Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Family of man, 60, who became the third British coronavirus victim to die claim they were barred from saying goodbye because he was in isolation, as the death toll hits six

He told BBC Bangla: 'Obviously I could not believe it because two months ago this thing didn't even exist and today it took away my father.

'It took me quite a long time to process the whole thing that I'm not going to be able to see him any more.

'When they broke the news to me that he passed away, obviously I could not believe it. We all burst into tears.

'I can't express how it feels to know that I won't be able to see him again.'

Family of man who became third British coronavirus victim to die claim they couldn't say goodbye | Daily Mail Online

I feel so sorry for all the families who have lost loved ones. It is horrendous they can’t say goodbye but I understand why.

Shades of Wuhan, moo.

I'm debating as well. I have been going to the gym, once a week. I wipe the machines before and after, I go when way less people are there and I don't get close to them. I understand it's still a risk and I may change that. I have a yoga class scheduled tomorrow morning that I was going to attend, but listening to the way you worded the risk vs consequences, plus the temporariness of it all...I believe I will cancel and practice on my own living room floor.

are you paid for your janitorial services? Lol
I am exercising at home too. I feel like we (Kentuckians) are in the calm before the storm.....and the storm front is slowly rollin’ in. My point is we have a lot of people in my local area that are not isolating as they should, people that are known to be exposed via Cynthiana. After living in a small town 30 years you know people & know what’s going on. It is quite frightening.
I was thinking earlier what will happen once it hits the Toyota plant? Their line workers come from all over the state. Inevitably it will happen, imo.
I think about the restaurants and mostly student body employed in them, young adults oblivious to the situation or care none.
Daily our gov’ is preparing us, reminding us twice daily that many more cases are expected, urging us to live normally.

i am just trying to figure out simple stuff, like should my husband and i go out
for breakfast- we are in our 70s. with medical conditions---i have asthma and he has
hypertension--- i love going out for breakfast-- i heard today a waitress at a waffle house,
maybe in Kentucky, tested positive for Covid --- i also heard an employee at a walmart
tested positive as well----we go to walmart quite a bit here in Florida--- it is hard to
just stay home all the time----

i dont plan to take a cruise or fly -- i just want to do some routine stuff but
as we know the threat of this deadly virus must be considered when making
plans

No. I would not worry. Imo
But... drink bottled water and only Cooked food. Cooked!
Experience from 3 days down with horrible food sickness. :)

I know I am joining this forum very late and probably asking annoying questions. Sorry! Supposed to fly into the Los Cabos airport in a few days and then stay a resort in San Jose Del Cabo. Would you worry about the cruise ship with coronavirus that stopped in Cabo? Grand Princess I think Feb 21. So 14 days are up, but are there many test kits in Cabo San Lucas? Would you worry about a resort in SJDC that is 50 minutes from the port in Cabo San Lucas?

I am youngish and healthy so hoping to still go!

Ive been talking to my college students about sheltering in place, skip the outing and socializing. Don't come home for spring break, don't travel to Kentucky for that spring break college trip. Don't go to the mall... the responsible things that other adults should/shouldn't be doing. Be informed and prepared.
I worry about the health care providers who are being exposed unknowingly and the impending expected crisis that hop[itals will face. At first we may not have known how lightening fast this would spread but now that we do pay attention and act accordingly. Plus wash your hands~lol
They are adults, they may not have all of the wisdom of age but they have a good education and must have some common sense that would apply here.
It is the younger children who I hope do not have to suffer fear or loss.
JMO
I'm confused what the responsible thing the college students are supposed to do. It's not as if they all have been tested, and it's entirely possible that most of them haven't been exposed at all!

So what's "responsible" mean in this case? Serious question, btw, not snark. I'm confused what the college students are expected to do to be responsible.

jmo

I think this may cover it. I was curious. Some may prefer more detail than the article provides. Googling has a lot.

While opinions vary on whether elderberry is helpful, most doctors believe it’s safe to have in small doses. But unripe or uncooked berries or flowers from the plant can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Larger amounts can cause even more serious poisoning.

Other things to keep in mind include:

• If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you shouldn’t take it.
  • Other parts of the elder tree, including the branches, twigs, leaves, roots, and seeds, are toxic. They contain a type of cyanide called glycoside.
  • People with immune problems might have reactions to elderberry.
  • If you get a rash or have trouble breathing after you have some, you might be allergic to it.
  • Because it’s a diuretic, be careful when you take it if you’re on medicines that make you pee more.
Talk with your doctor if you’re thinking about taking elderberry.

Elderberry: Health Benefits, Risks, Uses, Effectiveness
Thank you for posting this and for @musicaljoke 's post as well. I was about to do and say the same. Some over-the-counter and homeopathic remedies and approaches are not the best thing for 100% of us. We ought not to make things worse on ourselves by jumping on an unresearched bandwagon.

Coronavirus cases confirmed in Michigan

Michigan has its first confirmed cases of the coronavirus, state officials announced late Tuesday night.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and Chief Deputy Director for Health Dr. Joneigh Khaldun will address Michigan residents at 10:45 p.m.

According to the state, 39 individuals had tested negative for COVID-19 and 24 test results were pending as of Monday, the most recent figures provided...

Ive been talking to my college students about sheltering in place, skip the outing and socializing. Don't come home for spring break, don't travel to Kentucky for that spring break college trip. Don't go to the mall... the responsible things that other adults should/shouldn't be doing. Be informed and prepared.
I worry about the health care providers who are being exposed unknowingly and the impending expected crisis that hop[itals will face. At first we may not have known how lightening fast this would spread but now that we do pay attention and act accordingly. Plus wash your hands~lol
They are adults, they may not have all of the wisdom of age but they have a good education and must have some common sense that would apply here.
It is the younger children who I hope do not have to suffer fear or loss.
JMO
I hear ya, but who is to say the students have even been exposed. Most are likely healthy. Just seems like a waste to hunker down for weeks in the prime of life.....when you're perfectly healthy and well.

But, if keeping healthy people at home for a few weeks keeps other people healthy, well then, let's go for it.

I know I sound snarky and I really am not. Just baffled by just about everything with this virus. :)

jmo

True. I don’t know how long they have been running the tests, if they started slow or not. You would think they would be able to help with the standards and protocols in testing if they are the same kits. I thought I had read the US was using their own kits, which I can see the point of as well. I can think of all sorts of reasons it would take time in the US possibly versus other areas but hopefully now that they are testing routinely it will be faster and faster.
If they are shipping these samples to the CDC, how are they getting there? I’m imagining some priority overnight service or would they have to ship ground from all over the US? I’ve not done biologics only toxins which aren’t environmentally sensitive for the most part. Does the government run a speciality plane service or are these flying commercial? Maybe this is something I would rather not think about.

Well I’m not a scientist of any kind, so I can’t claim knowledge of how they make the kits and the toxins and such.

BUT- I do know that there has been one excuse after another given to the American people for why the US is not testing in responsible numbers for coronavirus. One excuse after another:

First it was faulty tests

Then it was that states weren’t allowed to test bc only CDC could

Then it was the CDC saying “hey, we have lots of capacity over here so we don’t know why states aren’t sending us samples!”

Then it was state-run labs that had to go through some process to get their own tests made and then approved by the federal government

Then it was Pence’s team saying we’d have 70,000 tests in the states by last Friday

Then it was CA Gov. Newsom saying last week that we (CA) still didn’t have enough but he showered praise on the federal govt and claimed many more tests were on their way “in coming days”

Then it was CA putting all their focus on the Grand Princess logistics

Then it was Gov Newsom saying today that we (CA) has tested a whopping 1,075 people. Total. But oh don’t worry, we’ve got more tests ramping up and more on the way.

When?!?
Fool me once.... The goalposts are continually moved and I can find absolutely no rational excuse.

This is MOO, but I think it’s an embarrassment. And negligent.

ok, rant over. I thank you all for attending :p

I'm confused what the responsible thing the college students are supposed to do. It's not as if they all have been tested, and it's entirely possible that most of them haven't been exposed at all!

So what's "responsible" mean in this case? Serious question, btw, not snark. I'm confused what the college students are expected to do to be responsible.

jmo

Students are notorious for going to class sick, tired and hungry simply because they are competitive.

It only takes one infected person at the university to spread the virus to everyone at the institution. Students move from classroom to classroom, building to building. Everything is teamwork. Everyone shares work surfaces, lab computers and equipment, and everyone brushes against each other in hallways at class time switch. Students eat in the same cafeteria. The only way to prevent the spread of the virus at a university is to move to remote learning before there are any infections.

Where do you get it, please? I’m going to the store in a few minutes, my neighbor just got the last two rolls of paper towels, lol, maybe they are stocking now.
Walmart carries it. I ordered mine this time from Amazon because my Walmart is often low on it, and for convenience as well, as I personally have become more of an online shopper over the last few years.
And to be clear, it’s not know to be a preventative, but more of an immune system booster / supplement to help your body fight off flu and other viruses.
FYI
Top Ten Natural Anti-Viral Agents - OAND
ELDERBERRY

The common black elderberry (Sambucus nigra) has long been used to reduce the length and severity of flu symptoms and studies. Taking 60 ml a day for adults and 30 ml for children helps to facilitate a complete recovery, often in three days. Elderberry extract binds to the tiny spikes on a virus protein that are used to pierce and invade healthy cells and destroys them so that the virus is ineffective. Elderberry may also be effective against the herpes simplex virus and some HIV strains.

Last edited:
College Students - My son attends University of Northern Georgia and works as a graduate intern in the Student Affairs office at one of their satellite campuses. On Monday, I asked him if the University has issued advisories about the virus. He said he hasn't seen anything so I sent him all the precautions and case locations in Georgia. Today I texted him and ask if there is any talk of going to online courses, he replied no and no one he has ran into is talking about the virus. So I text the list of all the colleges going to online courses and said Georgia needs to get their act together because Kentucky had 8 cases, Ohio 3 cases and Georgia had 17. He had no idea about the other colleges.
He is an intelligent, responsible adult, he works his internship hours , goes to classes at night, and runs the intramural sports program as part of his internship. Like most adults his age, he does not have cable or satellite service, he streams Netflix or Hulu. A lot of younger adults are uninformed about the virus due to their lifestyle.

I hear ya, but who is to say the students have even been exposed. Most are likely healthy. Just seems like a waste to hunker down for weeks in the prime of life.....when you're perfectly healthy and well.

But, if keeping healthy people at home for a few weeks keeps other people healthy, well then, let's go for it.

I know I sound snarky and I really am not. Just baffled by just about everything with this virus. :)

jmo

It is not about the students. It is the faculty and staff, who are older, more likely to catch the virus from the students and potentially die. The kids will probably be fine.

The staff probably were the ones who said that they didn't want to go to be in an environment with carriers.

Bunch of entitled wusses. I still have to go to work every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413