Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the state limits how much therapy state medicaid can cover, meaning the patient may only see the dr writing his or her prescriptions 3 or 4 times a year.

Think about how this relates to how effective the patients meds and/or therapy are. I have experienced a lot of disappointment and frustration with state-run mental health facilities.

This young man may not have been eligible for Medicaid because of 'resources'. At his age, considering he was not in school (not sure, was he?) he could not be covered under parents' insurance. A very bad situation!

We really need reporters nowadays to be a little more educated when attempting to report on crimes involving any kind of weapon. These words can't be tossed around like this, as it's not accurate. A .223 rifle is NOT an "assault rifle". It is a hunting rifle...

There are reports that a Sig Sauer was found, and a Glock was found WITH the shooter. Reports say that both of those were handguns, and neither were rifles. The rifle he did have was reportedly in his Mom's car, and was not used in the school itself.

Also, with people reporting on only brand-names of the guns found, then how do we know what kind of handguns these really were? There are a variety of calibers, and models carried by both companies.

Like I said. The reporters need to not get into the habit of writing about things they know nothing about... Either that or their editors need to do a much better job of fact-checking. It's frustrating to say the least - and leaves people more confused in situations like this as well.

Thinking out loud as to why he went to the school....Could it have been some kind of "trigger" in his mind of a bad experience he had as a child in the school (if he indeed went there) and that is why he seems to have targeted those 2 particular rooms? As I said just thinking out loud

How do you know she bought them after her son's issues became apparent? Maybe she's owned them for a long time. Perhaps she received them as inheritance, or passed down to her, etc... They were LEGALLY owned and registered. It doesn't matter WHY she bought them.

I do not know why everyone keeps calling it an "assault rifle". He used HANDGUNS in the assault on the school. Also, we don't know that the mother hadn't taken precautions in regards to where the firearms were located within the house, etc...

The guns are not the issue - the person is. If he had planned this out the way LE says he did, he would have found a gun - whether his mother owned them or not...

JMO.

Also, I can understand people having opinion on whether or not to spank your children, but saying that a spanking is physical assault is wrong. I'm not going to get into the specifics, but there is a HUGE difference between discipline and abuse. I just didn't appreciate the opinion being put forth that all spankings are physical abuse.

Also, even if the parent thought it was something that was "OK at the time", it doesn't excuse TRULY abusive behaviors in the least.

Anyway, I'm done reading about this here. There are still so many conflicting posts and reports, and everyone is looking for something to blame it seems, when there will never be an adequate answer...

ALL MOO!
I'm sorry, it does feel bad to see your choices blamed for such unspeakable crimes such as these. And that's exactly what people are doing when they claim it's part of the root cause of these tragedies. I was really taken back by the ones I saw earlier that spoke against me and even more against my children who happen to be of this generation.

I hope it was apparent in my post that I put a lot of thought into defending one position without vilifying another. I was speaking against divisive statements in general, not just the ones that alienate me as a part of this conversation. I don't think they do any good from any angle.

This is heartbreaking. Losing a child is the worst thing anyone can go through. I can't imagine losing one like this. In addition,the siblings of the victims are scarred for life. So sad.

This young man may not have been eligible for Medicaid because of 'resources'. At his age, considering he was not in school (not sure, was he?) he could not be covered under parents' insurance. A very bad situation!

Actually since Obama Care he can be covered on the parents insurance until age 26 even though he wasn't in school.

Did I wander onto the gun thread?

Sent from my LG Motion using Tapatalk 2

Just thinking out loud here concerning why he went to the school. Could mom have talked about (innocently?) how she missed her classroom and the kids? She quit to take care of him - could he have overheard her talking on the phone to friends about how she missed it - or maybe she was contemplating putting him somewhere so she could go back to work? IDK - but, for me, that would seem a possibility now that we know she quit to take care of him.

As for the guns.............just common sense here. Why would a woman have those guns in a house where she was caring for a mentally unstable young adult? It just doesn't make sense. JMHO and all that - but common sense..........

JMHO

Thinking out loud as to why he went to the school....Could it have been some kind of "trigger" in his mind of a bad experience he had as a child in the school (if he indeed went there) and that is why he seems to have targeted those 2 particular rooms? As I said just thinking out loud

We probably will never know why seeing that his mother and himself are gone.

I'm sorry, it does feel bad to see your parenting choices blamed for such unspeakable crimes such as these. And that's exactly what people are doing when they claim it's part of the root cause of these tragedies. I was really taken back by the ones I saw earlier that spoke against me and my choices.

I hope it was apparent in my post that I put a lot of thought into defending one position without vilifying another. I was speaking against divisive statements in general, not just the ones that alienate me as a part of this conversation. I don't think they do any good from any angle.

I don't think it was your post that's sticking with me, to tell you the truth... I'd have to go back and see. :)

My sentiments exactly! Why kill mom at home, and then go to school and kill innocent children??

Upthread, there were links that indicated NL had been a teacher at Sandyhook, but left teaching to care for AL's mental illness issues.

If that is the case, maybe AL developed some kind of "warped" mindset that NL loved her pupils more than her son, and he wanted to destroy both his mother and the kids she adored as revenge.

Just typing that makes me feel physically ill.

Twenty littles lost for no #@#%#$^ reason.

Illegally yes. Where there is a will there is a way!

Police are stating the guns were registered to her.
JUST my opinion but I THINK? that requires her fingerprints...
and or background check/waiting period...

Unless you buy them from an individual and then there is no waiting or immediate background check.

So horrible for the families who have lost loved ones, especially the parents of those loved ones. They will feel as though they are walking through the halls of hell. I know, I am there and have been for 9+ years.

I do believe the guns were purchased by the mother legally. I do not believe they were bought for her son (subject to change). Maybe she liked to collect guns (I don't personally understand that hobby)? The type of guns are questionable for all intents and purposes, but... I just don't know??

I read she was a gun collector.

Young man returns to US elementary school as mass killer
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/15/usa-shooting-connecticut-shooter-idUSL1E8NEG9W20121215

Dan Holmes, owner of a landscaping firm, described Nancy Lanza as an avid gun collector who once showed him a "high-end rifle" that she had purchased.

"She said she would often go target shooting with her kids," he said.

He was likely on Medicaid and receiving disability checks.

Unless you buy them from an individual and then there is no waiting or immediate background check.

That's true, but then they likely wouldn't have been registered in her name.

You can't really have people committed anymore. You can have someone committed for the short term but they don't really stay at the hospital too long before they are released. There are not enough resources out there.

I liked the article on what to do in the event of a school shooting. That is something we should teach. I was looking through the principals pictures and they had an emergency drill in October. It actually sounds like the school did everything they could. The janitor turned on the announcement and ran through the halls warning people and the teachers locked their classrooms and the kids all hid. I never thought of what to do when running or hiding isn't an option. But throwing heavy objects and having a group get together and swarming and restraining makes sense. At that point there really is no other option. That would not work for kindergartners though.

I don't think it is terrible that the children were interviewed. Like another said the parents were in shock and some of the kids probably want to talk to someone and process what happened.

The janitor allegedly turned on the intercom system so the rest of the school could hear the gunfire and screams from the principal's office (so they would realize they were under attack).

(I am looking for a link.)

This man is a hero. I do not fault him. What he did probably is what saved so many kids. It is probably what had a lot to do with getting the kids out. It told the teachers that this was not a mock thing, and that it in fact was a real situation.

This man probably saved a lot of people by his actions!

This man is a hero. I do not fault him. What he did probably is what saved so many kids. It is probably what had a lot to do with getting the kids out. It told the teachers that this was not a mock thing, and that it in fact was a real situation.

This man probably saved a lot of people by his actions!

He/She is a hero and I agree that it did save lives as it allowed the teachers to hide the children and lock their classroom doors. A teacher even said the shooter was banging on her door as she hid the children in the closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody