Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the day that my daughter and I are headed to Disney for the opening of Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway at Hollywood Studios. I'll report back on what tactics they are using (assuming they are doing anything) to prevent spread of the virus. In the meantime, I have attached an actual photo of me as I head to the most magical place on Earth. :D

Attachments

• minnie.jpg
    minnie.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 17
Yeah, you know $&^! just got real when you stop laughing at people using feminine hygiene products taped over their mouth and start thinking "that's a GREAT idea!"
I hear ya. Last week if you told me that people at a business meeting would touch elbows instead of shaking hands, I would have burst out laughing at how dumb that is.

But, that's what I experienced yesterday and not only was everyone on board with it, there wasn't even a conversation about it. Everyone just bumped elbows and proceeded as if we all just shook hands. (But as someone here pointed it, might not be a good idea if people are also sneezing into their elbows.)

Fast moving times. Cultural change in three days.

jmo

The Washington Post on Twitter

Chinese researchers suggest there may be two strains of novel coronavirus

Researchers identify two coronavirus types as China cases dwindle
''SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Scientists in China studying the coronavirus outbreak said they had found two main types of the disease could be causing infections.''

''The preliminary study found that a more aggressive type of the new coronavirus associated with the disease outbreak in Wuhan accounted for about 70% of analyzed strains, while 30% was linked to a less aggressive type.

The prevalence of the more aggressive virus decreased after early January 2020, they said.

“These findings strongly support an urgent need for further immediate, comprehensive studies that combine genomic data, epidemiological data, and chart records of the clinical symptoms of patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19),” they wrote.

Their findings were published on Tuesday in the National Science Review, the journal of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.''

Today is the day that my daughter and I are headed to Disney for the opening of Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway at Hollywood Studios. I'll report back on what tactics they are using (assuming they are doing anything) to prevent spread of the virus. In the meantime, I have attached an actual photo of me as I head to the most magical place on Earth. :D
ENJOY your vacation and do report back here.

And...WASH YOUR HANDS! Often!

jmo

They found more past deaths....indicates the virus has been in WA for some time....

Today's new deaths in Washington state:
- A female in her 80s, resident of LifeCare, never hospitalized, died at her family home on Feb. 26
- A male in his 50s, resident of LifeCare, hospitalized at Harborview Medical Center and died on Feb. 26
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Posting this again:

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Los Angeles County will hold a press conference at 8:30 a.m. PT to make what they're calling "major announcements" about coronavirus. They'll outline actions they're taking and advice to the public.

Just read a mother of two’s post on Twitter, says she will make an assessment after the presser to either send her kids to school today or keep them home indefinitely and homeschool. Very curious to hear what they consider major announcements. MOO

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/covid-19-coronavirus-march-4-1.5484854
The latest:
  • WHO chief warns health workers are 'dangerously' ill-equipped to combat COVID-19, calls for more production of masks, gowns, gloves.
  • South Korea struggling to treat COVID-19 patients in Daegu as case numbers rise.
  • Italian media reports, citing Premier Giuseppe Conte, say all schools and universities will close until mid-March over the outbreak, while the education minister says nothing is final.
  • B.C. and Ontario report additional cases Tuesday, bringing total coronavirus cases in Canada to 33.
South Korea reported hundreds of new coronavirus cases on Wednesday as many sick people waited for hospital beds in Daegu, the city at the centre of the worst outbreak outside China.

The new cases bring South Korea's total to 5,621, with at least 32 deaths, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said.

Most cases were in and around Daegu, the country's fourth-largest city, where the flu-like virus has spread rapidly through members of a fringe Christian group.

Health officials expect the number of new cases to be high for the near future as they complete the testing of more than 200,000 members of the sect, as well as thousands of other suspected cases from smaller clusters.''

BBM

Forcibly isolating people is a slippery slope that can take us where we really don’t want to go IMO. Historically, “emergencies” have been used as an excuse to violate human rights. Once opened, it’s a very hard door to shut. Is it worth it?

well I'm over 50 and terrified so......and the Spouse and I are the income /caretaker of 4 girls we are all they have, so of I'd say yes, but of course I do follow your thinking.
I'm one of those that sees doom and my anxiety is on fast FWD !

I'm gonna go out on another unpopular limb here and say the scourge of our current health issues is the overuse of hand sanitizer/germicides. I've never ever used them. Neither have my kids. You can't develop immunity without exposure. None of my kids have been seriously ill or to the doctor since they had to for shots and baby illnesses. And I had cancer as a teenager but have never been seriously ill since then. They may be marginally useful in the case of a new virus, but overall a HUGE detriment imo.

Immunity to each virus, each strain of virus, each bacteria, etc has to be built one-by-one by exposure to *it*, not to others.

So, although that thinking appears to be popular (especially with anti-vaxxers) I don't see how it can be correct.

No one (other than 100,000 or so in China) on this planet has immunity to this particular strain of coronavirus. The only way to get immunity is by contracting it.

And that is the glass half full scenario where the immune system can hold the immunity long-term and the virus doesn't mutate too much or into too many strains before they have enough vaccine to do mass immunisations.

I don't normally use anti-bacterial handwashes and things as I believe most bacteria will wash off the hands with soap and hot water and a good rub. The antibacterial ones tend to leave my hands sore, which I believe could be due to killing off the 'good' microbes on the skin along with the 'bad' ones. But I don't think that practice is going to help me avoid or successfully fight off the Covid-19.

Keeping a close eye on this of course, like everyone else. My freshman in college daughter is over 2,000 miles away in a dorm in Seattle. Just to pass along what’s going on from her POV is that no one on campus or in the city is panicking, classes and events as usual, but there is definitely talk and instructors have mentioned the possibility of finishing out the quarter (2+ weeks left) online if need be. OTOH she spent the weekend at a friends’ in the suburbs and said people there are freaking out, prepping for the end of times lol.

We get emails from the university and they have a plan in place if UW has to suspend operations. They’re monitoring the situation of course. Some study abroad students are being brought home and UW travel to certain places is being suspended. No one connected to UW has tested positive, but they are warning people that confirmed cases WILL dramatically increase in coming days due to increase in testing that will confirm already existing cases and not to FREAK OUT.

IDK, I think there’s a fine line between being appropriately cautious and freaking the heck out. I’m worried about the virus and don’t want to get sick, don’t want anyone to get sick. I’m worried for the most vulnerable and the nursing home in WA really is a worst case scenario, but sold out hand sanitizer & going for $107.99 on Amazon is flat out ridiculous. Who is really going to run out of soap? A regular size Dawn dish soap should last years if you just use a drop or so to wash your hands, and I probably have a couple of extra under my sinks. Pure unhelpful panic.

We’ll drive to Seattle to get our daughter if we need to, but hoping school doesn’t get all messed up and she’s able to fly home for spring break as planned. Really hoping after this inevitable spike in confirmed cases this starts to calm down.

There are now at least 130 cases of novel coronavirus in the US

Here's a state-by-state breakdown of the US cases:
  1. Arizona – 2
  2. California – 27
  3. Florida - 3
  4. Georgia - 2
  5. Illinois - 4
  6. Massachusetts - 2
  7. New Hampshire – 2
  8. New York - 6
  9. North Carolina - 1
  10. Oregon - 3
  11. Rhode Island - 2
  12. Washington state - 27 (includes 9 fatalities)
  13. Wisconsin - 1

Live updates: Coronavirus outbreak spreads across the world - CNN

Ugh.... already 10 pages behind again!!

Where’s the “PAUSE BUTTON??” :confused:

I have to step away today to tend to things recently neglected due to my NEED to keep up with this thread!

Everyone continues to provide new and relevant information at lightning speed, and I hate skipping a single post!

I hate the fact that a simple bathroom break can throw me behind! But I can’t express enough how much I appreciate this thread, and all of you that have contributed in SO many ways!!

Looking forward to all of the invaluable updates upon my return! Just hoping I won’t need to take up speed reading to get caught up! lol

And a special thanks to @Henry2326 for his/her nonstop commitment to keeping us updated with so much incoming information!

ETA - I’m starting to believe that @Henry2326 is actually AI !!

Because he/she is a POSTING MACHINE!!!

ETA 2 - 12 pages behind! Double Ugh..... :confused:

CNN on Twitter

Rather than shaking hands, Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts is encouraging people to bump elbows to help stop the spread of the coronavirus. The governor demonstrated it in a video of himself greeting people leaving quarantine at a facility in Omaha. cnn.it/2VKG6ha

This is funny to me idk why. MOO

Wishing you a fabulous trip. Stay well.

We will be going again in the fall (late October) and I def hope this virus outbreak is nothing but a distant memory before then.

Time for desperate measures by our government.

Dang it. Declare martial law for a month.
No flights international or domestic
No passenger trains
No long distance buses or city buses
No taxis
Close all schools and universities
No sporting events
No concerts
No mega church services. (God will hear you praying from home.)
No amusement parks
No conferences

We do not need daily reports on where the virus has spread, how many are affected, or how many died. We have been informed to wash our hands and keep them away from our face. And we know a vaccine is a year or more away.

We need action. Yes. There will be yelling and screaming, "You can't do this." Better a drastic solution than allowing movements and more deaths. People will get over it.

No kidding. If was just a few days ago that someone was tossing around the word "hoax" to describe the deadly virus with no known origin or cure that is now seeding on the west coast.

I wish we had solid leadership right now, and more transparency.
My friends on FB think it's just a hoax to cancel music fests like Coachella and SXSW.
They don't think it's any different than the common cold or flu.
My acquaintances in Seattle are refusing to self isolate/quaratine because they think it's a mere suggestion, not a request.
So many people think it's a hoax with crisis actors, that no one died it's just for media ratings or it's just the flu and it's exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc