Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
100,000.00 percent agree. Additionally, our politicians need to stop bickering about politics and figure out how to take care of their citizens. This virus is NOT about politics!!! Damn It.

I listened to the cdc call today. Both cnn & fox news asked very politically motivated questions which kind of scared me. This shouldn't be political.

I have Home Depot and Canadian Tire here - all masks sold out online, except for the flimsy paper ones and I already have a 50-pack of those cause I'm immune compromised from chemo. I'm a bit worried that everywhere is sold out online here already. Maybe they have stock in store.
Someone mentioned that they found N95 masks at a local paint store. ???

Someone mentioned that they found N95 masks at a local paint store. ???

yes I've been checking online and nothing around here

I have a feeling corporate said just put all the qty's to 0 online that way they don't have to deal with any shipping issues - maybe they shipped all stock to stores - it's just awfully coincidental that no stores have any stock online and we've had no warning here in Canada

also my husband works at 3M and they have posted a sign right on the front door that their employee store has no masks in stock

Personally, I'm not seeing many people here panicking. I see prudent people, like myself paying attention and adding things to our grocery list that we've been advised to do.
Spending an extra $100. To stock some supplies, in case we are requested to stay indoors to stop a spreading virus, is intelligent.
I call it, being part of the solution.
Educating oneself, applying the learning, is not panicking. It's downright smart. IMO

I've tried to stay in the shadows, and I do appreciate the news many of you post about this Coronavirus, but I just have to say - turning this forum into a personal panic attack is disturbing and IMO completely out of control. Maybe because I'm older than a lot of you, but why are you stocking up on food, water, dog food? Unless you live in the most highly populated cities, I don't see any shortage of goods if we have more cases. This is exactly why things spiral out of control and the more people that buy into the panic, the worse it will get. I understand being concerned, and being somewhat prepared, but really? I have read that WHO has cautioned people not to panic.

You do know that the n95 face masks you buy from the paint section are not rated or appropriate for medical usage?

You do know there is a shelf life for even medicine?

Why are you buying gallons of water? This isn't a weather situation where a storm brings down utilities, leaving water and electricity out.

And last but most certainly the most important, why are some of you looking at Asians and thinking they are carriers or someone to mistrust? I grew up reading about the Japanese camps in the US because people had a mass hysteria about Japanese in the Pearl Harbor era. I also lived in the time where people didn't trust Asian people in the US during the Vietnam wars. It was shameful how our Asian US citizens were treated, and I'm seeing some of the same posts in this past week.

I know no one will want to read this, or agree with this, but it needed to be said. And I realize I'm putting myself out for all the posts that will tell me how wrong or ridicule me, however I don't care, this needs to be written.

MOO

I don't know if this will help you feel better but its the way I look at it. Clearly it hasn't taken a foothold in a community or we would be hearing of hospitals that are overwhelmed. Major testing will occur in the first area that shows a foothold. Its the local health depts job to find that spot with surveillance of hospitals. Based on San Francisco's state of emergency, they may have suspicions and waiting for the virus to show itself. This virus has an excellent stealth component to run under the radar until its multiplied.
Be prepared with food and goods in your home;
Stay away from people as much as possible;
And stay vigilant for changes in the environment.
SF has a lot of homeless - wonder if the emergency is somehow related.

Quit coughing in the thread please. And if you do, please do into your elbow :rolleyes:

Just to note social change, I had folks over for dinner and one kept coughing and sneezing etc and did without hand/with hands. I did an "educational" on that at the moment without thinking as to say " do within elbow".. and every just stared at me.. I'm saying, folks aren't up on this like we are... and now I'm a rude person per my friends perhaps?

It's always bothered me, but this week, I spoke up.
I was at the cardiologist yesterday and the nurse kept coughing while walking with my checkout papers, switching them from hand to hand without using hand sanitizer. I told the woman at checkout that I didn’t want my paperwork after that. I’m just now getting over bronchitis and don’t need another bug.

I also have a large family that I am providing much care for. Children, grandchildren, and an elderly parent. I don't think it is wise to ignore the urging of the CDC to prepare for this virus.

The hope, Messonnier said, is that the U.S. will be “overprepared.”

“I continue to hope that in the end we will look back and feel like we were overprepared, but that is a better place to be in than being underprepared,” she said. “Any preparedness we do as a country and within schools and businesses and our families will always be helpful for whatever the next event is.”

CDC Says to Prepare for Coronavirus Spread in U.S. with the ‘Expectation That This Could Be Bad’

Personally, I'm not seeing many people here panicking. I see prudent people, like myself paying attention and adding things to our grocery list that we've been advised to do.
Spending an extra $100. To stock some supplies, in case we are requested to stay indoors to stop a spreading virus, is intelligent.
I call it, being part of the solution.
Educating oneself, applying the learning, is not panicking. It's downright smart. IMO
I agree 100%.

I was at the cardiologist yesterday and the nurse kept coughing while walking with my checkout papers, switching them from hand to hand without using hand sanitizer. I told the woman at checkout that I didn’t want my paperwork after that. I’m just now getting over bronchitis and don’t need another bug.
:mad: Of all people, she (or he) should know better.

I've tried to stay in the shadows, and I do appreciate the news many of you post about this Coronavirus, but I just have to say - turning this forum into a personal panic attack is disturbing and IMO completely out of control. Maybe because I'm older than a lot of you, but why are you stocking up on food, water, dog food? Unless you live in the most highly populated cities, I don't see any shortage of goods if we have more cases. This is exactly why things spiral out of control and the more people that buy into the panic, the worse it will get. I understand being concerned, and being somewhat prepared, but really? I have read that WHO has cautioned people not to panic.

You do know that the n95 face masks you buy from the paint section are not rated or appropriate for medical usage?

You do know there is a shelf life for even medicine?

Why are you buying gallons of water? This isn't a weather situation where a storm brings down utilities, leaving water and electricity out.

And last but most certainly the most important, why are some of you looking at Asians and thinking they are carriers or someone to mistrust? I grew up reading about the Japanese camps in the US because people had a mass hysteria about Japanese in the Pearl Harbor era. I also lived in the time where people didn't trust Asian people in the US during the Vietnam wars. It was shameful how our Asian US citizens were treated, and I'm seeing some of the same posts in this past week.

I know no one will want to read this, or agree with this, but it needed to be said. And I realize I'm putting myself out for all the posts that will tell me how wrong or ridicule me, however I don't care, this needs to be written.

MOO
Why am I concerned? Well, when my home state, discussing the virus, tells me to make certain I have enough supplies and med in case the virus causes home stay or quarantine, I take notice.

I'm also bracing myself for work. I have no idea what this will be like in the hospital setting. I guess we'll find out! :confused:
Could be a show. Our healthcare system leaves a lot to be desired on a daily basis without any outbreaks . Moo moo
I’m sure some hospitals /communities etc will handle it better than others.

If the closest grocery store is only 10 miles away and there are several stores or pharmacies in your area - not a big deal if self quarantined.
But if it’s 30, perhaps 50 miles away and Costco even further - that’s a different story. JMO

Everyone has to do what feels right for their circumstance and family needs.

Could be a **** show. Our healthcare system leaves a lot to be desired on a daily basis without any outbreaks . Moo moo
I’m sure some hospitals /communities etc will handle it better than others.
I'll be honest, short staffing is pretty common in most (U.S.) hospitals and mine is certainly no exception.

Yes.

Some of us older folks at WS >60 that have a risk which leads to a comorbidity which has been stated - we appreciate posts that recognize that WE might be more concerned than others here on the threads, and are empathetic to our angst and what may seem to others as not to their thinking.

WE can get emotional, and have no one in RL to express to such our angst, and appreciate the welcoming community here not to shame US for our angst in this situation.

Thank you to those that don't dismiss our high concerns which some here may not share.

We are elderly
We have no one 'cept here to discuss
We have risk factors that have been shown to high risk for comorbitities and here to learn and share.

Ah you're a darlin', dixie.
I really appreciate you noting that we fill a gap for those that are older and live alone. This is the difference we can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniMiranda82