Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawaii residents urged to take precautions as CDC issues stark warning of coronavirus outbreak

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - The state is urging residents to take steps now to prepare for the potential spread of the coronavirus to Hawaii amid a stark warning from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that the virus could cause a “significant disruption” to American life.

“It’s not so much a matter of if this will happen anymore, but rather more a question of exactly when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illness,” said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

“We cannot hermetically seal off the United States to a virus, and we need to be realistic about that."

200 people with symptoms self quarantined but did they test them? If they had the symptoms but didn't test them how do we know they didn't have it or spread it? And we know the testing is not terribly accurate. 40% accuracy is what I recall reading on here. We've seen multiple cases of people who tested negative many times before a positive test including the whistleblowing Dr in China who died. He tested negative for like 3 weeks after the start of symptoms.

I am so NOT reassured. I am actually supposed to go to Emory any time now for testing. But I can't find my dozen N95 masks I bought a few years ago and can't find any masks to buy at this point. I was actually at Emory 4 weeks ago and am now suddenly sick. I guess I shouldn't worry since I'm 4 weeks out. But I don't think they were even admitting 4 weeks ago that people were self quarantining here in GA. :/
Yes, they did. 200 people.....it was a news article that we posted here....,probably thread 1. :)

Dr. Schuchat, CTRS Disease Control and Prevention.

Ohh, she said the "P" word. Pandemic. Discussing Coronavirus, is similar to a cold. Wash your hands, stay home if you are sick. Trajectory is uncertain, but steps we have taken that our health care system will make sure that we have the best information available.

Yes, they did. 200 people.....it was a news article that we posted here....,probably thread 1. :)

Are you sure? I remember when they first announced it because it was really delayed. For the longest time there was no info on possible cases in GA. I took note because I live here. But I don't recall anything indicating they actually tested them all only that they were self quarantining. We've had less than 500 people actually tested for it here in the states so it would be really unusual if they actually tested all the people in Atlanta that were self quarantining but not everywhere else.

Just found 60 n95 masks that list “ limited protection. It may help reduce exposure to airborne biological agents including H1N1 swine flu, avian flu, other types of influenza, SARS, or other bacterial or viral biological agents and help reduce the risk for influenza infection during a pandemic” from my local small hardware store in Houston area. The workers laughed at me. Hopefully I’ll just be able to use them to clean my chicken coops and mow the yard.

I live where we often have days or weeks of smoky skies during fire season, plus it's a bad flu year even aside from CV, so I'm sure I will eventually use all the masks I have bought eventually in any case. Or can share with neighbors/friends if I have extra and they didn't get any.

I've stayed away from this thread because I didn't want to listed to those that had an axe to grind. Good decision.

I have learned to follow the *no discussion, news/links only* threads anytime the comments in the regular threads get to be too much for me (quantity or quality...)

You just pointed out one in mentioning not shutting down the thread.

In the middle of a Live Press Conference with the President of the United States on a rapidly emerging and dynamic situation re: a Public Health Emergency of International concern but want to reply:

I wasn’t attacking you in anyway, please know this, not my style. I apologize for any miscommunication on my part. It’s all good. :) No worries, mate.

You can ask the manager to put one on order for you? So that when the shipment is delivered and put on the floor at 7 am on Friday, the manager will hold one package back for you? Best wishes for getting what you are looking for.

Thanks to you and Tbone, Dixie. I found the info in the other thread on the masks. But the manager has said they are not allowed to hold any for people or place orders. It's first come first serve apparently. Sooo I guess we'll need to rush in next Friday first thing and see if we can get some.

Are you sure? I remember when they first announced it because it was really delayed. For the longest time there was no info on possible cases in GA. I took note because I live here. But I don't recall anything indicating they actually tested them all only that they were self quarantining. We've had less than 500 people actually tested for it here in the states so it would be really unusual if they actually tested all the people in Atlanta that were self quarantining but not everywhere else.
I live in Atlanta too. Yes, I posted the article.

I agree with your take on the 200 in Atlanta was the same number last month that was asked to self quarantine on January 23rd iirc. I think the media mixed it up. Those 200 in Atlanta that were among that group have now finished their self isolation which they were asked to do. @Henry2326 recalls the same.

Last edited:
Not everyone has been tested. They don’t have enough kits, wasn’t there an issue with the test kits ?

With thousands of people under “self-quarantine” right now in the US, I think the only people who are getting tested are those that are showing signs of the virus.

Last edited:
I live in Atlanta too. Yes, I posted the article.

Georgia Officials Helping Almost 200 People Monitor Themselves For Coronavirus | 90.1 FM WABE

"State public health officials are helping about 200 people in Georgia monitor themselves for signs of COVID-19, the pneumonia-like disease caused by the 2019 novel coronavirus......

Drenzek said the group of travelers was referred to the state by federal agencies screening incoming passengers from China for COVID-19 at 11 U.S. airports, including Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International.

Georgia DPH has instructed them on how to monitor themselves for symptoms such as fever, cough, and shortness of breath–and to call the agency before visiting a doctor’s office or hospital if they feel they might be sick. In a statement, the agency says the individuals are “self-isolating at home.”

Drenzek said, so far, only a “handful” of people in Georgia have been tested for COVID-19, but those tests have come back negative."

I don't know. I assume this is the same group. It just says they are self quarantining and only a handful of GA residents have been tested. I'm not sure all those 200 people would be a handful. It doesn't seem to say those people were tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb