Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Simply Southern
VA seems very ill-prepared. I think it's strange considering how close it is to DC. Thank you for doing your best to obtain supplies. Do you think it's strange that Richmond has no cases yet? Are they just not testing? How could a city that size not have one case?

Yes, Richmond having none is very strange. Most of the test are being done in the Peninsula area. You know where the Governor came from. Also, we still only have 150 to 300 kits, its two kits per person for a negative. One today and one 24 hours from now, reducing the number of people.

You know he only closed the school state wide when the Chesterfield County teachers were planning to strike FRI.

Sweden is stopping all non-necessary travel into Sweden from March 19 and 30 days forward. Swedes abroad and people living in Sweden can of course get back home, but no visitors. Senaste nytt om coronaviruset

High schools and universities will close, and students are to continue their studies on the web, as most, if not all, students have access to computers and internet. Pre-schools and schools for those under 16 are still open, a discussion is underway about the closing of all schools. Much depends on how it will be possible to prepare for childcare for those children who have parents working at hospitals, in health care and other areas that have to function, no matter what kind of crisis there are. Så blixtförbereder sig Sverige för att kunna stänga skolor

Wow.

—-/

New Yorkers should be prepared for a 'shelter in place order,' Mayor Bill de Blasio says
UPDATED 6 MIN AGO

“New Yorkers should prepare for a “shelter-in-place” order in the coming days as local officials try to contain the fast-moving coronavirus that’s spreading throughout the U.S., New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday, adding that a decision will be made in the next 48 hours.

“We are all deeply concerned ... this is quite clear this is a fast growing crisis,” he said at a press conference. “All New Yorkers, even though a decision has not been made by the city or the state, I think that all New Yorkers should be prepared right now for the possibility of a shelter-in-place order.”

There are now 814 confirmed cases in New York City, he said, adding that 248 are in Queens, 277 in Manhattan, 157 in Brooklyn, 96 in the Bronx and 36 in Staten Island. Seven people in the city have died so far, he said.”
-more at link
WOW !!
Considering on Friday he mentioned nothing was being done and he did not implement any instructions--so now their Confirmed cases number has risen SMH

Someone brought this up on the last thread about how to self isolate if someone in the home is suspected of having the virus and you want to avoid other family members getting it.

In our household of two, we were just talking about that last night. We concluded that there is about two options.

One option is to pay for a motel room or if another vacant place is available, to have either the affected person or the non affected person stay in a separate place for a period of time. That option is obviously a difficult one to choose for many reasons but we did consider that and have it as a possibility. The other option is to create an isolated room in the home for the sick person and try to confine that person as best as possible to that room to avoid spreading germs to other members of the household.

For option 2 and due to the fact that germs can live on surfaces for a period of time and due to the fact it may not be obvious when the affected person is fully cured and not shedding virus anymore, it makes it difficult to know how long the affected person should remain isolated. And of course pets like dogs and cats become an almost impossible thing to avoid having contact with. We know that pets are not supposed to be able to catch it, but I do wonder about a wet dogs nose coming up to an affected person and then immediately going to greet a healthy family members. Transfer of virus from one person to another by a wet friendly pet's nose is not something I have seen studied yet. I seriously doubt I would be able to have one of us isolated in the home and not be able to greet our beloved dog.

Based on risk of the unaffected family members catching it, we concluded option 1 is probably the safer option but causes the most disruption and can be costly. Option 2 is probably what we will do but we expect we will fail and probably both end up getting sick if one of us catches it.

Its so important for everyone to try to avoid catching it to begin with. That way, we are not faced with these tough decisions.

I'm choosing option #1 for my son to self-isolate for 2 weeks after return from international travel. I have discovered that boutique hotels may have to close restaurants, but they will keep a chef on hand to provide room service. That works for me.

How about a thread dedicated to the financial aspects of this crisis? CNN is now reporting the possibility of another Depression.
Definitely a recession underway.... beancounter here..... just never thought a virus would be the trigger. In Dec 2018, my brother in law poo poo ‘d my talk of a recession in late 2019.... Hmmmm. I’m not telling him to hang on tight for the next 24 months. He’s 60. He’ll figure it out.

But seriously, I’m predicting a 2 year recession. Fall of 2022 - at that point a vaccine will be readily available, the markets will have recovered and we will all breathe a sigh of relief. Go read up on historical cyclical markets. JMO

If you’re in the market, stay in the market. If you’re young, have cash laying around, get in the market now. JMO

The minute you lose your job, log on to your states unemployment site and food pantry site. JMO

It has finally hit my county in Southern New Jersey. In fact, in a nearby town about 10 miles from here and also where my father lives. He's 87 and never leaves the house anyway, so hoping no problem there. Also a big college town and the students there were sent home last week.

Reported to be couple who traveled internationally. Male, 59 is in local hospital. Female, 57, is at home and is asymptomatic.

Note, not sure whether she has actually tested positive or presumptive positive, or if the reporting got it wrong. She has no symptoms so could be disturbing if she does have it.

Last edited:
One of my worries was that vets would shut down. I am very relieved to know that my vet is taking extreme precautions, but also handling emergency care of pets. Big shout out to all the healthcare employees, even the ones that help our fur babies!

I will be doing a curbside pick up of my cat’s meds today.

I agree! Super high anxiety for people today.

Gosh I actually thought that was a heartless response by the original poster to the plight of those poor workers. And actually also doesn’t make sense. If Whole Foods is not allowing their workers to wear facemasks and is not paying them enough to stay home when sick, they’re enabling spread of this disease through workers.

But it’s heartless to suggest these poor workers need to just buck up and work as demanded by their employers. They’re working in super stressed and scary conditions and are at grave risk of infection.

They should be allowed to wear masks and paid double time. I know a supermarket sales exec who is making huge piles of money right now due to the surge in sales.

They need to instead translate that to their poor workers and ensure that the sick can stay home.

Definitely a recession underway.... beancounter here..... just never thought a virus would be the trigger. In Dec 2018, my brother in law poo poo ‘d my talk of a recession in late 2019.... Hmmmm. I’m not telling him to hang on tight for the next 24 months. He’s 60. He’ll figure it out.

But seriously, I’m predicting a 2 year recession. Fall of 2020 - at that point a vaccine will be readily available, the markets will have recovered and we will all breathe a sigh of relief. Go read up on historical cyclical markets. JMO

If you’re in the market, stay in the market. If you’re young, have cash laying around, get in the market now. JMO

The minute you lose your job, log on to your states unemployment site and food pantry site. JMO

If the US does a good job of containment and response we will be world hero's.

I see a lot of Medical manufacturing returning to the US. Even if we have to provide government support, we NEED our vital resource on US soil. Imo....

My elderly people in my family with serious medical issues are not listening to me and going to stores and such when they have people who will help them and bring them what they need in a heartbeat! All they have to do is pick up the phone!

It’s stubbornness only. That’s what it is.

Not happy and very upset that they have now taken major risks for nothing!!!! They went inside the pharmacy of all places.

My Point:

Do not expect some stubborn people who are elderly to cooperate either. It’s not just young people taking risks and not following directions.

Taking some time off to stew.

I was talking about mental health earlier.

I am through the ROOF right now.

They might have just made a mistake that could cost them their lives.

Why?! Because they’re stubborn!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members