221 tests pending
365 being monitored
22 million residents, only 776 tested
major theme parks will close for 2 weeks
all public schools will be closed for 2 weeks
community spread going on
younger males 20-40's also multiplying
toilet paper is like the dodo bird

I've read of people that had symptoms but couldn't get tested because they had no fever. That was my point. Not everybody has a fever.
Yeah....IMO.....this push for not all to get tested is because we don't currently have the capacity to test all. But it will come in greater numbers...probably not all....

Florida=
testing trickling- 26 new cases overnight
1 new death for total of 3 deaths so far
77 cases in state
6 more diagnosed out of state
221 tests pending
365 being monitored
22 million residents, only 776 tested
major theme parks will close for 2 weeks
all public schools will be closed for 2 weeks
toilet paper is like the dodo bird
Enelram...feel your pain. Testing will come in FL, but I feel it will be after a great tragedy begins to occur in hospitals. What a risky population there.

"But, David Hui, a respiratory medicine expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong who studied the 2002 to 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) extensively, says it’s “common sense” that wearing a mask would protect against infectious diseases like COVID-19."
Why Face Masks Are Encouraged in Asia, but Shunned in the U.S.

PROFESSOR IAN DONALD.....UK HERD IMMUNITY PLAN

1. The govt strategy on #Coronavirus is more refined than those used in other countries and potentially very effective. But it is also riskier and based on a number of assumptions. They need to be correct, and the measures they introduce need to work when they are supposed to.

Professor Ian Donald on Twitter

2. This all assumes I'm correct in what I think the govt are doing and why. I could be wrong - and wouldn't be surprised. But it looks to me like. . .

3. A UK starting assumption is that a high number of the population will inevitably get infected whatever is done – up to 80%. As you can’t stop it, so it is best to manage it.
There are limited health resources so the aim is to manage the flow of the seriously ill to these.

4. The Italian model the aims to stop infection. The UKs wants infection BUT of particular categories of people. The aim of the UK is to have as many lower risk people infected as possible. Immune people cannot infect others; the more there are the lower the risk of infection.

5. That's herd immunity.
Based on this idea, at the moment the govt wants people to get infected, up until hospitals begin to reach capacity. At that they want to reduce, but not stop infection rate. Ideally they balance it so the numbers entering hospital = the number leaving.

6. That balance is the big risk.
All the time people are being treated, other mildly ill people are recovering and the population grows a higher percent of immune people who can’t infect. They can also return to work and keep things going normally - and go to the pubs.

7.The risk is being able to accurately manage infection flow relative to health case resources. Data on infection rates needs to be accurate, the measures they introduce need to work and at the time they want them to and to the degree they want, or the system is overwhelmed.

8. Schools: Kids generally won’t get very ill, so the govt can use them as a tool to infect others when you want to increase infection. When you need to slow infection, that tap can be turned off – at that point they close the schools. Politically risky for them to say this.

9. The same for large scale events - stop them when you want to slow infection rates; turn another tap off. This means schools etc are closed for a shorter period and disruption generally is therefore for a shorter period, AND with a growing immune population. This is sustainable.

10. After a while most of the population is immune, the seriously ill have all received treatment and the country is resistant. The more vulnerable are then less at risk. This is the end state the govt is aiming for and could achieve.

11. BUT a key issue during this process is protection of those for whom the virus is fatal. It's not clear the full measures there are to protect those people. It assumes they can measure infection, that their behavioural expectations are met - people do what they think they will.

12. The Italian (and others) strategy is to stop as much infection as possible - or all infection. This is appealing, but then what? The restrictions are not sustainable for months. So the will need to be relaxed. But that will lead to reemergence of infections.

13. Then rates will then start to climb again. So they will have to reintroduce the restrictions each time infection rates rise. That is not a sustainable model and takes much longer to achieve the goal of a largely immune population with low risk of infection of the vulnerable.

14. As the government tries to achieve equilibrium between hospitalisations and infections, more interventions will appear. It's perhaps why there are at the moment few public information films on staying at home. They are treading a tight path, but possibly a sensible one.

15. This is probably the best strategy, but they should explain it more clearly. It relies on a lot of assumptions, so it would be good to know what they are - especially behavioural. Most encouraging, it's way too clever for #BorisJohnson to have had any role in developing.

Who’s is Dr Fauci? A little bit of information about his background:

Dr. Anthony Fauci has become Trump's coronavirus truth teller - CNNPolitics

He joined the National Institutes of Health in 1968 and has been leading the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984. Since becoming director, he's advised every American president since Ronald Reagan. In 2008, he was awarded the Medal of Freedom.

His time at NIH in the 1980s was heavily focused on the HIV/AIDS crisis.

"I went from happy years of making people better to a period of close to a decade of the dark years in which most of my patients died," Fauci told the Infectious Diseases Society of America in 2011.

With his promotion to NIAID director, he became a public face of the federal response to the AIDS epidemic and, according to an interview with Vanderbilt University, labeled as an "incompetent idiot" and a "murderer" by AIDS activists.

He said when he brought protesters and activists into the fold, encouraging a dialogue with the NIH, their recommendations made "perfect sense."

Fauci has also worked on the federal response to Ebola, the Zika virus and anthrax scares.

In 2001, amid the anthrax scare following 9/11, Fauci's direct communication style was on apparent. As a debate across Washington was taking place about dangerous the anthrax found in Democratic Sen. Tom Daschle's office was, he said, according to The New York Times: "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck.''

"You can call it whatever you want to call it with regard to grade and size or weaponized or not weaponized. The fact is, it is acting like a highly efficient bioterrorist agent," Fauci said.

Last October, before the coronavirus took hold in the US, Fauci was working on a plan for a potential flu shot that doesn't have to be taken every year. He works six to seven days a week, from early morning until late at night, even when there isn't a crisis.

Fauci has turned down the opportunity to lead the National Institutes of Health more than once, telling Vanderbilt University: "If I took the NIH job, it would take me still one step further removed from what I really felt was the mission of what I wanted to accomplish."

Last edited:
WOW

Pelicans Star Zion Williamson Pledges to Pay the Salaries for Staffers of the Smoothie King Center

Pelicans Star Zion Williamson Pledges to Pay the Salaries for Staffers of the Smoothie King Center

“My mother has always set an example for me about being respectful for others and being grateful for what we have, and so today I am pledging to cover the salaries for all of those Smoothie King Center workers for the next 30 days,” Williamson wrote.

Thank You Zion’s mom, you did a great job raising your son!

WOW

“My mother has always set an example for me about being respectful for others and being grateful for what we have, and so today I am pledging to cover the salaries for all of those Smoothie King Center workers for the next 30 days,” Williamson wrote.

When so many are stockpiling, selling for profit and being selfish and greedy, it's good to see there are decent people thinking of others.

Someone here posted a link in the last thread to a Leslie Sansone walk at home workout on YouTube - whoever it was, thank you! I used to walk regularly to Leslie’s DVD’s and I’m happy to learn so many of her sessions are on YouTube. Sometimes (always) I think I spend too much time in my own head - especially in a time like this - and some gentle exercise is going to help ease the unease.
I’ve also looked at my kindle and realised I have so.many.unread books downloaded, so I’m going to set myself a ‘book-a-week’ challenge.
I’m someone who has always been happy to hang out with the cats and go nowhere - but I do feel sympathy for those social butterflies who thrive on being in company.

WOW

A *like* just isn’t enough. What a wonderful gesture ❤️

Here is a nice story that made this Mama proud. My daughter was sitting on a bench at the train station waiting for departure yesterday wearing a face mask. An old couple came to sit down but first the woman asked my daughter if she was ok. She said “yes my parents are making me wear this” . The woman said that was very smart. My daughter offered masks to the couple. The woman told my daughter “that’s the nicest thing anyone has done for us”. They were very stressed from traveling and had missed their train.

My sister had sent both my kids 10 masks each because the live in DC and NYC. She even video taped herself instructing them how to properly put them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member