Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A case in my area, which was heavily followed on WS (Jason Young, wife killer--case still on WS, so you can look it up), took 3 years and 1 month to get to an arrest.

Those who followed that case might remember that there was some evidence that tied the husband to his wife's killing, but the DA at the time waited and waited and waited. Why? Because the DA wanted to make sure a jury could be convinced B.A.R.D. that the charge of Murder 1 was proved by the state. And, there was more evidence to be uncovered over time.

That DA was very conservative in his approach, methodical, took as long as was needed, possibly even longer than needed, but it was his decision and wait and wait some more he did. That wife killer is in prison for life without parole, all filed appeals have been exhausted. Length of time between murder and conviction was almost 5.5 years.

I think she would tell as well. However, as bad as he seems to be, I don’t see BM using meth. He’s all about appearances, so I’d peg him as a steroid user. I think he’d convince himself he wasn’t using drugs, that steroids were a “supplement”. MOO
Speculation.
I agree with the steroid use. Imo. It is common for steroid abusers to consider them as suppliments. I don't think he would have kept it a deep secret, because he would think he was enhancing his health.

People around him would notice a change in his personality and level of agitation.
I think MG is savy enough to know and would have told LE all about it.

I wonder if he is still using steroids. If he's still winning pushup contests, I think he is.

Addiction is an equal opportunity destroyer and there is usually collateral damage.
Moo of course.

I agree with the possible steroid use. Over the years, Barry seems to bulk up and then slim down. At times, his arms look they are ready to bust out of his t-shirts, and in others, even in dress shirts, he looks like any run of the mill 40 something guy. I’ve seen many steroid users who believe that they are completely healthy because they eat well and work out. They have a disconnect with the drug and how it affects your body, organs, and brain.

My insomnia has once again made me a viewer of all of those true crime shows. I can’t even count how many detectives relate that they knew exactly who committed the crime, presented their evidence to the D.A., who said “bring me more”. They just continue to build the case until it is deemed ready for prosecution. I shake my head many nights at how overwhelming the evidence appears, yet they don’t charge. Sometimes for years. We know, Barry. You can point fingers all over the place, but everybody knows.

If Barry was involved in taking meth I'll be shocked.

IMO

Re: calling someone a "meth head".

I don't know if in BM-speak that actually means methamphetamine user, or if it's one of those things where it's a catch-all phrase, like some folks call ALL soda pop, "coke", no matter what kind of soda pop it is.

Maybe he calls any drug user (or anyone he assumes is a drug user) a "meth head"?

jmo

Respectfully, I don’t believe he is behaving like a traumatized husband. I understand everyone grieves in their own way. I know @lamlawlindy that you are a lawyer and perhaps you are right, we (the public) don’t see evidence based facts but I think LE has at least some hard evidence. I would like to know when behavior becomes evidence?
BMs Broomfield trip might be circumstantial but the chaos, timing, timeline, narrative are all suspect.
Although one might argue a grieving husband and circumstantial evidence, surely some of the events, behavior, and narrative create a cause for concern! There is a reason BM is at the center of all this. And a good one, IMO.

Yes, and a lot of the erratic behavior occurred before he would have known he was a “grieving husband”.
ETA for clarity.

If Barry was involved in taking meth I'll be shocked.

IMO

Really? Why? Because he was apparently religious?

Meth is everywhere. And Sheriff Spezze himself said in an interview that after his time fighting drugs in Denver, he thought maybe Salida would be different - but that the problems are the same.

Meth is used by people from all walks of life, including church people. Many people use it only occasionally (on the weekends) but some use it almost on the daily. Back in the days when cocaine was still prescribable (I'm that old), and in my first applied research project, I learned that surgeons used it. I also learned that some rock and mountain climbers used it (these men were also mostly surgeons, although one was in internal medicine).

It's very hard to tell some meth users apart from bipolar I's or certain other mental disorders. The very fact that meth users themselves make distinctions between regular users and "meth heads" (the ones who are so addicted that their lives go up in flames, they have the sores on their body, etc) is telling.

One former addict told me that to find meth (or heroin) in any town, you either stop by the local rehab and talk to the people in the waiting room or you find the churches where the addicts go (often after being in jail) and talk to them. When I researched in jails, the pastors who came by daily spent a lot of time with those who were in on drug charges (sentenced to 2 years) and it opened my eyes to certain churches and how they grew their congregations. It was in a study of one such church that I learned just how widespread meth use can be and how hard it was to tell who was using.

Fentanyl and oxycontin were not a thing back when I was doing that research, but I'm guessing it's the same. Most people I studied did not do both uppers and downers (in fact, I don't think I interviewed or hung out with any - I was actually 'living' with a woman who was using meth in order to study her life, anthropology-style). I had my own home of course, but I was over there every day and spent the night on several occasions. I also spent time with her friends and visited their houses as well (I was interested more in women and frankly rather scared to go hang out with the men - it was men who were distributing the meth in my case study).

I haven't seen enough of BM to even hazard a guess, but if he was hanging out with "meth heads," well then, perhaps he did know how effective it can be in getting needed work done when a person is tired.

Ranked in terms of relevance in this case going forward.

1) SM’s texting friend
2) MG
3) LS
4) AM
5) PE guys

JMO
I am going to go with JP because if he has worked with BM for a longtime he has heard plenty in regards to BM b——-g about SM, money, business etc. I think he would have a good read on BM’s personality and life style . 2. Would be texting with SM’s friend, that friend most likely would be privy to all happenings in SM’s life. 3. MG being a woman and BM being a alpha male, she knows things, she could turn out to be our KK to some degree in this case. To me those 3 together could sum up what has been going on at Puma Path.
IMO AM is a great brother but not as involved in SM personal life and understandably with the miles between them and little no phone communication. PE guys have helped AM bring SM to the forefront.
With their combined experience will be helpful until this case is solved. Obviously they know people who know people . Lots of experts brought to the table. I could switch 2 to 1 depending on what events unfold. Leaving all doors open . MOO I am saddened for SM because we have heard the rage in BM’s voice several times, IMO she heard it for years on a daily basis.

Like @Madeleine74 , I would also be shocked if BM was taking meth. My opinion doesn't have anything to do with him being religious. Not that outdoor folks or volunteer firefighters can't be meth users, they certainly can, I'm just not feeling it with BM.

I could see him drinking a ton of Rock Star's or Monsters throughout the day for energy.

IMO.

We don't know him personally & can't assume that he's selfish. Some of his actions may be characterized as selfish, but they can also be characterized as the actions of a grieving, traumatized husband.

As for angry: he's being accused by the internet of killing his wife! If he wasn't agry, I'd be suspicious.
I’ve never seen “a grieving, traumatized husband” behave this way.

His grief hasn’t stopped him from buying new vehicles, buying and selling property, hunting, or hitting up the gym.

When someone does literally the most selfish thing a human can possibly do, then I think it’s safe to assume they are selfish.

He’s put himself first, with Suzanne’s life on the line, and done nothing as far as getting the word out to find his (now) “kidnapped wife.”

Actually, “selfish” is probably the nicest thing I can say about him. He’s either the worst husband ever, or worse...

IMO, Barry may have considered looking for some meth at 4 am mothers day morning.
The pot occasionally calls the kettle black.
I'm referring of course to BM's assertion that his employees are all meth heads.
So why'd you hire them, BM ?
There must have been more capable employees in the world ?
Unless... they were decent workers, not addicts-- and BM wanted to cast shade on them to take the heat off of himself ??
Imo it was callous at best to point out JP's past to the world -- as in, look at what a terrible person this man is, while I'm a long-suffering, godly man who has done nothing wrong.
Imo.

Last edited:
I agree with the possible steroid use. Over the years, Barry seems to bulk up and then slim down. At times, his arms look they are ready to bust out of his t-shirts, and in others, even in dress shirts, he looks like any run of the mill 40 something guy. I’ve seen many steroid users who believe that they are completely healthy because they eat well and work out. They have a disconnect with the drug and how it affects your body, organs, and brain.

My insomnia has once again made me a viewer of all of those true crime shows. I can’t even count how many detectives relate that they knew exactly who committed the crime, presented their evidence to the D.A., who said “bring me more”. They just continue to build the case until it is deemed ready for prosecution. I shake my head many nights at how overwhelming the evidence appears, yet they don’t charge. Sometimes for years. We know, Barry. You can point fingers all over the place, but everybody knows.
Yeah, I agree with the steroid thing. If he is/was taking a substance, that would be it.

He is incredibly muscular for a man his age, and although it’s possible to do that without taking steroids, the muscle gain appears to be pretty dramatic.

In order to hold his own with younger volunteer firefighters, I do think it’s quite probable that he used steroids.

A known side effect of that, is emotional volatility. This might partially explain what happened to Suzanne.

Once again Ill mention my ex son in law meth addict who when straight uses exercise as a drug.

Ranked in terms of relevance in this case going forward.

1) SM’s texting friend
2) MG
3) LS
4) AM
5) PE guys

JMO

IMO

I really think collected data from various devices will likely rule in this case. As to your ranked players in this case.

1) SM's text friend will be important but not a smoking gun, I don't think.
2) MG - I think she's important because even BM puts her in his own timeline that weekend.
3) LS - this is an interesting one. There could be a shocker on what she might know. To be continued....
4) AM - SM's poor brother. I honestly don't think he has much to give LE. He could probably give LE his perspective on BM as an individual, his experience and observations on their marriage and of course anything SM shared with him - again, don't think he really has anything that will help.
5) Zero relevance. Probably succeeded in giving LE heartburn. ha

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members