face a lifetime in jail. I've known this happen after all their avenues (e.g. appeals) have been exhausted. They prefer to take their secrets to the grave, rather than give grieving family and friends any kind of explanation or genuine show of remorse. It's their final act of selfishness and is intended as such.
MOO
May I ask what you do for a living? I absolutely love your posts and insight. (Former psych rn here)

IMO, BM is the perfect candidate for RTD and CDOT public works small roster. This is an on-call roster of experienced contractors that perform the type of work BM does --landscape, retaining wall, etc., jobs under $250k. There are millions of dollars of infrastructure work happening in Denver-Metro right now keeping BM busy (and a couple of employees quiet, loyal to their jobs).

Roster work would also provide BM flexibility he prefers -- work on his own schedule. I think the deficient work may have been on his agenda because he may have a chargeback right now until this work repaired (i.e., RTD withholding payment from current work until this old job corrected).

MOO

Do we know the name of the company/LLC that Barry is operating under? I’ve seen the <modsnip> but was just wondering if there is an actual trail of his business, especially for the work on the wall. It appeared that the 2 workers worked for that business but I am just trying to dig a little deeper.

Last edited by a moderator:

I just rewatched Lauren's broadcast from last night. BM is really seething. She strategically provides JP's report of chlorine, then BM's furious rebuttal, then Andy's report of a smell of bleach at the home and missing coolers. Hearing BM's voice was enlightening. At some point I expected him to scream, are you calling me a liar!?!? Moo

It was kind of weird how they made it sound like some seedy roach motel in the DM article. Holida Inn Express is pretty standard decent hotel as far as I'm concerned.
I guess reporters from the Daily Mail are more accustomed to staying in places like the Four Seasons Hotel and the Ritz-Carlton. Must be nice.

Agreed. Not to mention, who drives up to a job at 5 am (on Mother's Day, of all days) to 'set up' a job that's only three hours away? And then we find out he apparently didn't "set up" anything, other than getting the hotel rooms (which one would think would be the last item on the list of things to do, knowing the crew isn't coming until the evening).
I think the timing of BMs conversation on Saturday with JP will be crucial to helping determine if this was premeditated or not. If BM talked with JP at a time when we know SM was alive, I think that points to premeditation. If BM talked with JP after SM's abrupt end to her conversation, then maybe this was an alibi-on-the-fly attempt. BM stated this had been planned "for months", is he painting himself into a corner re: premediation?? JMO, MOO

Maybe it's because I don't celebrate Mother's Day (mom's deceased, daughter married a Jehovah Witness) but I think way too much emphasis has been put on Barry doing a job on MD.

Self employed people working in a trade that's dependent on weather don't always get weekends and statutory holidays off like Victoria Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. They are much more likely to take time off in the fall and winter months because outdoor jobs slow to a trickle. They make hay when the sun shines.

Did BM secure the hotel room for Saturday night, too?
Was that established? Maybe that conversation BM had with SM about leaving at 5 am was factual but maybe it took place on Friday rather than Saturday. According to JP he met BM in Salida on Saturday but I don't know whether that was when BM offered him a job or whether he'd called him about it previously. If he called what was the point of meeting up with him in Salida?

The timelines are still very murky. I wish we had better info regarding the stay in the hotel; when it was reserved and for how many and how long.

New to this discussion and not sure if this has been said or if it's even relevant.

What kind of business owner stays in the same room as an employee or even anyone they are on a project with?

I have worked in my field since 1997 and have owned a (small) company since 2005. Never, not once, have I shared a room with a boss or employee or colleague or subcontractor. I'm sure that does happen, but in this case, why on earth would BM be sharing an inexpensive room with this guy.

No agenda here, just a thought.
IMO, BM had no intention of sharing a room with his subcontractor. He knew that he would be gone before Jeff arrived.

I wonder how many wet towels JP is talking about? Hopefully Lauren can clarify this in a future report.

If BM did shower and left wet towels laying around, I would think the average man would use no more than 2 towels at the most. However, if there were multiple wet towels upwards of 4-10 laying around, then it makes you wonder why so many IMO.

I wonder how many wet towels JP is talking about? Hopefully Lauren can clarify this in a future report.

If BM did shower and left wet towels laying around, I would think the average man would use no more than 2 towels at the most. However, if there were multiple wet towels upwards of 4-10 laying around, then it makes you wonder why so many IMO.
Maybe he put towels on the bed so the bed wouldn’t get wet? :oops:

I wonder if JP worked for a common denominator.... was actually working on the Salida property, under a different contractor. Reasonable place to find him....

Whatever work he would've been doing, BM may have needed him off on a snipe hunt so BM could freely undo and redo JP's work, under cover of night. I'm back to looking at what passed inspection on Friday/ Saturday, was awaiting the next step for Monday, or what failed.

The timing of the Saturday conversation between BM and JP and the location of it will be prosecution gold.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member