Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's worrying. If we're that short on masks, what other items are we short on?

Coronavirus: Concerns over Iran, Italy restrictions and hotel lockdown - BBC News

Posted at 13:0613:06
'It's not if, but when' coronavirus will hit the US - CDC
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the US's top public health agency, has warned Americans to brace themselves for a spread of coronavirus within the country.

"It's not so much a question of if this will happen in this country any more but a question of when this will happen," Dr Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunisation and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), said.

"We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad."

It's a change of tone for the CDC, which, until now, has largely been focused on efforts to stop the virus entering the country and on quarantining people who have travelled from China.

View attachment 234494
EPACopyright: EPA
HHS Secretary Alex Azar asked for $2.5 billion to be invested in fighting the outbreakImage caption: HHS Secretary Alex Azar asked for $2.5 billion to be invested in fighting the outbreak
Meanwhile Alex Azar, the US Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary, has asked a Senate subcommittee to approve $2.5 billion (£1.92 billion) in funding to fight the outbreak.

The money, he said, would pay for the US to expand its surveillance systems for the virus, would support local and state governments, and would help scientists develop vaccines.

Mr Azar also said the US needed to expand its stockpiles of protective equipment, like surgical masks. He said that right now the US has a stockpile of about 30 million masks, but it actually needs 300 million.

BBM
Yeah whatever the case, this “flight attendant thing” could be really bad, moo. Hate to sound like an alarmist, BUT THAT WAS NOT THE NEWS WE WANTED TO HEAR THIS MORNING.

Anxiously waiting more information about this.

Ha!

OMG! Did Dr. Nancy just quote me!? (JK of course) ETA: Note similar use of language

But for real let’s do a side by side:

"We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad."

ETA: “could be”, “might be”

ETA2: Rs: this new alert, I’m not necessarily saying there’s a correlation between this and the flight attendant, ftr. Still listening...

Last edited:
Any idea of the time frame from start off illness to dying takes place?

It's variable but the Lancet has been reporting information about fatalities that occurred between 3 and 11 days after diagnosis.

Once a patient has to be intubated, the course really accelerates and they may die within a few days.

I saw some videos of the Tenerife hotel this am on BBC News. About a third of the people had their masks half off , or hanging around their necks as they are filmed talking to hotel staff, each other, or news people. You know, like within 4 feet of potential droplet spray *faceplant*

This is not the way to protect yourself.

I'm worried Tenerife is going to turn into another Diamond Princess at this rate.

I think it's hard for people to take the virus seriously because there are no symptoms for a couple of weeks. It probably feels strange to wear a face mask amongst seemingly healthy people.

Woman tests positive for coronavirus in mainland Spain

The patient is a 36-year-old Italian national living in Barcelona who traveled to Bergamo and Milan, Italy, from Feb. 12 until Sunday. She is now in isolation in a hospital.

Previously, two people on the Spanish resort island of Tenerife tested positive for the virus forcing their hotel into a lockdown.

Eight more cases are being investigated.

Live updates: Coronavirus cases surge in Italy, Iran and South Korea - CNN

The US and South Korea are expected to announce as soon as today that a critical joint military exercise has been scaled back because coronavirus is severely limiting the ability of both nation’s militaries to participate.

___

in other news...

Stocks have turned sharply negative as coronavirus fears continue to mount. The Dow has lost more than 700 points.

Yesterday, the Dow fell more than 1,000 points, recording its worst day in two years, as coronavirus fears led global markets to plummet.

Live updates: Coronavirus cases surge in Italy, Iran and South Korea - CNN

And WTH does THAT mean?????

Do I need to get an isolation tent and put it in my back yard?
Should I rush out to buy a burial plot?
Should I have a prophylactic appendectomy so I don't have to risk running to an ER crowded with dying patient's if I develop appendicitis?

And WTH does THAT mean?????

Do I need to get an isolation tent and put it in my back yard?
Should I rush out to buy a burial plot?
Should I have a prophylactic appendectomy so I don't have to risk running to an ER crowded with dying patient's if I develop appendicitis?

“The spread in other countries has raised our level of concern and raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here,” Messonnier said. “We’re asking folks in every sector as well as people within their families to start planning for this, because as we’ve seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it’s hit in those countries it has moved quite rapidly so we want to make sure that the American public is prepared.”

CDC Says to Prepare for Coronavirus Spread in U.S. with the ‘Expectation That This Could Be Bad’

Interesting to see how it starts in Europe.

25185602-0-image-a-6_1582654826484.jpg

Italy's coronavirus death toll jumps to 11 | Daily Mail Online

Dr. Nancy just quoted you? What are we missing that you are listening to?

(It was a joke about her quoting me obviously, thought I bolded that I was kidding, “could be bad” vs. “might be bad”...

Never mind...was just noticing the similar use of language, that’s all. Will eta: to post above.

Last edited:
So ftr just because just someone is talking about the situation (as we have been for a month or however long it’s been), it doesn’t mean they’re panicking. We should make that clear going forward.

(ETA, so respectfully to the poster above, thanks for saying “hang in there”, I’m fine :D . Just trying to keep up, that’s all. )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member