Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you been leaving your mail untouched for at least 24 hours after delivery? I leave mine in the mailbox until the end of the weekend (no mail delivery on weekends).
I get strange looks from the neighbors.

I spray the mailbox before opening, use a wipe to open, spray inside and use a stick to rake any mail into a bucket.
I spray the bucket and leave it for a few days.

My cousin takes it a step further and wears a trash bag outside with armholes and head cut out.

Iowa news today. No detailed list. IMO, they are working on a new more detailed website and are having many problems.
189 new positive cases of COVID-19 added in Iowa; 6 additional deaths
DES MOINES, Iowa (KCRG) - Governor Kim Reynolds on Tuesday announced 189 new cases of COVID-19 in the state in addition to 6 deaths. This brings the total number of positive cases to 1,899 and 49 total deaths.

Outbreaks at Iowa care centers grow, infecting more than 200
LULAC accuses Iowa of failing to provide translated COVID-19 information

It's important to keep that in the news to ensure that no one steps forward claiming they were stopped for some other reason. Everyone being stopped to ensure that people are on essential errands is important for everyone to understand.
Everyone I speak to realizes this and are pleased they are out and about. Not to mention their presence may keep crime down.

Have you been leaving your mail untouched for at least 24 hours after delivery? I leave mine in the mailbox until the end of the weekend (no mail delivery on weekends).
Yes I took out two weeks worth today - it’s sitting on a table in my porch mostly junk but I have to get work mail - I leave it on a filing cabinet then go wash my hands and open only what I think is important and leave the rest then wash my hands again

Iowa news today. No detailed list. IMO, they are working on a new more detailed website and are having many problems.
189 new positive cases of COVID-19 added in Iowa; 6 additional deaths
DES MOINES, Iowa (KCRG) - Governor Kim Reynolds on Tuesday announced 189 new cases of COVID-19 in the state in addition to 6 deaths. This brings the total number of positive cases to 1,899 and 49 total deaths.

Outbreaks at Iowa care centers grow, infecting more than 200
LULAC accuses Iowa of failing to provide translated COVID-19 information

Good for you. The people around the block had some kind of "party" where people drove by and honked.

I hugged my daughter briefly (we take care of our granddaughter in any case - we're all sharing germs at this point). Daughter is not in social contact with anyone for a month, same with granddaughter. However, that's going to change soon.

As things reopen, we older people are going to feel way more isolated than we do now, I fear.

My brother asked whether I'd been on my racing bike - currently attached to a trainer in the living room. He has a stationary bike that he uses daily. Another friend called and she was on her elliptical today. People care about each other in new ways.

I haven't hugged my son since he left for Australia in January. He delivers food to me, keeps a safe distance, makes me smile, and is on his way, mindful of how close we are.

Isolation is difficult. In some ways, it leaves us appreciating simpler things. I actually had a bit of a scare a couple of weeks ago where I woke up and just kept going back to sleep thinking that there's no reason to get up. At noon, I finally snapped out of it, realizing that unable to get out of bed is a symptom of depression. The next day, when I woke up at 6:15, I was up and moving. With the isolation, we have to be more careful to keep routines minus those outside our home.

I get strange looks from the neighbors.

I spray the mailbox before opening, use a wipe to open, spray inside and use a stick to rake any mail into a bucket.
I spray the bucket and leave it for a few days.

My cousin takes it a step further and wears a trash bag outside with armholes and head cut out.

My daughter sent me a family photo and it sat in the garage for a week with the other mail. I've put plastic grocery bags on my hands to collect the mail. Then I decided that if I just leave it in the mailbox for a week until the weekend, when no one touches the mailbox for 48 hours, it's good to just bring into the house, bare hands, and open it.

Coronavirus and women leaders. Gotta read this. What countries have the best response to the virus? THEY ARE ALL LED BY WOMEN. No lockdown. No shuttering schools.
What Do Countries With The Best Coronavirus Responses Have In Common? Women Leaders

Canada's leadership in the Public Health Response is almost all women.

"Judging by numbers of deaths from the COVID-19 outbreak in Canada, the country has been handling the coronavirus outbreak comparatively well. Less than 1,000 deaths due to COVID-19 have been reported in total, despite it being one of the first countries outside of China to report cases back in late January..."

Women Are Leading Canada’s Public Health Response To The COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak

I’m glad to see others here posting about “clean eating”.

We all have our vices but this can be a good opportunity for some people to go with less flour, sugar, all those “enemies” to our bodies. Of course we have to give ourselves these treats or we’ll go crazy lol.

As for me, especially due to fibromyalgia, I eat very, very clean. No preservatives, no sugar, no flour, no processed foods, no high fructose corn syrup, no modified corn starch, no gluten, no hormones, no factory farming, free range, humanely raised, the list goes on. (Occasionally I’ll spurge on pizza or bread)

As I mentioned I’m so grateful for the food but the only soup they had in the store was progresso which has modified corn starch in it. My body hasn’t had these things and I hope it handles it okay because I have little choice.

Anyway I don’t do factory farming and requested an uncured free range no sodium erythrobite, nitrate etc ham. Well as I mentioned before, the shopper grabbed what he could which I soooo do appreciate and am very grateful for. Unfortunately it’s from Smithfield LoL. Yes the plant with 300 sick workers that’s shutting down. I’m grossed about to think about a bunch of CV positive people coughing and handling this ham. CDC said last month there is no risk of transmission, especially if you cook it, but it’s still far from appetizing.

Anyway I haven’t had nitrates in my body in who knows how long. And from a factory type plant ugg.

It’s either eat this Coronavirus exposed chemically ridden and factory farmed piece of meat or starve Lol. I’m so grossed out by it I thought about tossing it but what a waste of food that would be and I WOULD NEVeR waste food, especially now.

I thought about seeing if I can trade it for some beer or something with a neighbor haha.

I’d gladly donate it if I could get out there to do so. I know people would love to have a ham right now.

Anyway, I’m going to cook and brown the heck out of it in slices, then put it in small portions in the back of the freezer for when I absolutely absolutely have to eat it. I’ll be very grateful when that time happens to have it, I’m sure. Right now I look at it and call it my “coronavirus ham”.

Let us know when it starts please, pocketaccent. :)

I hear you Magz. We have a very similar diet at our house, mainly due to food allergies that have made us hyper aware of what is in our foods. When I started reading food labels I started to realize how much junk is in our processed food. I do buy some organic sugar and some GF processed foods but I try to limited them. I didn't buy a ham this year for Easter because the only brand in my store was Smithfield (not because of the virus but because of the nitrates and other ingredients). I haven't been able to get grassfed beef for over a month. On my last shopping trip I got some conventional ground beef because it was only beef they had. It was very fatty and not pleasant to eat-- but we ate it anyway disguised in a casserole. We haven't keeled over yet, LOL. Cook up that ham and put it in something-- a hash, stir-fry, bean soup, baked beans, etc, and maybe you won't notice the taste of the ingredients you don't normally eat. And if you do notice the taste of the nitrates at least you know you don't have coronavirus-- you can still taste/smell. I'm happy every day I can smell my milk and tell it hasn't gone sour yet. And I'm happy if I can tell it's starting to turn bad too, because at least I can still smell and taste things, LOL. I'm trying to focus on the positives. We will get through this! :)

Last edited:
Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
The majority of people hospitalized in the U.S. with #COVID19 are under the age of 65.
EVliZF0WAAYAAom.png

3:10 PM - 14 Apr 2020

#COVID19 testing in the U.S. continues to ramp up; and in hot spot states like New York, New Jersey, Louisiana sharply exceeds the testing density in other countries.
EVll8r2XsAUQfZK.png
EVll8r4X0AI0X9r.png

3:26 PM - 14 Apr 2020

Intensive Care Unit (ICU) admissions for #COVID19 by age. 10% of those admitted to ICU's in the U.S. with COVID19 are aged 20-44 and 16% are aged 45-54; reflecting measurable morbidity among younger patients.
EVmR36nXYAMMple.png

6:34 PM - 14 Apr 2020

Norah O'Donnell on Twitter (Video)
We spoke to @ScottGottliebMD tonight about what the risk will be when Americans do go back to work. He told us: "This is an infection that's going to be with us for a long time. We're going to have to learn to live with some element of risk here."
6:44 PM - 14 Apr 2020

CBS Evening News on Twitter (Video)
.@NorahODonnell: What systems need to be in place to reopen the economy? @ScottGottliebMD: "You want the ability to broadly test the population. The other thing is reserve capacity in the health care system...we need to make sure the health care system is no longer overwhelmed."
6:45 PM - 14 Apr 2020

.@NorahODonnell: "What is the acceptable level of risk that Americans should be able to take in order to return to work?" @ScottGottliebMD: "This is an infection that's going to be with us for a long time. We're going have to learn to live with some element of risk here."
6:47 PM - 14 Apr 2020

.@ScottGottliebMD: "I think we're going to face a bigger risk heading into the fall as we go back to school, as college campuses go back into session. And the fact that this virus probably has a seasonal component to it...where it's going to want to come back."
6:48 PM - 14 Apr 2020

.@NorahODonnell: "What do you see as the most promising prevaccine treatments out there?" @ScottGottliebMD: "There's a number of antivirals that act directly on the virus itself, a handful in advance development that could potentially be available within the next several months."
6:50 PM - 14 Apr 2020

.@ScottGottliebMD: "We don't need a magic cure here. We don't need a magic bullet. We don't need something that cures the virus. We can have a therapeutic toolbox that can mitigate the risk of the virus and help prevent spread in certain patients."
[URL="https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-pandemic-covid-19-latest-news-2020-04-14/"]Coronavirus updates: U.S. death toll tops 25,000 [/URL]
6:51 PM - 14 Apr 2020

Ezra Klein on Twitter
"We need to assume that a vaccine may be two years away," says @ScottGottliebMD. But there's a near-term possibility of combining antivirals and therapeutic antibodies as a bridge to a vaccine:
Scott Gottlieb on how, and when, to end social distancing
3:15 PM - 14 Apr 2020

I have already decided that if anyone tells me that I have to return to work in person in Sept. I will fight it. I want to see that there is no second wave in October or November. I want to know that other people are safe in the community before I check to see if I'm safe in the community.

People who want proof that it is safe should expect to wait 2 years, IMHO.

Maybe this has been discussed, but here is some interesting data. Sweden is letting it rip.

No significant measures against COVID-19 in an effort to minimize economic damage and induce herd immunity in the population. Here is Sweden's curve for hospital resources from IHME, indicative of the onset and end of their national exposure.

View attachment 243048

IHME predicts 18,000 deaths in Sweden from COVID-19. This is one out of every 555 people.

For contrast, the U.S. with preventative measures is predicted to lose 68,000 people or one out of every 4700 people. Scaling Sweden's numbers for population suggests that if the U.S. were to have avoided preventative measures, the U.S. would have had around 600,000 deaths in a short period of time, and probably considerably more since the health care system would have been overrun.

Sweden's peak is due in 3.5 weeks. It is worth watching closely, but could get very ugly.

I don't understand why they took such an astonishing risk. Have the people supported this, or was it just misguided leadership? I've been watching their numbers too, to see if social distancing truly makes a difference, and the results have convinced me already.

I have already decided that if anyone tells me that I have to return to work in person in Sept. I will fight it. I want to see that there is no second wave in October or November. I want to know that other people are safe in the community before I check to see if I'm safe in the community.

People who want proof that it is safe should expect to wait 2 years, IMHO.
You're not going back to work for two years?

I don't know what to say. This seems just beyond all reason. What is motivating these people to put themselves, and even a baby in harm's way?

They don't get it yet. The brother who visited today has been out and about, living life as normal, accommodating people who are demanding 6 feet, and today he said that maybe I and another brother had it right a few weeks ago with full isolation. He's got it today.

Everyone will get it eventually. Some people take a long time to get it. My son is another example of slower to get it. He was in Australia and I told him each day that the window was narrowing regarding options. I told him that restaurants would close, flights would be cancelled, and then suddenly one day out of the blue he said he was getting on a flight the next day. He finally got it in the third week of March.

Canada's leadership in the Public Health Response is almost all women.

"Judging by numbers of deaths from the COVID-19 outbreak in Canada, the country has been handling the coronavirus outbreak comparatively well. Less than 1,000 deaths due to COVID-19 have been reported in total, despite it being one of the first countries outside of China to report cases back in late January..."

Women Are Leading Canada’s Public Health Response To The COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak

Canadian medical experts are mostly women. Premiers and prime minister are men. Women are governing health, wellness and safety recommendations, men are changing law to ensure societal health and wellness.

CDC on Twitter
New data show 9,000+ #COVID19 cases in healthcare personnel were identified from 300,000+ cases reported to CDC from Feb 12–Apr 9. If you need medical care, call ahead & wear a cloth face covering to protect HCP & other patients. @CDCMMWR
Characteristics of Health Care Personnel with COVID-19 — United States
EVlesFcXYAAaSpK.jpg

2:51 PM - 14 Apr 2020

CDC on Twitter
State and local health departments use CDC guidance to work with individual clinicians to make decisions about testing for the virus that causes #COVID19. To learn about testing in your community, visit your state or local health department website:Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
EVl1zb_XsAUTO-5.jpg

4:32 PM - 14 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
More than 1% of New York residents have tested positive for coronavirus, according to data from Johns Hopkins University and the U.S. Census Bureau.
5:06 PM - 14 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
CNN: 600,000 people in the United States have tested positive for coronavirus.
7:00 PM - 14 Apr 2020

Daniel Dale on Twitter
Trump: "The governors are supposed to do testing. It's up to the governors." "It's now not up - and it hasn't been up - to the federal government."
7:09 PM - 14 Apr 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member