Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at the charts Henry2326 shared the number of recovered cases in China is only about half of total cases, the same in Italy. Are recovered cases not being fully documented or recovery time excruciatingly long ?

Guy infected with covid flew from NY to Florida.
"The person across the way from me was taken to the back of the plane. He was wearing masks and gloves. His wife was sitting in the same row as me and mentioned to others that he wasn't feeling well. She said he had gotten a phone call with his test results right before we had taken off, implying that he had a positive test but not actually saying it," passenger Scott Rodman told WPTV."
JetBlue passenger on flight from JFK arrives in Palm Beach as positive coronavirus case: officials

So he knew he was supposed to be in isolation and played in 7 games and is the player on record has deliberately touching all the reporters mics etc??

I hope these people will eventually face criminal prosecution.

My daughter is still occassionally riding the subway to Manhattan and says that NO ONE wears a mask. She feels funny putting one on. I told her to at least put a scarf around her mouth and nose.

Where are all the mask hoarders and why aren't you wearing them!!?!?

There may be some who don’t know they’re infected yet, hence no mask...

Hello everyone. My son has been mad for the past two days since I wouldn’t let him out to hangout with his girlfriend. In Italy the government asked people to stay in. Go out only when needed. Well all his friends went Out. I can’t understand why people can’t buckle down for a few weeks. But now because those can not follow rules everything is mostly closed and you need a paper to carry I guess. I really hope people just stay in. But for Italians this is difficult because they are social butterflies. My market is a 3 minute walk from my apartment. Yesterday I went to a market farther away. 10 minute walk and there was so many older people out. I was really surprise. Maybe they just went out to get some fresh air. I’m not sure what it will be like outside today. People will still be out headed to work or grocery. I will check the live cameras to see what’s it like out there.
It’s so heartbreaking to see the death numbers go up.

Thank you so much for your updates.
Keep yourself and your heart safe.
And thanks for doing your part wrt quarantine.

looking at the charts Henry2326 shared the number of recovered cases in China is only about half of total cases, the same in Italy. Are recovered cases not being fully documented or recovery time excruciatingly long ?
Yes....the time lag for recovery is significant, 6 weeks average. So it's difficult to track....

I know people that refuse to listen to any novel C news. They claim they are tired of hearing about it 24/7, they act like ignoring it means it doesn’t exist. I think they are really terrified and cope by not listening. One couple lives very close to me, so I see them when I walk, both have poor health. But they are living only a few miles from an area with many in quarantine visited by home health......SMH
My brother and SIL are like that. They don't watch the news. He didn't even know what was happening in Italy. He gave me the usual cr*p about the flu is more serious, it is what it is, etc.

And our mom is over 80. I can't even with him.

Ouch - Spain has had a huge increase in new cases today, 726 to add to the existing 3003.

In Slovenia the government will declare an epidemic, all educational institutions will close, and those forced to stay at home will be paid 80 percent of their salary.

Ireland, Denmark, Poland, Romania & Czechia have closed all schools

Still waiting to hear what the UK's plan is.

What the new Covid-19 government measures mean for workers

Workplaces have not been ordered to shut on the same scale at this time.

Varadkar was clear that people should continue going to work if they can, but should work from home if possible.

Mass gatherings of more than 100 people indoors and more than 500 people outdoors are being advised against. “Cultural institutions” have also been told to close, including museums, galleries and tourism sites.

Government ministers were clear that there is a difference between a workplace of more than 100 people and a “mass gathering”.

Yes....the time lag for recovery is significant, 6 weeks average. So it's difficult to track....

Yes, Dr. Mike was talking about this on Monday, iirc (note - is yesterday’s presser back up?)

Anyway, yes he said (paraphrasing) that’s average, 6 weeks iirc, (note to self grab WHO transcripts) but that sometimes it can take a while to really fully recover from this..I really wish WHO provided transcriptions the Q & A’s as well...

Last edited:
My daughter is still occassionally riding the subway to Manhattan and says that NO ONE wears a mask. She feels funny putting one on. I told her to at least put a scarf around her mouth and nose.

Where are all the mask hoarders and why aren't you wearing them!!?!?
As you know, as I fretted about on here previously, my daughter and SIL ride the PATH (and the subway - though probably they walk from 34th St to work), and my son and DIL ride LIRR and subways to work. I bet none of them are wearing masks. I hesitate to bombard them with questions, but I have a gazillion I want to ask. I depend on news here more so to find out what's happening in NYC. Thanks @JerseyGirl and @Inthedetails

Oh to h*ell with that. I'm texting them now.

Yesterday’s presser / reposting since video went down:

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 11 March 2020

“Good afternoon.

In the past two weeks, the number of cases of COVID-19 outside China has increased 13-fold, and the number of affected countries has tripled.

There are now more than 118,000 cases in 114 countries, and 4,291 people have lost their lives.

Thousands more are fighting for their lives in hospitals.

In the days and weeks ahead, we expect to see the number of cases, the number of deaths, and the number of affected countries climb even higher.

WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction.

We have therefore made the assessment that COVID-19 can be characterized as a pandemic.

Pandemic is not a word to use lightly or carelessly. It is a word that, if misused, can cause unreasonable fear, or unjustified acceptance that the fight is over, leading to unnecessary suffering and death.

Describing the situation as a pandemic does not change WHO’s assessment of the threat posed by this virus. It doesn’t change what WHO is doing, and it doesn’t change what countries should do.

We have never before seen a pandemic sparked by a coronavirus. This is the first pandemic caused by a coronavirus.

And we have never before seen a pandemic that can be controlled, at the same time.

WHO has been in full response mode since we were notified of the first cases.

And we have called every day for countries to take urgent and aggressive action.

We have rung the alarm bell loud and clear.

===

As I said on Monday, just looking at the number of cases and the number of countries affected does not tell the full story.

Of the 118,000 cases reported globally in 114 countries, more than 90 percent of cases are in just four countries, and two of those – China and the Republic of Korea - have significantly declining epidemics.

81 countries have not reported any cases, and 57 countries have reported 10 cases or less.

We cannot say this loudly enough, or clearly enough, or often enough: all countries can still change the course of this pandemic.

If countries detect, test, treat, isolate, trace, and mobilize their people in the response, those with a handful of cases can prevent those cases becoming clusters, and those clusters becoming community transmission.

Even those countries with community transmission or large clusters can turn the tide on this virus.

Several countries have demonstrated that this virus can be suppressed and controlled.

The challenge for many countries who are now dealing with large clusters or community transmission is not whether they can do the same – it’s whether they will.

Some countries are struggling with a lack of capacity.

Some countries are struggling with a lack of resources.

Some countries are struggling with a lack of resolve.

We are grateful for the measures being taken in Iran, Italy and the Republic of Korea to slow the virus and control their epidemics.

We know that these measures are taking a heavy toll on societies and economies, just as they did in China.

All countries must strike a fine balance between protecting health, minimizing economic and social disruption, and respecting human rights.

WHO’s mandate is public health. But we’re working with many partners across all sectors to mitigate the social and economic consequences of this pandemic.

This is not just a public health crisis, it is a crisis that will touch every sector – so every sector and every individual must be involved in the fight.

I have said from the beginning that countries must take a whole-of-government, whole-of-society approach, built around a comprehensive strategy to prevent infections, save lives and minimize impact.

Let me summarize it in four key areas.

First, prepare and be ready.

Second, detect, protect and treat.

Third, reduce transmission.

Fourth, innovate and learn.

I remind all countries that we are calling on you to activate and scale up your emergency response mechanisms;

Communicate with your people about the risks and how they can protect themselves – this is everybody’s business;

Find, isolate, test and treat every case and trace every contact;

Ready your hospitals;

Protect and train your health workers.

And let’s all look out for each other, because we need each other.

===

There’s been so much attention on one word.

Let me give you some other words that matter much more, and that are much more actionable.

Prevention.

Preparedness.

Public health.

Political leadership.

And most of all, people.

We’re in this together, to do the right things with calm and protect the citizens of the world. It’s doable.

I thank you.”

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020

Last edited:
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the Mission briefing on COVID-19 - 12 March 2020
12 March 2020

“Excellencies, dear colleagues and friends,

First of all, I would like to say good morning.

As you know, yesterday I said that that the global COVID-19 outbreak can now be described as a pandemic.

This is not a decision we took lightly.

We have made this assessment for two main reasons: first, because of the speed and scale of transmission.

