Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sibling who is in construction and his wife works for local government, clerical position. They were clueless about the term or what a POA was used for, they thought it was only something "old' people did/needed. They aren't stupid people, I get that, they just didn't ever think about it or have the need. Because of my business experience over the years, I brought up the subject, when I thought it would be useful for them. I do think most of my siblings now have a POA with their spouses.

Suzanne and Barry together were much more business savvy than most couples, first from her illness alone there was a need, you would have to be considering these things from day one. (The what if's, ) then she had the foundation, someone savvy helped set that up/got it rolling, and he his own business for 20+ years, no doubt an attorney helped set that up, surely they had knowledge of those basic instruments. Someone who inherited a half a million a few years back had to know some basic financial survival tools.

I can't help it but to me it's beyond telling that Barry didn't even have a 'limited" POA to complete the Indiana transaction considering her cancer had reoccurred in that timeframe.

I don't know if people necessarily know how to estate plan, or get POA's, etc. So many family dynamics involved. I have cousins who have no clue what it means, and others that certainly do. I was very late in helping my parents manage their own affairs, because even though they were in their 70's, it seemed premature to even talk about it (she lived to be 86 and she was very much the kind of person who wanted...plans, POA's; my dad didn't want anything to do with it; people differ).

I don't know that Suzanne was business savvy. Maybe. All of the businesses are in BM's name and I'm thinking that even the Foundation was a BM-thing.

What evidence do we have that Suzanne is business savvy? We hear that Barry was "in control" and we see that all of the income-producing entities were in his name.

I realize that it's tempting to think Suzanne was a mutual partner in their businesses, but personally, I think she had her hands full dealing with BM as a husband - and it was only in a common sense, tangential way that she was involved in their "business." Her "business" may have been raising two healthy, happy daughters and managing BM and his escapades (but not in the business sense). I wouldn't be surprised if she knew fairly little about family finances/business until recently.

IMO.

It's long been an inside joke among family and friends that dad would not allow his kids to leave for University without two things: signing a POA and knowing how to change a tire. In the days of a global pandemic, POA's are for everybody, every age. In several states, the POA does not even have to be witnessed or notarized.
Us too although I did draw the line at the tire changing since our roadside insurance is less than $3 a month and mine seem to habitually lock their keys in their cars - for me the health care surrogate was most important when they went to college - I’m already on all their bank accounts - but I will probably do DPOAs as a college graduation gift - aren’t I nice ? All kidding aside people really don’t know how bad it can be should their loved one become unable to act - I take too many calls from adult children who call about their parent being diagnosed with dementia or worse - it’s too late
JMO

Why would Barry buy a home with: "The 2 Environmental Hazards are high potential risk of radon and high exposure risk of UV Index." Especially since his wife is still being treated for cancer? Would this have been disclosed to Morphews before buying the home?

This is pretty standard for buying a home in the Colorado mtns. Radon because radon levels are high in Colorado and because we are higher in elevation UV is stronger. Houses in mtns need radon mitigation system which i am sure the Morphew home has. It unfortunately comes with living in this area.

I don't know if people necessarily know how to estate plan, or get POA's, etc. So many family dynamics involved. I have cousins who have no clue what it means, and others that certainly do. I was very late in helping my parents manage their own affairs, because even though they were in their 70's, it seemed premature to even talk about it (she lived to be 86 and she was very much the kind of person who wanted...plans, POA's; my dad didn't want anything to do with it; people differ).

I don't know that Suzanne was business savvy. Maybe. All of the businesses are in BM's name and I'm thinking that even the Foundation was a BM-thing.

What evidence do we have that Suzanne is business savvy? We hear that Barry was "in control" and we see that all of the income-producing entities were in his name.

I realize that it's tempting to think Suzanne was a mutual partner in their businesses, but personally, I think she had her hands full dealing with BM as a husband - and it was only in a common sense, tangential way that she was involved in their "business." Her "business" may have been raising two healthy, happy daughters and managing BM and his escapades (but not in the business sense). I wouldn't be surprised if she knew fairly little about family finances/business until recently.

IMO.
I would tend to agree in a lot of cases BUT I see the difference as a terminal illness at such a young age, that honestly changes you, it has everyone I have known who had that experience, several now. They were light years ahead of most of us in planning their future, as they didn't know how much time they had. Then you are dealing with someone obviously from money, that person being Suzanne. It brings a different perspective as to their financial savvy/choices, especially because she did have children. IMO

Last edited:
Per tonight's Choir Practice:

Gene is doing better. Had a relapse (the one Andy mentioned before, I think.) Andy is laying low.

"Some folks" (from out of state) made it up to Indiana recently, and hung out in a pizza joint (there are photos going around). Said person bought some oats/corn at the farm supply (for hunting, possibly), and a new white Ford truck. It is NOT Andy they are referring to.

Chris said, "Ya know, we might see something shakin' in a few weeks here."

Code 33 reference = emergency traffic only. Don't ever let the suspect get ahead of you in a tactical situation. You constantly watch your back, so you don't get thrown off. If you want to throw off the suspect, you constantly watch, and never give your location away. When cops pull you over, they are always worried about the hands. Hands take people's lives. There are 10 deadly sins in LE, and one of them is not watching the hands. The person who says Code 33 is the one with the radio. Switch channels if necessary, to keep the upper hand. (Good ole Cryptic Chris. LOL).

(Off topic: PE guys are beginning work on the Delphi case (btw, state police have asked them to pull back for a bit, but they will move forward soon)!! Thursday, Rebecca Zahau case will be discussed, and tomorrow they are on Court TV).

Starts at 1:35: 30.

Last edited:
It's long been an inside joke among family and friends that dad would not allow his kids to leave for University without two things: signing a POA and knowing how to change a tire. In the days of a global pandemic, POA's are for everybody, every age. In several states, the POA does not even have to be witnessed or notarized.

We only got ours (POA's) about a month ago...and I worked in law for 20 years (paralegal). My parents didn't get theirs until they were in their late 70's. I'm a college professor, and almost none of my colleagues have them (not legally minded, too busy with work, etc).

Middle class and working class parents do not, in general, require POA's of their offspring (source: years of teaching in public colleges) to go "off to" college (so many kids still live at home - so the group that sends their kids off to college is smaller every year).

While it would have been in BM's interest to get himself Suzanne's POA (which would be traditional and likely in many marriages), apparently she didn't give it to him.

I wonder why. Did they both know the advantages? Did she not trust him?

We only got ours (POA's) about a month ago...and I worked in law for 20 years (paralegal). My parents didn't get theirs until they were in their late 70's. I'm a college professor, and almost none of my colleagues have them (not legally minded, too busy with work, etc).

Middle class and working class parents do not, in general, require POA's of their offspring (source: years of teaching in public colleges) to go "off to" college (so many kids still live at home - so the group that sends their kids off to college is smaller every year).

While it would have been in BM's interest to get himself Suzanne's POA (which would be traditional and likely in many marriages), apparently she didn't give it to him.

Interesting isn’t it. People get hung up on Barry’s hand in the trash can but not having POAs for each other given their businesses and illness is a bigger red flag for me than 90 percent of the other alleged red flags that people have brought up.

It’s late at night for me, and I’m sleepy and sad that there will be no family Thanksgiving this year. Since I was born, all those years ago, I’ve never missed it in my mom”s house, although Mom is long gone. We children do it with her recipes and pots and pans, and it feels like childhood. Pandemic killed it. What will be the girls’ Thanksgiving be like? No Mom, all of life has changed. Going to be a tough one for the girls. Hope it’s the hardest for Barry. Hope it’s a day of reflection with his God.
I see my brothers at holidays and hospitals. We don’t call each other. We are not what I could call close. But we shared our childhood, our parents, we know more about each other and from whence we came.Just like Andy, my brother would hop on a plane to find me. But my brothers would have an incredibly difficult time staying away from Barry and not beating the snot out of him. They are “guys” who would feel less of themselves if they had not avenged their little sister.

^^rsbm
I think it's a valid question that all would like answered.

Public records provide that SM had a history of giving SM limited POA -- including making BM her agent for the sale of their former Indiana residence so I believe the use and value were understood.

I think it follows that if you cannot and will not give your spouse of nearly 30 years durable POA, you clearly do not want them to have authority over your assets, finances, and life-altering decisions.

For some, this decision may amount to a lack of trust whereas, for others, it may be where the principal recognizes the agent's limitations and believes they are easily manipulated. For the later, these are the same couples where the union works in harmony only because the agent receives an allowance, and limited power of attorney has worked perfectly. However, I mostly believe that for those unwilling to give their mate durable POA, it's based on a justifiable lack of trust. MOO

Last edited:
It’s late at night for me, and I’m sleepy and sad that there will be no family Thanksgiving this year. Since I was born, all those years ago, I’ve never missed it in my mom”s house, although Mom is long gone. We children do it with her recipes and pots and pans, and it feels like childhood. Pandemic killed it. What will be the girls’ Thanksgiving be like? No Mom, all of life has changed. Going to be a tough one for the girls. Hope it’s the hardest for Barry. Hope it’s a day of reflection with his God.
I see my brothers at holidays and hospitals. We don’t call each other. We are not what I could call close. But we shared our childhood, our parents, we know more about each other and from whence we came.Just like Andy, my brother would hop on a plane to find me. But my brothers would have an incredibly difficult time staying away from Barry and not beating the snot out of him. They are “guys” who would feel less of themselves if they had not avenged their little sister.
Well said @DizzyB and I believe the majority will relate to your words.

Per tonight's Choir Practice:
"Some folks" (from out of state) made it up to Indiana recently, and hung out in a pizza joint (there are photos going around). Said person bought some oats/corn at the farm supply (for hunting, possibly), and a new white Ford truck. It is NOT Andy they are referring to.

Chris said, "Ya know, we might see something shakin' in a few weeks here."

Code 33 reference = emergency traffic only. Don't ever let the suspect get ahead of you in a tactical situation. You constantly watch your back, so you don't get thrown off. If you want to throw off the suspect, you constantly watch, and never give your location away. When cops pull you over, they are always worried about the hands. Hands take people's lives. There are 10 deadly sins in LE, and one of them is not watching the hands. The person who says Code 33 is the one with the radio. Switch channels if necessary, to keep the upper hand. (Good ole Cryptic Chris. LOL).

(Off topic: PE guys are beginning work on the Delphi case (btw, state police have asked them to pull back for a bit, but they will move forward soon)!! Thursday, Rebecca Zahau case will be discussed, and tomorrow they are on Court TV).

Starts at 1:35: 30.

Just living his best life, blowing all the cash ...

See @MassGuy, Chris is on the same timetable ... countdown starts now :)

I do think BM disappeared SM.

And if LE says a cougar was not involved, a cougar was not involved.

But has anybody seen that video that a hiker in Provo, Utah posted of an encounter he had with a cougar in Slate Canyon on Saturday? The mountain lion stalked and lunged at him over and over again for six long minutes while he was hiking. Absolutely terrifying. Idk how to link (on my phone) to the version I saw, but it's gone viral. Whoa.

I would tend to agree in a lot of cases BUT I see the difference as a terminal illness at such a young age, that honestly changes you, it has everyone I have known who had that experience, several now. They were light years ahead of most of us in planning their future, as they didn't know how much time they had. Then you are dealing with someone obviously from money, that person being Suzanne. It brings a different perspective as to their financial savvy/choices, especially because she did have children. IMO

I dunno. I've known people who had terminal illnesses at a young age (and I myself had a serious illness at 19). Didn't turn us into forward-thinking estate planners. I just did mine, for the first time, after realizing that I had in fact survived, had kids and finally, had assets (a house, some other things.

If a family lives on credit or doesn't have assets free and clear (we know very little about the finances of this family), getting one's affairs in order isn't the same. Many Americans die with debt.

Suzanne came from a family with assets - did they have cash? Or did they own a business that provided salaries to various people? Did everyone have good healthcare? We don't know. They had an instagram lifestyle but sadly, that means little these days - at least to me.

My mom had cancer early - didn't change a thing about her estate planning (which almost didn't get done). My mom had four different kinds of cancer over 30 years - and never did estate planning until her 70's.

My good friend had MS - didn't do estate planning. Died at 34. Had intellectual property rights and other assets. Another - whose parents were quiet wealthy - died of congestive heart failure at 49, after 10 years of health issues. Got married, had a wonderful wedding and never did her estate planning.

I think it's odd to claim that people who have early serious illnesses are all forward thinking about estate planning. Two of my uncles (both smart men) died intestate (one of cancer, the other from diabetes). They both had 10X more property than I have today. What do you make of that? One of them learned he was severely ill (on dialysis) when he was 50 - not that old, right? Lived another 7 years without plans, even though his kids really wanted him to make them. IMO.

I think there are many groups of people out there and some of them just trust that things will work out once they're gone - and they don't want to think about it. Of the many people I've known who were seriously ill early in life, taking the Que Sera, Sera attitude was/is not uncommon.

In some (many) families, one person takes charge of all of this. That may be the case here and it might not have been Suzanne.

But has anybody seen that video that a hiker in Provo, Utah posted of an encounter he had with a cougar in Slate Canyon on Saturday? The mountain lion stalked and lunged at him over and over again for six long minutes while he was hiking. Absolutely terrifying. Idk how to link (on my phone) to the version I saw, but it's gone viral. Whoa.
Yup. I’m sure Barry is sending it to everyone he knows.

I guarantee you this though, as angry and aggressive as that cougar was, it couldn’t have thrown a bike and left no trace of her presence if she did decide to attack.

But yeah, that was a scary encounter for sure.

I was just thinking about this the other day. If I’m a young girl and I believe my mother was abducted from the road by some random stranger who just happened on her, then I have not only lost my mother but would live in constant fear this could happen to me too anywhere, at anytime.

This fear is something which will most likely influence the girls’ life since Suzanne’s disappearance and hopefully they get the help necessary to deal with this too.

In my eyes this adds an extra cruelty factor to this crime if BM did this to Suzanne because his daughters future life should be important to him. And at this moment I am on the opinion he did this to SM and he only cares about himself.

JMO
And it being Mother's Day weekend to boot, then they have THAT memory every Mother's Day. I can't imagine. Especially if they too some day become mothers.

It was a mother protecting her cubs, she wanted him to leave. If she wanted to hunt and kill him she would have quietly snuck up, not try to run him out of her territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helengably