Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandson was 5 months old when he got Covid. Had a really bad cold & congestion that lasted 2 1/2 wks. Family Physician said no to antibodies infusion and to let it run its course. Took time but he is all better now. The little ones I know (which is a lot) haven’t been hospitalized. Seems to me the little ones fare better than everyone else. Moo. Edit to add everyone is different and all outcomes aren’t the same for everyone

My grandkids were 18 months and 3 years 4 months when they had it. They were fine. Really mild symptoms. Bit of fever, cough, congestion.

I still worried.

I'm so sorry MsArk. It's the WORST when our children and grandchildren are sick.
I think the best course of action with the little one is to contact her pediatrician to find out what signs to watch for that may require her being seen at your local hospital.
I hope it runs a short course with minimal symptoms. They'll be in my prayers.

Thank you & yes, they spoke with the pediatrician yesterday after baby got sick. They told my DIL the best thing to do is to make sure the baby doesn’t get dehydration. It can happen so quickly, you know. I am sure it will all be ok. I am just a bit worried and also feel helpless, which I am.

I'm so sorry MsArk. It's the WORST when our children and grandchildren are sick.
I think the best course of action with the little one is to contact her pediatrician to find out what signs to watch for that may require her being seen at your local hospital.
I hope it runs a short course with minimal symptoms. They'll be in my prayers.

Thank you & yes, they spoke with the pediatrician yesterday after baby got sick. They told my DIL the best thing to do is to make sure the baby doesn’t get dehydration. It can happen so quickly, you know. I am sure it will all be ok. I am just a bit worried and also feel helpless, which I am.

My grandkids were 18 months and 3 years 4 months when they had it. They were fine. Really mild symptoms. Bit of fever, cough, congestion.

I still worried.

Oh goodness, thank heavens your little ones did well. You are right in the worry department. One of the most insidious aspects of this virus is how it affects different people. I need to think positively because in the end, I can’t do anything to help.

I so sorry to hear your family is sick. I know you are worried. I'm sure you are keeping in close contact.

Hoping for a mild case and quick recovery.

Well, let's look for positives then. My grands would have had delta. Hopefully, this milder Omicron is a cinch for little ones.

NBC will not send announcers to Beijing for Winter Games (clickondetroit.com)

NBC will not be sending its announcers and most hosts to the Beijing Olympics due to continued concerns about rising COVID-19 cases worldwide and China's strict policy about those who test positive.

It will be the second straight Games for which the broadcast teams will work mostly out of NBC Sports headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut, rather than the host city.

“Something significant has changed virtually every day for the last three months, forcing us to adjust our plan numerous times. And I expect that to continue as well as the challenge of doing the Olympics,” said Molly Solomon, the head of NBC's Olympics production unit.

“With COVID’s changing conditions and China’s zero-tolerance policy, it’s just added a layer of complexity to all of this, so we need to make sure we can provide the same quality experience to the American viewers. That’s why we are split between the two cities.”...

Austria creates Covid lottery with €500 prizes to woo vaccine hesitant

About 72% of Austria’s population are considered fully immunised

Critics say the vaccination lottery programme is at odds with a general vaccination mandate due to be phased in from February, under which people who refuse to have a jab are fined up to €3,600.

Because of logistical challenges, a systematic enforcement of the vaccine mandate, drawing on Austria’s digital vaccination registry, will not be possible until April. By then, the government said, it hoped to have achieved a high enough pickup among the population to make such enforcement redundant.

France to loosen Covid-19 measures in February

France will end audience capacity limits for concert halls, sporting matches and other events from February 2, part of a gradual lifting of Covid-19 restrictions made possible by a vaccine pass that will be required for most public areas starting Monday. Face masks will also no longer be required outside from February 2.

Previously, a health pass could also be obtained with a recent negative Covid-19 test, a possibility the government ended in its bid to convince more people to get jabs. Castex said 93 percent of French adults now had at least one dose.

Unless the masks are mailed, similar to Covid home tests, I wouldn’t even bother going in person to get them. With the spread of omicron, it’s hardly worth the risk. I think most people who now wear masks and are concerned about the effectiveness of masks already have N95s or KN95s. I have a box of US made N95 masks made by Demetech, and a number of better KN95s. The N95 masks can be expensive, so I can see going in person if cost is an issue. But how long will the 3 masks last? I think the real purpose here is to present a clear message that the use of higher quality masks are encouraged by the government.

We give out pkgs of good quality masks at our vaccine clinics. I'm in N. ON.

News from Hungary: Man to sue government because his relatives died of COVID

Jenő Ferincz now plans to sue the government. He said that his mother received the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine, which did not provide the needed protection.

His sister died of coronavirus in the local Szent Rafael Hospital.

The hospital did not let him say goodbye to her.

His mother died of the complications that followed after she got the virus in the Kanizsai Dorottya Hospital.

Families Are Going Rogue With Rapid Tests — The Atlantic

“It started as a joke, actually,” Elena Korngold told me. But late last month, the 40-something radiologist from Portland, Oregon, and her family decided that their unsanctioned scheme couldn’t hurt. Elena began the proceedings by unwrapping the sterile swab from a BinaxNOW rapid test for SARS-CoV-2, part of the family’s dwindling supply. She swirled the swab around the insides of each of her nostrils. Then she passed it to her husband, a cardiologist named Ethan, who swirled it around the insides of each of his nostrils. Then their two children did the same. It was “like some sort of religious ritual,” Elena said.

The snot-saturated swab went into the test card. The test card showed a negative result. The Korngolds, now bonded by something even thicker than blood, went to their dinner party. Nobody got COVID.”

o_O That must have been a very important dinner party!!
Ewwwh

Very good point about Omincron. I am having to show major restraint to keep from calling every hour. I’m only joking (kind of). Thank you for your kind word.

Can you text? I held myself to every 3 hours day l. Then 2 or 3 times daily after that. My daughter and I text all the time anyway so after day 1 it seemed normal.

Families Are Going Rogue With Rapid Tests — The Atlantic

“It started as a joke, actually,” Elena Korngold told me. But late last month, the 40-something radiologist from Portland, Oregon, and her family decided that their unsanctioned scheme couldn’t hurt. Elena began the proceedings by unwrapping the sterile swab from a BinaxNOW rapid test for SARS-CoV-2, part of the family’s dwindling supply. She swirled the swab around the insides of each of her nostrils. Then she passed it to her husband, a cardiologist named Ethan, who swirled it around the insides of each of his nostrils. Then their two children did the same. It was “like some sort of religious ritual,” Elena said.

The snot-saturated swab went into the test card. The test card showed a negative result. The Korngolds, now bonded by something even thicker than blood, went to their dinner party. Nobody got COVID.”

o_O That must have been a very important dinner party!!
Ewwwh

That is beyond gross---besides that, what's the point?

TWIV's Brianne Barker PhD., is interviewed about Covid. The video includes discussion about Omicron, mRNA vaccines, and explanation of the stages of immune response, and efficacy of vaccines etc.

Very informative! It's a long interview, but if you can hang in there, she provides some very detailed information on "all things covid" and explains things very well. It starts off slow, but doesn't take long for her to answer some great questions.

For example, someone asks her what it means that covid-19 will become endemic. She gives the example of how lime disease is endemic in NJ where she lives. She does say, however, that we need to protect people who are immunocompromised before we get to the endemic stage, and we're not there yet.

She is good at explaining concepts for non-scientists, and is very engaging.

That is beyond gross---besides that, what's the point?

I guess the point is that no one in the family tested positive! And they didn't have to use four tests to find out. But yes, seems icky. It makes me think of the olden days when families had their Saturday night baths.

The Saturday Night Bath - Petticoats & Pistols
Baths were taken in the wash tub next to the kitchen stove, which was the warmest spot in the house....

The whole family used the same bathwater. The person who carried the tub inside and added water got to bathe first. The rest followed, adding more water as it was heated. In some households, the traditional order was father, mother, then the children in descending order of age. In a large family, the water could be pretty grimy by the time the little ones had their turn. This is where the old saying, “Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater,” originated....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova