Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have Any of you started formulating plans for your household if this is reclassified into a pandemic?
Please say what and why?
For me, I live in San Diego, though on the out skirts in a smaller town.
If declared a pandemic, I would go buy food for us and animals to last up to two months.
Also medical supplies such as prescriptions, and sanitary goods. I would do that, the minute the CDC makes that statement.
Am I crazy? What do you think?

I was thinking one month, but maybe 2 months is better. The odd thing that is mentioned on pandemic prep websites is a transistor radio. I have to wonder whether it will become that extreme - where power and internet are gone.

IMO, I still won’t rule out the possibility that it escaped from a lab, but I totally agree that viruses don’t need human intervention to jump from animals to humans, and then human to human. The worst pandemics in recorded history didn’t have scientific intervention to get them started!

What’s really scary is the fact that China/bats aren’t the only places potentially pandemic viruses can emerge. There are viruses in the rain forests that humans have probably never encountered, but as the rain forests get destroyed/timbered, etc,.. the chances of encountering a potentially harmful one increases.

Then there’s this article from 2017...

There are diseases hidden in ice, and they are waking up

“Frozen permafrost soil is the perfect place for bacteria to remain alive for very long periods of time, perhaps as long as a million years. That means melting ice could potentially open a Pandora's box of diseases.”

"Permafrost is a very good preserver of microbes and viruses, because it is cold, there is no oxygen, and it is dark," says evolutionary biologist Jean-Michel Claverie at Aix-Marseille University in France. "Pathogenic viruses that can infect humans or animals might be preserved in old permafrost layers, including some that have caused global epidemics in the past."

This is a great piece, but without easily available air travel and 4,000 person cruise ships, a global pandemic is not really feasible in the time of the Permafrost formation (earliest 150 years ago, more likely 6,000 years ago)

Iran is not acknowledged as a leader in "the truth department". Sheesh. So many of these countries will fudge the truth, or, just downright lie for their perceived benefit. For sure, my opinion only.

Iran Disinfecting Public Places amid Coronavirus Outbreak - Society/Culture news - Tasnim News Agency

Iran’s Health Ministry official Mohsen Farhadi said arrangements have been made with medical universities across the country for the daily disinfection of airports, bus terminals, and means of public transit in cities such as buses and subways.

He assured people that they are being washed and disinfected with the newest methods and sanitizers.

The Iranian Health Ministry also said at least 785 out of thousands of people with flu-like symptoms going to hospitals and clinics have been placed under special medical care for further examination.

RSBM South Korea's update:
- 123 new cases, 2 new deaths - 75 new cases linked to church - 48 others with unknown link
- Total: 556 cases, 4 deaths
- 6,039 people being tested
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

To put today's South Korea (Feb 22) 556 cases into perspective, on January 22 the total amount of cases in China was 547 30 days ago. Today in China, 77,000 from those 547.

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

To put today's South Korea (Feb 22) 556 cases into perspective, on January 22 the total amount of cases in China was 547 30 days ago. Today in China, 77,000 from those 547.

Scary! If China is first, South Korea is second, Iran is third, Italy is fourth, we have a pandemic. Two weeks max to the announcement?

Pandemic would mean that the virus cannot be contained and is spreading globally.

I'd say this is a pretty good indication nobody trusts Iran

Kuwait to repatriate 700 citizens from Iran amid coronavirus outbreak

From CNN’s Sharif Paget in Atlanta
Kuwait has started operating charter flights to evacuate more than 700 passengers out of Iran, where five people have died from the novel coronavirus, Kuwait Airways and Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) said on Saturday.

“Kuwait Airways announces that, in coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Public Health and the General Administration of Civil Aviation, it has begun and will complete today [Saturday] … a number of private flights to evacuate more than 700 passengers from the Iranian city of Mashhad,” the airline said on its Twitter page.

The first of five flights carrying 130 passengers arrived in Kuwait International Airport on Saturday, KUNA reported.

10 new cases of coronavirus were reported in Iran on Saturday, according to the country's health ministry, as reported by the state news agency IRNA. This brings the country’s total to 28 cases.

Scary! If China is first, South Korea is second, Iran is third, Italy is fourth, we have a pandemic.

Well let’s not put the cart before the horse :D

Let’s wait for WHO and CDC to use the official “P” word.

As far as official classification of a pandemic goes...

(Marking spot, have a lot of catching up to do. I’m still blown away by the whole “Titanic” thing... :eek: )

I think tough luck. That's what China did - gave everyone time to travel to other cities, other countries and Hong Kong. Now Hong Kong is in trouble.

Hong Kong residents were angry that the government took so long to close the border. Closing the border after people in an infected area have had a chance to travel defeats the purpose of closing the border.

Yep, I said it early on in real time about Ms. Lam dropping the ball on that one, moo.

Nice to see you btw, Otto. :)

I'd say this is a pretty good indication nobody trusts Iran

Kuwait to repatriate 700 citizens from Iran amid coronavirus outbreak

From CNN’s Sharif Paget in Atlanta
Kuwait has started operating charter flights to evacuate more than 700 passengers out of Iran, where five people have died from the novel coronavirus, Kuwait Airways and Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) said on Saturday.

“Kuwait Airways announces that, in coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Public Health and the General Administration of Civil Aviation, it has begun and will complete today [Saturday] … a number of private flights to evacuate more than 700 passengers from the Iranian city of Mashhad,” the airline said on its Twitter page.

The first of five flights carrying 130 passengers arrived in Kuwait International Airport on Saturday, KUNA reported.

10 new cases of coronavirus were reported in Iran on Saturday, according to the country's health ministry, as reported by the state news agency IRNA. This brings the country’s total to 28 cases.

Excellent. This is the perfect opportunity to fast-track transmission to Kuwait. Hopefully Kuwait can contain the area if they import and control the virus. Perhaps the Middle East will be more aggressive with closing borders ... after leaving them open long enough for everyone to travel to other areas in the regions.

Have Any of you started formulating plans for your household if this is reclassified into a pandemic?
Please say what and why?
For me, I live in San Diego, though on the out skirts in a smaller town.
If declared a pandemic, I would go buy food for us and animals to last up to two months.
Also medical supplies such as prescriptions, and sanitary goods. I would do that, the minute the CDC makes that statement.
Am I crazy? What do you think?
You are not crazy....I'm already there. No way I'm waiting to fight my way through Wal-Mart.......and I'm not taking a chance of running out of toilet paper. Lol

Well let’s not put the cart before the horse :D

Let’s wait for WHO and CDC to use the official “P” word.

As far as official classification of a pandemic goes...

(Marking spot, have a lot of catching up to do. I’m still blown away by the whole “Titanic” thing... :eek: )

My cart is 2 miles ahead of the horse, and I realize that. Not sure why this scares me, but it does.

But at the point where they were declaring 547 confirmed cases, they were probably only testing those who came to hospital with symptoms....there were probably thousands out in the community who thought they had a cold or flu, or who were incubating and wouldn't turn up at hospital for another week.

Whereas the S. Korea numbers are from actually seeking out cases, regardless of their severity.

So they're not really directly comparable imho.

Last edited:
This is a great piece, but without easily available air travel and 4,000 person cruise ships, a global pandemic is not really feasible in the time of the Permafrost formation (earliest 150 years ago, more likely 6,000 years ago)

Perhaps the biologist is referring to the one that may have killed the dinosaurs? lol

I thought that reference was rather odd myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679