Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new study has an encouraging message for Americans who shy away from Covid shots because of worries about side effects: The chills, fatigue, headache and malaise that can follow vaccination may be signs of a vigorous immune response.

People who had those side effects after the second dose of a Covid vaccine had more antibodies against the coronavirus at one month and six months after the shot, compared with those who did not have symptoms, according to the new study. Increases in skin temperature and heart rate also signaled higher antibody levels.

“We know that vaccine uptake can be challenging, and in some cases, it can be so because some people have strong reactions to the vaccine,” said Aric Prather, a clinical psychologist at the University of California, San Francisco, who led the study.

“My hope is that this actually helps assuage some of those concerns,” said Dr. Prather, who studies how behavioral factors affect the immune system. “In fact, those symptoms, though they may be unpleasant, may actually be working for you.”...

A new study has an encouraging message for Americans who shy away from Covid shots because of worries about side effects: The chills, fatigue, headache and malaise that can follow vaccination may be signs of a vigorous immune response.

That’s good info to have. I’ve had that reaction each time and have to plan for a day in bed the day after the injection.

Ugh. Two more of my friends have just been diagnosed with COVID. They just returned from a vacation in Canada.

The husband is retired but wife works in healthcare as a speech therapist. She can’t go back to work until ten days after her diagnosis per company policy.

They had both received all their COVID vaccinations previously but not the new booster yet.

It is funny, how careful I was during Covid, only to get Covid after it was supposedly gone (?). After three vaccines, 2 Pfizer and 1 Moderna.

And when I was unfortunate enough to contract Covid, my employer didn't want to know about my testing positive, and wanted me back at work ASAP. So much for having two weeks of isolation and time to get better.

Since then, I have had severe fatigue. And I have been reading a lot of books about chronic fatigue, and basically working on living my best life. One book I have found very helpful, "Decode Your Fatigue" by Alex Howard.

Gee I wonder where they got that idea?

Hmmm.... let me think on that...
Smiley Thinking Hard Smiley

Nearly four years after Covid’s emergence, plenty of people have tested positive at least twice. But an unlucky group has been hit with reinfection after reinfection.

“I’ve seen a few patients with five infections,” said Dr. Grace McComsey, vice dean for clinical and translational research at Case Western University. “Sadly, they were immunized and they still got Covid five times.”

Reanna Sunford Clark, a 47-year-old day care teacher in Portland, Oregon, says she has gotten Covid six times.

“It does make me concerned that I have this predisposition to it,” Clark said.

Given that the age group she works with isn’t known for clean hands, Clark added, “it makes sense that I am exposing myself to a more likely source — but on the flip side of that, I feel like I’ve had it so many times, I should have more immunity than I do.”...

Nearly four years after Covid’s emergence, plenty of people have tested positive at least twice. But an unlucky group has been hit with reinfection after reinfection.

“I’ve seen a few patients with five infections,” said Dr. Grace McComsey, vice dean for clinical and translational research at Case Western University. “Sadly, they were immunized and they still got Covid five times.”

Reanna Sunford Clark, a 47-year-old day care teacher in Portland, Oregon, says she has gotten Covid six times.

“It does make me concerned that I have this predisposition to it,” Clark said.

Given that the age group she works with isn’t known for clean hands, Clark added, “it makes sense that I am exposing myself to a more likely source — but on the flip side of that, I feel like I’ve had it so many times, I should have more immunity than I do.”...

From what the docs/researchers say, the problem is in the variations of COVID19. You can develop a short term immunity from having a case of COVID19, but you don't always have complete immunity from a different variation of it.

The studies above didn't involve many people who had different variants.

I was able to get the new booster vaccine today.

I had to get it at the pharmacy rather than my county public health office.

I had my choice of Moderna or Pfizer, and I chose Pfizer because the one time I took an earlier Pfizer covid vax I had no side effects.

So far no big side effects but it's only been a few hours. My arm muscle is starting to feel a little sore, but I won't complain about that.

Went by my doctor's office & now have an appointment for a Pfizer vaccine shot for next Friday 10/13.

All my others have been Moderna - but they do not have that brand.
Anyone else have a Pfizer shot? Was it okay? Is it the same as the Moderna one this time?
I just got my latest Covid vax yesterday. I am the same as you—all my prior shots were Moderna, but this one was Pfizer.

Everyone is different, of course, but this is my experience, some 21 hours later. I got the shot yesterday morning, and all day I felt normal except for a little arm soreness. I did have a little trouble sleeping last night because of that. This morning, maybe I feel a tiny bit of body aches, but mostly feel good. With all the prior Moderna shots, I felt much more ill.

I am a member of Kaiser Permanente and had an appointment for another reason yesterday, but the vax was offered to me so I said yes!

I had an appointment to get my COVID booster today but I woke up with a bit of a cough so I decided to wait. When I called to cancel my appointment the pharmacist tried to talk me into coming later in the day, but I said I would prefer to wait.

I’m feeling fine and probably could have gotten the vaccination without any issues so I was probably being overly cautious.

I had an appointment to get my COVID booster today but I woke up with a bit of a cough so I decided to wait. When I called to cancel my appointment the pharmacist tried to talk me into coming later in the day, but I said I would prefer to wait.

I’m feeling fine and probably could have gotten the vaccination without any issues so I was probably being overly cautious.
I no longer believe there is any such thing as being overly cautious!

I just got my latest Covid vax yesterday. I am the same as you—all my prior shots were Moderna, but this one was Pfizer.

Everyone is different, of course, but this is my experience, some 21 hours later. I got the shot yesterday morning, and all day I felt normal except for a little arm soreness. I did have a little trouble sleeping last night because of that. This morning, maybe I feel a tiny bit of body aches, but mostly feel good. With all the prior Moderna shots, I felt much more ill.

I am a member of Kaiser Permanente and had an appointment for another reason yesterday, but the vax was offered to me so I said yes!

Thanks for the info on your experience with the Pfizer shot. I had no ill effects with the Moderna - so hopefully this one will be okay. HOPEFULLY! :)

Thanks for the info on your experience with the Pfizer shot. I had no ill effects with the Moderna - so hopefully this one will be okay. HOPEFULLY! :)

I did end up with a rather sore arm overnight. Still hurts but it already feels like it's fading, about 24 hours after the shot.

Other than that, I had no real side effect. I'm a bit tired but since I just returned from traveling I would expect that. A slight headache, not even enough to prompt me to take an aspirin, and also probably more related to not drinking enough water than to the shot.

You will do fine! And even side effects are much preferred to a case of covid...

No ill effects from the Moderna vaccines—how fortunate! I always felt a bit of body chills and general malaise. I just got back from a walk, and am feeling fine, even better than earlier this morning when I wrote my prior post. Yay!

In a six-weeks’ time frameI have gotten the Shingles #1, Pneumonia, Flu, and Covid shots! Whew. I feel so protected! o_O:p

We got our usual Pfizer covid shots around 5 pm yesterday at RiteAid. I also got the flu vax for seniors. My husband had gotten it at our doctor’s office during an appointment. Both arms are a bit sore, but not bad.

As usual Pfizer is making me feel feverish and my whole body aches. I don’t usually react to the flu shot, so i’m pretty sure this is just covid vax. My husband feels pretty punky too. i took two ibuprofen, I’m using my large ice packs and I’m drinking water. Coffee is coming. Then I may go back to bed. One good thing is that I slept the whole night without getting up and sitting in the living room…my usual pain and insomnia routine. So something must have knocked me out! :)

No ill effects from the Moderna vaccines—how fortunate! I always felt a bit of body chills and general malaise. I just got back from a walk, and am feeling fine, even better than earlier this morning when I wrote my prior post. Yay!

In a six-weeks’ time frameI have gotten the Shingles #1, Pneumonia, Flu, and Covid shots! Whew. I feel so protected! o_O:p

Congratulations! You've covered a lot!

I had the flu vaccine last week, and in another week plan to get the new Covid-19 vaccine. I should have scheduled the Shingles and Pneumonia vaccines over the summer, but didn't. It will take me awhile to catch up with all of them, because I like to let some time lapse between them. Maybe by Christmas I will have had all of them, at least by the end of January.

We got our usual Pfizer covid shots around 5 pm yesterday at RiteAid. I also got the flu vax for seniors. My husband had gotten it at our doctor’s office during an appointment. Both arms are a bit sore, but not bad.

As usual Pfizer is making me feel feverish and my whole body aches. I don’t usually react to the flu shot, so i’m pretty sure this is just covid vax. My husband feels pretty punky too. i took two ibuprofen, I’m using my large ice packs and I’m drinking water. Coffee is coming. Then I may go back to bed. One good thing is that I slept the whole night without getting up and sitting in the living room…my usual pain and insomnia routine. So something must have knocked me out! :)
I’m so sorry you’re not feeling well, but as I know you know, three years ago you’d likely have been in the hospital if you’d caught Covid. Breathing through a ventilator that was split between two patients.
I knew so many people who died here in NYC before there was a vaccine. No one I know who’s since been vaccinated has died.
I know you feel crummy and I’m not helping, lol, but I always remind myself as well…even though in 7 shots I’ve only felt sick for one afternoon.
Feel better soon!

I’m so sorry you’re not feeling well, but as I know you know, three years ago you’d likely have been in the hospital if you’d caught Covid. Breathing through a ventilator that was split between two patients.
I knew so many people who died here in NYC before there was a vaccine. No one I know who’s since been vaccinated has died.
I know you feel crummy and I’m not helping, lol, but I always remind myself as well…even though in 7 shots I’ve only felt sick for one afternoon.
Feel better soon!

Yup, I always take it in stride and just curl up in bed for a day. I actually did end up in the hospital with covid at the end of Jan 2021 for six days …despite being extremely careful, two weeks before we were eligible for the vaccine as seniors. We got the monoclonal antibody infusion, but I still needed O2 in the hospital and all the drugs Trump got the previous Fall. :D No ventilator, thankfully. My husband came thru better than I did.

So the vaccine is no big deal. I figure the worse I feel the better it’s working on my immune system. :-) I think it’s so interesting how everyone has a different reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova