Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Virus Doctor Says High Blood Pressure Is Major Death Risk

Patients with hypertension appear to be at a higher risk of dying from the coronavirus, said a top Chinese intensive care doctor who’s been treating critically ill patients since mid-January.

While there’s been no published research yet explaining why, Chinese doctors working in Wuhan have noticed that infected patients with that underlying illness are more likely to slip into severe distress and die.
I’m toast for this and so many other reasons if I get this.

Yikes! My husband has hbp, under control with meds. It’s not clear in the article if high risk includes treated and untreated hypertension.
Yes I'm wondering about that too, controlled vs uncontrolled hypertension. My mother had very high blood pressure diagnosed last year. She's on medication now and her BP is finally normal (or at least at a safe level) so I'm really hoping that reduces her risk.

Yes I'm wondering about that too, controlled vs uncontrolled hypertension. My mother had very high blood pressure diagnosed last year. She's on medication now and her BP is finally normal (or at least at a safe level) so I'm really hoping that reduces her risk.
Same with my DH. His blood pressure is under control so hope that is good news. For your Mother too.

Well isn't this promising.....went to my doc last Thursday for a prescription renewal. He made a mistake in the dosage. I called the office just now to alert them.
Doctor called in sick today......he never gets sick.

I've just realized that my idea of keeping a log of who I've interacted with each day -- my own personal "contact tracing" if you will -- is good for more than protecting others if I end up sick -- it's also a good way for me to have documentation of who I had contact with in case THEY end up sick.

I know that sounds obvious but it hadn't occurred to me until just now.

So if, for example, the lady who I see at the yarn store every few weeks, and who travels to conferences and events related to her work, ends up sick, I will know exactly which days I was in the same room as her and whether that was before or after her travel, etc.

I've been making a daily note of my contacts for about a week now. I'm not in an area of known CV cases (yet) but it's only a matter of time. I decided it would be best to establish the habit now. It takes a whopping ten seconds or so each day.

Just a quick note that there are some good apps for your phone that my husband just shared with me to help you remember - I was at grocery store X at this time on this date, etc. I just started keeping track in case it becomes necessary.

Android and Apple - Diaro
Apple only - Momento Diary Journal

High blood pressure: The worrying dangers that could arise if you get coronavirus

Those who have passed away from the coronavirus have largely been the elderly with pre-existing conditions. These pre-existing conditions could be heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. The deadly virus could also raise person’s pressure even more. In a study with Science Daily, respiratory diseases such as the coronavirus and how it affects high blood pressure was investigated. The study noted: “Pulmonary hypertension is a type of high blood pressure that affects the lungs of both animals and people. When tiny vessels in the lungs become narrowed or blocked, it becomes harder for blood to flow through and can cause the heart to weaken or fail.”

High blood pressure forces the heart to work harder to pump blood to the rest of the body.

This causes part of the heart to thicken. A thickened left ventricle weakens the heart and increases a person of having a heart attack, heart failure or a sudden cardiac death.

Heart.org said: “For people with underlying heart issues, the concern are serious to warn patients about the potential increased risk of the coronavirus and to encourage additional, reasonable precautions.

Someone with an underlying heart issue might have a less robust immune system.

People’s immune systems weakens as they age regardless, however, those with a weakened immune system and suffering with a medical condition such as high blood pressure put themselves at grave risk when it comes to the coronavirus, according to experts.

I've just realized that my idea of keeping a log of who I've interacted with each day -- my own personal "contact tracing" if you will -- is good for more than protecting others if I end up sick -- it's also a good way for me to have documentation of who I had contact with in case THEY end up sick.

I know that sounds obvious but it hadn't occurred to me until just now.

So if, for example, the lady who I see at the yarn store every few weeks, and who travels to conferences and events related to her work, ends up sick, I will know exactly which days I was in the same room as her and whether that was before or after her travel, etc.

I've been making a daily note of my contacts for about a week now. I'm not in an area of known CV cases (yet) but it's only a matter of time. I decided it would be best to establish the habit now. It takes a whopping ten seconds or so each day.

Do you have an android phone. Do you know that you can go into your phone in an area and it will tell you where you have been/arrival time/leave time/address?

Just a quick note that there are some good apps for your phone that my husband just shared with me to help you remember - I was at grocery store X at this time on this date, etc. I just started keeping track in case it becomes necessary.

Android and Apple - Diaro
Apple only - Momento Diary Journal

Do you have an android phone. Do you know that you can go into your phone in an area and it will tell you where you have been/arrival time/leave time/address?

That's great that there are phone apps to help people track.

Personally I don't have a smartphone so this doesn't apply to me.

Plus, since I live in a small town, I am noting not just where I went but who I saw -- as in individual names. I don't know the names of every person who works at the grocery store, or every waitress at the cafe, but I know most of them. And noting that I went to the yarn store is helpful but it's even more helpful to note specifically who was there, both staff and customers, when I was there.

( BBM)

Two points:
1. Never think that a pediatric neurosurgeon is going to understand ANYTHING about viral pathogenicity or epidemiology. ( or federal handling of housing, for that matter)

2. "It's a little simple" is exactly the problem with the political handling of this complex process. Ignoring the advice of scientists and healthcare professionals is "A Little Simple"

Another thing to think about with school closings, some kids get free lunches (and sometimes breakfasts) at school. Some families rely on that food. I hope school districts/states consider that when closing local schools.

In addition to the childcare burden, there also might be a food burden if kids aren't in school.

jmo

Good catch. Also, many school districts get ovm't funding on the rolls of kids in school after lunch (learned this during snow days)

Yes, I agree, leaders are supposed to be like ducks, calm above water, and paddling like heck below. If they can put on a calm face, it projects on the citizens. We do not need mass hysteria.

Also, does it matter what words we use. I see people asking why it's not labeled a pandemic, yet I don't know why it matters what we call it?

MOO

We do not need mass hysteria, AGREED. That is why the mainstream media needs to stop spreading 24 hour fear.
It may be labeled a pandemic soon, unless agencies like the CDC and WHO are concerned about people on their panel being reviewed and exposed?

=------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additonal info updated from older post.

Candidate to Lead the W.H.O. Accused of Covering Up Epidemics
Candidate to Lead the W.H.O. Accused of Covering Up Epidemics

“A little known specialized bond created in 2017 by the World Bank may hold the answer as to why U.S. and global health authorities have declined to label the global spread of the novel coronavirus a “pandemic.”

Those bonds, now often referred to as “pandemic bonds,” were ostensibly intended to transfer the risk of potential pandemics in low-income nations to financial markets.”

See:
Is Wall Street Behind the Delay in Declaring the Coronavirus Outbreak a “Pandemic”?
or you can read it here:
Is Wall Street Behind The Delay In Declaring The Covid-19 Outbreak A "Pandemic"?

Oh, guess who is current Director-General for the World Health Organization? That would be Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who was who was appointed on 1 July 2017. [hum] You may remember that he was the Ethiopian Minister of Health, who managed NOT to notice a major outbreak of Cholera, that killed thousands of his fellow countrymen during his tenure as Minister of Health.

Good catch. Also, many school districts get ovm't funding on the rolls of kids in school after lunch (learned this during snow days)
I'm on the fence about school closings. I understand why people want schools to close, but I see lots of problems with it.

Perhaps the kids could break every hour and wash hands? Or increase recess time (heaven forbid!) so kids are not only outdoors in the fresh air keeping their lungs healthy with exercise, but can spread out a bit so not face-to-face all day in a closed classroom. And, teach personal hygiene so they all know how to cough and sneeze without spewing all over like lots of kids do.

I know I'm a lone voice in thinking the kids - and community members - are safer with schools open. I'm sure people will reply that recess is bad ... ;)

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members