Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like he made a little on the Puma Path sale but lost money on the Longhorn Ranch lot. I wonder why he bought that property in the first place.

I don't know what all this means, but it looks like he got the $500,000 back that Suzanne allegedly put into the Puma Path house.
He bought that Ranch in June 2020, and just sold it in Feb 2021? That is odd ...

MOO

My guess, he's leaving Colorado. The dream of retiring there is over. He/they were only there for a little over 2 years. I'm sure the feeling of the beautiful surroundings is no more. He's probably side eyed. The investigation goes on no matter where he resides. If SM is ever recovered, it doesn't matter where he lives, the ending is still the same, SM is not coming back. CO is a nightmare for the remaining Morhew family. IMO

My very first post in this case, although I’ve been with you all from the beginning hoping and praying for a breakthrough that will bring Suzanne home. I’ve just finished reading an article about retirement in third world countries. Please don’t tell me Barry is now able to just slip off to Mexico with his $1.6 million?
That’s where all this talk about ‘LE taking their time - getting it right - only getting one bite of the apple’ needs to be weighted against, ‘are we close enough to give it a shot, do we take our chances with what we got on him before he skips the country?’

True, but they would not know she was missing until after they looked for her and were unable to find her. They may have initially thought she would be found injured, somewhere nearby.

IIRC, it was BM's friend that showed up and began essentially telling the deputies on scene, how to do their jobs & handle the bike. For some reason, he was already seeing this as a scene that should be handled like crime scene, with proper evidence collection.

At the time, there was actually no reason to believe yet, that a crime had even occured, but that was GD attitude, according to MSM reports about him, at the scene. I do have to wonder if BM himself didn't plant that little bug in his ear, to cause him to think that way before he even got to the location. If BM's plan was to make it look like a crime happened, it'd make sense he would want the scene processed as a crime scene.

BM, Bashing the CCSO from the beginning:

"Investigators found Suzanne’s bike on a trail shortly after her disappearance, and Barry claims they did not properly document the discovery. ‘My buddy was there right after that, and he said they completely destroyed the evidence, and he tried to stop them, but they wouldn’t listen to him, saying,’ This isn’t CSI. ” “There is no evidence to the detectives because the sheriff has completely obliterated it.” Missing Colorado mother's husband Suzanne Morphew, 49, claims police 'destroyed evidence'

jmo

Bet a detective would get a real kick out that question :p

Little over two months and it will be a whole year since Suzanne went missing. Meanwhile it appears someone close to her is still free to roam about footloose and not a care in the world. Has the house sold yet, I haven't kept up with that detail? If not, I wonder how good he is at keeping it clean? Bet he has a great helper ...
I’m not so sure he doesn’t have a care in the world. There’s no rest for the wicked we’re told. :)

I can imagine being being a suspect in everyone’s eyes, even if plastered all over the internet, if I were innocent. Wouldn’t phase me. Why? Because I would also be doing all the right things to clear my name and be front and centre in trying to locate my missing loved one. I suspect it would be much different knowing you are guilty of the things being said about you. Can you imagine the jerk that killed James Faith reading here on WS when JF’s wife sent him the link. I mean, the WS sleuths nailed it! That fool murderer KNEW his freedom was about to come to an end. You gotta love that! I sincerely hope that is the case here. Just like James Faith, Suzanne deserves justice and I pray it may come soon. Someone wicked needs to be held accountable.

JMHO

He bought that Ranch in June 2020, and just sold it in Feb 2021? That is odd ...

MOO

And he’s going to get crushed on short term capital gains tax on that sale, which to me points to wanting to get the heck away from that property or CO in general.

So he has a loss on the sale and will owe 22% tax on the proceeds. You only do that if you absolutely need to free up the cash or just want to cut out and be done with the property.

My guess, he's leaving Colorado. The dream of retiring there is over. He/they were only there for a little over 2 years. I'm sure the feeling of the beautiful surroundings is no more. He's probably side eyed. The investigation goes on no matter where he resides. If SM is ever recovered, it doesn't matter where he lives, the ending is still the same, SM is not coming back. CO is a nightmare for the remaining Morhew family. IMO

it will be interesting to see if BM leaves CO and if he does, will more locals be interested in talking? Especially if he screwed over those locals in some capacity.

I don’t follow a ton of true crime but I’m curious for those that do; Is fight or flight something that applies to these investigations?

It seems like BM was in fight mode but is now shifting to flight mode. I wonder if that is because he feels everything closing in on him and his attempt to fight wasn’t successful.

The flight move might tend to make one more sloppy in covering all their tracks and relationships.

And he’s going to get crushed on short term capital gains tax on that sale, which to me points to wanting to get the heck away from that property or CO in general.

So he has a loss on the sale and will owe 22% tax on the proceeds. You only do that if you absolutely need to free up the cash or just want to cut out and be done with the property.

Nonsensical. Taxes are not owed on sales proceeds of real estate if the real estate is sold for a loss. He’ll be able to apply that loss against his income. It will REDUCE his taxes, not raise them.

IIRC, it was BM's friend that showed up and began essentially telling the deputies on scene, how to do their jobs & handle the bike. For some reason, he was already seeing this as a scene that should be handled like crime scene, with proper evidence collection.

At the time, there was actually no reason to believe yet, that a crime had even occured, but that was GD attitude, according to MSM reports about him, at the scene. I do have to wonder if BM himself didn't plant that little bug in his ear, to cause him to think that way before he even got to the location. If BM's plan was to make it look like a crime happened, it'd make sense he would want the scene processed as a crime scene.

BM, Bashing the CCSO from the beginning:

"Investigators found Suzanne’s bike on a trail shortly after her disappearance, and Barry claims they did not properly document the discovery. ‘My buddy was there right after that, and he said they completely destroyed the evidence, and he tried to stop them, but they wouldn’t listen to him, saying,’ This isn’t CSI. ” “There is no evidence to the detectives because the sheriff has completely obliterated it.” Missing Colorado mother's husband Suzanne Morphew, 49, claims police 'destroyed evidence'

jmo
Yes, why would the friend immediately assume it was a crime scene, is the question. Apparently even LE did not jump to that conclusion upon finding the bike.

Even after several months of investigating, using all kinds of resources, BM still focused only on the bike as being the reason LE messed up the investigation.

Nonsensical. Taxes are not owed on sales proceeds of real estate if the real estate is sold for a loss. He’ll be able to apply that loss against his income. It will REDUCE his taxes, not raise them.
I think OP meant the house sold for less than the asking price, but he did sell it for more than he and SM paid for it and he will be paying capital gains on that. JMO.

Botched Crime Scene from the Get-Go? Or???
IIRC, it was BM's friend that showed up and began essentially telling the deputies ..., how to do their jobs...
@Ontario Mom. bbm sbm Yes, as you said: MSM reported, BM said [yada, yada, yada]. Agreed.

Of course, believing that LE bungled it that way hinges on:
1. MSM reporters accurately repeating BM's stmts, and
2. BM making true, accurate stmts to MSM, and
3. BM's friend making true, accurate stmts to BM, and
4. BM's friend being at the scene at approp time, and
5. BM's friend in position to observe LE's actions, and
6. BM's friend being familiar w LE search & rescue protocol for MisPers, and
7. BM's friend advising LE about proper protocol, and
8. LE ignoring BM's friend's advice.
9. LE botching it.

Anyone believe each & every point above? Personally I'll go w point 1, not sure about 2 - 9.

@Ontario Mom. bbm sbm Yes, as you said: MSM reported, BM said [yada, yada, yada]. Agreed.

9. LE botching it.

Anyone believe each & every point above? Personally I'll go w point 1, not sure about 2 - 9.
Short answer: no.

Slightly longer answer: 1 is true. 3 might be true, but that's about it.

I think OP meant the house sold for less than the asking price, but he did sell it for more than he and SM paid for it and he will be paying capital gains on that. JMO.
You can exclude up to $500,000 in capital gains (for married couple) on sale of primary residence in which you have lived at least two of the last five years, but there is the restriction you can only benefit from this exemption every two years. And most costs to sell (incl. fees paid to agents and some closing costs) are deducted from proceeds before calculating gain or loss.

So, if the sale of the Indiana primary residence closed in 2020 and this one will presumably close this year, BM might come up against the "only benefit from this exemption every two years" restriction. If so, the loss on the Longhorn property would offset against that gain.

IIRC, there was a Land Contract entered on the Indiana residence in 2019. I don't know anything about the terms of that deal, so don't know if it would qualify to move sale date back into 2019 and thus past the two year restriction. It seems likely to me that ownership would have to have transferred and all closing terms have been determined (even if not yet fulfilled, such as payments to a seller-mortgagor) for 2019 to be considered the sales date.

Last edited:

9. LE botching it.

I definitely agree to #8 . Why in the world are they going to take a missing woman’s husbands buddy’s advice ? Even if he was a firemen .

The fact is the bike doesn’t make her break the case . Sorry Barry .
Moo

The purchase of the longhorn property was calculated in my opinion. He took a loss selling it and I think he did for tax purposes Bc he knew he was going to sell the home .

Did the longhorn property get searched ? Sorry if that has already been talked about !!

moo

The purchase of the longhorn property was calculated in my opinion. He took a loss selling it and I think he did for tax purposes Bc he knew he was going to sell the home .

Did the longhorn property get searched ? Sorry if that has already been talked about !!

moo
When AM had his organized search effort in Sept 2020 (something like 700+ involved), dogs hit or alerted (can't remember the precise language used) on or near a big dirt/rock pile on that Longhorn Development property.

Investigators went to the site and used ground penetrating radar, a small excavator/dozer, and hand shovels and dug up a few spots and some photographs were taken, but nothing was reportedly found.

When AM had his organized search effort in Sept 2020 (something like 700+ involved), dogs hit or alerted (can't remember the precise language used) on or near a big dirt/rock pile on that Longhorn Development property.

Investigators went to the site and used ground penetrating radar, a small excavator/dozer, and hand shovels and dug up a few spots and some photographs were taken, but nothing was reportedly found.
Wow thank you , I didn’t realize that was one of the areas that they searched also. So those dogs are good, and they probably hit on a scent but it could’ve been from her being previously there too, Or they just missed her .The dogs could’ve been absolutely wrong which I believe they rarely are though. Surely LE would see that he was there , if they went back and thoroughly looked through his gps and phone history .

Moo

I thought it was the lot BM bought and then sold for less that was being referred to. He must have initially planned on staying in the area but it seems he changed his mind. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member