Almost 125,000 cases have now been reported to WHO, from 118 countries and territories. In the past two weeks, the number of cases reported outside China has increased almost 13-fold, and the number of affected countries has almost tripled.

The second reason is that despite our frequent warnings, we are deeply concerned that some countries are not approaching this threat with the level of political commitment needed to control it.

Let me be clear: describing this as a pandemic does not mean that countries should give up. The idea that countries should shift from containment to mitigation is wrong and dangerous.

On the contrary, we have to double down.

This is a controllable pandemic. Countries that decide to give up on fundamental public health measures may end up with a larger problem, and a heavier burden on the health system that requires more severe measures to control.

All countries must strike a fine balance between protecting health, preventing economic and social disruption, and respecting human rights.

We urge all countries to take a comprehensive approach tailored to their circumstances – with containment as the central pillar.

We are calling on countries to take a four-pronged strategy:

First, prepare and be ready.

There are still 77 countries and territories with no reported cases, and 55 countries and territories that have reported 10 cases or less.

And all countries with cases have unaffected areas. You have an opportunity to keep it that way. Prepare your people and your health facilities.

Second, detect, prevent and treat.

You can’t fight a virus if you don’t know where it is. That means robust surveillance to find, isolate, test and treat every case, to break the chains of transmission.

Third, reduce and suppress.

To save lives we must reduce transmission. That means finding and isolating as many cases as possible, and quarantining their closest contacts. Even if you cannot stop transmission, you can slow it down and protect health facilities, old age homes and other vital areas – but only if you test all suspected cases.

And fourth, innovate and improve.

This is a new virus and a new situation. We’re all learning and we must all find new ways to prevent infections, save lives, and minimize impact. All countries have lessons to share.

WHO is working day and night to support all countries.

We have shipped supplies of personal protective equipment to 57 countries, we’re preparing to ship to a further 28, and we’ve shipped lab supplies to 120 countries.

We’ve published an R&D roadmap, with a set of core protocols for how studies should be done.

We’ve published a comprehensive package of technical guidance.

We’ve had more than 176,000 enrollments in our COVID training courses on OpenWHO.

We’re working with the World Economic Forum and the International Chambers of Commerce to engage the private sector. We’re also working with FIFA.

We’re working with our colleagues across the UN system to support countries to develop their preparedness and response plans, according to the 8 pillars.

And more than 440 million U.S. dollars has now been pledged to WHO’s Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan

We thank those countries that have contributed, especially those that have contributed fully flexible funds. Because this is a dynamic situation, we need the greatest flexibility possible to provide the best support possible. In the spirit of solidarity, we ask countries not to earmark funds for this response.

Thank you all once again for your support and commitment.

As I keep saying, we’re all in this together.

I thank you.”

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the Mission briefing on COVID-19 - 12 March 2020

I'm just getting started catching up on thread, so I apologize if this has already been shared. I commend Princess for doing the right thing to protect its passengers and crew members. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who were set to cruise during the next two months will not like this decision, but it is in the best interest of the public.

March 12, 2020 5:40 AM PT / 8:40 AM ET

Princess Cruises Announces a Voluntary and Temporary Pause of its Global Ship Operations for 60 Days
Cruise Line Remains Committed to the Health, Safety and Well-Being of Guests, Team Members and Communities Visited Globally

Princess Cruises: Voluntary 60 Day Pause of Global Ship Operations - Notices & Advisories

Hi, catching up (can’t sleep but got a few hours rest and feel a lot better)..

Good point about obesity in the USA...How does USA diabetes statistics compare to China and other nations I wonder...

Melatonin?

Dang M
You've been giddy, dizzy, and sleep deprived, in the last while.
Slow and steady wins the race. Pace yourself.

Our country created our problem......

While some nations have struggled to get enough coronavirus test kits to diagnose suspected patients, South Korea has free and easy-to-access testing options. How this South Korean company created coronavirus test kits in three weeks - CNN

This is such an important article. This biotech company is producing test kits not only for S. Korea but for the world at low cost, and it describes the difference in efficiency of manual vs. automatic testing (which Cuomo in NY has been begging for). The barrier to getting these tests in the US is...the FDA. Woefully shortsighted and putting all our citizens at higher risk. For what?

Edited to replace efficacy with efficiency, two very different meanings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member