Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, probably the wrong thread,but someone asked about texture of quinoa..yogurt parfait made the night before and allowed to rest at least 12 hours in fridge. Added to a salad?

Pintrest Google or cooking thread here?
I'm not sure where it is.
Moo

Just had the strangest visit with a brother. He drove up, stood outside, phoned me, we visited on the phone looking through the front window.

Good for you. The people around the block had some kind of "party" where people drove by and honked.

I hugged my daughter briefly (we take care of our granddaughter in any case - we're all sharing germs at this point). Daughter is not in social contact with anyone for a month, same with granddaughter. However, that's going to change soon.

As things reopen, we older people are going to feel way more isolated than we do now, I fear.

Well after this little stint of staying home I will more than likely start to fall in the category of "large" I fear. Between naps and trips to the kitchen lets just say I am worried if my jeans will even zip up anymore. Bad hair, broken tooth and jeans I can't zip, I am such a pretty picture now..not.
Aww, I'm sorry. This can all wear you down, and we can say looks are superficial, but it is important to be at peace with yourself. If you can, even a little bit of movement does wonders for the mood, if not the bod. If you're a guy, your metabolism seems to kick up a notch (I swear hubby and son get visibly skinnier in a day just by doing a little yard work or a walk). Not me :( But I definitely feel better, even with just 20 or 30 crunches on the floor.

Within this GMA piece, is an embedded article from Daily Mail, making such strong reference to "different strains". Is that actually true. I have certainly heard of heavier virus load in different people but not "strains". Even the NYC cases, which they say came from Europe, still came from Europeans who had been in China. Is there legitimate/technical data out there on these different strains? tia

There are two named strains that I know of, and a couple of theories about the differences. No hard data that I know of. In fact, no agreement on what to call them. Then, there are various versions of each of those.

The version that showed up in Italy came from China (probably via Chinese-Italian workers who had visited China en masse during Chinese New Year) and it is slightly different than another version that remained, already mutated, in China.

I don't know of any research about which version is in my home state (California) but it is the European (Italian-French-British) that came to the East Coast of the US.

I think it's most viral load and not the strain, although the situation in Lombardy really gives me pause. OTOH, way more old people in Lombardy, as well as a tendency toward being overweight among those elderly - and they are highly social. Lack of PPE there, too. It's really really hard to disentangle data about a virus in those circumstances.

What we need are random samples of many different aspects of this outbreak. 1000-2000 people per study would provide statistically important information. We'll get there eventually, but not if everyone is still quarantined.

Parts Of U.S. Could Relax Some Coronavirus Mitigation Before May, Trump Says
Quotes snipped from the above article:
"I will ... be authorizing each individual governor of each individual state to implement a reopening — and a very powerful opening plan — of their state at a time and in a manner as most appropriate," Trump said.
"I'm not going to put any pressure on any governor to open," Trump said.
Elsewhere in the briefing, however, Trump also said that he might try to give himself a veto over the governors' plans: "If we disagree with it, we're not going to let them open," he said.
<modsnip>
"With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic we have deep concerns about whether America's generosity has been put to the best use possible," Trump said.

Leaders Of The Coronavirus Response Effort
From the president to public health experts, here are the officials managing the messaging:

upload_2020-4-14_19-34-14.jpeg
Donald Trump
President
Leading the federal response to the pandemic

Trump restricted travel from China and declared the coronavirus a public health emergency in January. Early on Trump downplayed the threat of the virus, claiming the media and Democrats were trying to use it for political gain. Shifting his tone as the number of U.S. cases climbed, Trump cut off travel from Europe, Canada and Mexico, and issued 15-day guidance to slow the spread, in part by staying 6 feet away from people and avoiding gatherings.

upload_2020-4-14_19-35-15.jpeg
Mike Pence
Vice President
Leading the White House’s coronavirus task force

Pence makes near-daily appearances in the White House briefing room to provide updates on the response. He speaks with governors and other stakeholders to coordinate response strategies. Pence initially pledged that Americans who wanted to be tested would soon be able to do so, but he had to rein in his promise because of shortages. Pence took a coronavirus test after an aide tested positive (Pence tested negative).

upload_2020-4-14_19-36-3.jpeg
Alex Azar
Secretary of Health and Human Services
Member of the White House’s coronavirus task force

Azar was a drug company executive before he became secretary of Health and Human Services in 2018. Azar was general counsel and deputy secretary of the department under George W. Bush. Azar ran the White House’s coronavirus task force until Trump put Pence in charge in February. He has faced criticism for delays in expanding testing for the virus, and he has bristled at suggestions by governors that there are supply shortages such as swabs and reagents needed for the tests.

upload_2020-4-14_19-36-37.jpeg
Dr. Anthony Fauci
Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

Fauci is one of the leading figures in the government’s coronavirus response. He is known for his straight talk during news briefings and TV interviews. Fauci has been the director of the NIAID since 1984, overseeing responses to HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, Ebola, Zika and other public health issues. Former President George W. Bush awarded Fauci the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2008 for his work on the AIDS epidemic.

upload_2020-4-14_19-37-12.jpeg
Dr. Deborah Birx
Coronavirus task force coordinator
HIV/AIDS researcher and U.S. public health ambassador

Birx is an internationally recognized HIV/AIDS expert and a State Department ambassador-at-large who works on global health diplomacy issues. Pence describes Birx as his “right arm” on the task force. Birx directed the CDC’s global HIV/AIDS division before becoming the U.S. global AIDS coordinator in 2014. She has consistently urged Americans, particularly millennials, to take social distancing seriously to stem the virus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also reduced lung capacity due to compression of organs.

I think that this virus attacks the weakest part of the body.

Scientists are trying to define the virus in terms of what it attacks, thinking that knowing which vital organ gets sick will help identify the 'cure'. The virus attacks lungs (acute respiratory distress syndrome), kidneys, intestines (diarrhoea), heart (stroke), blood (encephalitis).

There is no one organ, but it does seem to attack at the weakest point. They're looking at how the virus attaches, and where it sits in the body before there are symptoms - that seems more important than which part of the body fails first.

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
So far today, the U.S. has reported nearly 2,100 new coronavirus deaths, a daily record
Tracking coronavirus: U.S. data
5:02 PM - 14 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
BREAKING: New York City links 3,778 additional deaths to coronavirus under new criteria, raising city's total to 11,683
5:11 PM - 14 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
Statement from NYC Health on the new definition for deaths linked to coronavirus. 6,589 confirmed deaths, 3,778 probable deaths
EVmAHbhXgAEAPCD.jpg

5:18 PM - 14 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
BREAKING: Trump says U.S. will halt funding for WHO while reviewing the organization's role in "mismanaging and covering up" the spread of coronavirus
6:25 PM - 14 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
BREAKING: Number of confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide reaches 2 million
8:36 PM - 14 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
Coronavirus timeline:
- January 19: 100 cases
- January 24: 1,000 cases
- February 12: 50,000 cases
- March 6: 100,000 cases
- March 18: 200,000 cases
- March 26: 500,000 cases
- April 2: 1,000,000 cases
- April 14: 2,000,000 cases
8:40 PM - 14 Apr 2020

Cont’d from above^ Post#173

upload_2020-4-14_19-45-53.jpeg
Dr. Brett Giroir
U.S. assistant secretary for health
Leading oversight of testing efforts

Giroir is the head of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. Pence put him in charge of overseeing the expansion of coronavirus testing and coordinating between public health agencies. As assistant secretary for health, Giroir oversees the office of the Surgeon General. He briefly served as acting FDA chief last year.

upload_2020-4-14_19-46-29.jpeg
Pete Gaynor
Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency
Leading disaster response with state and local governments

Trump put FEMA in charge of the disaster response when he declared that the pandemic was a national emergency. Gaynor oversees the deployment of teams at emergency operations centers across the country to coordinate supplies, testing and field hospitals. He also has a role in determining when to use the Defense Production Act to compel U.S. industries to produce medical supplies.

upload_2020-4-14_19-46-56.jpeg
Dr. Robert Redfield
Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Redfield is a former military doctor and has worked on research and care of infectious diseases, especially HIV/AIDS, for more than 30 years. Redfield has participated in public briefings and congressional hearings. He and other officials have faced criticism for the lack of coronavirus tests available in the U.S. He has also been notably less visible than other task force members.

upload_2020-4-14_19-47-39.jpeg
Dr. Stephen Hahn
Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration
Leading development of vaccine and treatment options

Hahn, an oncologist, is the top regulator for drugs and coronavirus tests. A member of the White House’s coronavirus task force, Hahn told NPR that a vaccine for COVID-19 could take a year or more, and he is leading the FDA’s investigation of using drugs for other ailments to treat patients with the virus.

upload_2020-4-14_19-48-12.jpeg
Dr. Jerome Adams
U.S. surgeon general

Adams regularly appears at news briefings and on TV to give Americans advice about what to do about the risk of contracting the virus. Adams has urged Americans to stay home as much as possible to stem the spread of the virus and stressed that younger Americans should not ignore their risk of being infected.

upload_2020-4-14_19-49-2.jpeg
Chad Wolf
Acting secretary of Homeland Security
Leading efforts to restrict international travel

Wolf became the acting DHS secretary in November 2019. The department oversees FEMA, immigration-related agencies and the Transportation Security Administration, and it implements travel restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus to the U.S. — such as limiting air travel from China and Europe,

So, what has been forgotten? Our children. You cannot go back to work when your child is at home. See map below of US school closures.

Trump has created a reopening panel, "which the White House has dubbed the Great American Economic Revival Industry Groups, includes more than 50 executives and leaders from agricultural, defense and financial service industries, as well as leaders from unions, professional sports, think tanks and more.

Map: Coronavirus and School Closures

Talked with a few friends today who were either getting groceries, dropping off food to others, going to work. City Police and OPP highly visible (OPP-Ontario Provincial Police) Some report folks they know or they themselves have been stopped, just a friendly where are you headed and have a good day. I'm good with that.

It's important to keep that in the news to ensure that no one steps forward claiming they were stopped for some other reason. Everyone being stopped to ensure that people are on essential errands is important for everyone to understand.

Good for you. The people around the block had some kind of "party" where people drove by and honked.

I hugged my daughter briefly (we take care of our granddaughter in any case - we're all sharing germs at this point). Daughter is not in social contact with anyone for a month, same with granddaughter. However, that's going to change soon.

As things reopen, we older people are going to feel way more isolated than we do now, I fear.
I recently saw family embracing through a clear plastic shower curtain - not sure if that’s completely safe but I understand how isolating this can be - I’m glad to be with immediate family since the beginning and they all stay home except for essential workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow