Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for everyone here on the thread. Have you posted anything about this on your facebook as to any articles or anything? I had a dinner for 6 last week and tried to broach the subject as to a lead into a conversation... and they all dismissed. Wish I could find my notes as I actually afterwards noted the.. and all were.. "not gonna affect me, I'll worry about it when it does"

And last Wednesday (and tomorrow) I tried to broach in a group setting through our senior center activites group which I'm a member. Directly after I brought up the cruise ship stats to start a discussion, one of the folks brought out a cruise ship itenerary to discuss with her friend next to her. Egads, I shut down and apologized for bringing it up.. What to do in that situation folks, I don't know.

As to folks who say...it doesn't affect me? Well, pffft, cannot say to them look at your 401k etc if that's the least of your worries?

But really, how many of us are "out" on MSM speaking of?

Oh yeah, as to how close to me so far..

1. Neighbor couple who was in US isolation as to the virus (none in my state, they had flown back from China and discussed upthread) ,
  2. my family member who does VIPkids learning online 6 hours a day to China,
  3. and a family member whos inlaws are now in Taiwan (government/state employees, but were from western China at beginning of outbreak who had 24 -48 hours to fly out.. they went to Tawain vs. US).

With all of the above, just doesn't seem right to probe like us WSers wanna do. I don't know how in the criminal cases those close to them talk.. as I cannot even ask those closest as I feel so uncomfortable doing so. They are dealing with it, and I don't want to make worse with inquiry iykwim.

It's just a tangent for me, but I'm already so poised? But seems absolutely not one of my friends or family members are concerned as much as I, if at all.

Are we Henny Pennies?

1 in Egypt from a few days ago?

Yeah but that’s different imo. Geographically this is Iberian Peninsula, Rock of Gibraltar stuff and more. That’s why I mentioned Morocco specifically. Yes we had Egypt but considering the Spain Situation...

This is a different ballgame, moo, geographically.

(This area has been an interest of mine for years)

$10 says it’s in Morocco MOO

2020 OLYMPICS COULD BE 'CANCELED' Over Coronavirus Outbreak

Enter Dick Pound -- a senior member of the International Olympic Committee -- who told the Associated Press a total cancelation IS on the table.

"In and around that time, I’d say folks are going to have to ask: 'Is this under sufficient control that we can be confident about going to Tokyo or not?'" Pound said.

And, if officials determine it's too dangerous to move forward, "You’re probably looking at a cancellation."

2020 Olympics Could Be 'Canceled' Over Coronavirus Outbreak, Official Says

Coronavirus fits criteria for 'Disease X,' WHO expert says

“Disease X is a term that was coined by WHO,” Marion Koopmans, a member of WHO’s emergency committee, and head of viroscience at Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam. “After the Ebola crisis in West Africa, they did an in-depth evaluation on what went wrong, and the so-called R&D blueprint for emerging disease was developed.”

“Disease X” was added to WHO’s “Prioritizing diseases for research and development in emergency contexts” list of illnesses that includes Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF), Ebola and Marburg virus disease, Lassa Fever, MERS, SARS, Nipah and henipaviral diseases, Rift Valley fever and Zika.

“There is a number of diseases on that list that we know, but also ‘Disease X,' that is meant to alert the world to think about how to prepare for these diseases.”

“Disease X represents the knowledge that a serious international epidemic could be caused by a pathogen currently unknown to cause human disease, and so the R&D Blueprint explicitly seeks to enable cross-cutting R&D preparedness that is also relevant for an unknown ‘Disease X’ as far as possible.”

COVID-19, as it’s been named by WHO, “fits the Disease X category,” Koopmans wrote in the journal Cell last week.

Public health labs ask to create their own tests for coronavirus

With only 12 state and local health laboratories able to test for the novel coronavirus, public health labs are asking the US Food and Drug Administration for permission to create their own tests for the virus.

While the CDC currently has no backlog or delay in testing, the lab association’s CEO, Scott Becker, said that its concern is not about the current situation, but for when community spread of the virus increases.

“We want to encourage and ensure that we have the test closest to the population,” Becker said.

The CDC has been working to resolve the testing kit issue but has yet to provide a timeline about when labs will receive new tests.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Cases surge in Italy, Iran and South Korea - CNN

2020 OLYMPICS COULD BE 'CANCELED' Over Coronavirus Outbreak

Enter Dick Pound -- a senior member of the International Olympic Committee -- who told the Associated Press a total cancelation IS on the table.

"In and around that time, I’d say folks are going to have to ask: 'Is this under sufficient control that we can be confident about going to Tokyo or not?'" Pound said.

And, if officials determine it's too dangerous to move forward, "You’re probably looking at a cancellation."

2020 Olympics Could Be 'Canceled' Over Coronavirus Outbreak, Official Says

(Cough)

I think its been percolating in the US for some time and we just haven't hit the right tests at the right time. Why why why can S Korea test sooo many while we seem to just be fumbling around with it? Why wouldn't the S Koreans have shared it with us? Just seems like everything is so disconnected...
BBM

(JMO), it’s not that we haven’t hit the right tests at the right time, it’s that US has barely tested at all! (exclamation not directed at you). US has tested less than 500 people as of yesterday! Less than 500 people.... there are 8,000 people “on watch” in California alone. o_O:confused:

This is NOT a political post.. (gawd, hard to do with some speakers here) view as we have as to focus on the virus/not politics as we have been doing well here on the thread, but global news is doing right now live

Coronavirus outbreak: U.S. health officials provide update on ongoing response to virus | LIVE

ETA: The stock market is not liking this presser MOO

Last edited:
I have a question for everyone here on the thread. Have you posted anything about this on your facebook as to any articles or anything? I had a dinner for 6 last week and tried to broach the subject as to a lead into a conversation... and they all dismissed. Wish I could find my notes as I actually afterwards noted the.. and all were.. "not gonna affect me, I'll worry about it when it does"

And last Wednesday (and tomorrow) I tried to broach in a group setting through our senior center activites group which I'm a member. Directly after I brought up the cruise ship stats to start a discussion, one of the folks brought out a cruise ship itenerary to discuss with her friend next to her. Egads, I shut down and apologized for bringing it up.. What to do in that situation folks, I don't know.

As to folks who say...it doesn't affect me? Well, pffft, cannot say to them look at your 401k etc if that's the least of your worries?

But really, how many of us are "out" on MSM speaking of?

Oh yeah, as to how close to me so far..

1. Neighbor couple who was in US isolation as to the virus (none in my state, they had flown back from China and discussed upthread) ,
  2. my family member who does VIPkids learning online 6 hours a day to China,
  3. and a family member whos inlaws are now in Taiwan (government/state employees, but were from western China at beginning of outbreak who had 24 -48 hours to fly out.. they went to Tawain vs. US).

With all of the above, just doesn't seem right to probe like us WSers wanna do. I don't know how in the criminal cases those close to them talk.. as I cannot even ask those closest as I feel so uncomfortable doing so. They are dealing with it, and I don't want to make worse with inquiry iykwim.

It's just a tangent for me, but I'm already so poised? But seems absolutely not one of my friends or family members are concerned as much as I, if at all.

Are we Henny Pennies?

Most people assume that the virus will not come to them, and, if it does, they'll have a cold for a few days and everything back to normal. I'm sure that's what 99% of Italians thought until they went into instant, unexpected lockdown.

Governments seem to be saying that given the spread around the world, everyone needs to be prepared as things could change at any time.

I just want to say that on Saturday, we ordered Chinese takeout for the first time in months. I was a little hesitant, last time the family wanted to order I thought they were crazy. This time I held back on the crazy.

Tonight I'm going to stop at the Dollar General and stock up on bleach, paper towels, disinfectant solution, toilet paper and such. Maybe they'll have masks, too? Next week I'll start stockpiling food. I won't tell anyone what I'm doing.

Signed,
P

I’ve never been in a thread where the mod panicked. :D

JK JG!!!!!!!

ETA:
My humor goes over well most of the time...

Last edited:
Bill Gates warns the coronavirus could hit Africa worse than China
rbbm.
"This disease, if it's in Africa ... it's more dramatic than if it's in China, even though I'm not trying to minimize what's going on in China in any way," Gates said, according to a report by The Telegraph. "Will this get into Africa or not and if so, will those health systems be overwhelmed?"

Gates said the potential impact in sub-Saharan Africa could be "very, very dramatic."

He added that the coronavirus could evolve into a pandemic.''

In one sense, Gates said, the virus is more concerning than Ebola, since it spreads far faster. The fatality rate of the new coronavirus, which appears to be around 2% is far lower than Ebola's, however. ''

''The flow of people between China and Africa has risen sharply in the last decade: According to Quartz, direct airline flights between Africa and China jumped over 600%.

By 2017, more than 200,000 Chinese laborers were working in construction and other projects on the African continent, according to research from Johns Hopkins University. (That number excludes traders and shopkeepers.) The top five African countries with Chinese workers, according to that research, were Algeria, Angola, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and Zambia — which together accounted for almost 60% of all Chinese workers in Africa.''

I only became interested because my younger daughter just returned from a backpacking trip to Taiwan (with a stopover in Shanghai), Philippines, Australia and Singapore . She returned to the USA on January 14th. And I keep thinking how I tried to push her to do a 3 day layover in Beijing on her way back to JFK since she never visited China. I remember saying, "China will give you 3 days visa free - go see China!!!" Last year she visited Thailand and Vietnam. Before she graduated from college, she contemplated teaching English in China because "it pays good money". Ugh. A co-worker just sent her daughter to teach English in South Korea, daughter doesn't want to leave and mom is begging her to fly home. Double ugh.

My oldest daughter has a trip planned for southern Italy in June. We shall see where that takes her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members