Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone refresh my memory as to the two animal species they are looking at per WHO. One was bat, the other was a scaled thing that I can't recall the name of.

TIA
Pangolin

They are killing Pangolins' into extinction.

Pangolins

These shy and gentle creatures are the #1 most trafficked animal in the world.

Last edited:
Xxit happens.....somebody messed up the kits.....they are creating new ones...but my understanding is that the CDC can test....there is no backlog or delay at this time. The local public health departments submit the request. There have not been as many as SK. That's good.....it means we don't currently have an area with a foothold of the virus. Might we have some positives running around that we don't know about? Sure.....and that's the result in Europe now.

Thank you Henry, I really do want to believe the CDC but at the same time I'm a very scared.

Thank you Henry, I really do want to believe the CDC but at the same time I'm a very scared.
I don't know if this will help you feel better but its the way I look at it. Clearly it hasn't taken a foothold in a community or we would be hearing of hospitals that are overwhelmed. Major testing will occur in the first area that shows a foothold. Its the local health depts job to find that spot with surveillance of hospitals. Based on San Francisco's state of emergency, they may have suspicions and waiting for the virus to show itself. This virus has an excellent stealth component to run under the radar until its multiplied.
Be prepared with food and goods in your home;
Stay away from people as much as possible;
And stay vigilant for changes in the environment.

Prisoners in Iran’s Evin prison, including a British-Iranian dual national, are protesting against plans for them to be transferred to a ward that they believe previously held a coronavirus victim.

Sherry Ashoori, whose dual national husband, Anoosheh Ashoori, 65, was jailed by the Iranian authorities for 12 years, said she has contacted the Foreign Office to warn them of the plans to transfer her husband and others to the prison’s ward 4.

Iran's deputy health minister: I have coronavirus
He has told his wife he and other prisoners in ward 12 are refusing to be moved, but know they may be forced to do so. As many as three prisoners held in ward 4 are suspected of having contracted Covid-19.

Sherry Ashoori said the inmates’ fears were prompted when a bus dropping off prisoners at various sites in Tehran stopped at the Taleqani hospital to leave a patient. A prison guard who had been chained to the inmate was heard protesting that he had not been told the prisoner was suspected of suffering from coronavirus.

Senior reformist MPs have called for political prisoners to be released temporarily during the outbreak.

The Iranian judiciary spokesman, Gholam Hossein Ismaili, has responded to growing political pressure over the risk of contagion in prisons by putting prison staff on high alert for signs of the disease.

He said he was activating a range of preventative measures to prevent an outbreak, both by cutting the number of people being sent to jail and by allowing some inmates out on release.

Iranian prisoners fear transfer to ward that held coronavirus victim | Iran | The Guardian

I didn't go out today. My city is still in the clear as of now. I did check out the live cam for the Piazza and was surprised to see many out still celebrating the carnivale. We are very lucky to not have any cases since we are not to far away from the main areas. I did read all about the precaution that the city has going on. Tents up and areas to quarantine if needed. I have to walk to the stores so I do bring home a little bit extra but tonight my husband brought home extra pasta and rice packages. I feel like I have 2 weeks of meals. It quite sad to see Italy have gone up in numbers again.
I'm glad you posted an update @keeponsearching . I've been thinking about you and glad things are going well. Is there any possibility you can increase your supplies. Do you have basic medications and any prescriptions you may need?

Here we go.....

NEW: Brazil's Health Ministry says a man has tested positive for coronavirus in an initial test, but they're waiting for results from a 2nd test. If confirmed. it would be South America's first case.

The patient is a 61-year-old man in São Paulo. He was in northern Italy from February 9 until February 21.

Sao Paulo is 12 million people!

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Here we go.....

NEW: Brazil's Health Ministry says a man has tested positive for coronavirus in an initial test, but they're waiting for results from a 2nd test. If confirmed. it would be South America's first case.

The patient is a 61-year-old man in São Paulo. He was in northern Italy from February 9 until February 21.

Sao Paulo is 12 million people!

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Yeah I’d be turning around from Carnival, (even though it’s Rio, not SP), moo.

We have friends leaving Thursday on a cruise with many stops in South America. We had dinner with them Saturday eve and at that point they only knew of temp checks. At the time of our dinner there were no cases in S. America. Yikes

HONG KONG (Reuters) - To escape the confines of his Hong Kong "coffin home", or two square meters (21.5 square feet) of living space, Simon Wong usually spends his days in the park playing mahjong with friends, only returning at night to sleep.

But since the Chinese-ruled city reported its first patient with coronavirus last month, Wong has been stuck indoors in the home he has to climb a ladder to get into and which is just large enough to hold a single mattress.

"I don't go out anymore, there are no more gatherings," said the unemployed 64-year-old.

More at link
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN20J2EZ?__twitter_impression=true

Minnesota health officials prepare for coronavirus
No cause for panic, but families should take stock of their foods, medicines and abilities to stay at home if sick, health officials say.

While hospitals are stocking up on new supplies, Ehresmann said the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also are examining whether some expiration dates were too conservative and whether older protective equipment remains usable.

Individuals can prepare as well, Ehresmann said, by washing hands and practicing other forms of good hygiene, and by making sure they have basic supplies at home if they ever need to be confined there.

“We’re not talking about stocking up for Armageddon,” she said, “but just, if you and your family are sick for a while, and can’t get to the store, do you have enough soup or other nonperishable items that you would need?”

Minnesota health officials prepare for coronavirus

So i live in Colorado but lived in Germany until age 19... i still watch the Tagesschau (german news). It is crazy how the tone of the news differ between Germany and here. I realize that Europe is in the midst of it already, but seems that this will be the case here as well... I work in hospital and am definitely bracing myself...

HONG KONG (Reuters) - To escape the confines of his Hong Kong "coffin home", or two square meters (21.5 square feet) of living space, Simon Wong usually spends his days in the park playing mahjong with friends, only returning at night to sleep.

But since the Chinese-ruled city reported its first patient with coronavirus last month, Wong has been stuck indoors in the home he has to climb a ladder to get into and which is just large enough to hold a single mattress.

"I don't go out anymore, there are no more gatherings," said the unemployed 64-year-old.

More at link
Fearing coronavirus, Hong Kong's 'coffin home' dwellers stay indoors
Wow. I can’t imagine living in such a space - plus smoking too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679