Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. The numbers have been weird to me, moo.

I’ve been saying since Day 1 something’s been going on in Japan moo.

I have posted lots of Japan stuff, including confirmation of sustained human to human transmission in the travel advisories. I’m still listening to the PC. I just started it. I’ll bring forward the link and we can listen together. Again, this is from MONDAY:

I’m not even 3 minutes in yet. I’ll bump the transcript later also.

If Dr. Tedros is worried about Japan, I’m worried about Japan.

Curious to hear more.

I agree - it feels like the calm before the storm when it comes to Japan.

I don’t normally think of Japan as a country that would suppress this kind of information, but at the same time, they generally don’t have the hosting of the Olympics on the line...

With the knowledge that Japan has had community spread, their current published numbers just don’t add up with the models being driven by other countries in a similar situation.

I honestly believe Japan will release very accurate data, but until a decision is made regarding the Olympics, I’ll be questioning the timeliness of such....

Japan has invested a great deal in preparation for the summer games, and they have a tremendous amount to lose if a successful outcome can’t be produced. I can only imagine the heated discussions taking place behind closed doors in regards to how they should proceed.

IMO, the situation in Japan is more than likely unfolding in a very similar fashion as that of South Korea and Italy, but they’ll keep that information close to the vest until a final decision is made in regards to how best to proceed with the Olympics.

My guess is that they already know the games need to be delayed, but that announcement will be easier to present once the WHO decides to formally announce the dreaded “P” word.

All MOO.......... and just my best guess at why Dr. Tedros specifically mentioned his concern with Japan.

It's much more noticeable than say 50 cans of baked beans or hand sanitiser disappearing

*running to check baked bean supply*

Condoms are selling out as people put them on their fingers to avoid Coronavirus
I hope people are staying away from the lubricated ones......
Whenever bad weather was forecast, there would be a surge of shoppers....buying TP and milk

Mine would be TP and wine.

The Problem With Telling Sick Workers to Stay Home

People in the US will not stay home , its going to be out of hand before we know it if they don't come up with some way to isolate people and forcibly, I don't like it but it seems inevitable.
I agree that it's likely people will not stay home. What if you're the sole breadwinner without other income, no sick days, etc.? (And there are people who break quarantine out of boredom - that is selfish and thoughtless.)

I don't know how quarantine can be forced.

To me, the EMPHASIS - very strongly, very, very strongly, needs to be on prevention. Wash hands, don't touch face. Wash hands, don't touch face.

Seriously, if you never touched your face, could you even get it? Not a dumb question, imo, so don't ridicule me please - nurses on the board, please chime in.

jmo

A man travelling through Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport has been put in quarantine in a portable room on a fire department parking lot after testing positive for the new coronavirus.

The municipality of Haarlemmermeer, where Schiphol is located just outside of the Dutch capital, set up six of the rooms last week as the virus began to spread across Europe.

“It’s a sort of portable container-like room with a door, window, toilet and shower,” said a spokeswoman for Haarlemmermeer.

Coronavirus live updates: number of confirmed cases in UK jumps to 85

It concerns me that we have no info on how many people from my state (Georgia) have been tested. And I question whether we will learn of positive results in a timely manner.
Can political issues/people silence the reporting of cases? And, is that happening?
absolutely, 1,ooo,ooo % it's happening.
I keep harping about my state, Florida, probably the #1 Tourist Destination in the World.
From day 1 our information has been stifled or
non-existent.
Can you believe our governor, when questioned by doubting reporters actually said
he wasn't allowed to discuss statistics about Florida due to a state law prohibiting it???
He was clearly getting his directions from Washington CD.
No wonder some people are panicking. We
can't trust our politicians or leaders to provide
current facts about our areas.

Combined with the turtle speed of testing and getting results out to the public, we have a huge bottleneck concerning up to date information.
US is behaving like a third world country. Don't tell them what may hurt them. Pretend
there's nothing to see here. Tra-la-la.

WHO says coronavirus is deadlier than the flu

The World Health Organization (WHO) says the novel coronavirus is deadlier than seasonal flu strains. No one has built up immunity to the new virus, said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

He put the death rate for Covid-19 at around 3.4%, but experts urged caution around this figure.

“While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease. Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.”

The new figure for the coronavirus is higher than the 2% mortality rate previously reported, but many experts say it remains variable.

Live updates: Coronavirus outbreak spreads across the world - CNN

I agree that it's likely people will not stay home. What if you're the sole breadwinner without other income, no sick days, etc.? (And there are people who break quarantine out of boredom - that is selfish and thoughtless.)

To me, the EMPHASIS - very strongly, very, very strongly, needs to be on prevention. Wash hands, don't touch face. Wash hands, don't touch face.

Seriously, if you never touched your face, could you even get it? Not a dumb question, imo, so don't ridicule me please - nurses on the board, please chime in.

jmo

United Kingdom news

Statutory sick pay will be available from the first day of illness under emergency legislation to tackle the coronavirus, Boris Johnson has said.

The Prime Minister said ‘nobody should be penalised for doing the right thing’ amid fears people could lose out financially if they self-isolate.

Sick pay will be paid from day one under plans to tackle coronavirus | Metro News

It is absolutely terrible U.S citizens don’t get any sick pay. The U.K government gets a lot wrong but I’m glad they introduced this legislation today.

jmo
not a nurse but- You can get it from inhaling
infected air from an infected person. Droplets
in the air. coughers, sneezers.

The Problem With Telling Sick Workers to Stay Home

People in the US will not stay home , its going to be out of hand before we know it if they don't come up with some way to isolate people and forcibly, I don't like it but it seems inevitable.
BBM

Forcibly isolating people is a slippery slope that can take us where we really don’t want to go IMO. Historically, “emergencies” have been used as an excuse to violate human rights. Once opened, it’s a very hard door to shut. Is it worth it?

It is absolutely terrible U.S citizens don’t get any sick pay. The U.K government gets a lot wrong but I’m glad they introduced this legislation today.
Snipped.

It's not that US citizens don't get sick pay, but not ALL people get sick pay. And if you use up your sick pay, then you're out of paid days for the rest of the year. We do have leave policies too, but I'm not sure they are paid as I haven't had to use them so unsure how that works.

Most employed people do get sick pay....but part-time workers might not, day laborers, people who are contract workers, people with lower-end jobs, etc might not.

My dear friend is a contract worker (like a long-term temp job) and she gets no sick pay. I'm not sure she could keep her contract if she missed too many days. She is a single mom. I think she'd go to work unless truly unable to get out of bed. She has a kid to feed.

jmo

From the above link (this is not even funny, wow is right...I’m not making light either...):

corona-filter-51-5e342d0a8c409__700.jpg

Drastic situations require drastic measures...

—-

ETA: This makes me sad. Not for me, or us, but for HER. To have to go to such measures must have been scary for her/. Or not. She could be a brave warrior. Survival. She HAD to take the chance and go out in nightmare conditions to get food.

—-

ETA2: I feel like I’m dreaming...

ETA3: Is this a dream? (Pinching myself, brb)

ETA4: Nope. Slapped myself silly. It’s not a dream.

Yeah, you know $&^! just got real when you stop laughing at people using feminine hygiene products taped over their mouth and start thinking "that's a GREAT idea!"

Try this stream...
I'm sure CBSN Los Angeles will have it live WATCH LIVE: CBSN Los Angeles - BNO News

LA County presser today at 8:30 am PT...

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors (Board) and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) will make major announcements regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in LA County. Officials will outline specific actions

LISTING OF DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRESS RELEASES

Last edited:
BBM

Forcibly isolating people is a slippery slope that can take us where we really don’t want to go IMO. Historically, “emergencies” have been used as an excuse to violate human rights. Once opened, it’s a very hard door to shut. Is it worth it?

100 million infected.....3.4 million dead in the short term... is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniMiranda82