Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s going to happen to these cruise ships out there that aren’t being allowed to dock?

The countries don’t want to take any chances or someone on board is showing symptoms, so can’t argue with that.

This is exactly why we decided to forego our cruise this week to the Caribbean.

Ya it's the sharing size,
and I have always hoarded my m&m stash.

So, I have a serious question about that "sharing" size. Because, well, we are talking about chocolate. I personally think that the "sharing" size is baloney. No sharing. Forget it. That bag is definitely not "sharing" size.

Just saying.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/travel-coronavirus-champagne-advisories-1.5475003
''Air Canada is extending its suspension of flights between Canada and mainland China until April as the number of coronavirus cases — and the number of countries affected — continues to grow.

The country's largest domestic and international airline announced Tuesday that service to Beijing and Shanghai will be cancelled until April 10. The company initially grounded flights for the month of February after the federal government issued an advisory warning against non-essential travel to China.''

''Asked in the House of Commons Tuesday if the government has done enough to screen potentially infected individuals entering the country, Health Minister Patty Hajdu insisted Canada has imposed "strict" measures. But she noted the coronavirus has now spread to at least 35 countries — including some that may not have the capacity to properly diagnose it.

"Those measures are less effective and it's time to turn our attention and our resources to making sure we're prepared on the domestic stage," she said.

Hajdu said there are not many cases in Canada now, but that could change at any time.''

Telehealth on a large scale is really the key to keeping waiting rooms as empty as possible in a contagion epidemic.

I wish there was a massive public health campaign educating the public that they should NOT head for the clinics and ERs for mild symptoms and mild fevers-- but instead, establish a phone relationship with their clinic, facetime visits, or Dial a Nurse hotline. If we could do that on a large scale, and convince most people to stay home WITH competent personal medical phone support/ advice at least once a day, it would go a long way to slowing spread.

Discussing this at work a lot-- implementing call back systems, like we do for post ops. Getting clinics to implement more phone triage. Facetime visits. Etc. Educating the general public what they need to come in person to have evaluated, and what can be managed with watchful/ supervised waiting.

The reality is that a large proportion of the population has phone service and/ or internet, and those services will be prioritized to keep running. We need to implement a good public health/ social distancing "stay home" plan for the general population, but also reassure them that they will not be "home alone". Especially young inexperienced parents, folks without a lot of medical knowledge, and older folks who live alone. They need to be able to "phone a friend" (health care professional) when they have questions, in order for us to sell voluntary home quarantine to the general public.

Folks who live in densely populated cities in small living quarters are in much tougher circumstances than more suburban settings with single family homes. They don't have $ or room, or availability to stockpile for home quarantine. Some will not be motivated to follow public health guidance, or they may not be able to understand due to cultural or language barriers. Trying to educate the public and slow spread of illness in those settings is an enormous challenge, as we've seen in China-- where more than 97% of the population live in apartments. No where to bug out to, and few ongoing supports for supplies for bugging in.

Anyway, telehealth is your friend in an epidemic! Make friends with your clinic staff, and keep lines of communication open so you know when it's ok to stay home, and when you really need to be seen. (That's my PSA for today. lol!)

So, I have a serious question about that "sharing" size. Because, well, we are talking about chocolate. I personally think that the "sharing" size is baloney. No sharing. Forget it. That bag is definitely not "sharing" size.

Just saying.

there is no real sharing size
that's just the company trying to make you feel less awkward about buying a big bag because you're going to 'share' it hahaha

Just saying.
It is if you go back and buy two bags and hide them in your closet.

Personally, I'm not seeing many people here panicking. I see prudent people, like myself paying attention and adding things to our grocery list that we've been advised to do.
Spending an extra $100. To stock some supplies, in case we are requested to stay indoors to stop a spreading virus, is intelligent.
I call it, being part of the solution.
Educating oneself, applying the learning, is not panicking. It's downright smart. IMO

ITA! In my opinion, if everyone would prepare when given warning, then there would be a lot less panic when/if the event occurs. By stocking up with some extras now, not only am I preparing my family for a potentially bad situation, but I feel a little better knowing that if it hits, and there’s a mad rush on the grocery stores, someone else that needs the loaf of bread I would normally need can have it. Anyone that can and does prepare ahead of time is also lessening the burden on those that can’t (or don’t) when the event does occur.
If everyone would actually prepare now - as is being suggested by the CDC and others - then maybe we could avoid public panic altogether.

There’s a HUGE DIFFERENCE between preparation and panic!!!

And panic is generally driven by the unprepared!!

MOO

For those that have age >60 and co-morbidity and case positive, IIRC (someone correct me please) it is usually 3-4 weeks. It's in that timeframe and I would nail it down, but don't want to unless I can find the source to quote here.

Yeah, I'm starting to get it clearly, that if a person wants to be self centered... they would want mild cases to happen around them to create herd immunity.

As I'm over 60 and have one of the comorbities that they are always speaking of that is bad.

I've done the pantry run and all the suggestions here including going online (for $10!) to get my hoarding of drugs I need for my breathing problems now in case there is a supply issue. (I'm actually looking now at where my meds are from, latest one, Albuterol, was made in Ireland)

I'm headed to antisocial behaviour for sure if/when it comes to my part of the world.

My heart goes out to all affected and dealing with this P.

Saw another video of Wuhan's citizen's shouting out,
this time it wasn't cheers of solidarity, it was the screams of isolation, real primal screams.

cabin fever x 1 000 000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member