Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaos creates predictable opportunity.

My sisters in law were joking about a shipment of toilet paper that was stolen, putting it in the context of what people normally steal. I suppose black markets will emerge when there is a fear of shortages.

Neighbors reported each other if there was a wrist band breach.

If 20% of the population needs medical care, there will not be enough beds or staff to care for them. :(

I think that this is where "flexible work life" is going to have to kick in. Anyone seriously ill with CV19, especially over age 80, is going to be best off with palliative care at home. Why go to a hospital and prolong the process? Plus giving the disease to others?

Perhaps that is just my opinion. Save care for the ones who really need it. Medical triage. I suppose this is where medical ethics comes in...

So, took a break, went on FB and what do I see?
Friend: "I've got pneumonia.."
Others asking, how did that happen ? etc......started Saturday, coughing, wheezing, breathlessness, got so bad she finally went in to ER......and now her kids are sick too
lots of well wishes until someone asks "have you been tested for Corona?"
Response: What's that?
Another example to add to my previous post about so many being clueless.

I'm sure it probably IS pneumonia, this is in Los Angeles......nothing here reported.....yet.

I think that this is where "flexible work life" is going to have to kick in. Anyone seriously ill with CV19, especially over age 80, is going to be best off with palliative care at home. Why go to a hospital and prolong the process? Plus giving the disease to others?

Perhaps that is just my opinion. Save care for the ones who really need it. Medical triage.

That is most likely what happens. There was a recent program about WW2 prisoners who were forced to build a railway in Burma. One third of the deaths were prisoners who watched the horror of dying by diseases, starvation and torture, so they committed suicide.

If death is likely, some might choose the short cut.

Do you mind if I ask what part of Australia and what the mood is there? I'm curious as my son is in Melbourne for the last month. He said life goes on as normal, which is what it is in most parts of the world. He's unconcerned.

Hey otto...I’m in Sydney. Everything is pretty normal around here. Sometimes I think I’m the only person watching the situation and preparing for social isolation should it be needed. But saying that there’s been no hand sanitiser available for a month at the chemists where I live.
Family and friends aren’t worried, where as I’m fully prepared to go into lock down mode with my daughter and pets to slow the spread of the disease.

Others asking, how did that happen ? etc......started Saturday, coughing, wheezing, breathlessness, got so bad she finally went in to ER......and now her kids are sick too

I'm sure it probably IS pneumonia, this is in Los Angeles......nothing here reported.....yet.

I wonder how common it is for people to be unaware of local daily news.

If 20% of the population needs medical care, there will not be enough beds or staff to care for them. :(
There are currently approximately 83k cases WORLDWIDE. And predominantly in China. That total number WORLDWIDE is less then the entire population of Sioux City Iowa. And that includes ALL cases. Not just the serious ones. There will never be a need for 20% of the population of the US or of any US city or town to need medical care for corona virus. Not even close. jmo

Hey otto...I’m in Sydney. Everything is pretty normal around here. Sometimes I think I’m the only person watching the situation and preparing for social isolation should it be needed. But saying that there’s been no hand sanitiser available for a month at the chemists where I live.
Family and friends aren’t worried, where as I’m fully prepared to go into lock down mode with my daughter and pets to slow the spread of the disease.

Thank you. Good to hear! I'm preparing for the worst, which is voluntary isolation if this thing arrives, although I'm unsure about the length of time to anticipate. I suggested my son stock up on some basics, but he said nah, no reason.

There are currently approximately 83k cases WORLDWIDE. And predominantly in China. That total number WORLDWIDE is less then the entire population of Sioux City Iowa. And that includes ALL cases. Not just the serious ones. There will never be a need for 20% of the population of the US or of any US city or town to need medical care for corona virus. Not even close. jmo

I'll look for a link - 20% is a number that I heard on the news or read somewhere, but let me see if I can find a source.

Perhaps that is just my opinion. Save care for the ones who really need it. Medical triage. I suppose this is where medical ethics comes in...

You make very good points. I guess I wonder if hospice care and/or home health workers are going to want to suit up to provide the care at home. Palliative care can still require medically trained people. Walk me through this. I’m 74. ;)

I'll look for a link - 20% is a number that I heard on the news or read somewhere, but let me see if I can find a source.

I'm sure there's a quote that says "if" 20% of the population needs to be treated we'll have problems. My point is that will never ever happen. jmo

She sounds like friends I have who refuse to watch the news because it’s so “negative.” *Insert eye roll emoji*

I wonder how common it is for people to be unaware of local daily news.
I don't know. I know I have to read the news, hear what's going on around the world, especially these days.
But some people I guess are just fully immersed in and focused on whatever they're involved in, be it work, family, hobbies or whatever.

If 20% of patients need medical care, and each needs 17 days to recover, medical facilities will be overrun in areas where there is an epidemic.

“I think right now things are so chaotic in China it may be hard to collect data on the whole spectrum of illness,” said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

Officially, an estimated 20% of cases in China are severely ill, according to the World Health Organization. But that calculation is derived based on known cases, and would not reflect mild, undetected ones."​

Limited data on coronavirus may be skewing assumptions about severity

"Chinese health officials report that most cases of the new coronavirus are mild but about 20% of patients either have severe cases of disease or become critically ill."

Here's how symptoms progress among typical patients:
  • Day 1: Patients run a fever. They may also experience fatigue, muscle pain, and a dry cough. A small minority may have had diarrhea or nausea one to two days before.
  • Day 5: Patients may have difficulty breathing — especially if they are older or have a preexisting health condition.
  • Day 7: This is how long it takes, on average, before patients are admitted to a hospital, according to the Wuhan University study.
  • Day 8: At this point, patients with severe cases (15%, according to the Chinese CDC) develop acute respiratory distress syndrome, an illness that occurs when fluid builds up the lungs. ARDS is often fatal.
  • Day 10: If patients have worsening symptoms, this is the time in the disease's progression when they're most likely to be admitted to the ICU. These patients probably have more abdominal pain and appetite loss than patients with milder cases. Only a small fraction die: The current fatality rate hovers at about 2%.
  • Day 17: On average, people who recover from the virus are discharged from the hospital after 2 1/2 weeks. "
A day-by-day breakdown of coronavirus symptoms shows how the disease, COVID-19, goes from bad to worse

To each their own...as they say. I just had a friend that came back from Las Vegas and I don't think I want to take a risk, we were just talking about it a couple days ago. He didn't happen to tell me he was going to Las Vegas. I found that suspicious. He's in a 28-day timeout in my book ..Detroit Auto Show is a no-go for me...ill sink into some books. Jmo
oregon 2 confirmed

Just finished up the last of the people shopping. Few incidentals I was missing, I went through my stock of 86% cacao chocolate too fast. Needed to replenish my kombucha supply too. The pantry is stocked and we’ll just use and replace over time.

Store wasn’t overly busy or devoid of things. Lots of hand sanitizer available, good size for $1.50 per bottle. Only aisle that was picked over was the bread and water aisle, but in case you missed it, Houston busted an 8 foot water line and flooded roads and houses and had to have high water rescues, etc...some areas have low water flow and most of the city is under boil water notice so people have stocked up on water to drink to be safe. Not sure about the bread.

Tomorrow I stock up for the outside animals and it will business as usual. Only thing I might run out of is frozen peas and corn with cheerios for duck treats and peppermints and bit o honey for horse treats. Oh and bully sticks for the puppy, she’s still chewing like crazy at 8 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb