Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, using your assumptions above the CG exclusion does not apply. If you read my explanation, though, I stated I had not sighted either closing statement so I made no assumptions on the R/E agent's commission. I have come across FSBO (For Sale By Owner) purchases where the buyer simply has their attorney complete the closing statement and there was no commission. But either way, with a loss - which is not deductible by a seller - or a sale where the gain is under the $250K/$500K limit, there are no taxes on the CO residence sale. And, of course, we have even less data on the Indiana residence sale (assuming the IN sale was of their residence, which I don't know for sure) so we don't know the tax liability there, if any.

From my understanding they lived in the house less than two years, therefore they would be unable to deduct any losses on the sale.

Yes, using your assumptions above the CG exclusion does not apply. If you read my explanation, though, I stated I had not sighted either closing statement so I made no assumptions on the R/E agent's commission. I have come across FSBO (For Sale By Owner) purchases where the buyer simply has their attorney complete the closing statement and there was no commission. But either way, with a loss - which is not deductible by a seller - or a sale where the gain is under the $250K/$500K limit, there are no taxes on the CO residence sale. And, of course, we have even less data on the Indiana residence sale (assuming the IN sale was of their residence, which I don't know for sure) so we don't know the tax liability there, if any.

From my understanding they lived in the house less than two years, therefore they would be unable to deduct any losses on the sale.

Well worth the watch. Start at the 23:30 mark. I can’t help but think that if CM was in charge, things would be different. I was critical of CM earlier on, but he’s a ‘mover, and a shaker.’ Makes things happen and gets things done. It comes out in the video, he’d love to take a shot at this case. It’s become personal. And I like it, finally some emotion from somebody who can move the needle.

Totally agree, Minor! Chris has that fire in his belly, and I feel confident he will not allow this case to die. Like him or not, he has 1000's of followers who want to help keep this case alive, by keeping the conversation going. I think Chris means what he says, and that promise he made to Gene, he will keep.

In his latest live, he said that when he was on the force, his nickname was "The Vault," because he was so excellent at keeping pertinent information close to the vest, and never letting it slip. I think the little nuggets of "info" he releases may not always be 100 percent true, but he knows what he's doing and the "game" he's playing. And I thoroughly enjoy watching it all go down. (I don't think Chris is letting little oopsies of info slip out, I think he is personally taunting Barry to see if he'll get a reaction.)

In NYC, I have seen tourists photoing each other and my offer to photo all of them together is frequently accepted. So without more, you cannot rule out that a stranger or a waiter or someone took the photo of BM and girls in Mexico.
But I think Chris said “an eye witness”.

From what I've seen they closed on the property in April 2018 and moved in May 2018. I've heard that BM moved out sometime after Suzanne went missing, so that should still give them 24 months out of the last 5 years. I say 'them' because as far as I know Suzanne has not been legally declared deceased and BM would file as if married. That would mean if there is any gain on the sale they could exclude under $500K. If there is a loss, they can't deduct it regardless of whether or not they were in 24+ months because that is a loss on personal use property.

Well worth the watch. Start at the 23:30 mark. I can’t help but think that if CM was in charge, things would be different. I was critical of CM earlier on, but he’s a ‘mover, and a shaker.’ Makes things happen and gets things done. It comes out in the video, he’d love to take a shot at this case. It’s become personal. And I like it, finally some emotion from somebody who can move the needle.
My, MY, Bare Bear’s been a busy little bare bear! Can’t wait to see that come to a grinding halt!!

What I found the most interesting was the fact there was a close friend of BM’s among the people watching the FBI team investigating the Longhorn Ranch lot after the HRD dogs alerted on it.

Why was that person there? Were they sent by BM to snoop or were they involved? Hopefully we’ll know the answer one of these days.
Exactly ... why was that person there ????

Totally agree, Minor! Chris has that fire in his belly, and I feel confident he will not allow this case to die. Like him or not, he has 1000's of followers who want to help keep this case alive, by keeping the conversation going. I think Chris means what he says, and that promise he made to Gene, he will keep.

In his latest live, he said that when he was on the force, his nickname was "The Vault," because he was so excellent at keeping pertinent information close to the vest, and never letting it slip. I think the little nuggets of "info" he releases may not always be 100 percent true, but he knows what he's doing and the "game" he's playing. And I thoroughly enjoy watching it all go down. (I don't think Chris is letting little oopsies of info slip out, I think he is personally taunting Barry to see if he'll get a reaction.)
It’s genius . Barry is on the edge of his seat I’m sure !!!! He has no idea what all Chris knows!!

moo

What I found the most interesting was the fact there was a close friend of BM’s among the people watching the FBI team investigating the Longhorn Ranch lot after the HRD dogs alerted on it.

Why was that person there? Were they sent by BM to snoop or were they involved? Hopefully we’ll know the answer one of these days.
See that is so sketchy he should NOT of been allowed to watch . He / she was probably telling Barry exactly where they searched.
Moo

Would you mind providing a link to an approved source where this is discussed? I must have missed this info. Would love to re-read it. TIA.
WOO

Loss on Home Sale, Deductible or Not?
@TIGER0822 If ^ post is saying a loss from home sale is or may be deductible if owner occupies home for two years, I do not believe it is accurate and further, the loss is not deductible, regardless of length of occupancy & holding period. Your understanding (from unspecified source) is different from mine, based on info at irs.gov.
- Publication 544, "Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets"*
- Publication 523, "Selling Your Home" Worksheet 2:** "... you sold your home at a loss. You can’t deduct this loss..."

my2ct. If I'm overlooking or misinterpreting something, I hope one of our accounting or tax professionals will weigh in.
ETA: Just noticed @JnRyan already posted on this.
• A home owned and occupied by you and your family...
"Personal-use property.

"Generally, property held for personal use is a capital asset. Gain from a sale or exchange of that property is a capital gain. Loss from the sale or exchange of that property is not deductible. You can deduct a loss relating to personal-use property only if it results from a casualty or theft."
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p544--2019.pdf bbm

** Worksheet 2:
"...7. Figure your gain or loss (amount realized minus adjusted basis).
Line 3 minus line 6
7. • If the number is negative (adjusted basis is greater than amount realized), you sold your home at a loss. You can’t deduct this loss, but you don’t need to pay any tax on the money you received from selling your home. Skip to Reporting Your Home Sale, later.
• If the number is positive, you sold your home at a gain...."

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf bbm

Barry moved her IMO !!! That is why the canines hit so many different areas , that is why he was so nervous during these searches . They need to go back to places they searched again. They may need new warrants now, and not publicize it before they search . Let it be known after it’s completed !

moo

Absolutely.
Answer: because he doesn't want to.
Why doesn't he want to?
1. Because he either really hated Suzanne and could care less what happened to her.
or
2. He doesn't want facts discovered.

These options for not hiring a PI express contempt for the victim that BM possibly possessed. We don't kill the people we love then secret their bodies.

How could Suzanne not feel his contempt? Had she ever considered that her husband may be contemplating her death?

Rage, perhaps coupled with one's current or pending circumstances, may have led to her death. How could Suzanne not sense violence could result?

I ask these things as a survivor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members