Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new concern:
With the test kits finally arriving in labs, we enter a new phase.
Now, we are finding a shortage of a critical component required for the test to run (RNA extraction kits).
These commercial kits are quickly becoming out of stock. @QIAGEN @CDCgov
Michael Mina on Twitter

We can have all of the test kits we need, but they rely on our ability to get the RNA out of a sample first, for testing.
As this epidemic becomes in full swing, many additional reagents or parts that we never usually question the availability of may become difficult to find.
Michael Mina on Twitter

Good grief...how come other 'lesser' nations are not having these problems?! not hearing anything about SKorea or anywhere else having trouble with reagents...

It's good to be able to be out in the sunshine, but not all live in places where there are enough of sunshine during the winter. In Sweden it's only between April/May to August/September that the sunshine is strong enough to be a source for vitamin D.

To add to that, during the winter of 2019/2020 (that wasn't a winter where I live), we had only 19 hours! of sunshine in November, 34 hours in December, and 39 hours in January. February was better with 92 hours, Februari 2020 - Fortsatt mycket milt i söder | SMHI , but still, today it's gray and misty outside, and I live in a city that usually is on the top of the sunshine league in Sweden.
Yes, and some people live in places where the sun is too strong. I am assuming people know their limits....and limitations.

But if you can get sun, get it. And the body stores it for awhile, so make hay while the sun shines! ;)

Or not.

jmo

Speaking of Florida - What will happen when the snowbirds return to their home states? Several of our neighbors spend winters in Florida, usually from early January through mid-April. So far, Michigan has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, but I worry about what happens when those who winter in Florida return home in a few weeks.

We have snowbirds here in central FL, too. Literally thousands of them, with NY, OH, IN and MI being well-represented.

They tend to be more out and about than full-time residents. They often consider themselves on vacation, and cram in as much fun as they can.

For me, it is the uncertainty that's unsettling. I usually go to yoga on Monday, but the thought of lying on a mat with 70 other people is not appealing.

On Monday, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said the government would pump more money to mitigate the impact of the outbreak.

He also said Italy would overcome the virus if people followed the rules, adding that the sacrifices required were for the good of all.

Coronavirus: Italy in 'massive shock therapy' pledge to offset virus impact

Yeah I don't know about Italians but I'm running into a lot of people who think asking folks to not go on cruises, to stay away from Disneyland is a bridge too far for them to 'sacrifice'

It's good to be able to be out in the sunshine, but not all live in places where there are enough of sunshine during the winter. In Sweden it's only between April/May to August/September that the sunshine is strong enough to be a source for vitamin D...

Northern tier states like Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maine, among several others have limited sunshine during winter months. When there are sunny days, it's often too cold to be outdoors for an extended period of time. I've been taking a Vitamin D supplement for almost 10 years because my levels were low. I take supplemental Vitamin B12, as well.

Last edited:
Cruise ships must prove there are no coronavirus cases on board before entering Puerto Rico

Cruise ships attempting to enter Puerto Rico must first certify that there are no coronavirus cases on board. “Any cruise ship that intends to enter Puerto Rico has to confirm that it has no passengers on board with suspicious cases and meets the federal government's symptoms and travel history criteria regarding Covid-19."

The US territory currently has no confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

Live updates: Amid coronavirus fears and oil-price drop global markets plunge - CNN

Good for you Puerto Rico

Long one that I'll listen to tomorrow during my 6 hour car road trip...

Johns Hopkins Experts Brief Capitol Hill on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Director of Operations at Johns Hopkins- and we'll hear from

1. Infectious disease expert on pandemics and biological threats
  2. researcher who created the worldwide map used to track (yeah! we use that one here)
  3. expert in flu and other zoonotic infections
  4. health system epidemiologist and infection control expert
  5. nurse epi to streamline approaches ...and care

Hopefully these experts instilled a sense of urgency in the legislative branch that is completely missing in the executive branch of American govt...

Florida Theme Parks Keep Eye on Virus as Spring Break Nears
but VP Pence said:

Over the weekend, Vice President Mike Pence stressed it was safe for healthy Americans to travel, noting "one of our favorite places to go when my children were young and even before my children came was in Orlando."

"Whether it be Disney World, whether it be other destination, whether it be cruise ships … those most at risk are seniors with serious or chronic underlying health conditions."

"Otherwise Americans can confidently travel in this country," Pence said at a meeting with cruise industry officials in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday.

__

the above statement is exactly why people are not cancelling cruises or trips to Disney. :mad:

And then they complain when there's a cruise ship wanting to come ashore with its sick and infected passengers because they like the confirmed cases figures nice and low where they are, they don't want them to increase due to a pesky cruise ship.

</sarcasm>

A good read in the Lancet about how country-based #COVID19 mitigation strategies may favourably alter the course of the epidemic.
Several good points (below)
https://t.co/6q6axqySOc

"Personal, rather than government action, in western democracies might be the most important issue. Early self-isolation, seeking medical advice remotely unless symptoms are severe, and social distancing are key."

"...strategies are also needed for reducing household transmission, supporting home treatment and diagnosis, and dealing with the economic consequences of absence from work."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30567-5/fulltext

Can't really do anything else as American govt clearly values we the economy over we the people...but then, a whole lot of 'the people' sure seem locked into that mode as well so something about getting the govt a people deserve...

snipped

I am printing this right now. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

The hoarding and snatching (often unnecessary) items is not healthy. Sharing and making sure everyone has what they need, not just yourself, is what I think we need to commit to.

I don't want to just survive. I want to survive as a decent person.

THANK YOU for sharing this. Totally brightens my day, puts a spring in my step, encourages me that there are others thinking - and behaving - like this.

Washing hands, sacred act.

jmo
Anyone who needs a roll of TP or a granola bar is welcome to it from our home. We didn't really hoard that much anyway and there are only 2 of us in the house now. Empty nesters for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow