Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of talk today in the U.K press of the Olympics going ahead to empty stadiums. I just can’t picture it winning a gold, silver, bronze medal and nobody cheering you on and no opening and closing ceremony. It would be better to postpone it a year, that’s if things are better in a year.

Dear @gregjrichards,

I absolutely agree that it should be postponed for a year.

With enough pressure from governments around the world, hopefully that will convince officials to not move forward with the Olympics there. Or, anywhere in the world during this pandemic.

My thinking is that the governments will not want their athletes, or anyone else in the athletic groups (coaches, etc.) to risk their lives by attending. Why would they want anyone in their country to travel, become affected, and then return home to affect so many people where they live?

I realize that money is involved in the Olympics but at what cost? Human lives?

Dear @gregjrichards,

I absolutely agree that it should be postponed for a year.

With enough pressure from governments around the world, hopefully that will convince officials to not move forward with the Olympics there. Or, anywhere in the world during this pandemic.

My thinking is that the governments will not want their athletes, or anyone else in the athletic groups (coaches, etc.) to risk their lives by attending. Why would they want anyone in their country to travel, become affected, and then return home to affect so many people where they live?

I realize that money is involved in the Olympics but at what cost? Human lives?
I'm on the fence. I don't want any risks because of crowds, of course, but also hate to see the international games canceled or postponed. I wonder if "virtual" audiences would work - a way to really bring the world together by watching online? To cheer on the athletes, but from afar??

Is that too...cold and distant?

jmo

Ha....I'm with her...

"In this situation, the facts defeat fear."
NY Gov. Cuomo says his daughter called him worried about coronavirus, and told him, "'Don't tell me to relax, tell me why I should be relaxed'—which is a very big difference." Coronavirus live updates: US confirms 2nd fatality as global death toll nears 3,000 ABC News on Twitter
ABC News on Twitter

Cuomo says new cleaning protocols to be implemented in schools & on public transportation, including with bleach. #COVID19
Meg Tirrell on Twitter

Last edited:
And he said in presser in NY... that the person didn't transmit during flight or in car on way home because she wasn't symptomatic. Umm, that is an issue here as it is WELL known and accepted that it can be.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMMIT they are giving incorrect information.

Travis Bedford

Something to keep in mind in the coming couple of weeks: we believe from modeling estimates from case data (midas-network/COVID-19) and from phylodynamics (https://t.co/iRqMpQ87ql) that epidemic doubling time is about 7 days. 1/4

This means that 100 infections will grow to 200 infections after one week and to 400 infections after two weeks. After local transmission has started, “there’ll be twice as many infections in a week” is a good grounding to think about how things will behave in your area. 2/4

Because of the lack of national testing that had been going on, there is likely a backlog of cases to be detected. As this backlog gets cleared, case counts are going to rise quickly. But please remember that reported cases aren’t newly acquired infections. 3/4

If US cases more than double in the next week it’s not because the virus is moving any faster. It’s just because we’ll finally be catching up to it. 4/4

Postscript: as we’ve seen in China, this 7 day doubling can be mitigated against with effective non-pharmaceutical interventions Trevor Bedford on Twitter

3. However, intervention measures undertaken in China have appeared to have a massive impact in slowing transmission. Just look at the latest daily case counts (Jo Di ️‍ on Twitter). 4/6

Trevor Bedford on Twitter

:(

"Prince Harry's Invictus Games have been thrown into 'chaos' as coronavirus continues its spread across Europe, a report said Monday."

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/02/prin...9.2105162355.1583030743-1571985433.1581907594

I keep checking to see if the 2020 World Figure Skating Championships will be canceled or if they will take place as scheduled March 16-22 in Montreal. So far, ISU (International Skating Union) indicates no plans to cancel, but who knows what could happen over the next couple of weeks.

Montreal 2020 – ISU World Figure Skating Championships Montreal 2020

New York will begin bleaching buses and schools, governor says

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the state is implementing new cleaning protocols at schools, on public transit and other public areas to protect against coronavirus.

Workers will use disinfectants in these areas, including bleach.

"So if people smell — if it smells like bleach when you get on a bus or when a child goes to school, it's not bad cologne or perfume, it is bleach," he said.

Coronavirus live news: Global death toll tops 3,000 - CNN

DH left this morning for a flight out of state for work. I bought him several pocket hand sanitizers to take with him.

Fortunately he left them sitting on the kitchen counter where they will be the most helpful to him. :rolleyes:

It is being reported in the French press that less than a week after the death of a high-school professor in the Oise region of northern France, two other people have died from the coronavirus in the same hospital. Le Parisien newspaper says it has the information from three sources.

“The hospital at Compiegne has suffered two further deaths, according to the last information I have,” said Philippe Marini, the city mayor.

In Nice, a three year old child was admitted to hospital with the virus.

Coronavirus: two patients die in France as four new cases detected in England – live updates

New York will begin bleaching buses and schools, governor says

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the state is implementing new cleaning protocols at schools, on public transit and other public areas to protect against coronavirus.

Workers will use disinfectants in these areas, including bleach.

"So if people smell — if it smells like bleach when you get on a bus or when a child goes to school, it's not bad cologne or perfume, it is bleach," he said.

Coronavirus live news: Global death toll tops 3,000 - CNN
Hoping this includes public transportation in and out of the city as well. The PATH, NJ Transit, LIRR, Metro North....Amtrak. For obvious reasons.

But whew - that's a lot of cleaning and a lot of bleach!

Hey everyone! Understandably, we are getting so many questions about the coronavirus. So, I’ve decided to try and help by creating a new podcast. It's called Coronavirus: Fact vs Fiction and our first episode is already up. Listen and subscribe: Coronavirus: Fact vs Fiction Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Twitter

Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Twitter

Dear @Henry2326,

Thank you for posting Dr. Gupta's podcasts!

They are so informative and include the most up-to-date facts known about this virus.

Dr. Gupta answers questions and explains this virus so well that it is understandable to the average person (like me). This is so important.

It is being reported in the French press that less than a week after the death of a high-school professor in the Oise region of northern France, two other people have died from the coronavirus in the same hospital. Le Parisien newspaper says it has the information from three sources.

“The hospital at Compiegne has suffered two further deaths, according to the last information I have,” said Philippe Marini, the city mayor.

In Nice, a three year old child was admitted to hospital with the virus.

Coronavirus: two patients die in France as four new cases detected in England – live updates
Oh no...a child this time!

Hoping this includes public transportation in and out of the city as well. The PATH, NJ Transit, LIRR, Metro North....Amtrak. For obvious reasons.

But whew - that's a lot of cleaning and a lot of bleach!
So, everyone will have headaches from the smell...and still touch their faces.

But, I guess something needs to be done.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member