Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus updates: 81 deaths in N.J.; Possible mortgage relief; More testing sites open; U.S. cases top China. What you need to know. (March 27, 2020)
Updated 9:02 AM

PA4ZSZBPJJC7LBG4B2T7FEQKYI.JPG

Staff in protective equipment prepare to test people at a drive-through COVID-19 testing site at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, N.J., Tuesday, March 24, 2020.Seth Wenig/AP

“New Jersey saw its largest, by far, single-day increase in coronavirus cases Thursday, adding another 2,492 positive test results to bring the total to 6,876 with 81 known deaths.

The United States now has more COVID-19 cases than any country in the world, with 85,996.”

Wow just wow. To have watched this journey from the beginning and to finally arrive here, is, a “grim milestone”, as Doc T would call it. MOO

We are testing, testing, testing! The PNC Arts Center in Holmdel is a large testing facility and accepting ONLY NJ residents (bring ID) whether or not you have a doctors note but you do have to show symptoms. yeah! Tomorrow they are offering tests to first responders and medical personnel only (bring ID) so they do not have to wait in line or be turned away because of the volume.

Our local county college will start testing Monday but you need a doctor’s note. I believe county testing is opening up elsewhere, if it hasn’t already, in addition to the mass testing at PNC.

Testing, testing, testing! So, what is YOUR state doing??

SOUTHERN OREGON NEWS ROUNDUP (For WSers who live here)

Although the Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s closing earlier this month was a necessary result of the governor’s mandate that groups be limited to under 250 (now we are to stay home), and was a huge blow to the local economy, the lay-off of 80% of employees adds another nail in the coffin. They plan to reopen Sept. 8.

Oregon Shakespeare Festival says it will lay off 80 percent of its staff due to COVID-19

OSF lays off majority of staff - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Three more cases in Jackson County for a total of seven. Now in phase of rapid community spread.

Jackson County Health: 3 new cases, "now in rapid community spread."

Jackson County now in 'rapid community spread' as confirmed COVID-19 cases rise to seven

Jackson County jail will not be releasing prisoners due to COVID-19. (Whew!)

Jackson County Jail is not releasing inmates due to COVID-19

PPE drive to continue, along with donations of everyday items at the Jackson county Expo. Volunteers needed.

Jackson County in 'immediate need' of volunteers, PPE and other donations

One more case in Josephine county for a total of five.

Josephine County: 1 new case of COVID-19 brings total to 5

So true. I just dropped off a lot of stuff to one of our stores and am headed to another right now. Most of what I dropped off was food to our employee break room so they don’t have to worry about bringing breakfast, lunch or dinner during this time. Heard a few grumbles about having to be at work but all I could think was “me too, but I’m extremely grateful we all still have a job and are able to be working”
You are lovely....:):)

#BREAKING: @HALcruises confirms 4 passengers aboard a #Florida-bound ship have died. Holland America says almost 150 more people have flu-like symptoms. 2 tested positive for #COVID19 #coronavirus @10NewsWTSP
4 passengers dead on Holland America cruise ship headed to Florida
Angelina Salcedo on Twitter

The Zaandam ship has been anchored off the coast of Panama awaiting permission to travel through the Panama Canal on its way back to Florida.

Video at link / Coast Guard rescues cruise ship worker off Cape Canaveral coast:

Cruise ship deaths: 4 dead on Florida bound Holland America ship
Updated: 2:06 PM EDT Mar 27, 2020

“Holland America Line can confirm that four older guests have passed away on Zaandam. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and we are doing everything we can to support them during this difficult time,” the statement said.

Initially, the ship was granted permission to disembark in Punta Arenas, Chile, but it was later rescinded, according to a statement from the cruise line earlier this week.”

[...]

“There are 1,243 guests and 586 crew on board.”

[...]

“Holland America said the plan for the ship is still being finalized, but it is working with Panamanian authorities on approval to travel the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale.”

Lol, nurses don't "quit"!
If they were quitters, they'd have never made it through nursing school.
My class started out with 70.
1st night we got 7 HOURS of homework, only 40 showed up the next day. As time went on, bedpans, watching a 6 hour bowel surgery on a elderly woman who had an epidural and ativan, but was awake. She would wake up every now and then and ask if she was still alive.
Witnessing patients die and going to watch autopsies.
Being forced to take the stairs and never use an elevator unless with a patient and having to stand up whenever a doctor entered the nurses station, regardless of the number of chairs...
We graduated 18!
Moo
I'm retired now, but nurses rock!
AMEN my Sister in nursing!!

WASHINGTON

"Half of patients with #COVID19 #Coronavirus a Seattle-area nursing home had no symptoms when tested, official @CDCgov and King County report finds."

"And it spread quickly. '16 days after introduction of SARS-CoV-2 ... facility-wide testing identified a 30.3% prevalence of infection among residents, indicating very rapid spread, despite early adoption of infection prevention and control measures."

"Relying on symptoms to isolate patients doesn't work, the team concludes. Better to presume that once anyone has #COVID19 in a facility such as a nursing home, that everyone has it and act accordingly."

"A week after testing, 10 of the 13 who tested positive without symptoms developed fever (8 of them), malaise (6), and cough (5). On average it took 3 days to develop symptoms."

Maggie Fox on Twitter

So true. I just dropped off a lot of stuff to one of our stores and am headed to another right now. Most of what I dropped off was food to our employee break room so they don’t have to worry about bringing breakfast, lunch or dinner during this time. Heard a few grumbles about having to be at work but all I could think was “me too, but I’m extremely grateful we all still have a job and are able to be working”

You are one SUPER lady and really smart!!!

Breaking bread, brings people together!!!

I always feed staff and emergency personnel during emergencies.
Also, cuts down on those with HANGRY attacks. Keep those blood sugars up!!

Moo...

Yes, everyone is free to hold their own opinion and yes, it should be stated as such, but the question is: is it a worthwhile opinion? Opinions don't affect facts, but facts should affect opinions. When we are flooded with so much information about Covid, it's important to know the difference. moo ;)
Standing O for this post. So worth repeating.

Yes, everyone is free to hold their own opinion and yes, it should be stated as such, but the question is: is it a worthwhile opinion? Opinions don't affect facts, but facts should affect opinions. When we are flooded with so much information about Covid, it's important to know the difference. moo ;)

BBM. I think (iow, my opinion) is our opinions can't be stated as fact. At least, that is my take on the TOS.

Coronavirus: 3 more deaths and 302 new cases in Ireland confirmed

(Ireland)

A FURTHER 302 cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed in the Republic of Ireland, bringing the total here to 2,121.

Three more deaths connected to the coronavirus have also been confirmed.

The details were confirmed this evening at a briefing by Department of Health officials.

The deaths include one person in the north-west of the country and two females in the east.
There have now been 22 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

Earlier today, three more deaths from Covid-19 were confirmed in Northern Ireland with the total number of cases rising to 275.

More on USNS Mercy and USNS Comfort:

They used to be oil tankers. Now they're hospital ships deployed to help during the coronavirus pandemic - CNN

200327113940-hospital-ship-arrives-trnd-medium-plus-169.jpg

USNS Mercy arriving at port in Los Angeles, California Friday morning

“The USNS Mercy reached Los Angeles on Friday morning, while the USNS Comfort is set to arrive in New York City in a few days.
The ships will be used for relocating shore-based patients undergoing treatments that are not coronavirus-related.”

*For more about these ships, see my post here

just got an emergency alert in Ontario, Canada that is usually used for amber alerts telling all returning travellers to go straight home, do not shop, do not visit, isolate for 14 days
It is a sensible statement but it doesn't take into consideration that people arriving by car can be many, many miles from home and will stop for gas and pick up snacks, etc. Not really well thought out, IMO.

SOUTHERN OREGON NEWS ROUNDUP (For WSers who live here)

Although the Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s closing earlier this month was a necessary result of the governor’s mandate that groups be limited to under 250 (now we are to stay home), and was a huge blow to the local economy, the lay-off of 80% of employees adds another nail in the coffin. They plan to reopen Sept. 8.

Oregon Shakespeare Festival says it will lay off 80 percent of its staff due to COVID-19

OSF lays off majority of staff - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Three more cases in Jackson County for a total of seven. Now in phase of rapid community spread.

Jackson County Health: 3 new cases, "now in rapid community spread."

Jackson County now in 'rapid community spread' as confirmed COVID-19 cases rise to seven

Jackson County jail will not be releasing prisoners due to COVID-19. (Whew!)

Jackson County Jail is not releasing inmates due to COVID-19

PPE drive to continue, along with donations of everyday items at the Jackson county Expo. Volunteers needed.

Jackson County in 'immediate need' of volunteers, PPE and other donations

One more case in Josephine county for a total of five.

Josephine County: 1 new case of COVID-19 brings total to 5

Thanks for this, lilibet. I hadn't checked our local numbers yet this morning and hate to see the community spread. :( I'm so thankful my son is no longer working.

Me too. I rolled my eyes at myself this morning as I caught myself thinking, ‘oh, but I want to make soup - I need a pot of basil!’
I find myself constantly having to remind myself of @cody22’s post from the other day, ‘I have enough food and TP, I have enough money to pay the bills’
Adjusting to the new normal is sometimes hard...but I/we have so much to still be grateful for.
So true. About 6 weeks ago I was perusing Amazon to find a new wrist strap for my camera, and noting they have new down jackets at about a third the price of beaners. Somehow I thought those purchases were something I really needed.
"Yesterday"

WASHINGTON

"Half of patients with #COVID19 #Coronavirus a Seattle-area nursing home had no symptoms when tested, official @CDCgov and King County report finds."

"And it spread quickly. '16 days after introduction of SARS-CoV-2 ... facility-wide testing identified a 30.3% prevalence of infection among residents, indicating very rapid spread, despite early adoption of infection prevention and control measures."

"Relying on symptoms to isolate patients doesn't work, the team concludes. Better to presume that once anyone has #COVID19 in a facility such as a nursing home, that everyone has it and act accordingly."

"A week after testing, 10 of the 13 who tested positive without symptoms developed fever (8 of them), malaise (6), and cough (5). On average it took 3 days to develop symptoms."

Maggie Fox on Twitter
Remember the daycare in Acworth?
I can't remember what day that was. (MARCH 9th!)
The teacher had it. His 3yr old must have had it with no symptoms because his dad is SO SICK RIGHT NOW!!!
Of course he can't get a test and was sent home.
I feel so bad for him!
He started getting sick the 23rd.
14 days after picking up his child.
Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics