Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoping to see more information about this as I catch up:

From the above link:

• Bank of England governor Mark Carney said that the virus was "from an economic perspective, already bigger than SARS"
  • Postal operators in the US, China and elsewhere have said the suspension of flights is having a major impact on global flows of letters and parcels

In these situations, it's always best for the President to follow the advice of medical/public health experts. Physicians, pathologists, epidemiologists, etc. are the experts whose advice should be followed first and foremost. There are established, peer-reviewed protocols for dealing with these situations and no good leader should abandon them or take short cuts without expert advice.

I don't understand the rationale for cutting federal funding for the CDC and assistance to the WHO. It boggles the mind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...D1zoaf58U5-7sUfeA&_hsmi=83183455&utm_campaign

What We're Reading: Proposed Budget Cuts; Alzheimer Treatment Fails; CDC Confirms 13th US Coronavirus Case

From the first link:

“The budget request would trim funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by almost 16 percent. HHS officials said they want the CDC to focus on its core mission of preventing and controlling infectious diseases and on other emerging public health issues, such as opioid abuse.

Officials propose to take the money that would normally go to fund individual disease prevention activities and funnel it into a single block grant to states. The budget says chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes have common risk factors, and thus consolidating funds “can help magnify the public health impact.”

Although the budget reduces overall funding for global health, from $571 million to $532 million in 2021, officials carved out an extra $50 million for global health security, which are measures aimed at disease detection and emergencies. That bump comes at the expense of international HIV/AIDS programs, which is being cut by about $58 million.

The budget proposes to give the National Institutes of Health, the government’s biomedical research center in Bethesda, Md., a $38 billion budget for fiscal 2021, about $3 billion less than the total NIH has this fiscal year. Priorities at NIH under Trump include research on the opioid epidemic and stimulants such as methamphetamine, developing a universal flu vaccine, and the second year of a childhood cancer initiative.

The president’s other health priorities include more funding for Trump’s initiative to nearly wipe out HIV transmission in the United States by 2030, which would receive $716 million, shared by several agencies, in his 2021 budget.”

—-

From the second link:

“The proposed budget would also trim funding for the CDC by almost 16% and reduce overall funding for global health from $571 million to $532 million in 2021. The Trump administration in turn seeks to increase funding for research on quantum computing and artificial intelligence, with President Donald Trump additionally seeking to give NASA a multibillion-dollar grant to assist the agency in putting astronauts back on the moon.”

—-

The Chinese financial news website Caixin is reporting on new research which suggests that the incubation period for the coronavirus is as long as 24 days rather than the previously believed 14 days.

I would like to see this addressed at a WHO PC and/or by Dr. Fauci, if they agree it’s a possibility that the incubation period can be more than 14 days.

—-

In Depth: How Wuhan Lost Its Grip on Thousands of Suspected Coronavirus Cases - Caixin Global
Feb 07, 2020

—-

BBM

So I don’t understand this: If they test the cruise ship passengers and let them leave the ship if they test negative- while some others on board are testing positive- there is no way to know if the “negative patients” were actually exposed to the virus from the ones testing positive. Could they not still just be in the incubation period?

If you have merely acquired the virus, do you immediately test positive? Or does “incubation period” only mean the time to symptoms?

Clearly the virus is making it’s way through the cruise ship, as more and more people are testing positive and becoming symptomatic. This “14 day quarantine” is smoke and mirrors as far as I can see based on the data. MOO.

I saw something similar to what you just said in another article. I think it was one by @dixiegirl1035 a few pages back, marking spot to find it in case I dose off or get sidetracked.

Last edited:
Trying to find out how Thailand is doing, phuket and khao lak. Does anyone know? I just saw a friend of mine get back yesterday from a vacation there. No mention of viruses or precautions from her on airports....so strange.

ETA:

January 22 ( that is long time ago)

There have now been four reported cases of novel coronavirus infection found in Thailand - three Chinese tourists and one Thai.

Thailand News: First Thai infected with coronavirus as death toll rises to nine

this is exactly how it is going to spread IMHO, when tourists are not informed to take saftey precautions,

Last edited:
PETALING JAYA: The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned Malaysia and other countries that it is time to prepare for the possibility of wider transmission of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19).

WHO regional western Pacific director Dr Takeshi Kasai said the disease was at a “critical juncture”.
“While we must continue efforts to contain its spread, it is also time that all countries, including Malaysia, prepare for the possibility of wider transmission.

There are now reports of clusters of cases with no apparent link to China. The latest information suggests that the virus may be more transmissible than early data suggested.

“This does not mean that the virus will start spreading easily within Malaysia or elsewhere tomorrow, or perhaps ever – of course, we hope that it won't, ” he said in a statement Wednesday (Feb 12).

“This may mean planning to switch away from medically isolating or quarantining everyone who is infected, to encouraging people with mild illness to stay at home to recover – so that healthcare facilities do not become overwhelmed.

Steps must also be taken to ensure health facilities do not become places that amplify the virus' spread, infecting staff and other patients, ” he said.

Dr Kasai added that we have to be ready to make a switch away from testing all suspected cases and tracing the contacts of every person who has the virus, to instead applying limited testing capacity to monitor geographical spread and trends, then using this information to inform decisions about the most appropriate public health response.

He also said there was a need to consider the possibility of closing schools or postponing mass gatherings, if necessary, to reduce opportunities for the virus to spread.

Covid-19 in Malaysia: Be prepared for wider spread, warns WHO

Coronavirus poses greater global threat than terrorism, leading doctors warn

The coronavirus is "the worst enemy you can ever imagine" and poses a greater global threat than terrorism, the World Health Organisation has warned.

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned the first vaccine for COVID-19 was 18 months away, adding: "To be honest, a virus is more powerful in creating political, social and economic upheaval than any terrorist attack. It's the worst enemy you can imagine."

This is frightening to read I hope world leaders are taking it seriously.

Patient with coronavirus speaks out
Rebecca Frasure of Forest Grove, Ore., tested positive for the novel coronavirus after two weeks aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship, currently moored off Yokohama, Japan. She was removed from the ship Friday and taken to hospital in Tokyo, while her husband remained on the ship.

She was retested because she put on her form that she was taking pain relievers (advil) and then she tested positive.

Thank you for sharing.....common theme was reduce the death rate and focus on critical patients.

And still no answer why they are not doing full reporting anymore. The tracking has fallen off, and obvious they aren't turning in the numbers for the last three days, leading MSM to say that the disease is leveling off. NO IT IS NOT, it's just not being reported for the provinces anymore and they have redefined it appears to me MOO at Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline . I hope that WHO has the answer to why today during their presser.

Also, the WHO daily presser has usually been at 10 am eastern, but today it looks like it's changed to 11:30 eastern? Has anyone else seen different?

Rebecca Frasure of Forest Grove, Ore., tested positive for the novel coronavirus after two weeks aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship, currently moored off Yokohama, Japan. She was removed from the ship Friday and taken to hospital in Tokyo, while her husband remained on the ship.

She was retested because she put on her form that she was taking pain relievers (advil) and then she tested positive.
Thanks for sharing......Ironic......all the anti vaccine antics in Oregon, and here she is.....wonder if the anti-vaxers in Oregon will take this vaccine......

To cruise or not to cruise. DH and I need to make a decision about paying the final amount for our scheduled cruise in May (Ireland to Iceland and back). Very hesitant I confess.

Did you purchase travel insurance that would allow you to cancel your trip at any time and for any reason? Unless you have trip cancellation coverage, once you make final payment, you are pretty much committed to go on the cruise or risk losing everything. DH and I recently returned from a Caribbean cruise during which news of the Coronavirus epidemic broke. I can't tell you how glad I am that we are home! I wouldn't take the chance of being quarantined on a cruise ship.

This guy agrees with you.....

It's far too soon to say that the COVID-19 epidemic in China is in decline.

Figures released by the country's health ministry show there were 2,015 new cases in the last 24 hours, down from 2,478 the previous day and 3,062 the day before that.

But two days of declining numbers isn't long enough to point to a trend.

New cases have been fluctuating up and down from day to day for the last week: 3,694 to 3,143 to 3,399 to 2,656 to 3,062 to 2,478 to 2,015.

It may be that the travel restrictions extended Chinese New Year holiday and factory closures have interrupted the transmission, as they were designed to do.

But it may also be that reports of new cases take longer to filter through from some parts of China, so they are coming in batches.

Diseases also have a habit of flaring up again, just like a wildfire.

Some factories are beginning to reopen, which will give the virus new opportunities to spread.

Epidemiologists are extremely cautious about claiming victory over a disease.

Very interesting and glad to see that some cases are apparantly very mild cases.

IMO
I have conflicting thoughts about this interview.

On one hand, I am happy she is doing well and is in very good spirits and seems to have only a very mild case of it.

On the other hand, I cannot imagine others in her similar situation of being separated from their spouse, taken off the ship with no choice, taken and isolated to a hospital in a land that doesnt speak the same language, has a worse case with worse symptoms, etc.,
would be in such cheerful spirits as her.

Its not like she would want to say anything that would make her caregivers mad because she is still there and you dont want to upset your own caregivers. And you dont want to upset officials on the ship because her husband is still stuck on ship.

What would have been interesting is to also get to talk to her husband still stuck on the ship. If I caught her comments right, it sounds like the husband may not be so cheerful about the whole situation.

There was a few subtle comments she made that were a little concerning to me. How she downplayed that she had no real symptoms but when the interviewer dug further, she admitted she had a mild cough as they began to find out she had it. Kind of makes me wonder if she sugar coated some things because she is still stuck in the situation.

Just glad she is doing well and hopefully she fully recovers and hope her husband stays well. Its good to know that there are mild cases of this.

Maybe what would help research is to find out what allows some people to have very mild symptoms. It would be nice if all people only had mild attacks if they caught it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylvanianvicious