CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Empty Bottles, am I correct in recalling you may be a local in CO? Any scuttlebut lately among TW's fellow riders re: their assessment of safety at this time out on the trails? Do they have any inside info, however vague, as to whether authorities are suggesting people stay away or not?

Haven't any of TW's friends and family wanted to offer a reward for information? Or do they feel it not necessary? And if so, why?

Yes I'm local to Colorado Springs. I'm sure there are some of TW's friends lurking who could answer those questions better than I can. I'll leave that to them.

What I can tell you as a long-time local is that overall I'm very disappointed in our sheriff's office and DA.

Hatchet Man very nearly walked out of jail today. And there has been little released to make me think that any type of investigation is currently taking place on this homicide. That's troubling. We only know what little we were able to glean during the search for TW's body. And I'm not even sure what has been released to the press is true.

Honestly, I don't feel safe in Colorado any longer and I think the extent of the homeless problem in Pike National Forest, which is the bigger view reason surrounding why TW is dead today, is being hidden for political reasons and also the main reason why DN is being quietly ushered out of Colorado. DN's homeless brother was killed, homeless DN killed back. How's that for a press release?

My personal belief right now is that the DA and sheriff plea bargained DN to hide the problem of homeless camps and our governments complacency on the issue. The SO (sheriffs office) was negligent by not notifying the Trails and open Space Coalition, the newspapers, or Medicine Wheel, to get the word out that somebody was running around Mt Herman with a hatchet threatening people. And somebody may have died because of that. I have to wonder if the DA is more worried about a lawsuit from the victims family than prosecuting the person guilty of the crime.

I don't believe for a second that there is some type cat and mouse game being played with DN. Our SO quite honestly appears to be a joke right now. Our last sheriff was in court today on corruption charges and the current sheriff has apparently started an inner-department war that has spilled out onto the Internet. They have bigger problems than finding TW's killer.

Something to think about.
It wasn't so long ago that another of our local mountain bike pioneers was murdered, Mike Rust, killed with a single gunshot to the back of the head. The case was cold for a number of years until recently when the case was publicized through a movie about Mike, The Rider and the Wolf, and then the murderers son turned his father in after a family argument. That was what broke the case.

It wasn't detective work, it wasn't forensics, it was the fact that the case was finally publicized to the extent that the murderer was turned in by his own son. I have to think that TW's case is much the same.

So when I think about Mike Rust what I am left with is that somebody, somewhere knows what happened. And it could be that the one person who has that one clue that would close the case, simply never cared enough or paid enough attention to the news to know their information could make a difference. So heck yeah. If the case is already cold. Why isn't the sheriff reaching out and asking for help? politics? really? It's so sad to think about because TW deserves better. And so do Abby and Libby.

KN knows where DN was on Feb 13/14th and September 14th. I would really like to hear those explanations under oath.

Your explanation makes sense. So does the one you replied to by kizzykat. We really have no idea.

I don’t know what to think about the sheriff’s responses at this point. Did he know about the warrant before release or not? I just keep leaning towards the fact that DN got off so easy in Co....and I didn’t think a judge would be so lax. I also don’t think a second judge would be so lax with a habitual FTA defendant.

The whole argument at this point is whether
1) he got off easily because the CO judge felt that no jail time was the appropriate sentence. The second judge today in Clear Creek felt confident that DN would come back for court, so he again got off easily. He will go to Indiana and face his FTR charges and whatever other minors remain open, and be out of jail in a couple months.

2) the whole thing in El Paso county was for show, as was the PR bond today. He will go to Indiana and eventually be charged with A&L’s murders.

3) the whole thing was a show, but only because Colorado really doesn’t want him, and Indiana plans to give him maximum sentences on all of his open cases in order to save face for the fact that he alluded them on 7 ongoing cases for 3 years.

4) the whole thing was for a show, and he will face charges in Johnson county for FTR while LE has access to him, since they did not in Colorado. LE is confident that he will be cleared, but need to obtain a statement/DNA etc. His hearing for FTA will drag on for months while the public waits, and then LE is able to clear him in the summer or fall. Or never, but he is eventually released.

5). LE knows he is guilty of 3 murders, but evidence is lacking. There’s no dna, or no match, no phone records that are of any use, and no alibi. He remains a POI and eventually is jailed and released after shuffling between Indiana and Colorado for a year or more. He disappears or kills himself or whatever.

Just my opinions on likely scenarios. Maybe others have better theories. I don’t know what to think.

I took the comments from the retiring guy to be referring to the goof up with the recent Tennessee announcement having mistakenly gotten hopes up before it was clarified by LE ... JMO...

So what is the plea hearing on the 21st Feb about and what about the March custody case?

Will JoCo deal with the whole FTR period from May 12th till his arrest in Sept?

This isn't making sense if they haven't dealt with the Clear Creek charges yet. What about the gag order?

Thanks for the link, adding to Abby's and Libby's media threac.

Person of interest in Delphi case will return to Indiana because of unrelated warrant

"JOHNSON COUNTY, Ind. – A man considered a person of interest in the murder of two Delphi teens is being sent back to Indiana from Colorado.

There’s an active warrant for Daniel Nations’ arrest for failing to register as a sex offender in Johnson County, according to Sheriff Doug Cox. The sheriff says his officers will have to go get him and court records say they have 21 days to do so."

If JoCo has 21d to come get DN ... can they do that even though he has a Feb 21 hearing in CO? Will the Atty just stand in for him in CO on Feb 21? (Any attys out there who could weigh in on this?)

this is so blankety blank interesting..I'm so thrilled I want to start cussing..sounds like LE is blanking with DN big time.

YAY!!!

I knew you'd be pleased. It's movement anyway. Maybe this plea thing on the 21st Feb is a done deal already and it is all just going to transfer as probation to JoCo. Along with his other warrants for FTA and violation of his probation in IN I think he will be looking at more jail time. They will take his DNA in JoCo while ISP work out if he can be included or excluded for Delphi, hopefully in time for an anniversary update.
:cow: :smile:

I knew you'd be pleased. It's movement anyway. Maybe this plea thing on the 21st Feb is a done deal already and it is all just going to transfer as probation to JoCo. Along with his other warrants for FTA and violation of his probation in IN I think he will be looking at more jail time. They will take his DNA in JoCo while ISP work out if he can be included or excluded for Delphi, hopefully in time for an anniversary update.
:cow: :smile:

(Ugh, "anniversary update"...:( I said a year ago that I hope we are not here a year later unsolved...)

Hope DN is homesick because the state of Indiana owns him now.

I am super interested to see if DN starts freaking out and dominos start falling..and things start getting said etc..

Hope DN is homesick because the state of Indiana owns him now.

I am super interested to see if DN starts freaking out and dominos start falling..and things start getting said etc..

KN seems relaxed and playing with her baby. IF DN turns out to be the hunter of Abby and Libby then baby's name might be more than irony. Just saying.

I will be opening a new Abby and Libby thread later tonight. We are shorthanded thanks to the flu.

Thank you all for your patience.

Please keep on topic OK?

Thank you,
Tricia

KN seems relaxed and playing with her baby. IF DN turns out to be the hunter of Abby and Libby then baby's name might be more than irony. Just saying.

Relaxed and playing with baby? How do you know this?

i really still cant get past the fact that even with unrecognizable clothing , KN says that BG looks just like her husband and says it could be her husband.

I mean think about it..gravitas..the fact she said it, the weight of that.

something has to blow.

MOO

also was reading recent articles and he just looks mean as a snake, well he is actually as mean as a snake and he pled guilty to it, so. MOO

Yes I'm local to Colorado Springs. I'm sure there are some of TW's friends lurking who could answer those questions better than I can. I'll leave that to them.

What I can tell you as a long-time local is that overall I'm very disappointed in our sheriff's office and DA.

Hatchet Man very nearly walked out of jail today. And there has been little released to make me think that any type of investigation is currently taking place on this homicide. That's troubling. We only know what little we were able to glean during the search for TW's body. And I'm not even sure what has been released to the press is true.

Honestly, I don't feel safe in Colorado any longer and I think the extent of the homeless problem in Pike National Forest, which is the bigger view reason surrounding why TW is dead today, is being hidden for political reasons and also the main reason why DN is being quietly ushered out of Colorado. DN's homeless brother was killed, homeless DN killed back. How's that for a press release?

My personal belief right now is that the DA and sheriff plea bargained DN to hide the problem of homeless camps and our governments complacency on the issue. The SO (sheriffs office) was negligent by not notifying the Trails and open Space Coalition, the newspapers, or Medicine Wheel, to get the word out that somebody was running around Mt Herman with a hatchet threatening people. And somebody may have died because of that. I have to wonder if the DA is more worried about a lawsuit from the victims family than prosecuting the person guilty of the crime.

I don't believe for a second that there is some type cat and mouse game being played with DN. Our SO quite honestly appears to be a joke right now. Our last sheriff was in court today on corruption charges and the current sheriff has apparently started an inner-department war that has spilled out onto the Internet. They have bigger problems than finding TW's killer.

It wasn't so long ago that another of our local mountain bike pioneers was murdered, Mike Rust, killed with a single gunshot to the back of the head. The case was cold for a number of years until recently when the case was publicized through a movie about Mike, The Rider and the Wolf, and then the murderers son turned his father in after a family argument. That was what broke the case.

It wasn't detective work, it wasn't forensics, it was the fact that the case was finally publicized to the extent that the murderer was turned in by his own son. I have to think that TW's case is much the same.

So when I think about Mike Rust what I am left with is that somebody, somewhere knows what happened. And it could be that the one person who has that one clue that would close the case, simply never cared enough or paid enough attention to the news to know their information could make a difference. So heck yeah. If the case is already cold. Why isn't the sheriff reaching out and asking for help? politics? really? It's so sad to think about because TW deserves better. And so do Abby and Libby.

KN knows where DN was on Feb 13/14th and September 14th. I would really like to hear those explanations under oath.

Bingo! What is she so afraid of?

Thank you, empty bottles, for sharing your local perspective. I hope Colorado can find justice for Tim and his family. IMO, I agree KN knows a lot more, but I don't think she will open up about it unless DN is going to be locked up for a real long time, which doesn't seem likely at this point. That being said, I pray for resolution in the death of Tim Watkins, and Libby and Abby in Delphi. The answers are out there somewhere.... i'm waiting for the day.

Thinking of Tim W and his family ... hoping there will be answers soon.

Relaxed and playing with baby? How do you know this?
From her FB it looks like she gets a visitation once a month. Unless she has another FB page under a fake name she has been really quiet on FB only posting a pic of baby during her monthly visit. Maybe she is working, or taking classes. I don't even know if she's still at the shelter. Except for the baby pix she's gone underground it seems. Her status is still listed as separated. I don't know why she wouldn't have already divorced him. Maybe she doesn't have the funds to file.

From her FB it looks like she gets a visitation once a month. Unless she has another FB page under a fake name she has been really quiet on FB only posting a pic of baby during her monthly visit. Maybe she is working, or taking classes. I don't even know if she's still at the shelter. Except for the baby pix she's gone underground it seems. Her status is still listed as separated. I don't know why she wouldn't have already divorced him. Maybe she doesn't have the funds to file.
Sorry to reply to my own post but I had a thought and didn't want to risk waiting a few minutes and losing it, haha!
I was reading the post that DN when facing extradition may get nervous and start talking. It made me think of the dynamics when he is sent back to IN but KN and his babies remain in CO awaiting the parental rights hearing in Mar. That is going to put a lot of stress on him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke