Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Health Officials Confirm 7th Coronavirus Case in Illinois LOCAL NEWS NBC CHICAGO
Health Officials Confirm 7th Coronavirus Case in Illinois

What is the statistically odds that one will catch the virus based on the 2.8 million population in Chicago compared to the 7 confirmed cases. Also the statistics probability of catching it considering there are 12 million in the state of Illinois.
Curious about the state by state probability numbers if anyone knows or has links to multiple unbiased sites
thanks

Trump to weigh coronavirus stimulus options Monday — including paid sick leave

White House and administration officials will present President Donald Trump with a set of economic stimulus options as early as this afternoon, including a plan to offer paid sick leave to those affected by the coronavirus and assistance for the hardest hit industries.

Despite Trump's continued downplaying of the effects of the virus — tweeting that a steep drop in oil prices is good for consumers, and blaming the news media for the plunging stocks — advisers are preparing to brief the president when he returns to the White House from a Florida fundraiser on a menu of options to shore up the economy,

Coronavirus updates live: World markets tumble as anxiety grows in D.C.

‘We’re going to have more deaths.’ Coronavirus vs. the flu. Influenza kills more people so everyone is overreacting, right? Wrong — here’s why

Quotes from article:

Coronavirus. It’s just like the flu, isn’t it?

Hundreds of thousands of people die of the flu every year, and people need to calm down. In the U.S., people are stocking up on oat milk. Everyone should wash their hands for 20 seconds, elbow bump, stop buying face masks because they don’t protect against the virus, note that airplane air is filtered 20 to 30 times an hour, just avoid cruise ships, and relax. Right?

That appears to be the advice of some exasperated Americans on Twitter and Facebook FB, -4.99%in recent days who despair at the long lines outside Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods AMZN, -3.51%,and the panic buying and empty shelves at Costco COST, -1.26%. “Toilet paper is golden in an apocalypse,” one customer told MYNorthwest.com

‘This is additive, not in place of. Yes, the flu kills thousands of people every year, but we’re going to have more deaths.’

— —Amesh Adalja, a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America

Studies, however, suggest the differences between flu and coronavirus are more nuanced than some folks suggest. In fact, health professionals point out some very important differences between the COVID-19 epidemic and other viruses like the flu. For a start, there is no vaccine for COVID-19 and it could take many months or years. What’s worse, doctors fear the virus will mutate.

Why? The first known person was reported to have contracted the virus on Dec. 1 in China. Today, it’s spread to nearly 100 countries. COVID-19 is still a relatively unknown and experts advise changing your behavior to prevent its spread. The New York Health Department said people should avoid taking mass transit, if possible. Italy has effectively quarantined one quarter of the population.

“It’s a little simple to think the novel coronavirus is just like flu,” [BBM] Amesh Adalja, senior scholar at the John Hopkins Center for Health Security and a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America, told MarketWatch. “We don’t want another flu. This is additive, not in place of. Yes, the flu kills thousands of people every year, but we’re going to have more deaths.”

There are some 1 billion cases of influenza worldwide; up to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year, tens of thousands of deaths in the U.S., and 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide. Seasonal flu has a fatality rate of less than 1%; Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that figure is closer to 0.1%.

Influenza and COVID-19 come from a different family of viruses. COVID-19, also called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 or SARS-CoV-2 is brand new. Influenza has been around for more than 2,000 years. Scientists say the “novel influenza A viruses” in humans lead to a pandemic, approximately once every 40 years. But, again, flu vaccines exist.

To put that in perspective: The worst flu season on record in the U.S. (2017 to 2018) outside of a pandemic killed approximately 80,000 Americans. The four other coronavirus strains that already exist are responsible for around 25% of our common colds, Adalja added. “But it doesn’t seem like there is cross immunity with this coronavirus as there are with the other coronaviruses.”

While estimates vary on coronavirus fatality rates, they still remain far higher than the flu. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director general of the World Health Organization, recently said that COVID-19 has a fatality rate of 3.4%. That’s more than previous estimates of between 1.4% and 2%, although some observers say his estimates were skewed by the higher death rate in China.

‘Because there’s no proven therapy or vaccine, as coronavirus spreads it threatens to put a much greater burden on health systems than flu does.’

— —Antigone Barton, editor of ScienceSpeaks

COVID-19 rates may fall closer to those of the flu, assuming many more people are infected. JAMA released this paper analyzing data from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention on 72,314 COVID-19 cases in mainland China last month, the largest such sample of this kind. The sample’s overall case-fatality rate was 2.3%, in line with the earlier estimates.

Fatality rates also vary dramatically, depending on the individuals. No deaths occurred in those aged 9 years and younger, but cases in those aged 70 to 79 years had an 8% fatality rate and those aged 80 years and older had a fatality rate of 14.8%. The rate was 49% among critical cases, and elevated among those with preexisting conditions to between 5.6% and 10.3%, depending on the condition.

“While both the flu and COVID-19 may be transmitted in similar ways, there is also a possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near,” Lisa Maragakis, senior director of infection prevention at Johns Hopkins Medicine in Baltimore, Md., wrote. [BBM]

Of course, there are similarities between influenza and COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. Both viruses are not treatable with antibiotics, and they have almost identical symptoms — fever, coughing, night sweats, aching bones, tiredness and, in the more severe cases of both viruses, nausea and even diarrhea. They can be spread by touch, coughing and sneezing.

Other differences between coronavirus and influenza lie in what we don’t know. Adults with the flu, which has an average incubation period of 2 days, can infect others 24 hours before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. The incubation period for coronavirus is estimated at between 2 and 14 days, but little is currently known about its period of contagiousness.

Coronavirus appears to be transmitted with ease to about 2.3 people by each person infected in the community and those who are asymptomatic, said Antigone Barton, editor of ScienceSpeaks. “Because there’s no proven therapy or vaccine, as coronavirus spreads, it threatens to put a much greater burden on health systems than flu does, and greater than most or many are prepared for.”[BBM]

I'm skeptical because it can't predict side effects. Potentially lethal ones

JMO
Im already starting to debate with myself if I want to be the first in line to get an available Vaccine for this new Coronavirus when it first becomes available.

I am beginning to debate with myself about it. Do I want to be the first wave to trust and take the Vaccine or do I wait a little bit to make sure we dont start hearing about reactions or complications from the new vaccine.

I guess its one of those things where we will all have to make an individual decision on when or if we will go and get the first Vaccines for this when they finally become available.

Drive-through coronavirus testing is underway in a hospital garage lot in Seattle

Employees at the University of Washington’s UW Medicine System can get tested without leaving their cars at the drive-through clinic if they have symptoms.

The virus has already claimed 17 lives in the Seattle area and infected at least 83 people.

Seattle Health Care System Offers Drive-Through Coronavirus Testing For Workers

Coronavirus live updates: fourth death confirmed in UK, as head of New York's airports tests positive

And exactly how do they know if they are sick or not unless they test everyone .

Only those who tested positive for COVID-19 will be detained in previously-determined facilities (I think it's 21 passengers/crew members). There certainly could be other impacted pax or crew who aren't showing symptoms yet. If they're not going to held in quarantine, G-d only knows what will happen when they return to their homes.

We do not need mass hysteria, AGREED. That is why the mainstream media needs to stop spreading 24 hour fear.
It may be labeled a pandemic soon, unless agencies like the CDC and WHO are concerned about people on their panel being reviewed and exposed?

=------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additonal info updated from older post.

Candidate to Lead the W.H.O. Accused of Covering Up Epidemics
Candidate to Lead the W.H.O. Accused of Covering Up Epidemics

“A little known specialized bond created in 2017 by the World Bank may hold the answer as to why U.S. and global health authorities have declined to label the global spread of the novel coronavirus a “pandemic.”

Those bonds, now often referred to as “pandemic bonds,” were ostensibly intended to transfer the risk of potential pandemics in low-income nations to financial markets.”

See:
Is Wall Street Behind the Delay in Declaring the Coronavirus Outbreak a “Pandemic”?
or you can read it here:
Is Wall Street Behind The Delay In Declaring The Covid-19 Outbreak A "Pandemic"?

Oh, guess who is current Director-General for the World Health Organization? That would be Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who was who was appointed on 1 July 2017. [hum] You may remember that he was the Ethiopian Minister of Health, who managed NOT to notice a major outbreak of Cholera, that killed thousands of his fellow countrymen during his tenure as Minister of Health.

I understand the seriousness of disease. I definitely am not trying to stir the pot and cause drama. I just want people to become more aware of issues like this and how we have to keep close on on these individuals we put our trust into. Why isn't Dr. Ghebreyeus in jail? Covering up epidemics to me which leads to 1000's upon 1000's of deaths should put someone in jail for life. That behavior is sociopathic and or psychopathic and is similiar to serial killers

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio addresses coronavirus outbreak live

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is speaking on the deadly coronavirus at a press briefing, joined by New York City Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza. The briefing comes two days after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the state continues to rise. Watch de Blasio’s press briefing live here.

Have major fast food chains (who tend to pay the least in wages and offer the least time off) made any recent media statements about allowing workers to have paid time off when they are feeling ill? Many people in low paying jobs rely on every penny to survive, and people tend to come into work sick because they can't allow their livelihood to be threatened and not be able to pay the bills or feed their children.

Answered my own question....sort of...
Can Coronavirus Be Transmitted Through Food? Here's What You Should Know.
Can Coronavirus Be Transmitted Through Food? Here's What You Should Know.
Experts say not to panic about food safety in restaurants and grocery stores and whether you need to stockpile

Israel will force anyone arriving in the country, from any part of the world, to self-isolate for at least 14 days.

The move has also been interpreted domestically as a measure to avoid irking the country’s close ally and benefactor in Washington, Donald Trump. Israel already requires travellers arriving from more than a dozen countries to spend two weeks in home isolation, effectively killing off incoming tourism.

Following outbreaks in the US, pressure has been building to add the country to the list. But rather than extending the rules specifically on US travellers, and risk an angry backlash from the White House, Israel might broaden its policy out to the entire planet.

Netanyahu spoke with US Vice President Mike Pence on Sunday, after Israeli media reported the country was considering barring visitors from parts of the US, such as New York and California.

Coronavirus live updates: fifth death confirmed in UK, as head of New York's airports tests positive

Health Officials Confirm 7th Coronavirus Case in Illinois LOCAL NEWS NBC CHICAGO
Health Officials Confirm 7th Coronavirus Case in Illinois

What is the statistically odds that one will catch the virus based on the 2.8 million population in Chicago compared to the 7 confirmed cases. Also the statistics probability of catching it considering there are 12 million in the state of Illinois.
Curious about the state by state probability numbers if anyone knows or has links to multiple unbiased sites
thanks

JMO
Its a good question and obviously will be very low for some areas if they are just now identifying their first cases. The big unknown is how many cases are there really out there and just not identified because some people may have a milder case of it and never went to a doctor or hospital, but could have it and could be spreading it to others.

The identified "Clusters" are especially of concern because we have seen a fairly large percent of the cluster become infected. Like the Nursing Home in Washington, and the Princess Cruise ship. But for cities in general, its a huge unknown and I dont think we will ever really be able to truly tell how many actually ended up with this, if the milder symptom people never get identified or go to doctors or hospitals.

That's great that there are phone apps to help people track.

Personally I don't have a smartphone so this doesn't apply to me.

Plus, since I live in a small town, I am noting not just where I went but who I saw -- as in individual names. I don't know the names of every person who works at the grocery store, or every waitress at the cafe, but I know most of them. And noting that I went to the yarn store is helpful but it's even more helpful to note specifically who was there, both staff and customers, when I was there.

Got ya. What was interesting in China, is that folks could opt in on an app that would show if you crossed paths with an infected person. That would never happen so quickly/if ever in the US due to privacy laws. China, MEH, they track ya. But was an interesting usage for AI/apps/GPS for the disease used in China which iirc we discussed in thread #3 during the outbreak.

JMO
Its a good question and obviously will be very low for some areas if they are just now identifying their first cases. The big unknown is how many cases are there really out there and just not identified because some people may have a milder case of it and never went to a doctor or hospital, but could have it and could be spreading it to others.

The identified "Clusters" are especially of concern because we have seen a fairly large percent of the cluster become infected. Like the Nursing Home in Washington, and the Princess Cruise ship. But for cities in general, its a huge unknown and I dont think we will ever really be able to truly tell how many actually ended up with this, if the milder symptom people never get identified or go to doctors or hospitals.

Yes, good point on clusters. Nursing homes and Cruise ships are definite concern. Even without the recent coronavirus, those places seem more susceptible to disease.
Is this occurring on the larger Cruise lines mainly?
For the longest time I wanted to do a 30 day world cruise but every year I am reminded by friends who return from cruises of how they catch colds or get sick. Perhaps my immune is stronger. One day, Ill venture out on one.

( BBM)

Two points:
1. Never think that a pediatric neurosurgeon is going to understand ANYTHING about viral pathogenicity or epidemiology. ( or federal handling of housing, for that matter)

2. "It's a little simple" is exactly the problem with the political handling of this complex process. Ignoring the advice of scientists and healthcare professionals is "A Little Simple"

i used to admire Dr Carson but he is in way over his head on this one

JMO
Im already starting to debate with myself if I want to be the first in line to get an available Vaccine for this new Coronavirus when it first becomes available.

I am beginning to debate with myself about it. Do I want to be the first wave to trust and take the Vaccine or do I wait a little bit to make sure we dont start hearing about reactions or complications from the new vaccine.

I guess its one of those things where we will all have to make an individual decision on when or if we will go and get the first Vaccines for this when they finally become available.

Perhaps be comforted that the US will likely be the last country to approve a vaccine for the widespread useage due to regulatory and red tape.

By that time, we'll have heard about the other countries successes. I'm focused on treatments if I get it as being sooner.

Dow tanks by 2,000 points, White House invites Wall Street executives to meet

The White House is inviting Wall Street executives to discuss the response to the new coronavirus outbreak.

President Donald Trump is expected to attend the meeting, which is scheduled to be held Wednesday. Invitations were being sent out as of Monday afternoon.

The meeting was arranged amid a punishing market rout spurred by fears about the impact of the coronavirus. The Dow Jones Industrial Average tanked 2,000 Monday afternoon, on pace for its worst day since December 2008.

Coronavirus updates live: World markets tumble as anxiety grows in D.C.

JMO

We can add to that the numerous people who, for weeks now, have been falling by the wayside with ‘seasonal flu’ and common-or-garden chest infections and pneumonia, who still aren’t being tested because they haven’t travelled or knowingly been in contact with a confirmed case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member