Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Public health labs ask to create their own tests for coronavirus
From CNN’s Nadia Kounang
With only 12 state and local health laboratories able to test for the novel coronavirus, public health labs are asking the US Food and Drug Administration for permission to create their own tests for the virus.

“We are now many weeks into the response with still no diagnostic or surveillance test available outside of CDC for the vast majority of our member laboratories,” the Association of Public Health Laboratories wrote in a letter to FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn on Monday.
The association represents the 150 largest public health labs across the country and is asking the FDA for a special exemption to create its own diagnostics.

“We find ourselves in a situation that requires a quicker local response,” the association wrote.

While the CDC currently has no backlog or delay in testing, the lab association’s CEO, Scott Becker, told CNN that its concern is not about the current situation, but for when community spread of the virus increases.

“We want to encourage and ensure that we have the test closest to the population,” Becker said.

The CDC announced on Feb. 6 that 200 test kits would be distributed to labs across the United States. The kits needed to be verified by the local health laboratories to ensure they were working. Less than a week later, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said some labs that had received the tests were getting inconclusive results, and components of the tests would need to be remade.

The CDC has been working to resolve the testing kit issue but has yet to provide a timeline about when labs will receive new tests.

Coronavirus fears spread across globe

I really don't understand this when again, it seems that SKorea and other countries are able to test quickly (accurately who knows?). Not getting it when I thought the CDC was the premier agency of its kind worldwide...

Yes.

Some of us older folks at WS >60 that have a risk which leads to a comorbidity which has been stated - we appreciate posts that recognize that WE might be more concerned than others here on the threads, and are empathetic to our angst and what may seem to others as not to their thinking.

WE can get emotional, and have no one in RL to express to such our angst, and appreciate the welcoming community here not to shame US for our angst in this situation.

Thank you to those that don't dismiss our high concerns which some here may not share.

We are elderly
We have no one 'cept here to discuss
We have risk factors that have been shown to high risk for comorbitities and here to learn and share.

As I recall, the WHO criteria for "Older age" that put people at higher risk was age 40, not 60

You know, all those elderly 40 year olds.

I feel like the general public in the United States is just not getting this. I am not an alarmist, but this is here. And there are no real plans for a major event like this in the United States. I know, because I have participated in mock exercises with Red Cross and local hospitals, it was a joke.

I really don't understand this when again, it seems that SKorea and other countries are able to test quickly (accurately who knows?). Not getting it when I thought the CDC was the premier agency of its kind worldwide...
Xxit happens.....somebody messed up the kits.....they are creating new ones...but my understanding is that the CDC can test....there is no backlog or delay at this time. The local public health departments submit the request. There have not been as many as SK. That's good.....it means we don't currently have an area with a foothold of the virus. Might we have some positives running around that we don't know about? Sure.....and that's the result in Europe now.

The health care system there...probably just not diagnosed. Old people dying of pneumonia. Shrug.

Pneumonia was always "the old man's friend" as a relatively kind way for older people to pass in the old days.

But the alarming deaths of healthcare providers in China tell us that caring for people with severe COVID-19 pneumonia is in itself a very high risk situation.

So there's good reason to try to keep older folks from becoming infected.

I’m with you 100% on that- I cannot understand why the US has only tested 500 people at this point.

U.S. health officials issued a strong warning about novel coronavirus on Tuesday -- that it's no longer a matter of if, but when it will spread in the U.S., and that Americans should prepare for a "significant disruption."

Until now, health officials said they'd hoped to prevent community spread in the U.S. But following community transmissions in Italy, Iran and South Korea, health officials believe the virus may not be able to be contained at the border.

CDC warns Americans of 'significant disruption' from coronavirus

Things could be changing as we speak.

Stuff’s going down at the CDC moo.

I sure hope so- that the testing is ramping up. I’m walking around here in the San Francisco Bay Area wondering why everyone seems oblivious despite the multiple emergency declarations here.

The sooner we start testing people the sooner we’ll know how many people have it. (now if that isn’t some massive logic I don’t know what is) :D

I sure hope so- that the testing is ramping up. I’m walking around here in the San Francisco Bay Area wondering why everyone seems oblivious despite the multiple emergency declarations here.

The sooner we start testing people the sooner we’ll know how many people have it. (now if that isn’t some massive logic I don’t know what is) :D

Testing discussed around 9:00ish and 12:00ish:
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member