Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I think of the dark web, I think of snuff films, swingers, and the list goes much darker.... imo

IMO, putting something like the dark web out there for interpretation, dangling a carrot is a little.....nevermind.

Drugs, weapons and vile sexual content are the first things that come to mind for me.
These are the top things most people associate the "dark web" with but to be honest they're certainly not the only things there. Not everything there is illegal but if you're looking for anonymity and to cover your tracks, it's the place to do business.

I do have to agree though, it's a carrot, and there will be some wild speculation.
Elsewhere.
Here, we wait for the facts & discuss those.

My guess is that the list of apps & sites from CCSO is what they know Suzanne is registered with. They don’t have her phone, so they need everyone who engaged with Suzanne to contact them. LE can put together a snapshot of how often she posted, messaged, her mood, changes in habits or phrasing, and when she went dark. If she communicated regularly and a timeline is created using her contacts’ side of the conversations, it can show that every single thing ceased as of a certain date and time. Maybe that conflicts with what was told to be when she was last seen.

It's impossible to accidentally stumble into the dark web - and they have no Help Desk, so I think you'll be fine :)

I can picture it quite realistically though.
We've all sleuthed this, that and the other connected to this case, so I assume the PE guys and their research crew has too.
Maybe one of them came across something that motivated them to go all onion on the dark web and look for specific things.
Maybe then they found things directly related to someone connected to this case.
I'm sure we've all found things too (on the normal web).

While the FBI doesn't need anyone to assist them in searches, they MIGHT need specific info that they may have not been previously aware of, to search in specific ways. Sort of like, knowing the right questions to ask.

jmo

I agree. Knowing the right questions to ask, as well, knowing where to look and what to look for, that's how breaks are made.

While LE are duty-bound to protect their investigation (for trial!), the Profiling Evil guys aren't! And IMO they're using their expertise and their platform to apply pressure!

Methinks they are intentionally putting someone(s) on notice -- your secrets are not so secret! Anyone pumping the same iron, now's a good time to come clean.

Mountains don't talk, but eventually people do.

JMO

MOO Absolutely.
MOO the CCSO is remote, dismissive of the public and too insulated from accountability.
Especially when compared with the The El Paso Sheriff Office, one county away, which was the best of class handling Gannon Stauch.
It will be interesting to play Monday Morning Quarterback when we know all the details in this case. I see the validity of the comparison point being made, but we may learn CCSO had a very good reason for playing their cards close to the vest.

Last edited:
I agree. The PE guys wouldn't have even brought up the dark web unless they found something there.

I also have renewed hope after the CCSO press release.
IMO, that was the point with the PE guys.

They wanted to put the Dark Web information out there, the comment about the FBI was simply part of the dialog. Suzanne's case is going to be a big reference point for PE going forward. They have already made comments about how they found or know certain things about the case. When it's solved, all their cryptic giveaways will be pointed out.

The combination of WhatsApp and the dark web (and probably Voxer) make me think about drugs/drug trafficking. I wonder if that is more on BM’s side as opposed to SM having these apps.

If you were to come forward with information, you’d definitely be concerned about self incrimination regarding selling or using drugs.

I always go back to:

-The former Sherriff of the neighboring county saying this case will be more than a husband/wife murder
-The various local comments about the hills hiding secrets and the general danger of this investigation
This thought might be way out there for those who have this case figured out. And I barely know how to surf the regular web, much less a darker web. Never want to go there.

But to go back to the hills hiding secrets or the sheriff in a neighboring county saying this is more than a husband/wife murder. I am thinking about MG saying Barry was at her residence at 4 AM or how he acted as if he “had the worst night of his life”.

Maybe SM was murdered as some type of payback and it absolutely was the worst night of his life because he was forced to witness it. Maybe he is too afraid to tell LE the truth. Maybe he knew he would be suspect number 1 since he can’t talk. Or maybe “they” abducted SM and the video he made was his way of pleading with them and that he would make good on “payment” of some form. I don’t know.
The simplest answer of course is that BM killed his wife.

But when the PE guys introduce the dark web and then we remember the statements made about the hills having secrets, it’s terrifying.

It seems the PE guys are always dropping little hints. I don’t like that. It’s a frightening world.

Emjjf5iXEAIJb2d

Lauren Scharf@LaurenScharfTV
Prayers for the Moorman family. Gene Moorman, Suzannes dad passed away this morning after a 7 month battle with cancer. #Justice4Suzanne

MOO Absolutely.
MOO the CCSO is remote, dismissive of the public and too insulated from accountability.
Especially when compared with the The El Paso Sheriff Office, one county away, which was the best of class handling Gannon Stauch.
I understand your frustration, @Boxer. However, in high profile cases, some folks mistake transparency for accountability and feel they have a right to know every aspect of an ongoing investigation. The press releases being released periodically by CCSO are addressing accountability. They give information about searches, tips, interviews, agencies involved etc. The fact that they are doing it in writing as opposed to in person seems irksome to you. Because of the distance from Salida to any major metropolitan area, in person press conferences would be barely covered, and frankly, a waste of time. When there is major breaking news in this case, I would expect to see a live press conference. The press isn’t going to drag themselves three hours to hear, “We are still working, we are still doing searches, we are still doing interviews”.
The Gannon Stauch case was a very different case in a town with a population of 668,000 people. The whole of Chaffee County has a population of only 20,000. The town of Maysville is 157 people and Salida has about 6700. The GS case was a horrific crime with a mountain of evidence and a very stupid perpetrator. You had a densely populated area with hundreds, maybe thousands, of video cameras. LS said and did many stupid things all in view of the public. Chaffee County is remote, rugged, and mountainous with many rivers, lakes, and streams. Most areas have no video surveillance systems.
Aside from the fact that the LE information is not being provided in a live press conference, why do you think El Paso county is so much better than Chaffee County in handling investigations? CCSO utilized the FBI, the CBI, have conducted numerous searches throughout the area utilizing SAR teams, divers, canines, and LEO’s on foot and atv, have conducted interviews in CO and IN, have obtained numerous warrants for physical and digital evidence and probably a lot more. I know this because CCSO has provided this information. If they refused to tell us what they are doing, I would be of the same mindset as you. @Boxer. Right now, I’m just not seeing a problem.
As far as transparency, I don’t think one of us here on WS wouldn’t like to get the inside dirt on any investigation. That’s not going to happen until we get a chance to read the AA. Patience, Grasshoppers.

Last edited:
Drugs, weapons and vile sexual content are the first things that come to mind for me.
These are the top things most people associate the "dark web" with but to be honest they're certainly not the only things there. Not everything there is illegal but if you're looking for anonymity and to cover your tracks, it's the place to do business.

I do have to agree though, it's a carrot, and there will be some wild speculation.
Elsewhere.
Here, we wait for the facts & discuss those.
Also, if they really did find evidence related to the case, why would they reveal that on a public platform?

What if it's information that LE already knew, but the perpetrator wasn't aware they had? Now if they question him about it, he will be prepared. He has time to come up with an explanation and they can't catch him in a lie when they ask him about it.

So if they did not have Suzanne's phone, messages she exchanged could not be retrieved from any of the providers LE listed on the press release?

I believe it boils down to if the provider keeps the messages on their server or not. All of the providers keep the meta data (ie - number that was messaged, number that did the messaging, date/time, length and number of messages etc...). The meta data can sometimes also include the location of the user at the time of the message and/or IP address.

From what I can tell, Voxer and Whatsapp do not keep the messages on their server, only the meta data.

Facebook keeps the messages on their server but I’m not sure about tools like Facebook messenger.

I’d imagine FaceTime is meta data only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member