Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As of this morning, I have GIVEN UP when folks I see on my Facebook feed have and disseminate incorrect information. They see it on the tv, and want to challenge even when I give more references to butress what I'm saying. As I said a week or so ago, I want to just say the Saturday Night Live quote of "Jane, you ignorant sl*t*. Sorry, I'm just not knowing how to help even my good friends get up to speed with what *I believe* is the reality. I am now moving to just posting information on my Facebook feed. If folks want to question, I'll answer as they must be interested to even do such as they are open. But I'm going to go crazy if I try to convince others that will not understand as we do here. It makes me so sad to be dismissed.. and what MSM and others placating *all is well, under control*... I disagree with.

It's gonna give me ulcers unless I do so, and sad to not be able to help my friends as I just don't know how to.

Suggestions anyone?

I just got in a pretty bad argument with my cousin about this whole thing. She feels it is a conspiracy and we will all be fine. I don't know to handle that at all right now other than blocking her texts for a while. With me being on the brink already with my mom scheduled to have half of her lung removed next week in a hospital full of viral patients - going "no contact" for a little might help. I think it's important to keep up with media but not with the noise that people following it are creating.

NYC

Steven Bognar

@Bogs4NY

BREAKING: 814 cases of novel Coronavirus in #NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio: ALL New Yorkers should be prepared for a 'shelter in place order' within the next 48 hours #nbc4ny

2:38 PM · Mar 17, 2020·TweetDeck

Wow.

—-/

New Yorkers should be prepared for a 'shelter in place order,' Mayor Bill de Blasio says
UPDATED 6 MIN AGO

“New Yorkers should prepare for a “shelter-in-place” order in the coming days as local officials try to contain the fast-moving coronavirus that’s spreading throughout the U.S., New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday, adding that a decision will be made in the next 48 hours.

“We are all deeply concerned ... this is quite clear this is a fast growing crisis,” he said at a press conference. “All New Yorkers, even though a decision has not been made by the city or the state, I think that all New Yorkers should be prepared right now for the possibility of a shelter-in-place order.”

There are now 814 confirmed cases in New York City, he said, adding that 248 are in Queens, 277 in Manhattan, 157 in Brooklyn, 96 in the Bronx and 36 in Staten Island. Seven people in the city have died so far, he said.”
-more at link

As of this morning, I have GIVEN UP when folks I see on my Facebook feed have and disseminate incorrect information. They see it on the tv, and want to challenge even when I give more references to butress what I'm saying. As I said a week or so ago, I want to just say the Saturday Night Live quote of "Jane, you ignorant sl*t*. Sorry, I'm just not knowing how to help even my good friends get up to speed with what *I believe* is the reality. I am now moving to just posting information on my Facebook feed. If folks want to question, I'll answer as they must be interested to even do such as they are open. But I'm going to go crazy if I try to convince others that will not understand as we do here. It makes me so sad to be dismissed.. and what MSM and others placating *all is well, under control*... I disagree with.

It's gonna give me ulcers unless I do so, and sad to not be able to help my friends as I just don't know how to.

Suggestions anyone?

I just got in a pretty bad argument with my cousin about this whole thing. She feels it is a conspiracy and we will all be fine. I don't know to handle that at all right now other than blocking her texts for a while. With me being on the brink already with my mom scheduled to have half of her lung removed next week in a hospital full of viral patients - going "no contact" for a little might help. I think it's important to keep up with media but not with the noise that people following it are creating.

My opinion of the "Whole Foods" employees, is that right now, unless your employer lets you work from home, or you are laid off, go to work, like the rest of us. I am at work, interacting with people, just like they are.

But, a follow up, is that right now, people are hyped up. I mean, escalation is on the tip of any interaction. I recognized this today, in several interactions, that are normal "business", today, turned into some major **** storms. People are on edge.

Geez, our grand daughter wanted to write up which relatives she wants to live with in case her parents die. That is some major weird conversation for dinner.
I agree! Super high anxiety for people today.

Wizard falling down on the job....
Well ALL the newspapers are reporting what you posted but my notes say he said,
"I am suspending immediately at 5 pm today the sale of alcoholic beverages in bars and nightclubs for 30 days." A reporter later asked him if he they could sell alcohol if they took it off property and Gov. answered "Yeah, if they took it curbside."
We'll see.

Suggestions anyone?

Delete your Facebook.

Lol. I know that's not an easy proposition for some people, but I deleted mine almost four years ago and have never regretted it for a second, especially in light of their ethically dubious business practices. I'm less anxious and my overall mental health is better.

If nothing else, consider giving it a break. It's hard to resist feeling a responsibility to correct disinformation, but we need you for the long haul. Take care of yourself.

Mayor Warns NYC to Prepare for Potential Shelter-in-Place Order Amid ‘Fast-Growing Crisis’
In the absence of uniform national standards issued by the federal government, Govs. Andrew Cuomo, Phil Murphy and Ned Lamont have implemented their own set of coordinated rules for the tri-state area
Published March 17, 2020• Updated 2 mins ago

“Mayor Bill de Blasio told New Yorkers Tuesday to prepare for a potential citywide shelter-in-place order. While no state or city mandate has been issued at this time, the mayor said "we are deeply concerned about the direction and trajectory" of infection. A decision would be likely within 48 hours.

Earlier in the day, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said any such order would require state approval. The city of San Francisco, though, has implemented a similar order in several counties to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Describing the city's plight as a "fast-growing crisis," de Blasio added hundreds of new cases to the number Cuomo had given for NYC just hours earlier. By mid-afternoon Tuesday, New York City coronavirus cases had surpassed 800, according to the mayor. Seven NYC residents have died, along with five others across the state. The death toll in New Jersey held at three as of Tuesday.

Curve Not Flattening Fast Enough
Earlier Tuesday, Cuomo warned that New York state coronavirus infections may not peak for 45 days, projecting the state could need up to 110,000 hospital beds -- a number that simply dwarfs the current capacity.

Unprecedented restrictions have already been implemented. Cuomo said more aggressive measures are "likely" to come with the curve showing no signs of flattening out.”

Mayor Warns NYC to Prepare for Potential Shelter-in-Place Order Amid ‘Fast-Growing Crisis’

My daughter just got the email that her university will extend remote instruction through the end of the spring semester. Additionally (this doesn't apply to her directly), they will not be having spring commencement ceremonies. I fear there will be plenty of disappointment, sadness, and sacrifice in the months to come for many people.

When I have conversations with people about the virus, such as health professionals or work colleagues, I first say that I understand that everyone has to make their own decision for themselves about what is best for them. I tell them what I intend to do and expect that they will respect my decision.

You cannot change anyone's mind about the virus any more than you can convince someone to change their mind about politics or religion. All you can do is suggest once what they might consider for themselves and leave it at that. My experience is that everyone eventually comes around to taking it seriously - some need a lot more time than others.

As of this morning, I have GIVEN UP when folks I see on my Facebook feed have and disseminate incorrect...RSBM

Suggestions anyone?

I’ve worked with feral and stray cats. Over the years, I’ve learned something that applies to people just as much as it does to cats, “you can only help them as much as they’ll let you” Some people sadly have the “it won’t affect me, why should I worry” or the “it’ll be over in a couple of weeks - storm in a teacup” mentality. Sadly, the only time they’ll understand and agree with your view is when they or their loved ones are confirmed to have the virus. IMO JMO

Trump is on tv now saying we have "plenty" of respirators and equipment. I trust the doctors on this one.

I disagree and have voiced my concern thru both Senators and directly to the President. Don't know if its a state by state situation or global. I kinda got the impress from today's presser, some states just were not prepared.

It is a federal mandate under Homeland Security States, hospital and medical companies must prepare, have supplies and a response team for any and all emergencies. It's called a Hazardous Vulnerability Analysis (HVA). HLS made it really easy, they list everything from high wind to terrorist attack. You rate the likelihood of the peril in your community and everything must have a detailed plan. The high likelihood perils are the ones most of the money, training and prep are spent on.

I do know Virginia did not have a stock pile. It was only about a couple hundred mask. Stockpile is subjective my toilet paper stockpile maybe to rolls and others 10. My local HD only received 6, yes 6 from the State of Virginia, the excuse was "you don't have any proved cases".

I have 4 boxes of N95s that are now approved. They are from the industrial side, look the same and now FDA has approved for medical use. I called my buddies on the local Emergent Response Team and offered up two boxes. Hey, were all in this together.

I'm not hearing that complaint from my NC or SC medical professional friends. Hum.....

What does it mean to shelter in place?
The order was issued for the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City may make a similar demand
Published 2 hours ago

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides basic guidelines for “how to shelter in place,” which include stocking up on supplies, finding a safe spot to hunker down indoors and, simply staying put. The CDC also emphasized that different types of emergencies called for different shelter-in-place responses.

On Monday, San Francisco officials announced a shelter-in-place order for the Bay Area’s 7 million residents, requiring that they stay inside and venture out only for food, medicine or exercise for three weeks.“

When all of this is behind us, I want my children to remember how their home felt during this time of confusion and uncertainty. My choices and behavior will teach them how to respond to stress and anxiety in their own lives. I want them to remember that we played board games and we went on bike rides. That their mom is terrible at video games. That our living room became my daughter's art studio so she could continue her college classes. That a friend let my son borrow his guitar so he could use YouTube videos to finally learn how to play.

Yes, things were cancelled. Yes, life had to change and we missed out on things. Yes, we had disappointments and challenges. Yes, we experienced loss. But we did it together and we tried to be happy and resilient. And when one of us wasn't, the others helped until they were again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member